Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
FOTR 10th Anniversary Party Song Parody “Warm Up Act” #1 PUZZLE CHALLENGE EDITION

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 18 2011, 1:53pm

Post #1 of 20 (485 views)
Shortcut
FOTR 10th Anniversary Party Song Parody “Warm Up Act” #1 PUZZLE CHALLENGE EDITION Can't Post

The opening acts are about to start! Sound check... is this mike working?....

As you are hopefully aware, tomorrow is the big 10th anniversary of the premiere of FOTR! It only happens once, folks. So it's only fitting that before the real festivities, some lead-ins take the stage to get things rolling. I will be your host/emcee of these Song Parody threads for the Party, and today you will be seeing two openers including this one. Then, tomorrow during the Party, two headliners will take the stage starting early in the morning.

First up its [BLEEP]. . . . oh I almost gave it away. This is

“NAME THAT TUNE & GUESS THE LYRICS” PUZZLE CHALLENGE EDITION

you're supposed to figure some things out yourself. Kinda makes the job of host/emcee a bit easier, doesn't it? Delegating can be a valuable skill....

OK here's what you'll need to figure out....

OBJECT

Guess the missing sections. Naming the tune is only the beginning and only part of the object of this game, although it may help significantly in guessing some if not all the missing sections. See also ALTERNATE “CREATIVE” VARIANT below.

RULES

Open-book, open-internet.

BONUS POINTS

Post a recording of yourself musically performing the song with your “guesses” is encouraged and will be rewarded.

ALTERNATE “CREATIVE” VARIANT

Rules schmules! Fill-in-the-blanks as you see fit, humorously or otherwise amazingly.

Let’s get it started!!!!!

THE PARTY TREE

[Missing section 1] the Party Tree
At the [missing section 2] near Bag End.
He’ll let us in, at [missing section 3],
To his [missing section 2] near Bag End.

[Missing section 4] my love, you’ll come and see
The [missing section 2] with me.
[Missing section 5]

We would gaze awed, indeed slack-jawed,
At the dazzling display of blooming fire,
Hear daring tales, nursing our ales,
At the most awaited [missing section 6] in the Shire.

We would skulk and scope around
For valuables as can be found.
[Missing section 5]

We would steal, or cop a feel
Of silverware at every seating place
(…ware at every seating place)
Oh what joy, for [missing section 7] boy,
Showing no wrinkles on his face.
(wrinkles on his face)

[Missing section 8]
With Baggins gone, I’d know just what to do.
[Missing section 1] the Party Tree
From the Sackville Bag End [missing section 9] with you.

CLUES

Each letter of the alphabet is replaced with “x” except where revealed as a clue; punctuation, spaces, and capitalization remain intact. Additional clues are in parentheses.

Missing section 1 = X’x xxxx xx xxx
(Almost from the source lyrics)

Missing section 2 = xxxx-xxxxxxxx xxxxx

Missing section 3 = Xxxxxxxx

Missing section 4 = proper noun

Missing section 5 = X’x xxxx xx xx under xxx Xxxx
(Almost from the source lyrics)

Missing section 6 = sxxxdxx

Missing section 7 = Xxxxxxxxxx’x

Missing section 8 = Xx xxxxx xx xx xxxxx xxx xxx xx.
(from the source lyrics)

Missing section 9 = xxxxxx (from the source lyrics)

Good luck, enjoy, have fun, don't block the fire exits (unless you have legs and you promise to run out those exits in case of alarm), and don't forget to tip your servers (unless tipping them would cause them to fall over and possibly shut down, interrupting the game)!

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 18 2011, 4:41pm

Post #2 of 20 (107 views)
Shortcut
Got It!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll get learning it on the guitar immediately :D (BTW it took hours. That WAS NOT a "Warm Up"

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Dec 18 2011, 4:44pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 18 2011, 5:00pm

Post #3 of 20 (104 views)
Shortcut
Just to be sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

Section 2 xxxx-xxxxxxxx xxxxx should have 1 more x at the end, right? Unless you want it to be a field? It would be more correct but doesn't sound as good Wink

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 18 2011, 5:02pm

Post #4 of 20 (98 views)
Shortcut
awesome! and, whoops! [In reply to] Can't Post

great job! truly looking forward to hearing/seeing your performance!

and, maybe "warm up" was the wrong phrase to use. I may have overcompensated a bit against making it too easy/boring. Blush

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 18 2011, 5:13pm

Post #5 of 20 (120 views)
Shortcut
perhaps some hints? [In reply to] Can't Post

For those of us completely stymied. Maybe one hint per post clearly labeled and put in spoiler font (turn the color of the font to eeeeee - highlight to reveal for reading.)

Some types:
  • era / decade
  • style of song (rock, pop, ballad, tradition, cowboy!)
If I know it's a pop song from the 90's, I'll also know to give up! If it's an Appalachian ballad or traditional English tune, I might have a chance. :-) Or something from the dark ages. The 60s!

those answering can cop to using a hint if they feel it gave them an unfair edge.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Get your FOTR 10th Anniversary footer HERE.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 18 2011, 5:22pm

Post #6 of 20 (104 views)
Shortcut
i've checked Missing Section 2 and [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for checking. in this case, no, I'm sticking by what's there. I think you may be barking up a different Party Tree. Smile

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 18 2011, 5:28pm

Post #7 of 20 (103 views)
Shortcut
The last part repeating is what made it click for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

section 9 has 2 syllables

Can't figure out section 6... Frown

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 18 2011, 5:36pm

Post #8 of 20 (97 views)
Shortcut
sure, but i'm having trouble with spoiler tag [In reply to] Can't Post

i tried "[spoiler]" and "[eeeee]" they don't seem to work for me. i looked at "Get Markup Help" but am i missing it?

or i could PM you a hint if you like. Anyone who needs a hint, I'd be happy to PM.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 18 2011, 6:14pm

Post #9 of 20 (103 views)
Shortcut
hint (SPOILER) [In reply to] Can't Post

Spoiler. Scroll down

Spoiler
famous rock band 60s end spoiler

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 18 2011, 7:10pm

Post #10 of 20 (91 views)
Shortcut
eeeeee [In reply to] Can't Post

Hidden font between brackets
>>

You write your text. Highlight it. Click the font color button.
And next to the word: Sample - you type eeeeee

<<

btw: the font color button is hidden in my screen shot but it's an A with a fat red underline.

If you don't have the toolbar (chrome doesn't have it and I don't think safari does) then you write the code as below but replacing fancy brackets with square brackets.

It turns the font the grey color of the background and white works pretty well (which you did) if that's easier.

{#eeeeee}
{/#eeeeee}

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 18 2011, 7:15pm

Post #11 of 20 (94 views)
Shortcut
I got a song stuck in my head and can't get it out [In reply to] Can't Post

My first thought was an old song called the Prickly Bush by A.L. Lloyd which has a line, "Or have you come to see me hung all on the high gallows tree'.

Led Zepplin did a rock version that I tried out but they call it the 'Gallow's Pole', not tree.

But both tunes are stuck in my head and I can't get them out. I'll have to try later.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 18 2011, 8:47pm

Post #12 of 20 (92 views)
Shortcut
now I get it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you magpie!

experiment
spoiler test
testing end of spoiler test

yay it worked!

now that I know how to do spoiler tag, let me know if you need any more hints.

Just a suggestion, even if you can't figure out the tune, you might still be able to solve the puzzle. The Clues, as well as the text of the parody lyrics shown, are your friends. Rhyme and meter patterns as well as the content of the shown lyrics, together with info provided by the clues, can help fill in blanks, which may help identify the tune...which then may help fill in more blanks. It's a bit like a crossword puzzle, as the more blanks you fill in, the more that helps you fill other things in. remember, the goal is not to Name That Tune, it's to fill in the Missing Sections.

I hope you get it!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2011, 8:29am

Post #13 of 20 (95 views)
Shortcut
I know this is A BIT delayed, (ANSWERS/SPOILERS) [In reply to] Can't Post

and I am a bit fatigued to grab a book and do some full research, but I'd like to make the call that this is based around The Beatles' "Octopus's Garden"?

I can imagine that I am wrong, but as far as I can tell this sounds like the same song (as I can tell).

"Oh, the cleverness of me."

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 20 2011, 12:42pm

Post #14 of 20 (80 views)
Shortcut
spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

spoilers You've cracked the tune! Great job! Now the Missing Sections should be easy for you to guess, most of them anyway. End spoiler

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 24 2011, 2:12am

Post #15 of 20 (120 views)
Shortcut
Wrap-up with solutions (Spoiler) [In reply to] Can't Post

And now, the wrap up. On behalf of weaver, magpie, the one ringer, and myself, I wanted to thank everybody who came to help us celebrate FOTR's 10th anniversary. I want to personally thank everyone above who stopped by my thread.

And now, the solutions and the complete song parody.
Spoiler:

Missing section 1 = I’d like to see

Missing section 2 = long-expected party

Missing section 3 = Hobbiton

Missing section 4 = Otho

Missing section 5 = I’d like to be under the Tree

Missing section 6 = shindig

Missing section 7 = Belladonna’s

Missing section 8 = We would be so happy you and me.

Missing section 9 = garden

The Party Tree

I’d like to see the Party Tree
At the long-expected party near Bag End.
He’ll let us in, at Hobbiton,
To his long-expected party near Bag End.

Otho my love, you’ll come and see
The long-expected party with me.
I’d like to be under the Tree

We would gaze awed, indeed slack-jawed,
At the dazzling display of blooming fire,
Hear daring tales, nursing our ales,
At the most awaited shindig in the Shire.

We would skulk and scope around
For valuables as can be found.
I’d like to be under the Tree

We would steal, or cop a feel
Of silverware at every seating place
(…ware at every seating place)
Oh what joy, for Belladonna’s boy,
Showing no wrinkles on his face.
(wrinkles on his face)

We would be so happy you and me
With Baggins gone, I’d know just what to do.
I’d like to see the Party Tree
From a Sackville Bag End garden with you.

Source audio with lyrics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRu-oEwA0Ec
Source lyrics only http://www.lyrics007.com/...Garden%20Lyrics.html

End Spoiler.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 24 2011, 3:10am

Post #16 of 20 (70 views)
Shortcut
oi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was not meant to solve these. I have a knack with certain aspects of music but I don't think it covers my ability to solve this sort of puzzle.

That seems insanely easy once presented. I would never have gotten there on my own.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 25 2011, 3:57am

Post #17 of 20 (84 views)
Shortcut
ACK I messed up big time! This is to declare Quacking_Troll [In reply to] Can't Post

as the winner of this puzzle thread!

and me, I owe him a big apology because he sent me his answers by PM, timely, but nonetheless I somehow didn't see it until just a moment ago, which is no one's fault but my own.

Not only that, but he performed his answers on video on guitar and vocals, and was brilliant! and is entitled to a reward for doing so, but naturally I do the opposite and fail to acknowledge... *hangs head* I've apologized to him by PM a short while ago, but I wanted to say openly here, I am so truly sorry. *bangs head against wall*

So first, the prize for solving the puzzle. Then the reward for performing the solutions and posting the recording. And then something extra because I feel so bad.

The prize for solving: a shining gold plaque in the shape of a square 12" x 12", showing Paul as Frodo, Ringo as Sam, George as Gandalf, and John as Gollum, and they are walking in single file from left to right, across a road that passes through Hobbiton (in the same positions in which they are captured on the cover of Abbey Road, the album where the song Octopus's Garden was featured).

The bonus for recording his performance of the solution:

a second plaque, with the Fab Four in the same costumes, but this time they are in the foreground, and surrounding them is a host of characters also in costume representing a character from Middle Earth...every single person who appears on the cover of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album, everyone in the same pose and location. The setting is changed to, where else? the Party Tree as the backdrop, during Bilbo's 111th birthday celebration.

And as an extra b/c I messed up so badly:

for my next song parody, Quacking_Troll may pick (a) the subject matter of the parody, from The Hobbit or LOTR, AND (b) either the song, the artist, or the music genre, to be parodied

and I'll do my best to make it a great one! and it will be dedicated to Quacking_Troll. AND Quacking_Troll may perform it, record it, post it whereever he may choose, and may state in doing so that it was dedicated to him and that I wrote for him specifically, and may even relate these circumstances in what may turn out to be an amusing anecdote.

Congratulations, sorry once again, and Merry Christmas, Quacking_Troll! I will be presenting you your prizes shortly.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 25 2011, 4:19am

Post #18 of 20 (116 views)
Shortcut
*Presents you, Quacking_Troll, your prizes and delivers a heartfelt apology* [In reply to] Can't Post

as said by PM and in the other post below, I'm so sorry and feel so bad for missing your PM and failing to acknowledge your submission. Especially after all the effort you put in, not just solving the puzzle which was not designed to be easy, but also performing it and recording it... ugh, sorry just isn't enough.

so here are your plaques as your prize for the solution, and as your extra prize for the recording... and as explained in the other post in this thread, as my act of contrition, I will write and post a song parody that will be dedicated to you and written for you, with your choice of

(a) the subject matter, from the Hobbit or LOTR, and (b) either the song, the artist, or the music genre to be parodied. As an option, you don't have to choose both, you can elect to choose either, and then let my choice of the other one be a surprise.

Plus, you may freely perform, record, and post your performance of the parody wherever you choose, and you may indicate in doing so that it was dedicated to you and written for you specifically. And you may relate the circumstances, in what may turn out to be an amusing anecdote.

"And you can tell everybody / this is your...apology-parody" (or something like that) -- (apologies to) Elton John.

So, as said elsewhere, congratulations, sorry again, and Merry Christmas!

Sincerely,
Ruxendil Thoorg.

(This post was edited by Ruxendil_Thoorg on Dec 25 2011, 4:19am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 26 2011, 10:32pm

Post #19 of 20 (97 views)
Shortcut
Hehehe, awesome prize, Thankyou!! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wouldn't like to restrict your creativity too much or make it too hard, so I'll give you a lot of slack...

Being a huge Beatles fan I have to say one of these would be fun...

Beatles: Black Bird
Beatles: Dear Prudence
Beatles: I Want You (She's So Heavy)

There's also The Who - My Generation which I think would be great for Gollum, but a substitute word for generation is annoyingly really tough.

Or if you haven't already done one? House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (or IMO Bob Dylan's version is better) Sounds like something you might've already written.. but for any of Middle Earth's locations this one would be great!

Hopefully that gives you enough options to work with, look forward to seeing what you choose Tongue

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Dec 26 2011, 10:39pm)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2011, 4:52am

Post #20 of 20 (309 views)
Shortcut
Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

OK I will be posting your apology-parody on the Main forum shortly. I am also PM'ing you, as you might not actively be following this thread. I hope you enjoy it! --RT

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.