Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Upcoming auction - 14 December

geordie
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2011, 8:32pm

Post #1 of 13 (1231 views)
Shortcut
Upcoming auction - 14 December Can't Post

Here's one for all you movies fans out there -

http://bonhams.com/eur/auction/19431/lot/4173/

- a copy of LotR, signed by pJ and co.

Enjoy!

Smile

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Nov 26 2011, 11:09am

Post #2 of 13 (552 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes the name McKellen is written wrong (including this site): Ian McKellAn, but seeing his signature it looks like he is making the same mistake.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2011, 2:51pm

Post #3 of 13 (514 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome - [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't noticed that about Sir Ian's autograph. How odd. But it's a better attempt than that given by the writer of the catalogue entry, who writes it as " Ian McKlellan".

(obviously a typo)

Wink

(This post was edited by geordie on Nov 26 2011, 2:51pm)

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Nov 26 2011, 7:47pm

Post #4 of 13 (533 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Ian would make that mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate to say it, but to me that signature looks nothing like Ian's writing. I have a number of Ian's autographs, including one photo he inscribed to me in my presence and one note he sent me thanking me for the copy of my book I sent him. Unless he signed that copy of LOTR with his hand in a cast or something, I doubt that's his autograph. I can't speak to the others.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2011, 7:59pm

Post #5 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut
Oo-er - [In reply to] Can't Post

- thanks for the tip. I have no idea about autographs of the movies cast and crew, so I bow to your expertise. I certainly wouldn't have pointed to the item if there were any doubt in my own mind.

All I can say is that Bonham's is a reputable auction house, so I have every confidence that all is above board, but the old saw is always to be remembered - caveat emptor.

Smile

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Nov 26 2011, 9:01pm

Post #6 of 13 (502 views)
Shortcut
Well, I certainly hope I'm wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, somebody is going to end up buying that book. Perhaps someone here with more knowledge of the handwriting of the other autograph signers involved can chime in with an opinion.

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Nov 26 2011, 10:02pm

Post #7 of 13 (604 views)
Shortcut
Well I did notice the autograph of Billy Boyd and the one above it looks the same.. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Nightingale
Rohan

Nov 28 2011, 10:11pm

Post #8 of 13 (540 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that spelling issue too [In reply to] Can't Post

Can anyone work out the signature on the far left of the 'McKellan' page?
As for the others, I know Viggo's looks right - and I want Christopher Lee's handwriting!

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Nov 29 2011, 1:53am

Post #9 of 13 (542 views)
Shortcut
That one is Dominic Monaghan [In reply to] Can't Post

The Christopher Lee autograph looks pretty plausible, as do most of them.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Nov 29 2011, 4:09am

Post #10 of 13 (514 views)
Shortcut
I dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

You could be right, but I know that sometimes, when I write my signature really fast, accidentally skip a loop or or add one, making it look like my last name ends with "mam" or "mem" or "nem" or other permutations, and my signature ends up looking more like someone trying to fake my signature. I haven't seen Ian McKellen's autograph before, though, so I'm definitely not the best judge in this case.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Nov 29 2011, 4:33am

Post #11 of 13 (613 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll buy that for most of the signatures on those three pages (e.g., Hugo Weaving usually signs his name "hugo weaving," but occasionally he does use a capital W). But the "Ian McKellen" signature is different from his normal signature on just about every letter, and the "McKellan" spelling is just the topper.

kstern999

Nov 29 2011, 7:42pm

Post #12 of 13 (472 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course you're right, Kristin, that's not Ian's signature. (Just bought another copy of your book, it never comes back when I loan it out.)
Keith Stern
Webmaster
McKellen.com

kstern999

Nov 29 2011, 7:44pm

Post #13 of 13 (638 views)
Shortcut
Some of them look all right, but not Ian's. [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.