Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Your views of "The Hobbit" trailer!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 21 2011, 3:45am

Post #1 of 209 (6823 views)
Shortcut
Your views of "The Hobbit" trailer! Can't Post

A thread for everyone to share their views, opinions, observations and screencaps of the The Hobbit trailer:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thehobbit/

Did it meet your expectations? What were/weren't you expecting from the trailer?
What did you like/not like?
Are you glad you watched the trailer now, or would have prefered to see it in the cinema?
Anybody have any interesting observations?
What is the quickest we can expect some screencaps for us to droll over?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 21 2011, 3:52am)

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 21 2011, 3:48am

Post #2 of 209 (3699 views)
Shortcut
Dark.....Serious [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a child's tale.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 21 2011, 3:56am

Post #3 of 209 (3575 views)
Shortcut
One word for me: stunning. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, I give it 5 mins before somene suggests a Galadriel-Gandalf romance sub-plot.....

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 21 2011, 3:57am

Post #4 of 209 (3296 views)
Shortcut
Freakin' awesome. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep! The singing gave me chills. I noticed that Gandalf got whacked by an orc or goblin of some sort.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

rings7
Rohan

Dec 21 2011, 3:57am

Post #5 of 209 (3401 views)
Shortcut
I specifically liked [In reply to] Can't Post

how they used the dwarfs singing as the main background music for the trailer, which is something i didn't expect at all. What I did expect to see was a brief introduction to the whole gang, and a tiny glimpse of Gollum.

Overall I loved it!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 4:00am

Post #6 of 209 (3286 views)
Shortcut
As I posted in another thread [In reply to] Can't Post

AMAZING!!!!! I also said normally I am not a fan of singing in my fantasy but it was very well done and i actually like it. WHAT THE HECK was that at 1:57? The necromancer possibly? But I agree definitely dark and not as light hearted as the book which is not such a bad thing. My wife even said she thinks the movie looks like its going to be awsome and she is not a fan of the fantasy genre. I really hope they do the WHOLE good morning sequence like in the book though.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 21 2011, 4:07am

Post #7 of 209 (3372 views)
Shortcut
I'm honestly not so sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm tired and confused... it was very bright and cartoonish and everything looked overly shot for 3D :/ may feel different in the morning, so don't hold me to that opinion just yet. Loved the singing, though!

eralkfang
Lorien

Dec 21 2011, 4:10am

Post #8 of 209 (3310 views)
Shortcut
WOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was absolutely stunning! The singing chilled me to my soul—it's an absolutely beautiful arrangement of "Over the Misty Mountains Cold", and done so perfectly. Freeman is flawless, as usual… I'm really just blown away.

I'm sure TORn will put up a fantastic screencap run-through soon, but I'd like to point out that at 0:39, you can see a sketch of Gimli's mother that Glóin keeps on him. Dwarven women don't have beards! The greatest mystery of all is solved.

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Dec 21 2011, 4:13am

Post #9 of 209 (3123 views)
Shortcut
Loved it!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks gorgeous!!

The only thing I wish was that some mention had been made of the dwarves' quest. Nothing was said about them looking to reclaim their gold from a dragon. I think the trailer relies a little too much on being seen by fans already familiar with the story. (not everybody is.)

And I'm still not sure about Bofur's Mongol hat. it's so region and era-specific it still annoys me. All these fantasy costumes and out of nowhere, a Mongol hat. Not sure why the costumer made that choice...

Oh, and it needs more cowbell. :-)

I loved how the dwarves' song segued into that lush orchestration. I hope that's in the movie!

Amarië
The Shire

Dec 21 2011, 4:13am

Post #10 of 209 (3073 views)
Shortcut
Sleep? What sleep? [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone tell me, how am I supposed to go back to sleep and go tomorrow in the morning to college? I can't even do anything else than shaking and watch the trailer all over again for multiple times. It's SO amazing, I am very surprised we've got to listen some of the soundtrack of the movie, and it's so beautiful and haunting (Howard Shore, you genious). Like some of you had said here, it's seems darker than the book is (definitely not a children's tale anymore).

I have loved so much to see Ian Holm again, he's an amazing Bilbo in LOTR and I went beyond happy when PJ said he're gonna to have a part in TH. Martin Freeman's Bilbo is beyond words, seriously: I've already loved the casting, because I love Martin Freeman as actor, but after watching the trailer... My God, he was born to play Bilbo Baggins! I've noticed something... At the beginning of the trailer, when Frodo appears... I think it's not Ian Holm the one who plays Old Bilbo, it's Martin Freeman, don't you think?

Now, I'm gonna try some sleep, I don't think I can say anything with sense anymore: too many feelings.

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Dec 21 2011, 4:23am

Post #11 of 209 (3049 views)
Shortcut
transcript (spoilers!) [In reply to] Can't Post

edit: HOW COOL WAS THE TRAILER! :)

Here's a transcript...
Old Bilbo: My Dear Frodo,
You asked me once if I had told you everything there was to know about my adventures.
While(Well?) I can honestly say that I have told you the truth, I may not have told you
all of it.

Gandalf
Bilbo Baggins I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure.

Bilbo : I can't just go running off into the blue I am a Baggins (wait!) of Bag End.

Gandalf: Bilbo! allow me to introduce Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Dwalin Balin, Bifur Bofur, Bombur Dori Nori Ori and the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield.

Thorin (singing): Far over the misty mountains cold
to dungeons deep, and caverns old

Dwarves (singing): The pines were roaring on the heights,
The winds were moaning in the night,
The fire was red, it flaming spread,
The trees like torches blazed with light.

Thorin: I cannot guarentee his safety
Gandalf: Understood
Thorin: nor will I be responsible for his fate

various arghs and fight scenes

Gandalf: You'll have a tale or two to tell when you come back
Bilbo: Can you promise that I will come back?
Gandalf: No. And if you do, you will not be the same

Bilbo: My name is Bilbo Baggins
Gollum: Bagginses. What is a Bagginses, Precious?

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

(This post was edited by titanium_hobbit on Dec 21 2011, 4:24am)

Macfeast
Rohan

Post #12 of 209 (3150 views)
Shortcut
That's odd... [In reply to] Can't Post

...since the description we got with the first picture of Óin and Glóin said that she had a beard. Did they change their mind?

Nice catch though. I look forward to disecting each and every scene from the trailer to try to put it into context.

I got teary-eyed from the dwarves' singing. I was so hoping for that to be a part of the trailer.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Dec 21 2011, 4:27am)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Post #13 of 209 (2920 views)
Shortcut
Embedded [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just waiting for someone to mention the embedded axe,

Evil

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 4:24am

Post #14 of 209 (3190 views)
Shortcut
LMAO [In reply to] Can't Post

i hope not!! a wizard is never late Galadriel...he comes precisely when he means to...

What is this new devilry?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 4:26am

Post #15 of 209 (2946 views)
Shortcut
I can't wait a YEAR!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Oh my god!!! I'm getting so emotional watching this over and over again! It's all so familiar and yet so different as well! It feels substantially different from LotR, but you can tell all the emotion and heart is still right there.

...and Howard Shore, you evil man! You can not dangle that wonderful music in front of me and expect me to wait a whole year to listen to your score album!!! Mad Same goes for you Pete and your glorious looking film!!!

The cast looks so unbelievable. All the dwarves look amazing, and Martin Freeman is PERFECT as Bilbo!!! Oh my god, I must see this NOW!!!!

Cool

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Salmar
Bree

Dec 21 2011, 4:30am

Post #16 of 209 (2955 views)
Shortcut
YouTube HD version [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHaAkhTfQxo

Looking great! Back to more viewings...

Try-again-later
The Shire

Dec 21 2011, 4:30am

Post #17 of 209 (2907 views)
Shortcut
Can't stop watching it [In reply to] Can't Post

That was an amazing trailer. I absolutely loved the music. I'm a bit put off by that part with Galadriel but I'm probably judging it too early.

So who was Gandalf fighting with? I would think the Necromancer but I didn't think we'd be done with the Dol Guldur scenes before There and Back Again.

eralkfang
Lorien

Dec 21 2011, 4:32am

Post #18 of 209 (2981 views)
Shortcut
Hmm… [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, the angle is canted, so she might have mutton chops… Or maybe it's a sketch of baby Gimli!

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 21 2011, 4:32am

Post #19 of 209 (3133 views)
Shortcut
I forgive Peter Jackson everything! [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing in Bifur's head. Tauriel. Legolas. Galadriel/Gandalf (lol!)

Everything.

THEY'RE SINGING!!!

I got chills when Thorin started with "Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold"!

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 4:34am

Post #20 of 209 (2875 views)
Shortcut
Giggles and Goosebumps! [In reply to] Can't Post

Giggles of delight just to see Middle Earth again, then goosebumps once the Dwarves start to sing. Wow! It looks amazing! I'm definitely looking forward to the film now. I was ambivalent before because TH isn't my favorite of Tolkien's works. I don't dislike it at all, just definitely seems more of a kid's book. But in this clip, it looks like there will be some of the light-hearted fun of TH combined with the the richer, more nuanced world of LOTR. I'm very excited!

(This post was edited by zarabia on Dec 21 2011, 4:38am)

Bladerunner
Gondor

Dec 21 2011, 4:38am

Post #21 of 209 (2997 views)
Shortcut
The scene with Galadriel and Gandalf gave me goosebumps.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That one moment captures the millenia-old friendship between them. I could almost envision Gandalf as a young Olorin, friend of the elves, at that moment.

Btw - the close-up of Galadriel at 1:54 is my new desktop background :0).

The dwarf song was spot-on!

Gimli1252
Bree

Dec 21 2011, 4:45am

Post #22 of 209 (2876 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe it... [In reply to] Can't Post

We actually see the official trailer, and as if this were not enough we actually hear the official score from Howard Shore ....
Here in Greece it's 6:40 am...i have to go to university in two hours...Crazy the thing is that i'm braindaed for the rest of the day ...Wink

''There is one dwarf yet in Moria, who still draws breath''

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 21 2011, 4:54am

Post #23 of 209 (2763 views)
Shortcut
I love that too. It's like a sibling kinship they have. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing they're conversing about something serious and Galadriel is trying to cheer Gandalf up.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

sushiking
The Shire

Dec 21 2011, 4:59am

Post #24 of 209 (2702 views)
Shortcut
AWESOME! [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally freaked out.

It dosnt look like all the special effects and everything is put into it yet, but it still looks amazing!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2011, 5:05am

Post #25 of 209 (2830 views)
Shortcut
It's a trailer from another, less cynical time, when we were allowed to be excited of things [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't even want to start analyzing it and tearing it apart frame-by-frame quite yet. This moment... this day needs to be felt...

It's not even the most skillfully put-together trailer I've ever seen, but it has such innocence and eagerness to it. Those are just the things most of the films and tv series these days miss.

Ok, some points.

Seriously, Galadriel, stop hitting on Gandalf. You're married, remember? Remember? Laugh (And get that glitter off your gown, please. Unsure)

Richard as Thorin is pure love. Love, I'm telling you.

Okay girls, the lineup for Bilbo is on the right. No kicking, biting, scratching or spitting. Nor any elbows!

Dol Guldur is so Alan Lee.

Who on earth is Gandalf fighting with in Dol Guldur. A zombie?

Suddenly, colours. All around your Rivendell.

The introduction shot of Dwalin is defintely in the Golin Town.

And last but not least:

AT YOUR FACE, SONG HATERS! Evil

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.