The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Petition to Peter Jackson: Remove the Piece of Metal Stuck in Bifur's Forehead
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Dec 11 2011, 6:28pm

Post #1 of 278 (7901 views)
Shortcut
Petition to Peter Jackson: Remove the Piece of Metal Stuck in Bifur's Forehead Can't Post

Dear Mr. Jackson,

We hope this message finds you well. We, the undersigned, pragmatists and purists alike, are concerned that the piece of metal stuck in Bifur's forehead will hinder our suspension of disbelief when watching what are likely to be truly breathtaking films. You have made a valiant effort in bringing the Hobbit to life, and would not want that to be tainted by such a silly thing as this outrageously afflictive skull ornament. Shield-surfing is like a leisurely stroll in the park compared to the sheer implausibility of this gag.

As such, we hope you will consider:

1. Digitally removing this uncomfortably unlikely and crude cranial contraption from filmed and completed scenes
2. Cutting any scenes that reference this hurtful head accessory, and;
3. Physically extracting this forehead flight of fancy for future scenes that have not yet been filmed.

We would rather see Sam Gamgee fight off an army of maniacally malefic Mumakil with nothing but a frying pan and a can opener than to see a major member of the dwarf company so compromised.

Once again, we thank you for your valiant efforts in realizing Tolkien's vision on the big screen, and look forward to a swift resolution to this matter.

Best regards,
Gandalf's Mother and the undersigned

(This post was edited by Gandalf'sMother on Dec 11 2011, 6:31pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 11 2011, 6:35pm

Post #2 of 278 (5764 views)
Shortcut
Heck no. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to wait to see the film before deciding if any of the Dwarves and their designs are OTT.

At the risk of channelling gramma, I'm going to trust PJ.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 11 2011, 7:07pm

Post #3 of 278 (5645 views)
Shortcut
Erm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

As it happens I'd rather NOT see Sam Gamgee at all, with or without Mumakils, frying pans and can openers - this is 'The Hobbit' we're talking about (and the sarcasm in your comment does rather devalue the rest of your message...)

For the rest, count me out. I don't care for the look of the thing in Bifur's head but I can't pass judgement on something that, as yet, I don't fully understand. I'll wait and see, thanks.

Niniel Valinor
Rivendell

Dec 11 2011, 7:20pm

Post #4 of 278 (5566 views)
Shortcut
Erm no [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that something to start a petition for? Unsure

"Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2011, 7:20pm

Post #5 of 278 (5649 views)
Shortcut
Seconded! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I think it will make a difference, but I took it a step further:
Peter Jackson: Remove the axe from Bifur's head in the film adaptation of The Hobbit

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2011, 7:37pm

Post #6 of 278 (5547 views)
Shortcut
I'll sign a petition for that in a second [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess people are afraid if they upset PJ and he won't share anymore juicy tid bits of whats coming or what their doing. But I just think thats the wrong direction to take Bifur. and that piece of axe just looks terrible. Like I said a scar would be much cooler that something protruding from his forehead. (I still think thats a left over bit from DelToro) But it is way too cartoonish looking and wouldn't be very realistic for someone to walk around with a piece of axe sticking out of their forehead...

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2011, 7:41pm

Post #7 of 278 (5452 views)
Shortcut
LOL, no thanks.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 11 2011, 7:46pm

Post #8 of 278 (5490 views)
Shortcut
I can think of half a dozen reasons not to sign this petition other than being afraid of upsetting PJ // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

EyeRock
Bree

Dec 11 2011, 7:52pm

Post #9 of 278 (5517 views)
Shortcut
This is silly! REALLY silly! (IMO) [In reply to] Can't Post

This is at the same level as the protest letters sent to Warner Bros. 20 years ago when Michael Keaton was announced to play the lead in Batman (1989) (if this topic is serious ofc).

The metal isn't going anywhere, so get used to it!

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Dec 11 2011, 7:57pm

Post #10 of 278 (5467 views)
Shortcut
No as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've grown rather fond of it now. It's just a piece of Peter Jackson storytelling. The thought of a "Howling Mad" Murdock type dwarf has grown on me. It's not his fault he's so crazy. He can't help but be a fearless berserker dwarf...ready to snap at any moment. It's just the rusty axe in his brain Tongue Wink

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Dec 11 2011, 8:06pm)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2011, 7:59pm

Post #11 of 278 (5544 views)
Shortcut
'I still think thats a left over bit from DelToro' [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt that. Del Toro's creatures are outlandish but functional; they make sense under the rules of the story, whether it be a fairy tale, a comic-book adaptation, a grim drama or something else entirely. Even in works like Hellboy and The Strain, he places great emphasis on giving creatures a level of biological plausibility. A character with an axe sticking out of his skull does not really fit this pattern – it does not even make sense on a fantasy level. This kind of idiosyncrasy would be more acceptable if Bifur was some sort of stone golem or ancient demon, but that's not the case here – he's a Tolkien Dwarf, which is very similar in form and function to a real human being. I don't remember seeing anything comparable to this in GDT's work, and I'm fairly sure that Bifur's head ornament was PJ's idea, as it seems akin to the sort of gory jokes we saw in his early 'splatstick' films.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2011, 7:59pm

Post #12 of 278 (5490 views)
Shortcut
Go here [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.change.org/petitions/peter-jackson-remove-the-axe-from-bifurs-head-in-the-film-adaptation-of-the-hobbit#

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2011, 8:12pm

Post #13 of 278 (5498 views)
Shortcut
Not signed [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep it, PJ. Mere humans have lived their lives with such oddities stuck in their brains. Dwarves are the hardy folk, so therefore they if anyone should be able to survive that. We cannot let the Dwarves be inferior to Men, can we now?

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2011, 8:21pm

Post #14 of 278 (5414 views)
Shortcut
If this is meant to be tounge-in-cheek... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha ha!

If it's NOT meant to to be tongue-in-cheek...

Ha ha again! Evil

Or should that be "slab-in-head"?

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 11 2011, 8:22pm

Post #15 of 278 (5403 views)
Shortcut
Keep it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it, and how it make Bifur a bit "slow" as seen in the rivendell bit in the fourth video blog :D

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Dec 11 2011, 8:24pm

Post #16 of 278 (5405 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind a "howling mad" dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

But a "howling mad dwarf" with a stupid Halloween prop stuck in his head is just that. Stupid.

And while the sarcasm in the letter might hurt my case, I am trying not to take this all very seriously. Wink

But to all those who don't want to sign: how many of you think this will actually improve the films?

In any event, if you don't want to sign, don't! But I welcome those who want to.

-GM

(This post was edited by Gandalf'sMother on Dec 11 2011, 8:25pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2011, 8:27pm

Post #17 of 278 (5394 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it improves the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

However, it's not that bad. So as theyv'e already filmed lots of stuff, I say let them keep what they have. No cutting, no reshooting. They already had to hide poor Rob from the takes.

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Dec 11 2011, 8:29pm

Post #18 of 278 (5394 views)
Shortcut
Signed! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is going to be big. Really big. Bigger than Bifur's head wound.

-GM

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Dec 11 2011, 8:35pm

Post #19 of 278 (5403 views)
Shortcut
It's the "exposed wound" thing [In reply to] Can't Post

That makes this implausible, and Halloweeny.

A general audience associates visual gags of projectiles/sharp objects sticking out of one's head as a cheap Halloween trick. Fun at a party on Oct 31, but not appropriate for a film of a beloved book.

While there is humor in my petition, I really am worried that this thing could ruin the films for me.

-GM

(This post was edited by Gandalf'sMother on Dec 11 2011, 8:44pm)

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Dec 11 2011, 8:35pm

Post #20 of 278 (5358 views)
Shortcut
shrug [In reply to] Can't Post

we honestly have no idea what this movie is going to be like based on the 1% of information given to us thus far. Let's wait until it comes out k?

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2011, 8:37pm

Post #21 of 278 (5355 views)
Shortcut
Well, by contrast [In reply to] Can't Post

why is some of the fan base already convinced that almost everything in these films will ruin these films? Tongue

I'm particularly vexed by people who hated PJ's LotR, yet are complaining that a similar sensibility appears to be present in TH...really, what were they expecting? Laugh

BTW, by your estimation, which is more offensive: Bifur's Head Ornament, Itaril/Tauriel: Warrior Wench, or Bard: American Action Hero? Evil

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2011, 8:41pm

Post #22 of 278 (5395 views)
Shortcut
I predict [In reply to] Can't Post

That we'll be the only two to sign it.

But I did add a picture so that people can see what the deal is about.

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Dec 11 2011, 8:45pm

Post #23 of 278 (5353 views)
Shortcut
Amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

That something so dumb has already received acceptance, and even, support!

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Dec 11 2011, 8:48pm

Post #24 of 278 (5368 views)
Shortcut
Bifur's thing [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, it's worse than invented characters, as it threatens to puncture the suspension of disbelief bubble. It's just as bad, or worse, than puncturing the 4th wall in film-making, between the action on screen and the audience. For example, when an actor looks at the audience and communicates with them directly, that's puncturing the 4th wall. In my view, this has a similar effect. It's a crude and ridiculous wink at the audience. And, in the end, its neither very funny nor very clever.

-GM

(This post was edited by Gandalf'sMother on Dec 11 2011, 8:49pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 11 2011, 8:48pm

Post #25 of 278 (5383 views)
Shortcut
Well, I loved the LOTR films [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm seriously concerned about the effect this gag will have on my ability to similarly enjoy the Hobbit films. Yes I will refrain from judging the films until I see them, but I can see how that thing will be anything but a distraction in every scene in which Bifur appears.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.