Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
THE HOBBIT..no progress

hbteamhuh

Sep 15 2007, 7:26am

Post #1 of 14 (1372 views)
Shortcut
THE HOBBIT..no progress Can't Post

I think that there has been generally no progress on THE HOBBIT movie yet.... SOMEONE HAS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT........US LOTR have a big say so.....WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING....

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 17 2007, 5:18pm)

Patty
Immortal

Sep 15 2007, 7:21pm

Post #2 of 14 (1082 views)
Shortcut
If the clouds part and PJ is to be the director... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've long held a theory that he, Fran, and Phillipa have the scripts mostly written in their "spare" time, just waiting for the call. If our hopes come true, it shouldn't take him long to get it filmed then.

For Gondor!

Milady
Rivendell

Sep 15 2007, 9:16pm

Post #3 of 14 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Oh noes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, if PJ directs it I'm not sure if I WANT to see it...Oh well. There are worse directors out there.

Middle-Earth stands on the brink of destruction.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 17 2007, 12:43am

Post #4 of 14 (1040 views)
Shortcut
PLEASE- IAN HOLM IAN HOLM IAN HOLM - PLEASE [In reply to] Can't Post

The real problem is Ian Holm.
I absolutely don't want another actor to play Bilbo, period.
If Ian Holm can't do it, I don't want it.
There are two solutions I hope the producers/director will consider (if Holm can't do it):
1-finding an actor who looks like a young Ian Holm, and then
a) call Holm to dub this guy
b) reshoot the scene in LOTR when Bilbo finds the Ring with this guy, leaving the voice of Holm.
2-use the performance capture, but we always need Holm to do the voice over. I guess by the time they decide to do it, P could be a viable option.

I really hope they consider these two alternatives... doing the Hobbit in another way would be just... not right.

PS: excuse my English...

Milady
Rivendell

Sep 17 2007, 1:21am

Post #5 of 14 (1007 views)
Shortcut
I hope so too [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this a big problem? Did Ian Holm say he wouldn't do it? Did I miss something?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 17 2007, 9:29am

Post #6 of 14 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Well... they could [In reply to] Can't Post

do a Princess Bride approach where they have our Ian Holm Bilbo telling the story to a group of little hobbits gathered on the floor or chairs around him (like at his party). We could even have Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin and maybe some others listening in with knowing smiles on their faces.

Remember in Rivendell when Frodo told Bilbo he used to pretend he was off with him on one of his adventures? This would be a way for Elijah Wood to play both Frodo and Bilbo as he imagines himself on the adventure. I know, I know, it's a stretch... but we do enjoy the fantasy of Middle-earth, right ;)

I agree that Ian Holm MUST be somewhere in the mix, but time is not... sadly... on our side. I fear the same thing with Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee. The film companies better stop their posturing and get on with it!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 18 2007, 12:37am

Post #7 of 14 (999 views)
Shortcut
I just hope Peter Jackson and Co. understand that... [In reply to] Can't Post

it would be a complete nonsense to use a different actor, or at least a "completely" different actor (see my solutions).
If they do that, it will be just for the big money they'll earn for sure with this movie... and it will be even more sad...

Patty
Immortal

Sep 18 2007, 12:42am

Post #8 of 14 (981 views)
Shortcut
I just hope Peter Jackson and co... [In reply to] Can't Post

are given the go ahead, period.

I never was one to chant "trust PJ" although by the end I sure was proud to wear my "Thanks, PJ" tee-shirt.Wink I had to get to see his movies before I could trust him, but now I feel confident that he'd do best by The Hobbit.

For Gondor!

(This post was edited by Patty on Sep 18 2007, 12:45am)

Milady
Rivendell

Sep 18 2007, 12:51am

Post #9 of 14 (992 views)
Shortcut
Did he read the Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I think there's a certain way people make movies. PJ grew up with LOTR, he read it as a child, and the movies were amazing. It stands to reason that he must have read the Hobbit, too. There's a certain thing to making a movie, a way that only people who know and love the books can do, so if PJ has read it I say let him make it.

wilsonst541
The Shire

Sep 18 2007, 5:59am

Post #10 of 14 (944 views)
Shortcut
replacing Ian Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I agree that Ian Holm is the preferred option, if his age proves an obstacle I think Ray Winstone (Sexy Best, The Departed) deserves a look. Not only is he the right age and physical type, but he is a great actor.

ANy thoughts? I'd love to hear other ideas.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 18 2007, 9:25am

Post #11 of 14 (954 views)
Shortcut
I guess so. But the problem is not that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well... I'm sure he read it. And he loves it. That's why I still have faith.
I admit I was a bit harsh. It's not all about money making, but also about having money-. I guess replacing Iam Holm with a performance capture double is more expensive than finding a real actor, but I'm not sure...
Also my other method is easier.
Let's have faith in PJ. (I deeply love his LOTR movies, that's why I'm so concerned)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 18 2007, 9:34am

Post #12 of 14 (937 views)
Shortcut
No way. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't know how you people can even stand the idea of having a different actor interacting with (hopefully) Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf, after we saw them interacting so beautifully in LOTR...
I know you want to see a Hobbit movie, but do you REALLY want it that way? I surely don't. No, thank you.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 18 2007, 9:48am

Post #13 of 14 (935 views)
Shortcut
Not a bad idea there... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
do a Princess Bride approach where they have our Ian Holm Bilbo telling the story to a group of little hobbits gathered on the floor or chairs around him (like at his party). We could even have Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin and maybe some others listening in with knowing smiles on their faces.
Remember in Rivendell when Frodo told Bilbo he used to pretend he was off with him on one of his adventures? This would be a way for Elijah Wood to play both Frodo and Bilbo as he imagines himself on the adventure. I know, I know, it's a stretch... but we do enjoy the fantasy of Middle-earth, right ;)

Now that I think about it.... that's not a bad idea... if it's done well it could work... we need always Ian Holm in the movie, but in a part he can do much more easily, I hope.
Bilbo can even be interpreted by Wood, Boyd and Monaghan alternatively, during the funny and action scenes (the ones that boys like), and than go back to Holm during the more "heart breaking" (and slow paced) ones
Add this to my possible solution (but as a third one)
;)

VBaggins

Sep 21 2007, 3:10am

Post #14 of 14 (977 views)
Shortcut
Re: actors [In reply to] Can't Post

Simon Pegg

In Reply To
Though I agree that Ian Holm is the preferred option, if his age proves an obstacle I think Ray Winstone (Sexy Best, The Departed) deserves a look. Not only is he the right age and physical type, but he is a great actor.

ANy thoughts? I'd love to hear other ideas.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.