Chip the Glasses in after all?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 1 2011, 4:21pm

Post #76 of 84 (3675 views)
Shortcut
Just a point. [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn wasn't meant to sound like a good singer. She was mourning a beloved cousin and chanting a funeral dirge over his grave.

But I have no quibble with you not liking it. I didn't like Aragorn's "song" in the marsh. I would have preferred words you could understand along with an actual melody instead of that tuneless mumbling.

To each our own, right? Cool

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 1 2011, 4:22pm

Post #77 of 84 (3685 views)
Shortcut
LOTR didn't have enough songs, IMO. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if they'd recited more poetry, without necessarily singing anything, it would have helped.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 1 2011, 4:25pm

Post #78 of 84 (3705 views)
Shortcut
I have to chuckle a little bit about this thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I think of all the people who lament that Tom Bombadil was left out of LOTR.

What is that whole section but a cheesy, music hall interlude? Cool

Muireadhaigh
Rivendell

Dec 1 2011, 5:06pm

Post #79 of 84 (3691 views)
Shortcut
Right you are [In reply to] Can't Post

though I should have worded better, my comment on her singing voice. It isn't that she doesn't have a good voice. I like many singers who don't have a traditional voice. I'm having a hard time putting my feelings about the scene into words. It was her performance, the editing, the way the scene was fimed. To me, the film stumbles through this scene. But perhaps that was what PJ and company wanted. It's a funeral after all. But here's how I would have it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUgEYl4V_AE

Of all the money e'er I had,
I spent it in good company.
And all the harm I've ever done,
Alas! it was to none but me.
And all I've done for want of wit
To mem'ry now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all.

Oh, all the comrades e'er I had,
They're sorry for my going away,
And all the sweethearts e'er I had,
They'd wish me one more day to stay,
But since it falls unto my lot,
That I should rise and you should not,
I gently rise and softly call,
Good night and joy be with you all.

EyeRock
Bree

Dec 1 2011, 7:53pm

Post #80 of 84 (3699 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget "Rock and Pool, nice and cool..." ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

squire
Half-elven

Dec 1 2011, 8:10pm

Post #81 of 84 (3691 views)
Shortcut
Cheesy music-hall scenes from the Tom Bombadil chapters [In reply to] Can't Post

Strange furtive noises ran among the bushes and reeds on either side of them; and if they looked up to the pale sky, they caught sight of queer gnarled and knobbly faces that gloomed dark against the twilight, and leered down at them from the high bank and the edges of the wood. They began to feel that all this country was unreal, and that they were stumbling through an ominous dream that led to no awakening.

Its walls were of clean stone, but they were mostly covered with green hanging mats and yellow curtains. The floor was flagged, and strewn with fresh green rushes. There were four deep mattresses, each piled with white blankets, laid on the floor along one side. Against the opposite wall was a long bench laden with wide earthenware basins, and beside it stood brown ewers filled with water, some cold, some steaming hot. There were soft green slippers set ready beside each bed.

Moving constantly in and out of his talk was Old Man Willow, and Frodo learned now enough to content him, indeed more than enough, for it was not comfortable lore. Tom’s words laid bare the hearts of trees and their thoughts, which were often dark and strange, and filled with a hatred of things that go free upon the earth, gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning: destroyers and usurpers.

The hobbits sat still before him, enchanted; and it seemed as if, under the spell of his words, the wind had gone, and the clouds had dried up, and the day had been withdrawn, and darkness had come from East and West, and all the sky was filled with the light of white stars.

'Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless? But you are young and I am old. Eldest, that’s what I am. Mark my words, my friends: Tom was here before the river and the trees; Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn. He made paths before the Big People, and saw the little People arriving. He was here before the Kings and the graves and the Barrow-wights. When the Elves passed westward, Tom was here already, before the seas were bent. He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside.’

After they had eaten, Goldberry sang many songs for them, songs that began merrily in the hills and fell softly down into silence; and in the silences they saw in their minds pools and waters wider than any they had known, and looking into them they saw the sky below them and the stars like jewels in the depths. Then once more she wished them each good night and left them by the fireside.

...at that moment a clear call came rippling down. There on the hill-brow she stood beckoning to them: her hair was flying loose, and as it caught the sun it shone and shimmered. A light like the glint of water on dewy grass flashed from under her feet as she danced.

Even as they looked out in dismay towards the setting sun, it sank before their eyes into a white sea, and a cold grey shadow sprang up in the East behind. The fog rolled up to the walls and rose above them, and as it mounted it bent over their heads until it became a roof: they were shut in a hall of mist whose central pillar was the standing stone.

Out of the formless stream of sad but horrible sounds, strings of words would now and again shape themselves: grim, hard, cold words, heartless and miserable. The night was railing against the morning of which it was bereaved, and the cold was cursing the warmth for which it hungered. Frodo was chilled to the marrow.

The hardest part about making a movie of a Tolkien book is that the writing and camerawork ought to be truly magical. I sometimes think the New Line films left the Tom Bombadil sections out not because they were too corny (they're not), nor because they would take up too much time (a judgment call), nor because they don't move the story along (first define the story of LotR), but because those sections came out of Tolkien's literary soul and were just too hard to write and film.

There is similar writing, from the same soul, in many parts of The Hobbit. I wonder if these upcoming films will try to capture those parts of the book?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Dec 3 2011, 5:58pm

Post #82 of 84 (3587 views)
Shortcut
same here [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a fun song and a great moment of playful dwarf teasing at Bilbo's expense.

I hope it stays in.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2011, 9:10pm

Post #83 of 84 (3646 views)
Shortcut
probably some type [In reply to] Can't Post

of drunken dwarven song but I dont think we will get the song from the book. I know the actor who sings the song in Bilbo's home (James Nesbitt) was singing something about an inn but nothing about dinner ware in the video blog which was done while they were shooting the scene. I don't mind a drinking or drunken song which there were some in LOTR but in comparison there are WAY TOO MANY songs in the Hobbit as Compared to the LOTR. and I don't mind a character singing a song under his breath (gandalf singing the road goes ever on and on in FOTR) or drunken singing Merry and Pippin dancing on the table)but don'tmake it the focus of the scene. I think alot of the songs or poems will be changed to dialogue and not sung in the films

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Dec 4 2011, 12:14am

Post #84 of 84 (4357 views)
Shortcut
who knows [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the mirth and playfulness of the songs in The Hobbit.

I'd love to see James Nesbitt's Bofur sing quite a bit. I have no problems with drunken or legit crooning from the cast.
All that said, I can clearly imagine the second Hobbit film taking a much darker route so much less singing.

The type of singing I really do not want to hear is that new agey Celtic female choir LoTR stuff for the Hobbit score. That's a small reason why I've never owned the LoTR films on any format: Can't stand it. I understand the placement but it's not my thing.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.