Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What's the first big news story you remember?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What's the first big news story you remember?
Pearl Harbor
Kennedy assassination
Watergate
Fall of Saigon
Fall of the Berlin Wall
Challenger explosion
Oklahoma City bombing
9-11
Indonesian tsunami
Other (please explain)
View Results (68 votes)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2011, 1:16am

Post #76 of 134 (2853 views)
Shortcut
Ah, you mean . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

it was nothing like Bill Clinton's invasion of Somalia when the cameras and news people were waiting for the marines as they came ashore! The wall to wall coverage does make it seem somehow less believable.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2011, 1:26am

Post #77 of 134 (2134 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was funny, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

When people want to be insulting...they usually pick pretty direct ways of expressing themselves. :-)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 10 2011, 1:47am

Post #78 of 134 (2166 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Old is just a state of mind. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've realized this as I've gotten older. When my grandmother passed away last year of lung cancer at 67, I realized how young she really was. She was so healthy before she got sick, and when she did, she spent the remaining three years fighting off fatigue from treatment to spend as much time with her grandkids as she possibly could. She fought hard to make it to my college graduation, as sick as she was at the time, and I was oblivious to how sick she really was. That was the last significant amount of time she spent with me, so she said a few things that caught me off guard, about taking care of my siblings, and my mom. She passed away less than a month later. That whole experience basically changed the way I've thought about age and health ever since.

(This post was edited by Maiarmike on Dec 10 2011, 1:56am)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 10 2011, 1:49am

Post #79 of 134 (2282 views)
Shortcut
I had a teacher in high school... [In reply to] Can't Post

...who was a bit of a mentor to me, and I remember him telling us that he didn't remember the moon landing at all, because he was in the middle of Vietnam at the time, and didn't hear about it until later. That was kind of an eye-opener for us young whipper-snappers at the time.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2011, 3:17am

Post #80 of 134 (2211 views)
Shortcut
I think I used to believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

that old people were kind of born old. I was smarter than that. Logically, I knew better. But, when I was young... all I saw was a person who was old. And I was never going to be old. I might travel through years of existence but I would never be like *that*.

Growing older, I realized two things. Some things you have no choice about. And some things aren't that bad about being older.

Each phase of our life gives us gifts and if we can glimpse the gifts of those other times through others without having to be in them ourselves then we just have a richer life.

I'm sorry about your grandmother. She sounds like a good woman.

on a related note... RT wrote a parody to a Rolling Stones song (on Main) and I was walking around the house last night singing, "What a drag it is getting old" and boy was I feeling it yesterday. My husband and I laughed at how old Mick is these days and how he once said, "Never trust anyone over 30". Ah, the young can be so cocky. ;^)

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 10 2011, 3:52am

Post #81 of 134 (2753 views)
Shortcut
No, no Faenoriel [In reply to] Can't Post

It is just a bit of jocularity (quoting Father John Mulcahy).
I am largely a kidder. And all is meant for good natured fun with people i find dear and highly respect.
Carry on:).

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 10 2011, 4:20am

Post #82 of 134 (2143 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always enjoy reading your insights Magpie, it's good to see you around here more often lately. Smile

Thank you for your kind words about my grandmother, 'Nana' as we called her. She was definitely a saint. Her kids and grandkids were what she lived for.

willowing
Lorien

Dec 10 2011, 10:18am

Post #83 of 134 (2309 views)
Shortcut
this historic event is not mentioned... [In reply to] Can't Post

The release of Nelson Mandela from Robben Island in South Africa to become president of the same country that jailed him. His Christian faith made an impression on me ever since. Since this event we have seen South Africa come back into the international fold after its long years of isolation from the rest of the world. This was a shining light as the twentieth century came to a close.

I also remember the 1972 Olympic games where a terrorist group invaded the Israeli team's quarters and a number of athletes killed in the shootout and also the death of Elvis Presley in the same decade.

Then there was the guy called Jim Jones who commanded his followers to kill themselves in Guyana.

Anyway closer to home in 1967 our country of New Zealand decided it wanted to change its currency so the pounds, shillings and pence were done away with in favour of the dollars and cents. The same decade our own martime disaster when a ferry called the Wahine caught in a terrible storm struck a reef as it entered Wellington harbour and floundered and sank with loss of life.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2011, 1:07pm

Post #84 of 134 (2864 views)
Shortcut
I picked other [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing I remember the most from "big news" was the sinking of the Herald of Free Enterprise just outside of Zeebrugge in Belgium. It was March 1987 and I was in my final year of elementary school (I was 12 years old). The first hours of the sinking I watched at home on the news. After some days or weeks, I can't remember anymore the exact time, they lifted the ship and we watched that at school with the entire class.
The ship sunk just outside of the harbour of Zeebrugge and it was lying on it's side, so it was a really big visual picture, seeing that ship sideways.
I had to google it, 193 died that night, just terrible.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 10 2011, 3:33pm

Post #85 of 134 (2178 views)
Shortcut
I've lived 60 years, yes, but I'm not old yet! [In reply to] Can't Post

People in my family live to their 90s and even 100s. Both my parents are still alive, my dad plays tennis three times a week still, we took him hiking for his 85th birthday. I have no plans to be "old" for at least another 20 years and maybe not then. I do a lot of hiking and it's very cheering to see people in their 80s out in the mountains. I plan to be one of them.

If I decided to be "old" now I would get so bored so fast . . .

However, if you mean "wise elder" I am fine with that!

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 10 2011, 3:37pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2011, 3:46pm

Post #86 of 134 (2043 views)
Shortcut
That's what was implied [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel myself a complete brat in this company. Tongue

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 10 2011, 5:10pm

Post #87 of 134 (2830 views)
Shortcut
It seems like [In reply to] Can't Post

geographic proximity makes a big difference in how things affect us. My kids were touched by the Big Thompson flood, in which 145 people died, even though it happened before they were born, because their grandparents were survivors. And I remember being so horrified by the murder of Matthew Shepard, partly because he died in the same hospital where my children were born.

I'm ashamed that I don't remember the shipwreck you refer to. Our media tends to ignore things that happen far away, I guess. And maybe I do too.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 11 2011, 4:49am

Post #88 of 134 (2108 views)
Shortcut
As (apparently) the oldest person here, [In reply to] Can't Post

I represent that remark. Wink

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2011, 6:08am

Post #89 of 134 (2174 views)
Shortcut
Our obsession with youth is so silly [In reply to] Can't Post

But I remember when I was in Poland, a friend once called me Aged P (my real name starts with P). At first I was a bit hurt, thinking, "Middle-aged P, maybe, but not Aged P." But the tone in her voice as she saw me approach made it clear she was happy to see me and in no way intended to be hurtful. Plus, Aged P is a lovable character in Great Expectations, so I decided to take it as it was meant, a term of endearment. Now I'm actually fond of the name. I think we Americans are especially guilty of worrying about age; we could learn a lot from other cultures' attitudes about it.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2011, 6:34am

Post #90 of 134 (2118 views)
Shortcut
You must be descended from Bullroarer Took:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that your dad is still hiking and playing tennis at 85! Age really is just a number. Just ask the 83 year old man who performed my neurosurgery at the suggestion of my 30-something doctor.Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 11 2011, 7:11pm

Post #91 of 134 (2139 views)
Shortcut
We sang "Imagine" in church this morning <3 // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Dec 11 2011, 9:13pm

Post #92 of 134 (2056 views)
Shortcut
of course you did [In reply to] Can't Post

it's practically the Unitarian Doxology! Wink

Annael
Immortal

Dec 11 2011, 9:18pm

Post #93 of 134 (2115 views)
Shortcut
one of my great-aunts [In reply to] Can't Post

quit eating at 104, out of boredom and the fear that nothing else was going to kill her. That did!

The really good news is we keep ze little grey cells. My mom plays duplicate bridge several times a week and reports with glee that she always wins. (She does, however, tell us the same stories over and over - the short-term memory's gone a bit wonky.)

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Dec 11 2011, 10:52pm

Post #94 of 134 (2072 views)
Shortcut
Watergate [In reply to] Can't Post

I was about 6 at the time. Didn't have a clue what was going on but that's the first for me.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2011, 12:53am

Post #95 of 134 (2113 views)
Shortcut
The children sang his "Happy Christmas" [In reply to] Can't Post

this morning, at our church's annual Christmas Brunch (pot-luck style, and the kids perform individually or in groups while we're eating).

He is so greatly missed...Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2011, 12:56am

Post #96 of 134 (2132 views)
Shortcut
We were all so innocent [In reply to] Can't Post

until the '60s started picking up steam, and many of us were dragged kicking and screaming into reality...amazing how many are still in denial.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 12 2011, 3:25am

Post #97 of 134 (2092 views)
Shortcut
You know us all too well :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Dec 12 2011, 6:44am

Post #98 of 134 (2107 views)
Shortcut
ah, a well known quotation! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I only know it from repeat showings. I was old enough to be aware of the Falklands War but we were living overseas at the time so I didn't see the news. But after John Lennon's death, that's probably the next big event I remember. And the Royal Wedding.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Dec 12 2011, 6:48am

Post #99 of 134 (2167 views)
Shortcut
i always loved that song! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even before I really knew that it was by a Beatle!

You know, when I was little I thought that Reagan and Thatcher were the permanent leaders of the US and the UK... Laugh That was just the world view I got from the news when I was about four...!

FantasyFan
Rohan

Dec 12 2011, 5:13pm

Post #100 of 134 (2219 views)
Shortcut
Kennedy assassination [In reply to] Can't Post

I was five at the time, and don't remember much about it except we were allowed to watch the news on TV, which was not normally done at my house. I remember more that my parents were upset than anything else.

I have much clearer memories of the King assassination in 1968. My mom was crying when I got home from school, and she said, "They have killed a very good man."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.