Did you like the Hobbit trailer? Can't Post

I loved it!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 8:41pm

Post #2 of 32 (435 views)
Shortcut
Honestly loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering how early it still is, and how little they've filmed, I'm more than satisfied. The discussions and the occasional articles we have sometimes make me freak out and be pessimistic, but whenever I see actual footage of them filming it.... woah. Love love love love~

There were some minor things I wasn't happy with, but the bigger picture looks great.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 21 2011, 8:41pm

Post #3 of 32 (429 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the music! Nice to see Shore has started working on the score. Love the glimpses of slapstick. There is even a glimpse of a possible "chip the glasses" production number. (Whew! Worried they'd go all "LOTR-serious" on us!) Interesting shot of Gandalf fighting Thrain's zombie. (Trust PJ to stick in zombies!) Unfortunately the mounted Elves surrounding the Dwarves in Rivendell suggest an attitude other than "tra-la-lally". (Darn!) The sight of Bilbo sprinting to The Green Dragon waving the burglar contract was just wonderful. The Dwarves are definitely growing quite well on me. Oh, and love the music!

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 21 2011, 8:59pm

Post #4 of 32 (437 views)
Shortcut
Loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

With a couple of "um...wut?" moments.

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 21 2011, 9:00pm

Post #5 of 32 (485 views)
Shortcut
Are we sure that's Rivendell? [In reply to] Can't Post

Could it not be the Wood-elves in Mirkwood?

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 21 2011, 9:05pm

Post #6 of 32 (544 views)
Shortcut
Ooo! You're right!! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's still hope for tra-la-lally Elves!!!! I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope!!!

(Those guys still look like Vulcans, though. Bleech! Elves ain't Vulcans!! I wish that trope had never gotten started!!!)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 22 2011, 1:03am

Post #7 of 32 (485 views)
Shortcut
Dang! I was all prepared to be proudly contrary... [In reply to] Can't Post

and announce that "I wouldn't know, as I haven't watched it or any of the video blogs either!"...and then I caught Peter Jackson's name on an entertainment show, and ran from computer to TV to catch a glimpse of the trailer. =) What little I saw of it looked good.

So, can I still keep the NARF title if I continue to only watch what makes it onto network TV? ;)

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Dec 22 2011, 1:04am)

Spencissimus
Lorien

Dec 22 2011, 1:20am

Post #8 of 32 (439 views)
Shortcut
Everything about it was amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

What I loved about it is that Gandalf looks a lot more Gandalfy in the Hobbit! I'm not saying that he wasn't Gandalfy in the Lord of the Rings, but here he looks superb! Maybe it's the additions and alterations to his costume?

Bilbo looks perfect, the dwarves looks perfect, Cate looks gorgeous as ever, the sets look amazing (as does the beautiful NZ scenery) the song was wonderful, and what I'm 500% sure is a snippet from Shore's score (and undoubtedly the main theme too!) blew me away!

December next year can't come soon enough!

(This post was edited by Spencissimus on Dec 22 2011, 1:27am)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2011, 1:44am

Post #9 of 32 (406 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit and I did some screen caps from the trailer. If you look at where Gladriel and Gandalf are standing on a cliff, below them is a bridge and that same bridge is shown in the elves on horses riding around the dwarves.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2011, 1:47am

Post #10 of 32 (439 views)
Shortcut
A life changing experience! [In reply to] Can't Post

Until now, I was kind of just waiting knowing I would be seeing The Hobbit, but not particularly excited -- NOT ANY MORE! Loved the trailer. Thank you PJ and Co.

I have turned from mild interest to a grammaboodog clone!

sador
Half-elven

Dec 22 2011, 9:44am

Post #11 of 32 (390 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

And so did my son, despite being puzzled as to what Galadriel was doing in it - as she wasn't in the book.

I was very happy with the song, a bit less with Dol Guldur (well, it was good - but the less we see of that storyline, the better). But have they done with the "at your service" part? Shocked

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 22 2011, 3:06pm

Post #12 of 32 (405 views)
Shortcut
Can the boards handle two grammaboodawgs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 22 2011, 3:14pm

Post #13 of 32 (413 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite parts are when all the dwarves fall in Bilbo's front door; and when Bilbo is running after the dwarves with his burglar note in his hand.

Oh, and Bilbo trying to ride the pony.

Oh, and the dwarf song.

Oh, and the "chip the cups" scene.

Oh, and Bilbo looking at Sting.

And while Thorin Oakenshield will remain my favorite dwarf, there is a growing sweet spot for Fili in my heart. He just looks so cheeky! Laugh

(This post was edited by Alassëa Eruvande on Dec 22 2011, 3:21pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2011, 3:17pm

Post #14 of 32 (428 views)
Shortcut
Poor Fili is being overshadowed by the attention given to Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks like a great young Dwarf!

Also Bofur and Nori and growing on me more and more every time I see them.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 22 2011, 6:18pm

Post #15 of 32 (369 views)
Shortcut
Ditto to everything you said, 100% // [In reply to] Can't Post

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Dec 22 2011, 8:19pm

Post #16 of 32 (374 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman. Is. A. Hobbit. Honestly. He's sooooooooo carrot picking cute in the ultra innocent child cuteness. He's perfect. And the horse clip was really funny.

And I loved the Dwarves singing. That was awesome.

And Gollum at the end...wow.

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Dec 22 2011, 11:34pm

Post #17 of 32 (355 views)
Shortcut
Utterly completely amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm rereading the Hobbit now for the first time in a decade, and enoying all that I had forgotten. So much humor in the book, fun and adventure!
I was afraid that PJ would make the dwarves too comical, like he made Gimli in LOTR. But then I took one look at the majestic, powerful looking Thorin solemnly singing, and the rest of the dwarves standing up one by one to sing with him, and I got chills!
I felt like Bilbo did, I wanted to jump up from my computer and run out the door at that moment and fight dragons for lost honor and glory and gold! (But I guess just reading about it and seeing the movie will have to do Smile)
I was also amazed by the absolute beauty of Middle Earth! Yes, I've seen it again and again in the LOTR movies, but I don't know, it all looked so much greener, and bright, and exquisitely detailed!
Martin Freeman makes a perfect hobbit, he even looks like a young Ian Holm. I wasn't sure I'd like the highly stylized dwarves, but they looked awesome!
I agree with a poster above that Gandalf looks more Gandalf-y. I guess its because this was in a more innocent time, before Sauron returned and the ring and the uruk-hai and his friend Saruman's betrayal. He's our beloved Gandalf the Grey, though worried must be heavy on his mind the way Galadriel gently touched his beard in concern.
All that in one short trailer! I can't wait to see the whole movie!

Vangalad
Lorien

Dec 23 2011, 10:19am

Post #18 of 32 (342 views)
Shortcut
During those 2.32 min [In reply to] Can't Post

I traveled back to the fascinating world of Middle Earth, saw familiar and new faces, locations...how couldn't I love it?Smile

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2011, 5:21pm

Post #19 of 32 (340 views)
Shortcut
I was discussing . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

dwarves with OhioHobbit and I asked him if he thought short men were going to become a lot more popular after this movie with so many dwarves who don't look half bad!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 24 2011, 12:38am

Post #20 of 32 (377 views)
Shortcut
I had to downgrade it to "great"... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't like the conversation between Thorin and Gandalf about not taking responsibility for Bilbo's safety. To me, very much against the grain of the book and wholly unnecessary to spur drama for this film.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 24 2011, 12:40am

Post #21 of 32 (333 views)
Shortcut
Agreed!// [In reply to] Can't Post

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 24 2011, 12:42am

Post #22 of 32 (341 views)
Shortcut
Of COURSE you can, my dear curmudgeon! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'll take out my authentic replica Anduril and run through anyone that tells ya different! Smile

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Dec 24 2011, 5:37pm

Post #23 of 32 (353 views)
Shortcut
wasn't this in the appendices though? [In reply to] Can't Post

I could swear this was in the appendices? Could be wrong but...

I can see what you're saying though.

I thought it was good. A nice first taste.

There is plenty more to come.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 24 2011, 6:47pm

Post #24 of 32 (371 views)
Shortcut
There are no appendices to The Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

I checked LotR and it's not there, but I believe in The Sil that there's a bit on The Unexpected Party. Nope! Unfinished Tales has "The Quest of Erebor". Re-reading now...Yes, there is clear precedent for it in "The Quest..." in Unfinished Tales, but still I don't like it as unnecessarily darkening the tale. But thank you for the prompt and I can provisionally go back up to "Love it!" from your diligence and gentle remonstrance.
Remember that I did not enjoy TTT at all and RotK not so much as Fellowship because of the "cinematic changes" that Mr Jackson felt necessary, but to me at least (and at least a FEW others) marred the story so I am wary of changes and know The Hobbit quite well.
Your reminder jogged my memory but I'd only read "The Quest of Erebor" once, and that was nigh on thirty years ago now.
<bows deeply> I am in your debt.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Dec 24 2011, 7:46pm

Post #25 of 32 (312 views)
Shortcut
Thank you :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, GAndyalf for the clarification regarding your tastes and likes/dislikes. I did not know your dislike of TTT and RoTK because of the cinematic changes. I certainly do not mean to presume I speak for anyone's tastes here.

I've noticed several of my posts here today are incomplete thoughts. Of which my initial response to you regarding Appendices is one such oops. ...Erebor is in Unfinished Tails.

I suspect, in addition to Oakenshields' look, they are playing down how cantankerous the literary variant of Thorin is. The adaptaters do not want the masses hating this
haughty dwarf now do they? Of course, this kind of rankles me as Thorin is my favorite character from Middle Earth as I grew to love him as he grew to understand there was more to this world than his self-centered, single mindedness.

Back on topic, I can understand your desire not to throw more darkness into what is an often bright and fun tale (The Hobbit). LoTR is smothering darkness and one of the reasons why I am so
looking forward to the Hobbit is for the early mirth and the all around fun adventure. A more innocent and bright Middle Earth I guess.

I am of the same mind when it comes to adapting other books/comics I love, but I am trying not to be so hard on this since there is nothing I can do to change what little quibbles I do have.

Thanks for your kind words and being a long time fan.

I've loved the Hobbit for nearly as long but have a lot to learn as far as Tolkien.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.