Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Your favorite genre of fiction
Poll: Your favorite genre of fiction
Action-adventure
Crime
Detective
Fantasy
Historic Drama
Horror
Inspirational
Mystery
Romance
Science fiction
War
Western
Literary fiction
Other
View Results (124 votes)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2011, 8:46am

Post #1 of 24 (625 views)
Shortcut
Your favorite genre of fiction Can't Post

Multiple answers allowed, but please don't choose more than three!

Inspirational means fiction with religious themes aimed at Christian audience. (I assume there's also inspirational fiction for other religions.)

Literary fiction is the fiction outside of the traditional genres. For example it could just deal with everyday life and humanity.

I was hesistant to add Historic Drama as a genre, as technically you could claim it isn't. However, I assumed there's enough readers who specially prefer historic tales over present day stories, so I listed it independently.

Spencissimus
Lorien

Dec 7 2011, 8:58am

Post #2 of 24 (353 views)
Shortcut
Historical fiction...no doubt about it [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially Bernard Cornwell!

Nightingale
Rohan

Dec 7 2011, 9:37am

Post #3 of 24 (353 views)
Shortcut
Detective, Fantasy... [In reply to] Can't Post

and historical fiction! As a historian, it's my guilty pleasure. Wink
I know there are some inaccuracies, but I love a good story

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2011, 9:50am

Post #4 of 24 (325 views)
Shortcut
Science-fiction and fantasy. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Spencissimus
Lorien

Dec 7 2011, 11:11am

Post #5 of 24 (341 views)
Shortcut
me too! What sort of history do you love?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Nightingale
Rohan

Dec 7 2011, 12:14pm

Post #6 of 24 (373 views)
Shortcut
My favourite is 'Early Modern' [In reply to] Can't Post

which, subject to argument, is about 1500-1750. Especially the 'popular culture' of the period, (yes, I know that's a loaded term for historians Wink).

Anything after 1850-ish interests me little in historical study terms I'm afraid, (although being brought up on Dad's Army means I was always keen to know more about WW2).
I'm definitely more of a cultural than political or economic historian. Mention Marxist historiography, and I will begin to drift.... Sly

Spencissimus
Lorien

Dec 7 2011, 12:50pm

Post #7 of 24 (351 views)
Shortcut
I start to drift as soon as anyone mentions Post Modern history [In reply to] Can't Post

The Early Modern period is interesting, though not my favourite era. My area of interest is pretty broad...I love Anglo-Saxon England, Napoleonic Europe, the American Civil War, the Pacific Theatre in WWII, European monarchical history...I could go on!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 7 2011, 3:28pm

Post #8 of 24 (312 views)
Shortcut
Science Fiction // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 7 2011, 3:33pm

Post #9 of 24 (355 views)
Shortcut
As I get older I gravitate more to literary fiction. [In reply to] Can't Post

As a younger person, fantasy and science fiction and mysteries were my choices. But lately I find myself reading more realistic fiction. Some of my childhood favorites were in that genre too, like The Secret Garden and To Kill a Mockingbird. The most recent one I read and enjoyed was Shine, by Lauren Myracle.

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 7 2011, 3:41pm

Post #10 of 24 (340 views)
Shortcut
yes, there is [In reply to] Can't Post

tons of inspirational literature for non-Christians. I'm particularly fond of the writings of the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh (Buddhism) and Hafiz and Rumi (Sufism).

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Dec 7 2011, 6:55pm

Post #11 of 24 (338 views)
Shortcut
Most of my reading habits lean toward Sci-Fi, Action-adventure, and Fantasy. [In reply to] Can't Post

The latter taking up the large majority of my book shelf.Wink

(This post was edited by Gimli'sBox on Dec 7 2011, 6:56pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 7 2011, 7:25pm

Post #12 of 24 (345 views)
Shortcut
For the last many years it has been detective/mystery fiction. [In reply to] Can't Post

With a liberal sprinkling of humor (Wodehouse, Benson, Jerome, etc.) and always the classics, such as Dickens and Austen.

I've been sneaking a little bit back into the fantasy genre of late, but not enough yet to call it "favorite."

You'd think, with my religious leanings, that I would like inspirational fiction, but so much of it is badly written drivel by authors with more sincerity than skill. And I'm not interested enough to fish through the junk to find the gems.

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Dec 7 2011, 7:27pm)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 7 2011, 10:47pm

Post #13 of 24 (340 views)
Shortcut
I have trouble with Historic Fiction... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because I'm a historian and know too much! I get just as annoyed when they get the history wrong as Tolkien book fans get when the movies mess with ME history!

So, to relax I like a good mystery. I'm reading more non-fiction nowadays, though.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 8 2011, 3:40am

Post #14 of 24 (338 views)
Shortcut
I have a little trouble answering this [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't tend to like genres so much as particular authors, so when I find an author I like I'll read everything I can find that they've written. But just because I like one detective story doesn't mean I'll like any other detective story, or fantasy, or whatever.

Regardless, I chose Historical, Detective and Mystery as being the genres I read and/or re-read in most often.

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 8 2011, 3:45am

Post #15 of 24 (330 views)
Shortcut
19th-century English lit [In reply to] Can't Post

Austen, the Brontes, Dickens, Eliot, Gaskell, Trollope, Thackeray . . .

I also like more modern authors who set their story in the 19th century, whether it be Regency romances a la Heyer, or steampunk Victoriana.

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 8 2011, 4:12am

Post #16 of 24 (336 views)
Shortcut
Fantasy and westerns. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or Tolkien and L'Amour.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2011, 4:20am

Post #17 of 24 (318 views)
Shortcut
Fantasy and Sci-fi... [In reply to] Can't Post

hands down, my favourite types!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2011, 6:56am

Post #18 of 24 (368 views)
Shortcut
I like stories laced with humor [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to prefer literary fiction, stories that are slice-of-life, or maybe even stories dealing with serious topics, but incorporate humor. Books by Roddy Doyle, Sally Vickers, Nick Hornby, and Anne Tyler are good examples.

I also love Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. Though the stories are written in the guise of science fiction and fantasy, they are more about satire than genre.

I love science fiction and fantasy when I can find writers I like, but I'm really picky about writing style. Even if I like the story idea, if the writing doesn't suit me, I can't read it.

But, usually my go-to is 19th and early 20th century literature, especially British and Russian. Those people could writeLaugh
And again, part of what I like about this writing is the gentle use of humor, even in otherwise serious books.

Life is too short to be overly serious all the time. Plus "dramady," comedy mixed with drama, is a truer reflection of life.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Dec 11 2011, 7:02am)

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 15 2011, 5:42pm

Post #19 of 24 (281 views)
Shortcut
Other... [In reply to] Can't Post

TV Tie-ins... I like stories that expand on already existing TV show storylines, such as Doctor Who, Torchwood, Being Human, and of course, fanfiction... although I do sometimes dip into "regular" literature (Tolkien notwithstanding), if the stories seem interesting enough, such as To Kill a Mockingbird, Mordant's Need, Jane Eyre... and I also have a soft spot for Erma Bombeck's humorous books and the Sharpe series, and as a guilty pleasure, I pull out an old copy of a Harlequin romance novel. Blush

tennie75
Lorien

Dec 17 2011, 3:34am

Post #20 of 24 (285 views)
Shortcut
wow, I'm in the top 3! [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted Fantasy, Mystery, Science Fiction. One-two-three. (at the time of my vote, anyway)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 9:47pm

Post #21 of 24 (275 views)
Shortcut
yup... [In reply to] Can't Post

Part of my reason for having a pared-down taste is I read terribly slowly - most of my friends can knock out a novel in an evening or two and it takes me 2 weeks or more. But my retention is far above most others so at least I have the solace in that while I may never be so well-read as my friends, I can debate with the best of them on what I have read!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Dec 23 2011, 9:55pm

Post #22 of 24 (241 views)
Shortcut
Aunt Erma!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, diedye! I MISS Aunt Erma! Unsure

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 23 2011, 10:06pm

Post #23 of 24 (253 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Space Opera. Anything with a rocket ship in it. (As opposed to Space Horror, where they use the exact same script every dang time, just with a different slime-covered rubber monster.)

2. Historical Fiction. Usually in the 20s and 30s, especially set in Weimar Germany or America during the Depression.

3. Mystery/Detective. Agatha Christie, Earl Biggers, John Marquand, Ellery Queen, Erle Stanley Gardner. Especially Old Dark House/Drawing Room mysteries.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2011, 1:08pm

Post #24 of 24 (288 views)
Shortcut
I've read some of their essays, but do they write fiction? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.