The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Movies get death by lava all wrong

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 8 2011, 4:50pm

Post #1 of 25 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Movies get death by lava all wrong Can't Post

Wired magazine explains how Gollum really should have died: http://www.wired.com/...-you-fall-into-lava/

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?
Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013
Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

IDLookout
Rivendell

Dec 8 2011, 5:04pm

Post #2 of 25 (512 views)
Shortcut
Ha [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it!

Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
He's only three feet tall.
The bravest little hobbit of them all.

-Leonard Nimoy

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 8 2011, 5:20pm

Post #3 of 25 (550 views)
Shortcut
Thanks I've alays wondered if it was Accurate.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he should have Burst into Flames
even as he got close to the LAVA...The Heat would have killed him
as he hit the Flow.

We would seen him burned alive floating on surface
and then the Charded remains would just turn into Dust.

But I'm sure PJ wanted the Most dramtic way, and Less Grusome,
by having him dissapper into the Lava,
leaving the ring to finally melt.
A couple of non-ringers thought that was wrong,TOO!
xoxoBomby

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 8 2011, 6:34pm

Post #4 of 25 (494 views)
Shortcut
The things I learn on TORN... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I just need a relevant party conversation for me to whip this puppy out and amaze (or confound) all my friends! Or something.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

squire
Half-elven

Dec 8 2011, 7:42pm

Post #5 of 25 (561 views)
Shortcut
Not news to loyal (and intelligent) TORn fans, of course [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen the lava-ain't-water objection quite often in lists of LotR errors/FX fails over the years. There was a good discussion here on this scene and its requirement that viewers with a clue about physics suspend disbelief.

I myself would have been fine with Gollum being flash-incinerated, hand last. And the ring should not have sunk, but rather melted into a gold mist that the camera could have followed as it rose with the smoke and fumes back up and past Sam and Frodo.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 8 2011, 7:55pm

Post #6 of 25 (521 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course showing it that way would have pushed the film into an R rating.

Brother will fight brother and both be his slayer,
brother and sister will violate all bonds of kinship;
hard it will be in the world, there will be much failure of honor,
an age of axes, an age of swords, where shields are shattered,
an age of winds, an age of wolves, where the world comes crashing down;
no man will spare another.

-From the Völuspá, 13th Century

IDLookout
Rivendell

Dec 8 2011, 8:33pm

Post #7 of 25 (485 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ring was abnormally heavy and dense. I could see the ring sinking as the way to go.

He's only three feet tall.
The bravest little hobbit of them all.

-Leonard Nimoy

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 8 2011, 9:04pm

Post #8 of 25 (576 views)
Shortcut
I thought it melted, rather than sank. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And the ring should not have sunk,

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

squire
Half-elven

Dec 9 2011, 1:59am

Post #9 of 25 (504 views)
Shortcut
As far as I can make out, it sank [In reply to] Can't Post

But without the "floop", unfortunately.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2011, 2:15am

Post #10 of 25 (449 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also remember Peter specifically talking about this moment in the commentary or appendices. He talks about how he could have had Gollum writhe in pain and burst into flame, but they decided against it.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2011, 2:49am

Post #11 of 25 (508 views)
Shortcut
Just watched it... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's both. It starts to sink into the lava and, in the process, melts.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2011, 6:45am

Post #12 of 25 (494 views)
Shortcut
Everybody wins! ;) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

telain
Rohan

Dec 9 2011, 1:24pm

Post #13 of 25 (424 views)
Shortcut
and yes again [In reply to] Can't Post

I see the Ring being responsible for the "unreality" of this scene. It is trying to save itself, is it not?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 9 2011, 1:49pm

Post #14 of 25 (540 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't it be cool to see Gollum burst into flames while falling [In reply to] Can't Post

and then on impact with the lava just poof into ash.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 9 2011, 3:17pm

Post #15 of 25 (460 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. Still... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it looks exactly like all the other magical rings falling into magical lava while being held by a 500 year old magically enhanced hobbit I've ever personally seen so I do have to grant it verisimilitude.

Brother will fight brother and both be his slayer,
brother and sister will violate all bonds of kinship;
hard it will be in the world, there will be much failure of honor,
an age of axes, an age of swords, where shields are shattered,
an age of winds, an age of wolves, where the world comes crashing down;
no man will spare another.

-From the Völuspá, 13th Century

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 9 2011, 4:39pm

Post #16 of 25 (443 views)
Shortcut
The only problem [In reply to] Can't Post

is that Gollum didn't jump into the lava after the ring had been thrown in like he says. Evil

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Dec 9 2011, 8:30pm

Post #17 of 25 (450 views)
Shortcut
He seems to leave out [In reply to] Can't Post

The effect of falling into lava from a very high place. Would not the velocity of a person (or a Gollum) falling into lava, affect whether or not one sinks into it?

The "styrofoam" person test doesn't work, as he does not drop the person from on high...

In any event, I do think that the way Gollum hits the lava, stops, and then sinks into it is certainly unrealistic. But, of course, we are talking about Sauron's special lava, Sauron's special jewelry, a special being who has lived far beyond his years because of that special jewelry, and...well, you get the point.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2011, 8:32pm

Post #18 of 25 (517 views)
Shortcut
But then.... [In reply to] Can't Post

we couldn't have had the added drama of Frodo hanging over the edge debating whether to give up or not, and being hauled back up by Sam....yeah, bursting into flames or ash would have been better.

Actually, I'm in favor of skipping the immolation altogether and sticking closer to the book here. I've never felt that the extension of the scene helped the drama of it. In fact, I think it messed up the pacing of a desperate close escape by making us wait too long for it, just as I feel the the Eowyn/Witchking scene suffers by being cut away from in the middle. I can understand why the filmmakers made both of those decisions, but I don't think they were entirely successful. Part of the impact of Tolkien's style is that when the action happens, it happens suddenly and leaves the reader in as much shock as the characters. I think the movies fell into a trap of trying to draw out the drama in order to justify the buildup and ended up diffusing the impact when they might have done better to stick to the shock-and-awe tactics like Gandalf's fall in Moria- and even then I think he hangs on for just a second or two too long. I vividly remember reading that chapter in the book and how I couldn't believe what I'd just read - he was there, he looked like he had won, he was gone....and what will we do now? Our general is dead, we don't know what to do next, we have hardly gotten started on the journey! I do think the movie scene of the Fellowship in shock just outside the East Gate of Moria captured that feeling beautifully. I wish some of my other favorite scenes had come across as well.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Dec 9 2011, 8:52pm

Post #19 of 25 (504 views)
Shortcut
Excellent point [In reply to] Can't Post

But then again, the LOTR films are an exercise in dragging out, or "milking" scenes that were poignant as they were in the books, and hacking down scenes that needed fleshing out.

It all feels almost backwards. Effective short scenes from the books are made long and diffuse in the films, and effective longer scenes from the books are shortened or excised altogether to make room for those elongations...

-GM

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2011, 11:09pm

Post #20 of 25 (426 views)
Shortcut
Yeah but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the point of that scene is less about the shock of the ring being destroyed (as important as it may be) and more about Frodo choosing not to follow it down and accepting Sam's plea to not let go (and only then could the Ring be unmade). I think that's the more interesting thing to play, so I'm glad PJ approached the scene that way. Always keep the drama rooted in the characters. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 9 2011, 11:14pm)

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Dec 9 2011, 11:42pm

Post #21 of 25 (506 views)
Shortcut
I think Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Played it most interestingly.

Though PJ's version wasn't horrible...

-GM

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2011, 2:50am

Post #22 of 25 (1288 views)
Shortcut
Except that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

that particular dilemma is not in Tolkien, only in the movie. In a nutshell, the filmmakers chose to portray the Ring's hold on its bearers as an addiction. Tolkien portrays it much more as a slavery; a spiritual possession. It's perhaps slightly ironic then, that in the movie, after establishing for three movies that Frodo could not give it up, they then had him do exactly that, and be a party to its destruction. Whereas in Tolkien's version, Frodo could not give up the Ring because it possessed him while he possessed it and could not will to destroy it, but when it was taken away and destroyed for him, he was himself again. He was wounded and broken, but no longer naked in the dark, no longer a slave. The loss of the Ring made him free.

'Well, this is the end, Sam Gamgee,' said a voice by his side. And there was Frodo, pale and worn, and yet himself again; and in his eyes there was peace now, neither strain of will, nor madness, nor any fear. His burden was taken away. There was the dear master of the sweet days in the Shire. 'Master!' cried Sam, and fell upon his knees. In all that ruin of the world for the moment he felt only joy, great joy. The burden was gone. His master had been saved; he was himself again, he was free.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 10 2011, 4:28pm

Post #23 of 25 (426 views)
Shortcut
With all that viscosity he mentions, maybe he slipped? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 14 2011, 9:06pm

Post #24 of 25 (376 views)
Shortcut
Of course it melted.. [In reply to] Can't Post

First, it is totally obvious that the gold ring turns into liquid.
Second, the ENTIRE 12 HOUR MOVIE is leading up to this...do you really think we wouldn't see the ring officially destroyed?

Starhelm
The Shire

Dec 20 2011, 11:49pm

Post #25 of 25 (420 views)
Shortcut
Fantasy science. [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering that the ring cannot be undone in any way but to be cast into the lava of Orodruin, it would suggest to me that not only is the ring made in a very particular way, but it's possible that the lava is of a very particular kind. We are thinking that this lava is like our lava, but that logic doesn't apply to the ring itself. I am not a physics expert, and it would take a lot of thinking to really put Gollum's sinking into a solid fantasy scenario/science, but maybe the lava has a different kind of density which lends it the ability to pull a person under? That would seem to make sense--Sauron was a person of cunning, who used the One Ring to seduce and drown, so it would only make sense that the forge of Sauron would be built in a volcano with lava that can pull a person under.

And I completely realize this is probably a bit ridiculous and a shot in the dark, and we'll never really know, but at least it's a different way of thinking about it. :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.