Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who is your favorite new series Dr Who companion, and who would you like to see next?
Poll: Who is your favorite new series Dr Who companion, and who would you like to see next?
Rose
Captain Jack
Mickey
Martha
Donna
Amy
Rory
River Song
Craig
other (please explain)
View Results (29 votes)

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Dec 17 2011, 11:46pm

Post #1 of 12 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Who is your favorite new series Dr Who companion, and who would you like to see next? Can't Post

I started watching Doctor Who last year, and got hooked on it and bought the first 5 seasons and enjoyed them with my little nieces and nephews. As Doctor 11 is "going into hiding" and doesn't appear to be taking along Amy and Rory, I was wondering who is your favorite companion? And, what kind of companion would you like to see in the future?

For me, I really enjoyed the Donna year and was sad to see it end, especially the way it did. It would have been fun to see her stay part time lord and go on many more manic adventures with him. Her grandfather was a sweet old man and could have been an interesting companion (but he might not have lasted long!)
I also enjoyed his budding friendship with Astrid, but she died! Lady Christina De Souza was fun and I'd like to see her return, but I guess it wouldn't work now that the doctor is regenerated...and married.
I thought the idea of Jackson Lake, an insomniac who thought he was the doctor, was fun and he made a good doctor for that short time.
I liked the muslim girl quite well, but then she died also!

For the record, my favorite Doctor was 10, I was kinda sweet on him, but I haven't seen the first 8 doctors so I might have had another favorite in them if I ever got around to renting or buying their seasons.

(This post was edited by Arianna Greenleaf on Dec 17 2011, 11:46pm)

Spencissimus
Lorien

Dec 18 2011, 12:57am

Post #2 of 12 (925 views)
Shortcut
definately Amy [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a huge Doctor Who fan, but I do enjoy it. I never really liked Rose all that much, same with Martha and Donna. I wasn't sure about Amy before the first Matt Smith series started, but she won me over immediately. As far as a future companion is concerned, I'd like to see Claire Foy, who I loved in Little Dorrit. As a side note, I thought that David Tennant's Doctor was overrated. He was great for the first season or two, but then he just got a bit boring. I also think it's a shame Christopher Eccleston didn't get much time as the Doctor.

(This post was edited by Spencissimus on Dec 18 2011, 12:59am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2011, 3:36am

Post #3 of 12 (955 views)
Shortcut
I voted River Song, but "All of the above" would be more accurate:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love them all to a certain extent for varying reasons. But I love that River Song is so mysterious and is the only person who can keep the Dr. a bit off balance.Smile And as a middle-aged woman, I appreciate having a strong, sexy woman playing such an important part. Before her, older women were usually annoying mothers (Jackie, and Martha's mom). There were other positive older women, but they were more limited in scope. I wish the lady Captain of Bowie Base I had been kept alive and had been in more. She was Awesome! The Galadriel of the Dr. Who world! Oh, and of course Sarah Jane. I'm so glad they brought her back and gave her her own show. Glad she found new appreciation with a new generation.
I was going to do a rundown of my feelings for all the other companions, but that started to get out of hand. Tongue However, I don't like Lady whats-her-name at all! She's cool, yes, but so arrogant. She jokes about the aristocracy, but she still expects people to fall in line when she tells them what to do just because she's a "Lady." And she built her cat burglar skills - the skills that make her cool - stealing from museums to support her spoiled life-style. If she had built these skills stealing objects from museums in order to give them back to the rightful owners, that would have made her much more interesting and sympathetic. As it was, she was just a self-serving snob.

As for the "classic" Dr. Who, my favorite is Tom Baker, with Peter Davi(d?)son a close second. But as much as I love the old Dr. Who, they seem soooo sloooow in comparison to the new ones. Sometimes that works to build suspense and complexity, but often it's just a lot of padding and running up and down corridors.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Dec 18 2011, 3:44am)

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Dec 20 2011, 1:48am

Post #4 of 12 (868 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock and Watson [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to see a male companion and for him to be a buddy like Sherlock and Watson (the BBC version with our Bilbo and Smaug is my favorite). It bugs me a bit how the newer Doctors act like male companions are beneath them. The doctor was constantly ribbing Mickey (who deserved a lot of it, I understand, and he did grow a backbone), and didn't seem to value all that Rory offered. I haven't seen the old doctors, but I've heard that he had a lot of respect and admiration for the brigadier. I'd like to see more of that!
I guess that's why I enjoyed The Next Doctor so much, the way he joked around with Jackson Lake, but of course he thought Jackson was a later version of him.
He did have a bit of comradery with Craig, and perhaps Captain Jack although he didn't seem to know what to make of Jack. But none of those are exactly like I'd hope to see, that Bob Hope/Bing Crosby kind of buddy adventures.

For a female, I've heard that many were hoping for Catherine Zeta Jones to be the next doctor. If not that, then why not his companion? I think she'd be fun and fiery to have around (but again, the Doctor is married, so how would that work with other companions? Would there be any? And with River Songs time different then his, just how much time will they get to spend together, anyway?)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2011, 5:44am

Post #5 of 12 (932 views)
Shortcut
That would be fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Since what's his name (Why can't I think of it???) produced both Sherlock and the last two seasons of Dr. Who, maybe he was thinking the same thingSmile

I think Mickey and Rory both grow in their own self-confidence and in the Dr.'s estimation. But I think there is kind of a mind set that there should only be one "alpha male" so other males are lacking in confidence, or confident but kind of unpredictable like Captain Jack. I agree that it would be fun to see a buddy for the doctor. I think Donna's grandfather (again the forgetting names thing) comes the closest to that kind of relationship. Actually, Donna was a buddy in her way. There was no hint of romantic entanglement so they could just be best friends. And once they establish that Amy loves Rory, it frees her up to be a best friend rather than a love interest. I loved Rose and liked their relationship, but I knew it would set a weird precedent. If the Dr. doesn't fall in love with subsequent companions, does that mean they aren't as special. If he does fall in love again, does that mean Rose was just another companion? It's better when they are just friends. The thing between the Dr and River is a bit different because she is, in a way, a Time Lord. And you get the feeling that the marriage is something that needed to be done, it was fate, not that she was so much more special to him than anyone else though he does love her.

I didn't see that many episodes with the Brigadier, he was mostly with # 3 and a bit with 4, Tom Baker. They were more like co-workers rather than friends, but still had a nice relationship.

I haven't heard anything about casting for upcoming seasons. CZJ would be good, but I kind of like having good actors who aren't that famous yet. I had seen Chris Eccleston and David Tennant before seeing them in the Dr., but I didn't have a definite image of them in my mind which allowed me to see them just as the Dr.

But so far, I think they have done an excellent job casting, so I have faith that whoever they get will be great! I would like to see them bring Romana, a Time Lady who was with Dr. # 4, back somehow. There have been a couple of times that previews had gotten my hopes up that that was going to happen. Maybe someday!

(This post was edited by zarabia on Dec 20 2011, 5:45am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 20 2011, 3:40pm

Post #6 of 12 (874 views)
Shortcut
Donna [In reply to] Can't Post

I went for Donna simply because I have enjoyed series 4 the most.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2011, 4:42pm

Post #7 of 12 (891 views)
Shortcut
If I could have voted for my kids as well, [In reply to] Can't Post

there would be one-and-a-half votes each for Rose and Donna (we have trouble deciding between them!). My son was quite little when Rose was kicked to the "other universe", and he was simply furious about it! That said, the proper companions and a couple of the one-offs have all been played excellently, even when their story lines are - how shall I put this? - less than compelling. Yes, I'm not a River Song fan, though I think Alex Kingston plays her brilliantly.

Edited to add: And Rory (Arthur Darville) is amazing, both the acting and the character - a quite welcome addition!

(This post was edited by Arandiel on Dec 22 2011, 4:44pm)

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 1 2012, 12:35pm

Post #8 of 12 (831 views)
Shortcut
Amy & Rory [In reply to] Can't Post

I started watching Doctor Who a few months ago and I've only watched the 10th & 11th doctors, and a few of 9.

So far 10 is my favourite doctor (I think he strikes a perfect balance between playful/eccentric friend and powerful/dangerous timelord), but Amy and Rory are my favourite companions.

All the other companions rely on the Doctor too much, for their self esteem or because they're in love with him. Although Amy first thinks she must be in love with the Doctor, she gets over it and is just a strong female friend for him. She also has her life with Rory which is sometimes independent of the Doctor's travels. I love how Rory is so dedicated to Amy. <3

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Jan 6 2012, 2:48am

Post #9 of 12 (813 views)
Shortcut
Wow, not a lot of love for poor Martha! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first started watching Dr Who, it was in reruns and the most episodes I saw were with the 9th doctor, then with Martha. (somehow I missed all of 10 and Rose in reruns). I thought Martha was very cool, because she was a doctor and very intelligent and a great partner to the doctor. Then I bought all of the series and watched each one in order, and became totally engrossed in the love story between the doctor and Rose and felt his heartache when she was ripped away to another world.
Then he travelled with Martha, who was still cool and smart and a partner to him, but she whined about being in love with him and him not with her all. the. time. And I know it was hard for her to feel like 2nd best but that was painful to watch and it kind of ruined my favorite Martha episodes a bit after seeing them in order! Poor Martha didn't stand a chance in the likeability polls, because one always thought of Rose and how he loved Rose not her.
I was so relieved to watch the season with 10 and Donna! No romance, just two buddies travelling time and space together. The same with Amy and Rory, who were in love with each other not him, and watching them travel around together with River Song was like watching the doctor and his family.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 6 2012, 5:19pm

Post #10 of 12 (849 views)
Shortcut
well I love most of them, but since no one else has spoken up for Captain Jack [In reply to] Can't Post

I will say that he is a fabulous addition to the Whoverse! A great character played by a wonderful actor. The interchanges between Jack and the Doctor in "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" are too much fun.

I thought it was a pity Madame de Pompadour didn't get to be a companion.

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 6 2012, 5:20pm)

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Jan 16 2012, 10:31pm

Post #11 of 12 (844 views)
Shortcut
I forgot about Madame De Pompador! [In reply to] Can't Post

It kills me how Doctor Who introduces these amazing, fun characters that would make awesome companions...then kills them off. I guess the point is that not many of us would live long in his world! It takes almost superhero preserverence tobecome one of his companions!
Dead wouldv'e made good companions: Astrid, Muslim girl, Madame De Pompador, Captain Adelaide Brooke, Lynda from Satellite five, the lizard doctor, and a lot more I can't think of right now because I have to run and get groceriesEvil
PS I agree, Captain Jack was very coolLaugh

(This post was edited by Bellawen Bolger on Jan 16 2012, 10:34pm)

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Jan 16 2012, 11:55pm

Post #12 of 12 (995 views)
Shortcut
testing.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope this image shows up. I've tried about 20 times!....Yay, photobucket!

(This post was edited by Bellawen Bolger on Jan 17 2012, 12:00am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.