The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Your views of "The Hobbit" trailer!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 5:06am

Post #26 of 209 (2279 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore FTW! And Richard Armitage's singing voice, very appealing here. [In reply to] Can't Post

We have a winner, in the Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold theme. Chills! Can't get enough. It was used brilliantly in the trailer.

I love the contrast from the humorous introduction of the first 12 dwarves, to the serious intro of Thorin...and that song. The melody, the tone, the performance by Armitage joined in by the other 12, everything about that music and the way the Dwarves sang it was spot on. In that regard, the book comes to life.

and then at the end, the Ring theme creeps in as Gollum's slinking shadow appears overhead. Yes, the trailer nailed that.

Can't stop thinking about that music. I am experiencing a feeling reminiscent of how I felt about the Minas Tirith theme from ROTK.

The thought of waiting for 12 months! I seem to recall the feeling! Deja vu all over again.

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Dec 21 2011, 5:08am

Post #27 of 209 (2101 views)
Shortcut
I LOVED IT! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not really a big fan of the shots of Rivendell...the lighting looks a little extreme and fakish. It's like Rivendell is in a constant state of CG sunsets.

But everything else was great!

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 21 2011, 5:08am

Post #28 of 209 (2083 views)
Shortcut
I feel like we've turned back the clock and Middle-earth is still there.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo - perfect! Sure of his hobbity self but twitchy.
Gandalf - oh, Gandalf!
Thorin - dangerous, smoldering anger, great voice for dark songs
The dwarves - how can they possibly think they can go up against Smaug?! Delightful!
And that song! You could feel the tension and sense of purpose in the room.
Landscapes - imagine a little hobbit seeing those mountains for the first time. It makes his line in FOTR so poignant, "I want to see mountains again, Gandalf! Mountains!"

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Dec 21 2011, 5:10am

Post #29 of 209 (2046 views)
Shortcut
More cowbell? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you need a prescription for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4royOLtvmQ

Wink

peleowyn
Rivendell

Dec 21 2011, 5:14am

Post #30 of 209 (2099 views)
Shortcut
Amazing! Beautiful dwarf music! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was incredible!! I have already watched the trailer - I don't know how many - times! That misty mountain song is so hauntingly beautiful (hooray, Howard Shore!)- I can't get it out of my head, and keep going back to listen again ... the trailer TOTALLY SURPASSED my expectations (or - fulfilled my dreams that it would!) - it totally captures your imagination ... LOVED seeing Galadriel again, too - and Gandalf - in just as captivating form as in LOTR ... And LOVED the speaking voice of Thorin... it really draws one in ... what a deep first sight into the movie! Wow!

"Look! There is light, and beauty up there, that no Shadow can touch!"

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Dec 21 2011, 5:15am

Post #31 of 209 (2080 views)
Shortcut
Guessing that some or all of those may be temporary composites... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and may not represent the final film. Some may not make it to the final film at all. We'll have to wait and see, a hard as that may be....waiting, that is. ;)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 5:19am

Post #32 of 209 (1977 views)
Shortcut
Oh my YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

When Shore's theme came sweeping in with the full orchestra, I just started jumping up and down. The man is musical god. Heart

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Osskil
Bree

Dec 21 2011, 5:21am

Post #33 of 209 (2066 views)
Shortcut
Assorted thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, this pleasantly surprised me.

The non-Hobbit material doesn't feel terribly out-of-place, and the Gandalf-Galadriel material is really rather delicately beautiful (based on, admittedly, three shots). The shot of Gandalf striding along the battlement with sword drawn was spine-tingling, and I notice the shot of the wizard is paired with one of Galadriel; seems like their relationship will be a significant, even character-heavy one.

The Misty Mountains song was evocative, especially as I figured out yesterday that it can be sung to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. (I dare you to try it.)

The whole enterprise struck a nice balance between nostalgia for LotR and a certain lyricism I'm not sure the first films quite wrought for me.

I'm hoping we don't get too many Bombur gags.

Lastly, that music was wonderful, though I doubt it's Shore's. Anyone know?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 5:22am

Post #34 of 209 (1947 views)
Shortcut
As posted previously in my thread below: [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, good Eru...think I just had a total break-down!!! ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

Everything from seeing Ian Holm and Elijah Wood...Ian McKellan rocking it as Gandalf like it was 1999...the Dwarves singing, Cate Blanchett...Gandalf in Dol Guldur(?), Narsil, the Rivendell Elves in armor, the Wood Elves caverns(?) behind Dwalin's introductory shot...a glimpse of Gollum.
And yes, the music may well have been composed by Howard Shore (like with the RotK trailer), as it seemed VERY fitted to the trailer, and HS has said he's already composing...if so, we've just heard our first taste of the Hobbit score...and it was terrific!

We're going back. Just one year to go.

Staggering. Have watched in 10 times in a row...off for another 10.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 21 2011, 5:27am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 5:23am

Post #35 of 209 (1983 views)
Shortcut
The theme music sounded quite like the dwarves singing to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like it's the same tune, just with the full orchestra belting it out. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it's Shore.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 5:24am

Post #36 of 209 (2125 views)
Shortcut
Oh I forgot to mention, about Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm relieved to see his forehead isn't as big and Klingon-ish as I had feared.

I didn't think of Klingons at all during my viewings, I'm quite happy to say.

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 21 2011, 5:37am

Post #37 of 209 (1907 views)
Shortcut
The patchwork dressing gown is definitely in there. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lausus
Bree

Dec 21 2011, 5:39am

Post #38 of 209 (1887 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't be more excited! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see, what haven't people commented on yet?

-Yet another staff for Gandalf. Makes sense, this is 60 years earlier.

-Narsil and Sting! Awesome. Clearly his receipt of Sting is, in fact, the same shot as Frodo's

-The Dwarves are almost certainly singing while skillfully tossing plates to each other around 2:04

-Do you think all the scenes of Gandalf alone are Necromancer related? One scene sure looks like him on Weathertop. He seems to hear the ring of a blade. Going down the square spiral "stairs" I suspect will be in the dungeon where he meets with Thrain.

-2:00 "Dawn take you all and be stone to you!" I wonder if it will still make sense in FotR when Bilbo tells the Hobbit children that "dawn's first light CREPT over the tree-tops and turned them all to stone." I also wonder if people will think it too similar a gesture to "You shall not pass!" or appropriately identical.

-The ring seems to be lying on some plant life. I guess that's in Mirkwood, what with the spider webs and all. Did Bilbo drop the ring after getting untangled from his own captor's web?

Rosebud
The Shire

Dec 21 2011, 5:39am

Post #39 of 209 (2017 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be... [In reply to] Can't Post

...young Gimli. I'm sure we'll see a lot of these small nods to LotR.

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Dec 21 2011, 5:42am

Post #40 of 209 (1946 views)
Shortcut
This may be a first..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Has there ever been a teaser trailer that actually played one of the musical themes that will be in Howard Shore's soundtrack? I don't know about the rest of you, but the dwarves singing of 'Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold' was amazing. I've always enjoyed Tolkien's lyrics to the song but I never ever imagined it being sung as as Gregorian chant. Pure Tolkien (and Jackson) Magic!!!!

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 21 2011, 5:48am

Post #41 of 209 (2040 views)
Shortcut
I can't get over Thorin singing... [In reply to] Can't Post

then the rest of the dwarves come in singing back-up. I expected there to be boisterous party songs ( which will undoubtedly be included too) but the serious, somber tone really struck a chord with me....I cannot wait to get the official soundtrack ! What an excellent Christmas present ! Thanks Peter !

LordElrond
Rivendell

Dec 21 2011, 5:49am

Post #42 of 209 (1903 views)
Shortcut
OMG [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything about it was amazing. Thorin looks perfect when it shows him starting off that song, his eyes! the dwarves all look perfect and so does Bilbo. I actually laughed when Bilbo said he's a Baggins from Bag End and put up his finger as if to say "and that's final"

Tornado
The Shire

Dec 21 2011, 5:51am

Post #43 of 209 (1861 views)
Shortcut
gandalf vs thrain? [In reply to] Can't Post

could that be Gandalf fighting Thrain II at Dol Guldur. maybe thats how Gandalf gets the map

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 5:59am

Post #44 of 209 (1995 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps Gandalf is fighting Thrain? [In reply to] Can't Post

As was suggested by boom in Superherohype.

I really doubt it's Necromancer. Guys, seriously. If Necromancer is to have a humanoid body, it's going to be way more awesome than that, and he and Gandalf will have a much more sophisticated and grander battle - though I doubt they ever go mano-a-mano.

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 6:03am

Post #45 of 209 (1909 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf x Galadriel is going to be everybody's new Only True Pairing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish there was less Maxfield Parrish in the Rivendell shots thought. Waaaaay to colourful. Let's hope they tone it down for the final movie.

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Dec 21 2011, 6:08am

Post #46 of 209 (1757 views)
Shortcut
I kind of figured that might be true. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially because EVERY shot of Rivendell looked like that.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Dec 21 2011, 6:08am)

Mithrandír
Lorien

Dec 21 2011, 6:13am

Post #47 of 209 (1772 views)
Shortcut
speechless!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf and Bilbo are back!! And the light and the staff, and the song gave me chills:)

Social Science's biggest problem, is social science.

"The ring has awoken. It's heard its masters call"

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Dec 21 2011, 6:14am

Post #48 of 209 (1859 views)
Shortcut
Fighting with.. potential spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

My theory is... it's THRAIN.

So I took some screen caps (blog post soon) and in looking at that section, thinking 'Necromancer!' but then I saw what I believe is a mad, pale, dwarf. Hmm. Who was playing Thrain, again? Does it look like him?

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Dec 21 2011, 6:17am

Post #49 of 209 (1792 views)
Shortcut
the good news is [In reply to] Can't Post

It's now less than a year! :P

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Dec 21 2011, 6:18am

Post #50 of 209 (1832 views)
Shortcut
The song.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I ever doubted Howard Shore...but I'm glad that he managed to top the version from the Rankin/Bass version. That's one of the things I think that movie really got right, and it's been how the song has played in my mind for over ten years.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.