Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What's the first big news story you remember?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What's the first big news story you remember?
Pearl Harbor
Kennedy assassination
Watergate
Fall of Saigon
Fall of the Berlin Wall
Challenger explosion
Oklahoma City bombing
9-11
Indonesian tsunami
Other (please explain)
View Results (68 votes)

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2011, 11:48am

Post #101 of 134 (2155 views)
Shortcut
Sputnik; Kennedy v. Nixon 1960 campaign; Berlin wall; Cuban missile crisis [In reply to] Can't Post

age 5 - 9 Supposedly I was precocious, and definitely my parents were active citizens

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2011, 3:03pm

Post #102 of 134 (2091 views)
Shortcut
I was 8 going on 9, [In reply to] Can't Post

and for me it's the first headline/catastrophe I remember hearing about (in real time anyhow). I think you're right about those years being when you starting picking up on certain things. I also find it's when your memory starts to pick up, for me atleast.

Marillė by the Sea
Rivendell

Dec 14 2011, 10:35pm

Post #103 of 134 (2087 views)
Shortcut
Princess Diana & 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked 9/11, but I remember Princess Diana, even though I was super young then. My dad adored her, so he was terribly sad. I didn't really understand the importance of it since I thought people die in car accidents everyday, so what made her so important? I guess it never hit me that she's actually a PRINCESS. Plus the fact that she wasn't wearing a seatbelt made me less sympathetic? What a heartless child I was, lol! Crazy

But I definitely remember 9/11 and where I was. I was in the car with my mom driving me to school and she was listening to the Chinese radio, and she told me how two planes flew into a tower. I didn't really understand the importance (running trend for me, apparently -_-) because I didn't realize it was a terrorist attack and thought it was another plane accident. I guess I was too innocent to even conceive the notion that somebody would kill 2000 people deliberately. I went to school and everybody was talking about it. We spent most of our time in class watching the news. I went home and watched the news some more that evening, and it was the first time I comprehended the situation. I was so angry I wanted to hurt the people that did this.

Marillė by the Sea
Rivendell

Dec 14 2011, 10:37pm

Post #104 of 134 (2117 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought that Clinton would reign forever. I didn't know that only applied to kings. So I was very confused when Bush and Gore were running, and a bit bummed since I liked Clinton, he was the only president I've ever known, and the 90s was awesome!

Annael
Immortal

Dec 15 2011, 3:41pm

Post #105 of 134 (1999 views)
Shortcut
born and raised in the briar patch! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Dec 15 2011, 3:49pm

Post #106 of 134 (2105 views)
Shortcut
The Cuban missile crisis . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

we were so sure the Soviets were going to bomb us any day as it was, and that just seemed like the beginning of the end. My uncle was serving at the time and would have been sent in had we invaded.

I was amazed when I saw the movie "Thirteen Days" how much I remembered. I recognized almost every character before they were named. We must have been glued to the TV all through that.

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 15 2011, 7:11pm

Post #107 of 134 (2750 views)
Shortcut
John Lennon's assassination... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it made quite an impact on me because I grew up with Beatles music and he was my favorite Beatle.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Dec 15 2011, 7:26pm

Post #108 of 134 (2675 views)
Shortcut
You, too? Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Carter's election is the first news story I remember, too, vividly - I was sitting in our kitchen watching the election returns on our little TV.

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Dec 20 2011, 7:20pm

Post #109 of 134 (2026 views)
Shortcut
Fall of the Berlin Wall [In reply to] Can't Post

The fall of the Berlin Wall was the first big thing I really remember remembering! I was interested in Germany and the German language from a young age, so I was curious about it. I remember watching the news with my family, and them trying to explain to me why it was so significant.

I also remember the 1988 presidential election. I mostly remember it because my parents were conservative, and my friend's family was liberal, so we tried to talk politics. Given that we were first graders, the discussion was probably hysterical from an adult perspective. The one thing I remember saying was something I'd heard one of my siblings say, about how Dukakis was a "balloon face." I'm sure I thought this was a crushing comeback. This friend and I also used to argue about baseball, and our baseball arguments probably had just as much substance.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 10:01pm

Post #110 of 134 (1981 views)
Shortcut
Depends upon what is 'news'... [In reply to] Can't Post

The first "news" item I was aware of was likely the ongoing news of the Viet Nam conflict over the course of several years and all of my childhood until I was a teen. The first 'news' that made a lifetime impact on me was Neil Armstrong of Wapakoneta, OH setting foot on the moon. I was my son's age now when that happened in July of 1969 (8) and I was allowed to stay up well past my bedtime to see it. The first 'news' of a different and personal kind was my watching the original series Star Trek during it's original run. Despite my young age (I was 5 in 1966), it struck me much more than anything else because it seemed a much more believable future than ridiculous notions that sometimes got on the air.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 10:15pm

Post #111 of 134 (1898 views)
Shortcut
Lunar phase... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question100920.html
Waxing, between crescent and half-moon. I was far too young to go outside to look but I did imagine it.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 10:24pm

Post #112 of 134 (1990 views)
Shortcut
1986 [In reply to] Can't Post

I was stationed in England and was just getting ready to go to work when my close friend Mike came to my room and when I answered told me simply, "Challenger's exploded!" I didn't have a lot of time before work but I dashed to the nearest television where it was being replayed over and over. Christa McAuliffe was the teacher's name - here in Colorado Springs there's an elementary school named for her.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 10:50pm

Post #113 of 134 (2041 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean about a local marine accident... [In reply to] Can't Post

I never heard of the MS Estonia until reading your post.

But growing up on the shore of the 10th largest freshwater body in the world (Lake Erie) and near to 5 of the 14 largest (the Great Lakes) I fully appreciate your love/respect of the ocean because in many ways the Great Lakes behave as an ocean does.

November 10th of 1975 a similar accident to what you describe when on Lake Superior the largest ship ever to be lost on the Great Lakes went down, spawning a popular song by Canadian folk singer Gordon Lightfoot. All 29 men lost their lives - it was an iron ore freighter. About a third of the crew, including the captain of the ship were from my home state of Ohio. Here's the YouTube video tribute with the Gordon Lightfoot song, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and it also includes some great footage, some of it of the "Mighty Fitz" and some of the wreck itself at the bottom of the lake, and even an exerpt of the newscast from the night it was lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 10:59pm

Post #114 of 134 (1915 views)
Shortcut
Okay, READ before posting! LIP [In reply to] Can't Post

"The wind and the wires made a tattle-tale sound as the waves broke over the railin'...."
---Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 11:04pm

Post #115 of 134 (2010 views)
Shortcut
It was just before Watergate... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I was very grief-stricken as it was the first Olympiad I'd ever watched. It was also the year that for the first time in decades American Frank Shorter won the marathon and swimmer Mark Spitz set a then-record with 7 gold medals. I was smitten with 14 year old Olga Korbut who wowed the Olympiad with her fearless performances leading the Russian team to another gold and a crowning Olympiad for Ludmila Tourischeva, their "old maid" captain at age 19! Four years before Nadia Comaneci of Romania scored the first-ever Olypmic "10" in competition.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 11:25pm

Post #116 of 134 (1920 views)
Shortcut
I thought about this when my grandmother passed away last July... [In reply to] Can't Post

She was born in 1911 and as I thought about it, there were more dramatic changes to the way humans lived their lives in her lifetime than in ALL of human history before her COMBINED!
Electricity in homes was not ubiquitous yet, automobiles were for the few still, WW I had not happened yet, telephones were not common. There were no professional sports apart from perhaps boxing. No television. Radio not yet taken hold. The abacus was the most advanced computer. Nuclear energy wasn't even theoretical, there were only 46 United States. J.R.R. Tolkien was a freshman at Oxford. The list is far more extensive, but your point is well-taken.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 11:31pm

Post #117 of 134 (1941 views)
Shortcut
Mods up!// [In reply to] Can't Post

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 11:36pm

Post #118 of 134 (1866 views)
Shortcut
It was a compliment until... [In reply to] Can't Post

You talked about being quiet amongst us. BIG no-no among this gaggle of codgers! Tongue

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 11:40pm

Post #119 of 134 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Or Roger and the boys... [In reply to] Can't Post

Still singin' "Hope I die before I get old!"

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 11:43pm

Post #120 of 134 (1950 views)
Shortcut
Bullroarer? [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't you mean Gerontius, the Old Took? I should think brash young ruffians like Bandobaras wouldn't live long because of the adventures that got them into battles! Then again, there are two kinds of old warrior - dead or deadly! Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 23 2011, 11:44pm

Post #121 of 134 (1953 views)
Shortcut
It is whatever you define it to be. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking of that too, how the Vietnam War was on the TV every night in gruesome detail throughout my childhood. It terrified me to think my brother might be drafted, but the war ended before he came of age.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 11:50pm

Post #122 of 134 (2584 views)
Shortcut
To be fair... [In reply to] Can't Post

All media does that and for good reason. There would be far too much 'news' to cover if every event around the globe got equal coverage. The further it is from the people directly affected, the less newsworthy it becomes.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 11:53pm

Post #123 of 134 (1914 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see the Berlin Wall RAISED as opposed to falling make the list... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though it was the year I was born (which gave me particular satisfaction to have outlived it), it was a very significant event.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 11:56pm

Post #124 of 134 (1858 views)
Shortcut
I felt the same way about her not wearing a seatbelt and I'm a LOT older// [In reply to] Can't Post

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 11:58pm

Post #125 of 134 (1912 views)
Shortcut
I asked my Mum if I would be drafted... [In reply to] Can't Post

It ended four years before I would've been eligible - so what do I do but spend 32 years of my adult life in and out of the military! Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.