The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Nifty intro at tolkienestate.com

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 11 2007, 11:17am

Post #1 of 6 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Nifty intro at tolkienestate.com Can't Post

This is a "temporary" website (that's what it says!) that should be more extensive later this year, and looks to be interesting. But the intro is really nifty! Artwork drips onto a page, appears, and then is changed when a new drip comes down. Try it, and see what you think!

tolkienestate.com

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"I can manage it," said Frodo. "I must."

Wynnie
Rohan

Sep 11 2007, 12:37pm

Post #2 of 6 (845 views)
Shortcut
I ran across that site [In reply to] Can't Post

back around the time Children of Hurin was coming out and I was looking for more information about the book. It doesn't look as though they've added a whole lot since then. I do hope they're still working on it.

What a gorgeous intro page! Usually I skip intros, but not this one. I get fonder and fonder of JRRT's artwork all the time, so I'm happy to see they're making use of it, not only there but throughout the site.

I sit beside the fire and think
of all that I have seen,
of meadow-flowers and butterflies
in summers that have been

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 11 2007, 1:06pm

Post #3 of 6 (845 views)
Shortcut
Unusual, and very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

As if Tolkien's watercolors were spreading out, and being "painted", one on top the other. Well done, and a fine introduction to his works.

I also like how, on the main page, they have the Sindarin in Tengwar for "Children of Húrin", "FAQ", etc. which changes to the English when you scroll over it.

It seems to be concentrating on CoH; I hope it expands to include all of Tolkien's works, including his lesser-known ones, later!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2007, 3:59pm

Post #4 of 6 (834 views)
Shortcut
That is a [In reply to] Can't Post

cool intro. Some groovy illustrations on some of the pages as well. Hopefully the site becomes rather extensive.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Ginger
Rohan

Sep 12 2007, 4:50pm

Post #5 of 6 (815 views)
Shortcut
That is a great introduction [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for pointing it out.

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 12 2007, 6:33pm

Post #6 of 6 (1028 views)
Shortcut
How nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great intro. Thanks for sharing that with us, a.s. It's bookmarked. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.