Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Song Parodies/Name Both Tunes: Special Two-for-One "Party" Edition!!!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2011, 4:10am

Post #1 of 20 (405 views)
Shortcut
Song Parodies/Name Both Tunes: Special Two-for-One "Party" Edition!!! Can't Post

These two parodies belong together, you'll see why. I wrote them both in the same evening in succession, just yesterday in fact. Try to name both parodied tunes and their respective artists. It should be easy--if you already know the songs. Solutions, with links to audio & lyrics, to be posted after enough guesses have been posted. Good luck, have fun, enjoy!

AN UNEXPECTED PARTY

So itís just before his tea-time
When the bell rings at the door,
Itís a Dwarf who says ďÖat your service!Ē
Then the strained reply: ďÖ at yours!Ē
Gandalf knows heís too surprised for question-
ing, it never fails.

And itís all so good,
And itís all so fine,
And the Dwarves keep coming
And the next you know, thereís nine.
Itís an unexpected party for a
Hobbit who lives so conservatively.

And the nine become the thirteen
When that Gandalf shows at last.
And he serves the tea with seed-cake
While they talk about their past,
And he passes tarts as well as pie
To every reaching hand.

And itís all so good,
And itís all so fine,
And the Dwarves keep eating
And keep talking as they dine.

And he loves his home Bag End,
And he loves his pipe the best,
But when Thorin and the rest
Play and sing about their quest,
Something Tookish from his motherís side
Awakes in him anon.

And itís all so good,
And itís all so fine,
And while Thorinís making his speech,
Hears his host drop flat and whine.

So they talk about his share,
And he pores over the Contract,
Asks about the secret door,
Heís an avid map fan, in fact.
But the wizard knows the best about
The overarching stakes.

And itís all so good,
And itís all so fine,
As the Dwarves fill his spare-rooms,
Their song echoes in his mind.
burglar, expert treasure hunter, indeed.

A LONG-EXPECTED PARTY

What a drag I feel in my soul.

Things are different today.
Itís my birthday party day,
And I need some way to leave here with a bang!
Haven't aged a day, though old,
Thanks to this here Ring of gold.
Iíve been running for the shelter of my precious little helper.
Now I need a better way, get me gone from here, away.

Things are different today,
All the Hobbit children say,
When that wagon comes a-rolling down the drag.
Here come Boffins, Tooks and Chubbs,
Brandybucks, Proudfoots and Grubbs,
But Iím running for the shelter, itís Lobelia, here help her-
Self to cake and ale today, and Bag End if had her way.

Gandalf please, wonít you ease
Me out the door, can take no more.

My dear Hobbits here today.
Itís Frodoís and my birthday.
Donít know half of you half well as I should like,
Less than half of you good sirs, like but half well as deserved.
Now Iím running for the shelter of my precious little helper,
Itís THE END, GOODBYE tonight, disappear right from your sight.

Gandalf please, wonít you ease
Me out the door, can take no more.

Lifeís just much too hard today,
Think I need a holiday
Where the Road Goes Ever Ever On and On.
Well-preserved, Iím stretched the most, butter spread thin over toast.
No more running for the shelter of that precious little helper,
It just helped me on my way. Whither now? I cannot say.

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 9 2011, 4:32am

Post #2 of 20 (203 views)
Shortcut
I do believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

A Well Respected Man - Kinks

Mother's Little Helper - Rolling Stones

Love the Kinks.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2011, 11:21am

Post #3 of 20 (152 views)
Shortcut
Nearly scared the cat off my lap [In reply to] Can't Post

with laughing!

The first one I caught at the chorus: it's the Kink's "Well-Respected Man", of course, and very appropriate for our "most conservative" Hobbit!

The second was a give-away at the third word: the Stone's "Mother's Little Helper"...what a way to define the Ring, LOL!

Excellent fun again, Rux, thank you! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 9 2011, 1:08pm

Post #4 of 20 (235 views)
Shortcut
Here's my guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

I warned you I can't sing... and I messed up at the end because I kept wanting to sing the original lyrics! Blush

http://youtu.be/dDQycbZ5nL0

acheron
Gondor

Dec 9 2011, 3:06pm

Post #5 of 20 (204 views)
Shortcut
Only knew the second one [In reply to] Can't Post

Got the second one right away, but I wasn't getting the first at all. Looking at others' answers, it's a song I'm not especially familiar with -- heard it before once or twice I'm sure, but it's not one that came to mind easily.

Anyway, I keep saying it, but these song parodies are fantastic. Cool

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2011, 4:15pm

Post #6 of 20 (183 views)
Shortcut
Rock on!!! *flicks lighter* [In reply to] Can't Post

Love it! I'm biased, but still. Saw your performance this morning and was clapping and singing along, not exaggerating. Specifically, I did the high-part 3rd interval harmony for each chorus (I like harmonizing). Well done, even with the rough part at the end as you mentioned. You deserve bonus points for going "above and beyond" in entering your guess! Encore please! -- I'm hoping for another performance "guess" for the 2nd song.

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 9 2011, 4:23pm

Post #7 of 20 (157 views)
Shortcut
I warrant... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you have to be of a certain age to know the Kinks. They were played on the air but had a bit of 'underground' (which would translate to 'indie' in today's language) flair to them. So they aren't replayed as much as other peer bands.

They were my favorite band in my teen years (late 60s) and they remain a highly favored band today (in nostalgia... Ray Davies is still around but the band isn't).

Go listen to one Kinks song at youtube and then scan the suggested videos for more to listen to. See what you think.

LOTR soundtrack website

telain
Rohan

Dec 9 2011, 4:27pm

Post #8 of 20 (145 views)
Shortcut
my guesses (?) [In reply to] Can't Post

#1 Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo
#2 Mother's Little Helper by The Rolling Stones

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 9 2011, 6:35pm

Post #9 of 20 (136 views)
Shortcut
*wild applause* [In reply to] Can't Post

WooHoo! That was great! Laugh

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 9 2011, 6:40pm

Post #10 of 20 (175 views)
Shortcut
I'm not familiar with the original songs. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I did love these!

I only know a few Kinks songs like "Lola", "All Day and All of the Night", "You Really Got Me". That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

And, sorry, I just never liked The Rolling Stones at all. Unimpressed

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 9 2011, 7:46pm

Post #11 of 20 (146 views)
Shortcut
You can so sing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your voice sounds lovely to me. It was a lot of fun to hear it (and now I'm thinking I want you to do my Hobbit song but it's kind of a different sort of song than this one).

For the slightly hard of hearing (me), the guitar was a little louder than the voice... a product of your limited recording set up, I'm sure. But I'll vote for you doing as many of these as you're up for.

LOTR soundtrack website

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 10 2011, 1:11am

Post #12 of 20 (153 views)
Shortcut
Uncle!!! :o [In reply to] Can't Post

I was having so much fun reading the lyrics, I just couldn't link them into any sone... but for what I did experience... WELL DONE!!! :D

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2011, 2:57am

Post #13 of 20 (223 views)
Shortcut
*applauds* Groovy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Wow, you've got a Kinks'-type voice, that was great! (Seriously, you had me singing along on the chorus with the descant!)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 10 2011, 1:28pm

Post #14 of 20 (161 views)
Shortcut
Aw, thanks guys! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry if my voice sounds quiet, I was actually singing pretty loud (though it doesn't sound like it).
I wasn't going to do another because I can't stand hearing my own voice... but you're all so enthusiastic, I might try one more... maybe I'll grab a mic next time Wink

Thanks again, for not laughing at me Blush

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 10 2011, 2:01pm

Post #15 of 20 (157 views)
Shortcut
Solutions, Results, and Thanks, oh my! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for playing, players!

Solutions are here:

1. The Kinks, A Well Respected Man.

Source song audio with lyrics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcSm0ShU8Y8
Just the source lyrics http://www.lyricsfreak.com/...ed+man_20078987.html

I'd like to mention that Oingo Boingo, Dead Man's Party was a really good guess by telain. It just so happens, after writing both "Party" parodies, I did consider that song for an alternate Unexpected Party or Long-Expected Party parody. It would probably work, somehow.

2. The Rolling Stones, Mother's Little Helper.

Source song audio with lyrics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfGYSHy1jQs
Just the source lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/...helper_20117873.html

Results:

Deep thanks and honorable mention to AlassŽa Eruvande and grammaboodawg for their effort and participation, which is really the most important thing to me, your humble host of this game.

Quacking Troll, acheron, and telain each guessed one out of two, well done! Each one receives: a gold trophy shaped as a party hat!

Big special mention to Quacking Troll for his going "above and beyond" in the manner of presenting his guess, and the most excellent way in which he performed it. Bonus points goes to him in the form of:
his trophy features an engraving of a guitar and microphone! And a request for more please!

*hands trophy to each*

Magpie and dernwyn each had two out of two correct guesses! Bravo! Each one receives: (drumroll please)

(roll)

(roll)

(roll)

a trophy shaped as a party hat, with engraving of the Party Tree, featuring Ray Davies and Mick Jagger sized and constumed as hobbits, sitting under the tree, each with pint of ale in hand and smoking "pipeweed" together! (cymbal crash!)

Also, both of you have given me inspiration on how to make the next one a bit more challenging... Evil

Special mention goes to magpie for guessing first, and *really* swiftly! Right after I posted, her reply came in like a buzzer from a Jeopardy contestant.

*hands trophy to each*

I also wanted to say Thanks for the kind words about the parodies too! I'm glad when anyone has enjoyed them, as I've enjoyed writing them.

This time in particular, I've had great fun finding how the two song parodies go together. "Party" theme and other content commonalities aside, I think the source songs are a bit similar musically in various ways. And the way they differ from each other might be analogous to the way the Unexpected Party from the story differs from A Long-Expected Party from the story.

Stay tuned for the next installment of Song Parody Name that Tune! In the next installment, a dramatic twist: contestants will be challenged to Guess the Missing Lyric! Hope to see you then!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Dec 10 2011, 2:16pm

Post #16 of 20 (156 views)
Shortcut
Yes, more please! Encore! Also, lyrics update [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry but in case you're going to do the second one, and I hope you do, I wanted to let you know, I have done some rethinking of some lyrics of A Long Expected Party:

Instead of "What a drag I feel in my soul", it should be

What a drag it is on my soul

And instead of

"My dear Hobbits here today.
Itís Frodoís and my birthday."

It should be

My dear Hobbits here today
for Frodoís and my birthday,

Thanks!

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2011, 2:30pm

Post #17 of 20 (223 views)
Shortcut
You hit the right time period for me [In reply to] Can't Post

...in terms of knowing the songs. And I just happened to check the boards at the right time.

And... I am Hermione when it comes to raising my hand.

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 10 2011, 2:31pm)

telain
Rohan

Dec 10 2011, 11:35pm

Post #18 of 20 (151 views)
Shortcut
I saw "party" and... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when "An Unexpected Party" fit "(It's a) Dead Man's Party" I could NOT get the tune out of my head. My only option at that point was to hope...

I shall treasure my party hat!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 11 2011, 3:08am

Post #19 of 20 (212 views)
Shortcut
My, what a most...er, interesting...trophy... [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL! May I have the younger versions of those two guys as Hobbits? Ray was much cuter then, and Mick was...ah, less wrinkly...Tongue

Thank you, thank you, and I must admit that, like Magpie, those songs were right in my "time period" - the days of "classic rock"!

But they do make an awesome "matched pair" of parodies, don't they? Hey - they're a "parody pair"!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 11 2011, 2:54pm

Post #20 of 20 (154 views)
Shortcut
Outstanding!! Well played :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.