Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What's the first big news story you remember?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What's the first big news story you remember?
Pearl Harbor
Kennedy assassination
Watergate
Fall of Saigon
Fall of the Berlin Wall
Challenger explosion
Oklahoma City bombing
9-11
Indonesian tsunami
Other (please explain)
View Results (68 votes)

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Dec 8 2011, 5:42pm

Post #51 of 134 (2241 views)
Shortcut
9-11 [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Dec 8 2011, 5:58pm

Post #52 of 134 (2170 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

Friends and I are also holding out for a Pope Buster.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 8 2011, 6:14pm

Post #53 of 134 (2391 views)
Shortcut
*creaky voice* why, I remember . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

black-and-white TV with only 3-4 channels, rotary dial phones (we were on a party line at first but because my dad was a doctor, we got a private line which was a big deal), all cars were stick shift and didn't have seatbelts, no interstate highways so it took forever to drive anywhere, no Internet so you had to do all your school research in the library or using the encyclopedias everyone had, "snail mail" was your only option, drive-in theaters and bowling alleys and skating rinks everywhere, no "shopping malls," no one in the US played soccer, women could be nurses or teachers and that was about it, black people were "colored," and the Russians were going to bomb us out of existence any day now.

Then I think about my folks (still kicking at 86 and 92) and all the things they've seen and lived through, including the Great Depression and World War II. What a lot of changes the 20th century brought! Wonder what I will see by the time I'm their age.

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 8 2011, 6:15pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 8 2011, 7:09pm

Post #54 of 134 (2217 views)
Shortcut
Yep, fellow 1982 baby here // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 8 2011, 7:44pm

Post #55 of 134 (2273 views)
Shortcut
The one I remember was the Thresher. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember hoping for days that the submarine would be found and men rescued.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 8 2011, 10:24pm

Post #56 of 134 (2869 views)
Shortcut
I remember that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2011, 3:11am

Post #57 of 134 (2373 views)
Shortcut
Pope George Ringo:) Maybe one day that injustice will be remedied:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Even not so waaay back in nineteen-ought and seventy-eight, we didn't yet have the 24hr news monster to keep fed with constant nattering. Graphics didn't yet fill the screen so that there was no room left for the announcers, so there was still a solemn, respectful feel about the story. (BTW, I know his real name was Karol Wojtyla, and that John Paul II was the name he chose. In my previous post, it sounded like I thought the Cardinals voted for someone conveniently named JPII. Just clarifyingSmile)

I was living in Poland without a TV at the time that John Paul II was on his deathbed so I didn't see all the talking heads and graphics, etc. but I remember walking around Krakow and seeing all the lights and cameras set up for reporters to give their updates and make the big announcement as soon as the news came down. I was spared all the constant analysis by talking heads, as you say, during that time, but saw behind the scenes in a way. However, I did watch the funeral with a Polish friend; the coverage was very tasteful and respectful.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Dec 9 2011, 3:17am)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2011, 4:21am

Post #58 of 134 (2281 views)
Shortcut
Oops.. [In reply to] Can't Post

empty-voted.....I think my first big news might have been Reagan getting shot???? I'm not sure, I may have to give this one more thought....

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2011, 6:42am

Post #59 of 134 (2284 views)
Shortcut
Does a presidential election count as a big news story? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was only about 6 years old when Jimmy Carter ran for president, but I remember I wanted him to win. I thought he was cuter than Gerald Ford. Over the next few years, I became more aware of world events. The energy crisis, the Iranian hostage crisis, two new popes in rapid succession (J.P. I and J.P. II about a month later), and especially the assassination attempts on Reagan and on Pope John Paul II are the big stories that stand out from that 6-11 year old age range you mentioned. I wonder what my kids will remember. My oldest was only 3 years old on Sept. 11, and I'm thankful she won't have memories of that.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 9 2011, 12:21pm

Post #60 of 134 (2252 views)
Shortcut
Sure, if it made an impression on you. [In reply to] Can't Post

That might be another good question, asking people what's the first president they remember.

It will be interesting to see what your kids will remember. Maybe some of the natural disasters of the past couple of years.

I found it interesting that my son remembered the fall of the Berlin Wall, one of the few good things in my list. I think it made an impression on him because I was crying at the news, and he asked me what was wrong, and I said sometimes people cry when they're happy.

In connection with the Iranian hostage crisis, we had a local hostage from the Lebanese hostage crisis, Tom Sutherland, and the day he came home was one of the best days I can remember. We had a parade, and the whole town turned out, and we gathered 10,000 strong in the gym and sang "Amazing Grace" while the bagpipes played, and he stood beaming and weeping and holding his wife's hand.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 9 2011, 12:24pm

Post #61 of 134 (2330 views)
Shortcut
Yup :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

My grandmother was born in 1905 and died in 2000, and I think what an amazing amount of change she lived through.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Dec 9 2011, 7:11pm

Post #62 of 134 (2288 views)
Shortcut
Does the shooting of John Lennon count? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's the first 'news' event I remember. I was 5 at the time. My Dad explained to me that it was the man who sang 'Imagine' - I knew the song but hadn't recognised the name on the news...

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 9 2011, 7:26pm

Post #63 of 134 (2316 views)
Shortcut
That's another event I remember clearly [In reply to] Can't Post

I had stayed the night at a girlfriend's house and John had been in the news lately and we got to talking about his life choices (staying home with Sean, etc.). I had always loved the Beatles, they were my first big crush. I had followed John for years and had a lot of admiration for him.

I woke up the next morning to my girlfriend coming into the room saying, "John was shot and killed." I was stunned and fairly upset. I went into work and was in the back storeroom when a co-worker came in crying. She said an old friend she hadn't seen in years just walked in, handed her a rose and walked out again and my co-worker just lost it. They had both had crushes on John when they were younger. The rest of the staff were clueless about why we were both upset.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 9 2011, 7:59pm

Post #64 of 134 (2314 views)
Shortcut
Of course it counts! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2011, 10:04pm

Post #65 of 134 (2329 views)
Shortcut
Blimey, you people are OLD! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I kind of new that already, but still.

I mean old.

As in OLD.

This relevant, as the uprising I received taught me to remain silent in the company of adults.

Cool

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 9 2011, 10:08pm

Post #66 of 134 (2268 views)
Shortcut
I may be old. [In reply to] Can't Post

But who said I was an adult?

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 9 2011, 10:32pm

Post #67 of 134 (2361 views)
Shortcut
what fun is there in that? [In reply to] Can't Post

taught me to remain silent in the company of adults.

I have lots of young friends. They keep me from falling asleep in my chair. :-)

and I often explain my age in a variety of ways:

Older than book Frodo when he left the Shire to destroy the Ring.

Elder... not to be confused with Eldar.

and...

Older than dirt.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 9 2011, 10:43pm

Post #68 of 134 (2219 views)
Shortcut
Or as my husband says: [In reply to] Can't Post

I may be old, but I sure am slow.

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 9 2011, 11:04pm

Post #69 of 134 (2271 views)
Shortcut
I love it when young whipper snappers say that... [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileYou wanna race?
Boy, are you in trouble nowSly

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 9 2011, 11:11pm

Post #70 of 134 (2258 views)
Shortcut
Eh? What's that you say? I can't hear you because I'm OLD!! [In reply to] Can't Post

TongueCoolLaugh

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2011, 11:33pm

Post #71 of 134 (2233 views)
Shortcut
I hope people didn't get insulted [In reply to] Can't Post

In my speech, "old" is almost always a compliment.

I know our Western culture doesn't feel the same way.

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 9 2011, 11:39pm

Post #72 of 134 (2360 views)
Shortcut
I also remember Stevie Ray Vaughan's death. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although not a particularly early memory, since I was 25 at the time.

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2011, 12:02am

Post #73 of 134 (2392 views)
Shortcut
"I counted them all out and I counted them all back" [In reply to] Can't Post

The Falklands War is probably the earliest big thing I remember. Watching the news everynight to find out what happened hearing about HMS Sheffield, Coventry and Antelope and the Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram.

No rolling news back then but somehow the simple reports and the film that took a while to arrive back make it seem much more stark in my memory than more modern conflicts with the endless coverage.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 10 2011, 12:07am

Post #74 of 134 (2220 views)
Shortcut
I can only speak for myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't insulted. I thought it was funny. And I certainly don't want to race Silneldor. He's older than I am in years, but waaay more fit.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 10 2011, 12:14am

Post #75 of 134 (2303 views)
Shortcut
Yep, me too, but a bit later in the day [In reply to] Can't Post

since we were on the way home from Missouri and had to stop on the road and watch it on a tiny scratchy black and white T.V up in the corner of a tiny motel office--one of the highlights of my life as I am a space/astronomy nut!BlushSmile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.