Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Handshaking etiquette between men and women

Poll: Handshaking etiquette between men and women
Lady extends hand first
It doesn't matter who goes first
Lady palm down, man palm up
Palms perpendicular to ground for both
Wipe hand on jacket first
We don't shake hands where I am from
Give me some skin!
Only at first meeting
Every time you meet
Other
View Results (78 votes)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 1 2011, 3:00am

Views: 667
Shortcut
Handshaking etiquette between men and women Can't Post

Wizard farts and my usual antics notwithstanding I often wonder about etiquette. A question that has been plaguing me is regarding the custom of shaking hands among men and women:

How do you do (it)? There's what I was taught to do and then there's what usually happens, which may inadvertently leave a bad impression. TORn being a femine board makes it the ideal place to ask. Multiple answers allowed.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Dec 1 2011, 3:03am)

Subject User Time
Handshaking etiquette between men and women SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Dec 1 2011, 3:00am
    Only at first meeting, doesn't matter who goes first, Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Dec 1 2011, 3:25am
    Other... Donry Send a private message to Donry Dec 1 2011, 3:39am
        *Years* ago Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Dec 1 2011, 3:57am
            That's funny.... Donry Send a private message to Donry Dec 1 2011, 4:04am
                Or in Airplane... Laerasėa Send a private message to Laerasėa Dec 1 2011, 4:33am
                    I had forgotten Donry Send a private message to Donry Dec 1 2011, 4:45am
    Hmm... taekotemple Send a private message to taekotemple Dec 1 2011, 4:26am
        I wonder, when at moots SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Dec 5 2011, 2:48pm
            lol Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Dec 5 2011, 3:07pm
    There was a sociology thing at my school Laerasėa Send a private message to Laerasėa Dec 1 2011, 4:30am
        Hmm, interesting study. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Dec 1 2011, 4:38am
    I was taught... Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Dec 1 2011, 4:48am
        Thank you Elizabeth SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Dec 1 2011, 6:24pm
    The palm up/down thing sounds more like square dance ettiquette Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Dec 1 2011, 4:59am
    I always go for the kiss on the cheek Spencissimus Send a private message to Spencissimus Dec 1 2011, 5:00am
    I found handshaking painful until I learned this trick. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Dec 1 2011, 5:04am
        I have arthritis Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Dec 1 2011, 6:27pm
    Nice question Nienna Send a private message to Nienna Dec 1 2011, 6:19am
    I miss old etiquettes Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Dec 1 2011, 2:04pm
        actually we do have the "intimate" pronoun Annael Send a private message to Annael Dec 1 2011, 3:54pm
            Yes, but ironically... Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Dec 2 2011, 2:04am
    In South Texas, where I'm from, mostly it's just the men who shake hands. Alassėa Eruvande Send a private message to Alassėa Eruvande Dec 1 2011, 2:30pm
        But from a little further south ... ElanorTX Send a private message to ElanorTX Dec 4 2011, 12:02am
            Actually, I'm from *south* of San Antonio! Alassėa Eruvande Send a private message to Alassėa Eruvande Dec 4 2011, 2:08am
    The majority of times that I shake hands Hengist Send a private message to Hengist Dec 1 2011, 2:34pm
        If only to show you do not have a shield ;) // SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Dec 1 2011, 5:59pm
            Heh! its a fencing custom Hengist Send a private message to Hengist Dec 1 2011, 10:17pm
                As a fellow fencer and Brit Nightingale Send a private message to Nightingale Dec 2 2011, 7:20pm
        I appreciate that! :D / Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Dec 1 2011, 6:27pm
    I shake hands with people I meet for business Annael Send a private message to Annael Dec 1 2011, 3:51pm
    A shallow bow... Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Dec 1 2011, 4:06pm
        Kindred souls SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Dec 1 2011, 6:15pm
            Thanks! Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Dec 1 2011, 7:35pm
                May I say that I am also encouraged Nightingale Send a private message to Nightingale Dec 2 2011, 7:26pm
                now I'm wondering Annael Send a private message to Annael Dec 3 2011, 10:50pm
                    Depends upon how they were raised... GAndyalf Send a private message to GAndyalf Dec 4 2011, 12:37am
                    A fleeting sense of enchantment SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Dec 4 2011, 2:58am
    I wait for the other person to offer. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Dec 1 2011, 4:36pm
        With you on that point, bleah. =) // SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Dec 1 2011, 6:27pm
    The most important thing at first is eye contact for me. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Dec 1 2011, 7:20pm
        Good advice! SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Dec 2 2011, 1:20am
            A smile most definitely. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Dec 2 2011, 1:35am
    Lady extends first... GAndyalf Send a private message to GAndyalf Dec 3 2011, 4:08am
    It doesn't matter who goes first and only at first meeting Marillė by the Sea Send a private message to Marillė by the Sea Dec 3 2011, 8:22am
    Thank you everyone! It would appear SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Dec 5 2011, 2:35pm
    I hate handshaking tolkiennerd Send a private message to tolkiennerd Dec 5 2011, 6:49pm
        Well part of the reason is something Hengist spoke about... SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Dec 5 2011, 7:16pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.