Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Amazon releases a list of top ten film series. Lord of the rings second

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 30 2011, 12:36pm

Post #1 of 17 (755 views)
Shortcut
Amazon releases a list of top ten film series. Lord of the rings second Can't Post

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/...re-order-record.html

1. Harry Potter
2. The Lord of the Rings
3. Twilight
4. Star Wars
5. Pirates of the Caribbean
6. Toy Story
7. Shrek
8. Batman
9. Jason Bourne
10. James Bond

Twitter: @IrfonPennant

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2011, 2:14pm

Post #2 of 17 (400 views)
Shortcut
I'm pleasantly surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

to see LotR topping Twilight, especially considering how much older LotR is. But then again, LotR has wider appeal.

Or is the list based on how many tickets these franchises have sold in theaters? Instead of how much they've sold in Amazon?

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2011, 2:49pm

Post #3 of 17 (378 views)
Shortcut
Based upon [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Or is the list based on how many tickets these franchises have sold in theaters? Instead of how much they've sold in Amazon?

The list is only based upon pre-ordered DVDs and blu-rays from Amazon.

There is lack of representation in this list though. There are 5 more HP films than LOTR, so pre-orders for the entire franchise will dwarf LOTR (by 79% as the article suggests). Bit obvious really?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 30 2011, 2:50pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 30 2011, 3:03pm

Post #4 of 17 (327 views)
Shortcut
There's also more Bond films that Harry Potter [In reply to] Can't Post

but that may be because that most of the films are out after amazon was created

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2011, 3:11pm

Post #5 of 17 (390 views)
Shortcut
Yes, representation again [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazon went live 1995ish, and as far as I am aware, the majority of James Bond films were before 1995. Plus, and sorry to any James Bond fans out there, I can't really imagine many people pre-order the films that came out on DVD after 1995. Can't imagine it has a massive fanbase?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 30 2011, 3:12pm)

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2011, 5:32pm

Post #6 of 17 (328 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

It might make more sense to do something like average order number of DVDs/Blu-rays in the series, or maybe something about the gross profit (even including videos, especially if they are including older series). As it is, there isn't that much competition with this list.

‎"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."
--George R.R. Martin

Mozart and Chocolate
The College Student's List
Tolkien and Taters
Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 30 2011, 5:44pm

Post #7 of 17 (366 views)
Shortcut
Aye if we use averages for film gross LOTR comes up top [In reply to] Can't Post

not sure if the same can be said about DVDs.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2011, 10:29pm

Post #8 of 17 (371 views)
Shortcut
James Bond doesn't have massive fanbase? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of the oldest, best know and (pop)culturally most iconic movie franchises out there. Its fanbase just doesn't consist of same kind of young fans like HP and Twilight, so it might appear smaller, as the fandom isn't as vocal on the net.

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2011, 3:52am

Post #9 of 17 (338 views)
Shortcut
Interesting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

that Star Wars (with six movies) is so low. Knowing that the original three were well before Amazon, I guess that means that re-re-re-re-re-re-release of the original three did not garner a lot of pre-ordering.
And as far as Bond goes, of the younger crowd I know (mostly kids and some teens), it is a 'nothing' franchise. I'm just shy of 40, and among my peers Bond is still a really, really significant movie franchise. I wonder what the age demographics are on Bond these days. There are a couple good Bond fansites out there, but nothing as big it seems as the franchises with some serious youth behind them. And I would think to that a large portion of the Bond fanbase is not to internet savvy....my parents for example, both 65, watched a lot of Connery as Bond, but neither are pre-ordering anything on the internet, let alone spending much time on the internet. And they don't collect movies at all, just wasn't something they were into. So I know I'm generalizing a bit, but I think that older Bond fanbase would not help the numbers in a list like this at all.

I wonder a bit about the Batman franchise as well, the first two Michael Keaton 'Batman' movies did huge numbers at the theatres if I remember, but would probably not have been pre-ordered in large numbers based on when they were released.....I'm guessing the Batman numbers would be very strong for the Bale 'Batman' movies...interesting list though...

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 1 2011, 9:48am

Post #10 of 17 (280 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why I apologised in my post. I've never watched a James Bond movie and don't know anybody that particularly loves it; so I wasn't sure how loved the franchise is Smile

As yourself and Donry point out, the demographics of the James Bond fanbase are nothing like Twilight and HP, therefore (probably) explaining why it is lower on the list.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 1 2011, 9:54am

Post #11 of 17 (356 views)
Shortcut
That's another interesting point! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I guess that means that re-re-re-re-re-re-release of the original three did not garner a lot of pre-ordering.

This point is interesting and one that I hadn't thought of. I would imagine that the list was compiled based upon the first DVD release of each film within the franchise, otherwise I would have thought Star Wars would have been a lot higher. Otherwise, it would have to include all extended editions, director's cuts, re-releases, special editions, boxsets and so on .... If all of these were included then I can't imagine that there would be a massive gap between HP and the rest of the films

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 1 2011, 9:55am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 1 2011, 9:20pm

Post #12 of 17 (330 views)
Shortcut
Related to this is the rise of Internet use and [In reply to] Can't Post

comfort levels with ordering things online.

Star Wars aside, Internet use and ordering things online at the time of LOTR's release were nowhere near as common as they are now. Therefore, unless there is a way to adjust the scores (similar to adjusting for inflation) to account for such things, the list is entirely meaningless.

Actually the idea of purchasing DVD's kind of exploded around the release of LOTR. So there is that to consider as well. Not to mention people were still mostly buying movies on VHS at the time of LOTR's release.

Still, it is fun giving HP fans false hope. WinkTongueAngelic

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Dec 1 2011, 9:22pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 1 2011, 9:54pm

Post #13 of 17 (384 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes...VHS as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Still, it is fun giving HP fans false hope

We'll need to start compiling a list of reasons why this list is void and send it off to Amazon Wink

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 1 2011, 9:54pm)

Patty
Immortal

Dec 2 2011, 2:08pm

Post #14 of 17 (284 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, there are too many variables here. I, for one... [In reply to] Can't Post

would not pre-order something I wanted badly if I can go out to Best Buy and get it the same day. Amazon charges extra for day of release delivery.

Permanent address: Into the West

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 2 2011, 6:20pm

Post #15 of 17 (240 views)
Shortcut
Sooo [In reply to] Can't Post

essentially what the list tells us is that HP fans are not savvy shoppers?

Evil

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 2 2011, 6:26pm

Post #16 of 17 (284 views)
Shortcut
HP DH2 [In reply to] Can't Post

What I found was that different retailers had different versions of HP DH2 DVDs (and perhaps Blu-ray but I don't shop for Blu-ray).

Walmart - and only Walmart - had a version of the DVD that had all the extras found on the Blu-ray release. I heard that Best Buy also had a special, exclusive version but I don't know what it was. I wanted the extras and went with Walmart.

I'm not a huge fan of Walmart but even under $25 it was free shipping so you can't beat that. I also got a great deal with them years back on the LOTR Limited Edition DVDs.

So, I would order online even if I could buy it local, sometimes. And maybe some of us were savvier than it would appear. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 9 2011, 4:48pm

Post #17 of 17 (469 views)
Shortcut
This is from Amazon.UK [In reply to] Can't Post

So I wonder if it is world-wide sales.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.