Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
If you celebrate christmas...
Poll: If you celebrate christmas...
24th december
25th december
Other date?
View Results (39 votes)

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 22 2011, 10:52pm

Post #1 of 18 (644 views)
Shortcut
If you celebrate christmas... Can't Post

On which date do you do so? I have noticed a widespread variety between the 24th december and 25th december, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as the day when christmas is celebrated. In many European countries at least, from what I know, it's pretty much 50/50 between the 24th and the 25th - don't ask me why. Here in Sweden we celebrate only on the 24th, for instance, but I have noticed that in for instance America christmas is celebrated mostly on the 25th.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2011, 11:18pm

Post #2 of 18 (348 views)
Shortcut
24th [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in Finland we usually celebrate the eves of any holiday more than the actual day... it's weird, but there you go.

Though while 24th is the main celebration day, 25th is no way forgotten. Everybody stays home and eats and eats and just chills with family and friends.

Spencissimus
Lorien

Dec 22 2011, 11:39pm

Post #3 of 18 (328 views)
Shortcut
the 25th [In reply to] Can't Post

Complete with the perfect combination of family, food, alcohol and gift-giving!

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Dec 23 2011, 1:02am

Post #4 of 18 (320 views)
Shortcut
Depends [In reply to] Can't Post

Family of people who often work on Christmas Day (correctional officers and police) so celebration scheduling reflects which day they are on duty.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 23 2011, 3:49am

Post #5 of 18 (323 views)
Shortcut
I said 25th but it really should be both. [In reply to] Can't Post

On Christmas Eve we go to church, where it has become a tradition for me to play LotR music on my harp (that's on tap again this year.) On Christmas morning we open stockings, then get togther with the extended family for a dinner and exchange presents.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 23 2011, 7:56am

Post #6 of 18 (341 views)
Shortcut
Midnight Mass, night of 24/25. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the big religious service for many Catholic & Protestant churches in the US (some Protestant churches don't call it Mass, but have a service at midnight). But the 25th is the day when kids wake up to see what Santa has brought, and everyone opens presents.

sador
Half-elven

Dec 23 2011, 9:21am

Post #7 of 18 (322 views)
Shortcut
What about January 7th? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the Eastren Orthodox date, based on the Julian calendar.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 23 2011, 9:34pm

Post #8 of 18 (316 views)
Shortcut
17th [In reply to] Can't Post

(Wifey's a Pagan.)

Then my family on the evening of the 24th.

And her family on the morning of the 25th.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 24 2011, 12:00am

Post #9 of 18 (416 views)
Shortcut
OK, 'splain. [In reply to] Can't Post

The pagans I know celebrate on the 21st. I'm ready to learn something new.

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 24 2011, 3:12am

Post #10 of 18 (312 views)
Shortcut
It's always been Christmas Eve celebrations [In reply to] Can't Post

in my family. The biggest meal, the presents under the tree get opened, the most booze is consumed....then Christmas morning, a gigantic ( hobbit sized ) breakfast that everyone helps prepare.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Dec 24 2011, 5:33pm

Post #11 of 18 (276 views)
Shortcut
yes a variety of dates [In reply to] Can't Post

We normally celebrate the 25th, but this year it's tonight.

I hope everyone here has a lovely celebration with their families.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2011, 8:58pm

Post #12 of 18 (275 views)
Shortcut
25th and 26th [In reply to] Can't Post

First day of Christmas and second day of Christmas here in Holland.

People who go to church go to midnight mass on 24th/25th. It is more coming into fashion to have a dinner on the 24th, but it really is celebrated on the 25th here. And the 26th is extra. Furniture stores etc. are open on the 26th, all though you won't find me there, way too busy, somehow people don't seem to be able to entertain themselves for two days.

willowing
Lorien

Dec 25 2011, 1:32am

Post #13 of 18 (283 views)
Shortcut
Christmas falls on the 25 December [In reply to] Can't Post

in New Zealand The day before(24 December) the shops are still open and people still rushing around looking for the last minute bargains before the shops close at 9.00pm. Cool

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 25 2011, 6:41pm

Post #14 of 18 (265 views)
Shortcut
It's when we put Saturn on top of the tree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dec 17th is Saturnalia. Later it was expanded to a whole week.

That's what Wifey sez.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 26 2011, 1:40am

Post #15 of 18 (306 views)
Shortcut
"Keep Saturn in Saturday" [In reply to] Can't Post

as one of my friends says in reply to "Keep Christ in Christmas. Or "Keep Thor in Thursday". etc.

Thanks, I was guessing it might be Saturnalia, but I wasn't sure.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2011, 4:41pm

Post #16 of 18 (262 views)
Shortcut
I picked 'Other', although.... [In reply to] Can't Post

My family celebrates on the 25th, at least partially. My wife's family celebrates on the 24th, so we do a Christmas event there on that date. Then we wake up at my mom's place on the 25th for my famlies Xmas....then my father rolls into town on the 26th to celebrate Xmas. This year though, we travelled to him on the 27th for Christmas.....so we're all over the map, but I grew up celebrating the 25th...

Patty
Immortal

Jan 1 2012, 3:29am

Post #17 of 18 (257 views)
Shortcut
The GrandPattys always want to open one gift on Christmas Eve... [In reply to] Can't Post

but they were out of luck this year.

We always mainly celebrate on Dec. 25th.

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Jan 16 2012, 10:54pm

Post #18 of 18 (300 views)
Shortcut
I said other date because [In reply to] Can't Post

We have to celebrate Christmas at least 3 times in my family! We have a Christmas when my younger brother comes to visit. Then, Christmas eve is the Children's Christmas because my sister's kids have to go to their daddy's (her ex-husbands) on Christmas Day. Then, when my older brother comes to visit, sometime between Christmas and New Year, we have Christmas again with his children.
The celebration lasts almost all December! I try to not take down my tree until after January 6, but usually I am sick of it by New Year and want a fresh new beginning to the year and am off that day so it usually comes down then. I'm a Christian, and love Christmas, but it is exhausting!

Speaking of exhausting, I'm trying to get a photo to show up in my posts but it's not working!Unsure

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.