Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Handshaking etiquette between men and women
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Handshaking etiquette between men and women
Lady extends hand first
It doesn't matter who goes first
Lady palm down, man palm up
Palms perpendicular to ground for both
Wipe hand on jacket first
We don't shake hands where I am from
Give me some skin!
Only at first meeting
Every time you meet
Other
View Results (78 votes)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 1 2011, 3:00am

Post #1 of 48 (734 views)
Shortcut
Handshaking etiquette between men and women Can't Post

Wizard farts and my usual antics notwithstanding I often wonder about etiquette. A question that has been plaguing me is regarding the custom of shaking hands among men and women:

How do you do (it)? There's what I was taught to do and then there's what usually happens, which may inadvertently leave a bad impression. TORn being a femine board makes it the ideal place to ask. Multiple answers allowed.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Dec 1 2011, 3:03am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 1 2011, 3:25am

Post #2 of 48 (468 views)
Shortcut
Only at first meeting, doesn't matter who goes first, [In reply to] Can't Post

and in a vaguely work-related setting - I don't, for instance, shake the hand of someone I first meet at a neighbourhood BBQ, where a "G'day, I'm Ataahua" will suffice.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 1 2011, 3:26am)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2011, 3:39am

Post #3 of 48 (425 views)
Shortcut
Other... [In reply to] Can't Post

because I have no idea....and I don't know that any of those options are what I would stick to? I'm a slob, so I would never remember and would screw it up somehow thinking too much about it.....high five works for me....(insert vision of David Puddy from Seinfeld here, 'High five').

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 1 2011, 3:57am

Post #4 of 48 (399 views)
Shortcut
*Years* ago [In reply to] Can't Post

I was bridesmaid at my sister's wedding in the US and she surprised us with a stretch limo to take us to the church. The other bridesmaid (my sister's soon-to-be sister-in-law) celebrated by turning to me with a high-five - and I had no idea what she was doing. "Why are you standing there with your hand up?"

Clearly I hadn't taken enough notice of US TV shows to apply them to real life!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2011, 4:04am

Post #5 of 48 (408 views)
Shortcut
That's funny.... [In reply to] Can't Post

amazing how small the world is now with the internet and all.....there is a scene in Adam Sandler's Waterboy, where the main character is not familiar with the term 'high-five', but wants to partake in the celebration, so he keeps asking his fellow players to 'slap-hands'.....

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Dec 1 2011, 4:26am

Post #6 of 48 (386 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see... I put "it doesn't matter who offers a hand first", "both with palms perpendicular to the ground", "on first meeting" and other.

Usually, on first meeting someone, I stick with a handshake or the Japanese bow (especially if it's a more formal situation.) You can't really tell if a person is a handshake person or a hug person or a kiss on the cheek person or whatever on first meeting. On second meetings, and it's a less formal situation, I hug, unless I know that person is not a hugger (I am though Smile).

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2011, 4:30am

Post #7 of 48 (430 views)
Shortcut
There was a sociology thing at my school [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people did this "test" where they measured how strong people's handshakes were (you didn't know what it was about until after the handshake). It was kind of interesting, except after I found out what was happening, I informed them that I always try and match the other person's strength. (I don't like shaking people's hands when they have a weak shake and I feel like I could break their hand, so I usually try to avoid that) :P

I like shaking hands. It sort of establishes a connection.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2011, 4:33am

Post #8 of 48 (425 views)
Shortcut
Or in Airplane... [In reply to] Can't Post

that scene where Ted and Elaine go to that tribe for their Peace Corps assignment, and Ted gives the chieftain a high five, which doesn't turn out well....Crazy

Laugh

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2011, 4:38am

Post #9 of 48 (420 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, interesting study. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you: I try to match the other person. Normally I have a pretty firm handshake, but I hate feeling that I've just crushed the other person or ground their bones together so I've learned to go gently until I can gauge what I'm up against.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2011, 4:45am

Post #10 of 48 (355 views)
Shortcut
I had forgotten [In reply to] Can't Post

that scene, truly a hilarious part of a hilarious movie.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Dec 1 2011, 4:48am

Post #11 of 48 (444 views)
Shortcut
I was taught... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the woman extends her hand first, and if she doesn't, that's a signal that no handshake should occur. That was a long time ago, though, so I doubt that rule is still observed much.

I don't remember any teaching about the palm orientation, but think both perpendicular to the ground is more practical.

To me, basic politeness is to respond appropriately to any gesture at first meeting, so if someone sticks out a hand I'll shake it, and if someone offers a hug that's ok, too (as long as it's not overdone). In Hawaii, kissing is normal, especially if it's someone you've met before (even if you don't know him/her well). I find that a little hard to get used to, but I do it.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 1 2011, 4:59am

Post #12 of 48 (416 views)
Shortcut
The palm up/down thing sounds more like square dance ettiquette [In reply to] Can't Post

When square dancing, men hold their hands palm up and women hold their hands palm down. But in international folk dancing, if the circle is traveling to the right, which is the usual direction, everyone holds the right hand palm up and the left hand palm down. This avoids twisting arms.

Spencissimus
Lorien

Dec 1 2011, 5:00am

Post #13 of 48 (389 views)
Shortcut
I always go for the kiss on the cheek [In reply to] Can't Post

The only time I shake hands with a woman is on the first meeting...from then on it's usually a brief peck.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 1 2011, 5:04am

Post #14 of 48 (447 views)
Shortcut
I found handshaking painful until I learned this trick. [In reply to] Can't Post

I get tendonitis in my hands, and have been reduced to tears by a hearty handshake. I finally learned this counter-intuitive trick: Press the web between your thumb and forefinger forcefully into the same part of the other person's hand. Somehow that helps prevent the pain. I'm not sure how it works, but it does seem to help some.

Nienna
Rohan

Dec 1 2011, 6:19am

Post #15 of 48 (413 views)
Shortcut
Nice question [In reply to] Can't Post

I like a firm handshake when I meet a person.

I strongly dislike limp handshakes from women where you're given two fingers (and it's even worse when you get such a handshake from a man). But I also dislike a man who grips your hand in a Superman fashion - leaving you nursing a sore hand.

So long as it's relatively firm and associated with a friendly smile I couldn't care about anything else. And even the limp or superman handshake I can forgive so long as there's that smile.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2011, 2:04pm

Post #16 of 48 (415 views)
Shortcut
I miss old etiquettes [In reply to] Can't Post

We have lost any specific handshaking etiquette, if we've ever had such...

Which isn't entirely just a good thing. In social situations with strangers and half-strangers I often end up missing precise etiquette known to all. It can be very awkward and embarassing when you don't know how to act. If there was some common rule, you could just keep to that when you wouldn't know better.

This is especially relevant with the formal (respective) and informal (familiar) second-person pronouns, which English thankfully doesn't have.

It can be incredibly hard to decide wether I should speak to some people in formal or infomal manner. If the person is older than me, then I perhaps should speak to him/her in the formal way, but the person could interprent it as me thinking he's an old geezer and get insulted. If I speak in informal manner, it may sound rude.

If the person is my patient (I'm an oral hygienist) I'm equally at loss, because on the other hand it would be polite to use formal speech for your patient/customer/etc, but if the patient isn't accustomed to being spoken to in such manner he might feel it's awkward or even condescending. If the patient is approximately my age I might choose to use informal speech, but if the person believes he deserves formal speaking from me in such situation, he might once again get insulted for being treated ill just because he's young. And so on. Crazy

So it leads into painful moments where I jump between using formal and informal pronouns, making me sound like a complete idiot - which, granted, is how I feel like.

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Dec 1 2011, 2:10pm)

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 1 2011, 2:30pm

Post #17 of 48 (343 views)
Shortcut
In South Texas, where I'm from, mostly it's just the men who shake hands. [In reply to] Can't Post

The custom is for the men to shake hands at every meeting, (and also when they say good bye to each other) and tip or touch their hats to ladies. Sometimes it's a nod to ladies. Older gentlemen and those younger ones brought up properly remove their hats in a lady's presence, as well as while they're indoors.
A lot of times I'll offer my hand to a man, and you can tell, for a split second, he doesn't know what to do. Smile But he'll shake my hand every time.

My brothers shake hands with each other every time they see each other, and they both shake hands with my husband each time. The boy kids get hand shakes and the girl kids get hugs.

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2011, 2:34pm

Post #18 of 48 (396 views)
Shortcut
The majority of times that I shake hands [In reply to] Can't Post

I do it with the non-sword hand. Unimpressed

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 1 2011, 3:51pm

Post #19 of 48 (375 views)
Shortcut
I shake hands with people I meet for business [In reply to] Can't Post

as the masculine paradigms still pretty much rule there. I will also shake hands if the other person puts their hand out - pretty much only men do that, and I notice that some of them do go for the crushing grip, but I prefer that to the totally limp hand (also, my hands are tiny, and I always think the crushers must feel a little bit silly when they realize that).

In other situations I look 'em in the eye, smile, and say "nice to meet you, _______" - because if I don't repeat their name I'll forget it instantly, and I think it's a nice acknowledgment anyway. Most people seem to think this is sufficient.

I'm usually not a hugger-on-first-meeting person, but I have met quite a few who are. I don't know if this is still just a West Coast thing.

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 1 2011, 3:54pm

Post #20 of 48 (412 views)
Shortcut
actually we do have the "intimate" pronoun [In reply to] Can't Post

but only the Amish and some Quakers still use "thee" and "thou" - unless you're going for the Shakespeare vibe.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 1 2011, 4:06pm

Post #21 of 48 (408 views)
Shortcut
A shallow bow... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as I lightly take her hand. Then if she indicates she wishes to go for a full handshake I can accomodate her.

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 1 2011, 4:36pm

Post #22 of 48 (383 views)
Shortcut
I wait for the other person to offer. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or not.

Partly out of natural shyness.

And partly because I've seen too many people not washing their hands after using the bathroom, so the fewer hands I have to touch, the better. Tongue

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 1 2011, 5:59pm

Post #23 of 48 (301 views)
Shortcut
If only to show you do not have a shield ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 1 2011, 6:15pm

Post #24 of 48 (388 views)
Shortcut
Kindred souls [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed, as if by instinct, that I bow or nod, or sometimes lift my hand to my forehead (not making the L sign of course) to tip a hat that is hardly ever there. Very few bows are returned though so I figured it was just a quirk of mine.

When wearing a hat, I usually take it off when speaking with a lady, especially an older lady. The custom is so disused in these parts that you can literally see in older women their countenance melt as if transported back in time. (Same goes for sunglasses if it is more than a casual greeting, regardless of gender.)

What inspired this thread is I usually go for a light squeeze with women, though I find they often go for the man shake. Very few women these days offer their hand as if to have it kissed, that is, palm down. I understand that times have changed and would prefer to err on the side of caution, especially at first encounters.

It is not a simple matter when one considers that bows and curtsies are still practiced, for the most part, in accordance with one's apparent gender.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 1 2011, 6:24pm

Post #25 of 48 (352 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

This cuts to the heart of the matter I think:

I was taught that the woman extends her hand first, and if she doesn't, that's a signal that no handshake should occur. That was a long time ago, though, so I doubt that rule is still observed much.

It's tricky because at first encounters, by definition, you do not know where the other person is on the whole sliding scale of cultural norms. It is even trickier in cultures where people do not shake hands, or only shake hands on certain occasions and with certain people.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.