Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Your views of "The Hobbit" trailer!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Voorhas
Lorien

Dec 22 2011, 6:30pm

Post #201 of 209 (524 views)
Shortcut
Totally my reaction... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I had flashbacks to 2001, and then realized how quickly the last ten years have whizzed by.

Marillė by the Sea
Rivendell

Dec 22 2011, 6:39pm

Post #202 of 209 (505 views)
Shortcut
Let me clarify [In reply to] Can't Post

I never liked how Rivendell looked in FOTR.. the lighting made it all look fake.. I didn't like that golden hue/perpetual sunset, even though the reasoning behind it is reasonable and sound. The soft focus and the buildings that looked like miniatures didn't help either. I'm happy that Rivendell in TH doesn't have that golden hue, but it still looked really fake. The backdrop looked like a backdrop. It just looks like a set piece to me.

I feel bad for saying this because I've seen the appendices and all the hard work Weta Workshop put into making the Rivendell miniatures, but the final composite doesn't make it look like I'm in Rivendell... just a macroshot of miniatures.

Sorry if I haven't given concrete evidence of why I don't like it... It just looks like a set piece to me (what I mean by "fake"). Crazy

Marillė by the Sea
Rivendell

Dec 22 2011, 6:53pm

Post #203 of 209 (509 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of the CGI shots looked like just that. But it's a trailer, so I'm not making such a big fuss over it.

What's funny is that my boyfriend, who is a Dark Knight Rises fan, found that trailer to be slightly disappointing and thought TH trailer was much better; whereas I, a Tolkien fan, found the DKR trailer to be slightly better than this. I guess when we're such big fans of something, we nit-pick to hell. Evil But of course, this trailer is amazing and I've seen it at least 50+ times.

Marillė by the Sea
Rivendell

Dec 22 2011, 6:59pm

Post #204 of 209 (507 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I know :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not saying the movie is going to bomb because of the mediocre and obvious CGI shots, and I acknowledge that trailers are nothing like the final movies. I'm just complaining and nit-picking because I have exceedingly high expectations. Tongue

*Runs away before someone says, "Well if you don't like the movies, you can make it yourself!"* Cool

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2011, 7:37pm

Post #205 of 209 (518 views)
Shortcut
I like the change, [In reply to] Can't Post

That was the one thing I always hoped, that the movie would have an overall different look/atmosphere while still feeling close to the LotR movies. This feels like the bold and fun adventure you dream about as a kid, as it should be, however dark or brooding it comes across. If you look between the grit, you can see the heart right there.

"Oh, the cleverness of me."

Ref
Rivendell

Dec 22 2011, 8:23pm

Post #206 of 209 (504 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
I think the constraints of the lyrics, the mood demanded, and fact that it must be sung by 13 men limits the number of ways it can be rendered.

The fact that it must be sung by 13 men certainly does not limit the number of ways it can be rendered. Haven't you ever heard Chanticleer perform? You could easily have 8- or 9-part harmony if you wanted, or all 13 each on their own parts with counterpoint. You couldn't use those actors, though, probably, which they wanted to do. Monophonic melodies are safer.

Plus that sort of polyphony wouldn't really suit the Dwarven chants we've heard before. They're doing plainsong, what people generally call “Gregorian chant”. What gets me is the super deep bass register. Armitage has a very deep voice. You can hear the other singers struggle with the very lowest pitches; I assume anyone who isn't a second bass just drops out for the bottom.

The piece is in G minor, with Armitage starting out two D's below middle C, which is way below gravel for me. The theme runs: D-D-F-G-G, Bb-C-Bb-A-F-G. They're singing it in unison way down in the second bass register. I have to sing it up an octave myself.

I adore you for this. Guess what I'll be trying to conjure up on my piano at the weekend!

Laugh

I totally love the music for the trailer/dwarf song - epically beautiful as always.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented miss_jaffacake

marillaraina
Rohan

Dec 22 2011, 9:53pm

Post #207 of 209 (510 views)
Shortcut
So excited!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been much hindered by lack of a personal computer(I have been reduced to sharing another family member's, the torture! as I'm quite the internet addict really:) but have FINALLY gotten to see the trailer. I loved it, loved the song too. I have to admit singing in "non musicals" always kind of worries me, as an idea, but it sounded really good. It was so great to see the dwarves in action and I just loved the Hobbit himself, Bilbo! I've only gotten to see it once as I ran right back here as soon as I watched it but I can't wait to study it more. :)

stormcrow20
Gondor

Dec 23 2011, 6:37am

Post #208 of 209 (470 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it!

Gandalf's staff lights!

The song!

The music!

Bilbos!

Trolls!

The "Good morning!" scene (hopefully)!

I love the wideshot and the moment with Gandalf and Galadriel...

And Gandalf striding forward with sword drawn, staff ready and scarf flowing behind him....all to that music. That was simply stunning.

WOW! Laugh

Good Morning!

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 3 2012, 9:50pm

Post #209 of 209 (425 views)
Shortcut
Now, having seen it on the big screen with Tin-Tin [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked it even better. on the big screen.

I will have to say that I have ridiculous expectations for these films, but they obviously aimed high with the trailer.

-Rostron

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.