Chip the Glasses in after all?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Wandering Ranger
Rivendell

Nov 29 2011, 7:39am

Post #1 of 84 (9132 views)
Shortcut
Chip the Glasses in after all? Can't Post

Just re watching video blog 3 and around 8.31 there's a shot of plates being thrown around Bilbo's dinner table. I have always thought that Chip the Glasses would be one of the songs to get cut, simply for time and pacing reasons and the fact that scene has so much to accomplish anyway. But it sure looks like that song is in to me. Any thoughts?

So Frodo Baggins boarded the great ship and passed on into the west till the sweet fragrance on the air filled his sense and the sound of singing came over the water. Then it seemed to him that, as in a dream, he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country. The third age of Middle Earth was over, the days of the Rings had passed and the story and song of those times was at an end.

Macfeast
Rohan

Nov 29 2011, 7:51am

Post #2 of 84 (7577 views)
Shortcut
My reaction was the opposite... [In reply to] Can't Post

Namely that as careless as they seemed to be with the plates, it would be out of place for them to sing it; The song is, after all, about what they shouldn't do to Bilbo's plates, and they actually take care not to ruin anything while singing it.

squire
Half-elven

Nov 29 2011, 11:45am

Post #3 of 84 (7476 views)
Shortcut
I hope so. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one of my favorite Hobbit songs. Kids love it - I loved it when I was young, and my kids loved it when I read it to them. In the movie it will lighten the mood with some real clowning, and be funny - yet send the underlying message about the contempt the dwarves have for Bilbo at this point! I admit that with all the doom and gloom vibes I've been getting lately I'd given up hope that The Hobbit will be as funny as Tolkien meant it to be, but you encourage me.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2011, 1:19pm

Post #4 of 84 (7369 views)
Shortcut
I hope not. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want them to turn this into a Walt Disney movie.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 29 2011, 1:32pm

Post #5 of 84 (7408 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, it would be hypocritical of them [In reply to] Can't Post

to sing "That's what Bilbo Baggins hates, so carefully, carefully with the plates" while smashing them and making a mess... but perhaps they could turn it into sarcasm or something.

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Nov 29 2011, 2:22pm

Post #6 of 84 (7397 views)
Shortcut
How about [In reply to] Can't Post

They sing the song, and are careful with the plates, as in the book?

Not likely, though, as it looks like they are deliberately smashing things in that shot on the vlog. My question is: where is Gandalf while they proceed to ruin everything? Will it not hurt his character a tad to show that he has absolutely no control over the dwarves - to the point that they deliberately destroy their hosts' cookware?

I really want humor in these films, but I hope it is not the kind that diminishes the characters.

triptrap
Lorien

Nov 29 2011, 2:28pm

Post #7 of 84 (7421 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf, the alcoholic [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe gandalf is just drinking alongside with them, at least i think it isn't mentioned in the book that he does react in any way to the chaos that so many dwraves cause.
i think to show gandalf drinking and having fun doesn't hurt his character, he was even dancing on bilbo's party in the fellowship i think.
to see that the wizard can drink and have fun with the other peoples will make him even more sympathic.
while it is not yet said that they'e destroying bilbo's things...

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2011, 2:29pm

Post #8 of 84 (7375 views)
Shortcut
They look really drunk in the vlog [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe Gandalf is in another room?

Though I hope it's one of the above, because the dwarves breaking stuff for no reason would make them look really bad.

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 29 2011, 2:30pm)

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Nov 29 2011, 2:36pm

Post #9 of 84 (7383 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf doesn't stop the chaos [In reply to] Can't Post

But in the books, the chaos does not involve smashing things up. There's a difference.

And how, exactly, are plates that are hurled across the room not expected to break? Seems like a reasonable supposition...

triptrap
Lorien

Nov 29 2011, 2:37pm

Post #10 of 84 (7424 views)
Shortcut
They shouldn't be rampaging, but [In reply to] Can't Post

but, i love to see them drunk. and being drunk it's natural that they go a little crazy, but i think it's dependant on their character how crazy they actually go. for example balin or nori will have their selves under control while dwalin or bifur you know...

triptrap
Lorien

Nov 29 2011, 2:42pm

Post #11 of 84 (7344 views)
Shortcut
but i agree [In reply to] Can't Post

but i have to say you're right, it wouldn't seem fitting if they destroy everything but gandalf doesn't help bilbo

triptrap
Lorien

Nov 29 2011, 2:56pm

Post #12 of 84 (7328 views)
Shortcut
next thought^^ [In reply to] Can't Post

right now i could figure it out this way:
since we only see some of the dwarves in the scene, some(including gandalf) are helping bilbo do the dishes or search their beds or are outside smoking or whatever, and those inside are messing around.
and on the next moning bilbo will have troubles cleaning in all up so he won't be able to read the message that they've already gone towards the green dragon...

Thorgal
Bree

Nov 29 2011, 3:55pm

Post #13 of 84 (7295 views)
Shortcut
Maia [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf isn't a drinker, and if he was he wouldn't be affected by the alcohol. He is a lesser god for goodness sake. I think it would be more fitting for him to sit and smoke his pipe while the dwarves is on a rampage.

irodino
Bree

Nov 29 2011, 3:58pm

Post #14 of 84 (7299 views)
Shortcut
CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember seeing the mentioned vlog scene and I don't realy want to spoil myself too much, but couldn't it be that the plates will be replaced by CGI versions before getting smashed, so that it looks as if they pull off all the throwing and catching in the finished movie, but in reality most of the plates are getting broken?

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that terrible in-between."

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Nov 29 2011, 4:15pm

Post #15 of 84 (7311 views)
Shortcut
Staged [In reply to] Can't Post

Has anyone considered that Peter Jackson, aware of this question about what they'll put in the movie, actually staged this little bit specifically for the video as a joke? Or at least the cameras caught the actors playing their parts from the book for some spontaneous set levity? It's possible. Evil

triptrap
Lorien

Nov 29 2011, 5:38pm

Post #16 of 84 (7224 views)
Shortcut
So? [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if the alcohol wouldn't affect him, gandalf could like beer and wine for its taste and have fun and enjoy the whole scenery without getting drunk
Smile

Junesong
Rohan

Nov 29 2011, 6:06pm

Post #17 of 84 (7329 views)
Shortcut
My theory is that it will be just like the book [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that in the video blog we saw the dwarves throwing the plates - but if you look closely they are actually throwing them past the camera. To us watching the Vlog it looks like the Dwarves are destroying Bilbo's plates as there are plates all over the ground etc.

But I think that this shot, edited into the flim, could be the Dwarves throwing the plates to each other, catching them, washing them and putting them away - just like the book.

Bilbo will be bewildered, watching his precious stuff flying all over the place, but when the dust settles everything is fine.

I'll be surprised if they actually trash the place.

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer... Shakespeare."

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2011, 6:32pm

Post #18 of 84 (7224 views)
Shortcut
This actually sounds very plausible. [In reply to] Can't Post

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 29 2011, 6:54pm

Post #19 of 84 (7243 views)
Shortcut
As likely as not that's just them fooling around [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not at all convinced that that is actually filming for the movie. It looks to me like they are just fooling around.

Much ado about nothing.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

IDLookout
Rivendell

Nov 29 2011, 7:04pm

Post #20 of 84 (7201 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that idea. If the dwarves were actually breaking stuff, it drops them down a notch and starts to turn them into silly goofballs instead of proud dwarves on a quest to reclaim their heritage (yes, they have to have a bit of silliness, but smashing up Bilbo's stuff just doesn't fit). What I like best about that part of the book is that Bilbo really thinks they're going to ruin everything, but they don't.

Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
He's only three feet tall.
Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
The bravest little hobbit of them all.

-Leonard Nimoy

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Nov 29 2011, 7:23pm

Post #21 of 84 (7235 views)
Shortcut
Right [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, that's what I'm suggesting - actors (or Peter) goofing on us.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Nov 29 2011, 7:24pm)

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Nov 29 2011, 8:25pm

Post #22 of 84 (7249 views)
Shortcut
I douby they are just throwing around props [In reply to] Can't Post

For nothing. They are all in full costume, acting their parts, and are on a schedule. My guess is that this is definitely a scene from the movie. It's certainly far more likely, probability-wise, that this is for a scene, and not just for fun.

How can you be so certain its much ado about nothing?

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 29 2011, 8:39pm

Post #23 of 84 (7174 views)
Shortcut
All indications are that these guys are big jokers [In reply to] Can't Post

If you watch the sequence in the Vlog, it really doesn't look at all like there is filming going on. It looks like horsing around. Which these guys do a lot of in and out of costume (unless you think that, for instance, Bombur playing air guitar and drums is going to be in the films).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 29 2011, 8:51pm

Post #24 of 84 (7203 views)
Shortcut
Moreover [In reply to] Can't Post

You can see that the dishes DON'T break when they hit the ground. So what would be point of showing them breaking dishes that don't actually break?

And actually some of the people who are throwing the dishes aren't even IN costume. Watch it again; it clear is not a scene being filmed.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2011, 9:06pm

Post #25 of 84 (7183 views)
Shortcut
The camera is rolling, the music is playing [In reply to] Can't Post

and a crew member is tossing the plates.

I believe they are filming. There's no crewmembers in front of the camera, nor any actors without costume/makeup.

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 29 2011, 9:07pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.