The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Quotes on top

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 17 2007, 7:12pm

Post #1 of 10 (1889 views)
Shortcut
Quotes on top Can't Post

OK here's another one - and I actually tried to figure this one out myself before posting! Mad

When you reply to a post by quoting it, how do you type your message under the quote? I've seen others do it that way, but my quote attempt had me writing on top of the quote box.....

BG
Board Developer / Moderator

Feb 17 2007, 7:17pm

Post #2 of 10 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Re: Quotes on top [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
OK here's another one - and I actually tried to figure this one out myself before posting! Mad

When you reply to a post by quoting it, how do you type your message under the quote? I've seen others do it that way, but my quote attempt had me writing on top of the quote box.....

In the advanced editor your cursor will sit at the end of the bottom quote line, just hit return and start typing. Smile

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 17 2007, 7:18pm

Post #3 of 10 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Re: Quotes on top [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

In the advanced editor your cursor will sit at the end of the bottom quote line, just hit return and start typing. Smile

A-ha - I didn't realize you could click down there. Thanks! Crazy

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 17 2007, 7:20pm

Post #4 of 10 (1614 views)
Shortcut
You can also... [In reply to] Can't Post

...cut and paste only the part you want to quote, like this:

When you reply to a post by quoting it, how do you type your message under the quote?

...in the Avanced Editor, by pasting the part you want to quote, highlighting it, then hitting the quote button in the Advanced Editor toolbar.

This is also in the FAQ *cough*: item 2.23 Tongue

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 17 2007, 7:26pm

Post #5 of 10 (1629 views)
Shortcut
Re: You can also... [In reply to] Can't Post

That FAQ would be much more user-friendly if the topics at the top of the page actually linked to the relevant answer below.

Also - is it possible to code something into the board that makes it so that quotes include the quoted posters name? On a very long thread, quoting will be almost irrelevant since a third party will have no clue as to whom a quoter is quoting. Crazy

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 17 2007, 7:29pm

Post #6 of 10 (1633 views)
Shortcut
The FAQ is 'under construction' [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured it's going to change over the next few weeks until things settle in, and it's a tadge finicky to edit. So, I'll not add links until it's in a more final form.

Use those buttons on your computer to scroll, man! TongueSly

Will make a note of the quotes thingie and look into it when we're a little less harried. Crazy

Thanks for the Feedback.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 17 2007, 8:56pm

Post #7 of 10 (1577 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
That FAQ would be much more user-friendly if the topics at the top of the page actually linked to the relevant answer below.

Also - is it possible to code something into the board that makes it so that quotes include the quoted posters name? On a very long thread, quoting will be almost irrelevant since a third party will have no clue as to whom a quoter is quoting. Crazy

Actually, you can determine that by clicking on the link: [In reply to] next to the subject head of any post.

DJ Mix for Inaugural Celebration at:
http://www.geocities.com/magpie930/music.htm

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 17 2007, 9:11pm

Post #8 of 10 (1576 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Actually, you can determine that by clicking on the link: [In reply to] next to the subject head of any post.

Ehhh on a long thread, when you have a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote, it's always nice to be able to see at a glance the progression of the discussion.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 17 2007, 9:20pm

Post #9 of 10 (1597 views)
Shortcut

"Ehhh on a long thread, when you have a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote, it's always nice to be able to see at a glance the progression of the discussion."

good point.

DJ Mix for Inaugural Celebration at:
http://www.geocities.com/magpie930/music.htm

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

Tyler
Lorien

Aug 4 2007, 11:27pm

Post #10 of 10 (1729 views)
Shortcut
an odd problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Never doubt that a small group of peple can change the world indeed,that is the onely thing that ever has......Margaret mead

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.