Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
So... how well do we know our Dwarves now? Read the questions before answering!!
Poll: So... who well do we know our Dwarves now? Read the questions before answering!!
I recognize all 13 Dwarves
I recognize 9-12 Dwarves
I recognize 5-8 Dwarves
I recognize 1-4 Dwarves
I recognize none of the Dwarves
I can tell the actors of all 13 Dwarves
I can tell the actors of 9-12 Dwarves
I can tell the actors of 5-8 Dwarves
I can tell the actors of 1-4 Dwarves
I can't remember any of the Dwarven actors
View Results (67 votes)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2011, 2:31pm

Post #1 of 11 (482 views)
Shortcut
So... how well do we know our Dwarves now? Read the questions before answering!! Can't Post

July 19 I asked how well people know their Dwarves. People recognized some of the Dwarves and could name few of the actors. Have things changed? 3 months later, let's have another round!

PLEASE ANSWER BOTH QUESTIONS!

First answer how many Dwarves could you name just by seeing them in full make-up and costume? To do this, choose one of the Options 1-5.

Then answer can you tell the names of the actors playing the Dwarves? You don't need to recognize the Dwarves from a picture, just to be able to connect the name of an actor to the name of the right Dwarf. To do this, choose one of the Options 6-10.

If you are doing this correctly, you've chosen two Options, one from between 1 and 5, and another between 6 and 10.

On a side note... like PJ, I thougt the Dwarves would be the inevitable evil of these films. Now I absolutely love them, even to the point of saying that from what we've seen thus far, they're the best of these films... as they should be, really.

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Dec 22 2011, 2:33pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2011, 3:19pm

Post #2 of 11 (191 views)
Shortcut
And..... the first voter didn't read the questions..... or the title....... [In reply to] Can't Post

*facepalm*

Though I suspected this might be too hard. Unsure

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 22 2011, 4:01pm

Post #3 of 11 (206 views)
Shortcut
I still have to stop and think about Dwalin. [In reply to] Can't Post

And Oin and Gloin stop me in my tracks until I ponder a few moments. But I think I've sorted the rest out.

I'm less good with the actors' names. If someone gave me a list of all 13 actors' names, I might be able to pin them to the correct dwarf, but I probably couldn't dredge up all 13 names out of my own memory.

Delrond
Rohan

Dec 22 2011, 4:05pm

Post #4 of 11 (163 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

about the actors' names. Although I can recall James Nesbitt due to that goofy hat he's wearing.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2011, 4:26pm

Post #5 of 11 (169 views)
Shortcut
Corrected it with my own vote [In reply to] Can't Post

Only voted for the first question, as my second question would have been the same as that of the first voter's.

I can recognize all of the Dwarves - even from behind or in different clothes. I can only name Armitage without any problem, and if I try Nesbitt, Kircher, McTavis and Aidan Turner come to mind.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2011, 4:29pm

Post #6 of 11 (177 views)
Shortcut
Funny that Oin and Gloin are the hardest one for me too [In reply to] Can't Post

With the others I don't need to even think, but Oin and Gloin take a second. Is it (ironically) because they look most like the standard fantasy Dwarf?

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 22 2011, 5:34pm

Post #7 of 11 (172 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe it's just the sibling phenomenon. [In reply to] Can't Post

(I don't know that Oin and Gloin are brothers, but they're certainly related and the name similarity feels like brothers.)

But I have the same trouble with real life siblings. I know one of 'em is Susie and one of 'em is Betty, but until I make an effort to remember that Susie has freckles and Betty is blond, I can't keep 'em straight.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Dec 24 2011, 5:29pm

Post #8 of 11 (163 views)
Shortcut
Let's give this a go [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin (Ken Stott),
Dwalin (Graham McTavish),
Thorin (Richard Armitage),
Kili (Aidan Turner),
Bombur (Stephen Hunter),
Bofur (James Nesbitt),
Nori (Jed Brophy),
Bifur (William Kircher)

Oin, Gloin, Dori, Fili, Ori (alas I don't remember the actors playing these fine fellows of the Houses of Durin etc.).

I think I'm more prone to remember the actors behind characters I really like (although I'm surprised I remembered the thesps behind Dwalin and Kili).

Not sure if I answered this right (don't understand the options 1-5 and 6-10 was that the poll?)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2011, 2:13am

Post #9 of 11 (140 views)
Shortcut
It seems we've learn to know the Dwarves a little better, but still don't remember their actors [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ, you must immediatelly fix this situation! In the next vlog, let all the Dwarven actors speak. Nay, let them play a Dwarf recognition game!

Alientraveller
Lorien

Dec 30 2011, 12:31pm

Post #10 of 11 (133 views)
Shortcut
I can recognize all thirteen [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin - Richard Armitage.
Kili - Aidan Turner.
Fili - Kili's blonde brother. Replaced that fellow from EastEnders.
Balin - The old Dwarf later buried in Moria (Ken Stott).
Dwalin - His ironhided brother played by Graham MacTavish.
Bofur - James Nesbitt with a sherpa hat.
Bifur - Damaged. Kircher's his surname right?
Bombur - Disabled. He's the Australian diving shirtless from the advert.
Dori - The first Dwarf we ever saw. And I happen to remember he's the same man who played Herb the cameraman in King Kong. Apparently he doesn't wear trousers.
Ori - The mitten monk.
Nori - The creep from Heavenly Creatures, now with bizarre hair.
Gloin - Gimli's dad (Peter Hambleton).
Oin - His grey haired brother. I can recall his actor having a white moustache in the diaries.

Niniel Valinor
Rivendell

Dec 30 2011, 10:18pm

Post #11 of 11 (245 views)
Shortcut
Yey go me! [In reply to] Can't Post

lol I can tell all the dwarves from one another now and mostly the actors. When I see them I know who they play, but there's maybe one or two I have to double check the name on to remember - well the name lol

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.