Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Viggo Mortensen will not be in 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 22 2011, 2:04am

Post #1 of 47 (2616 views)
Shortcut
Viggo Mortensen will not be in 'The Hobbit' Can't Post

Nobody can be shocked or even surprised but some fans were still holding out hope that Viggo Moretensen's Aragorn character would return in some form or fashion for the two part presentation of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit.

In an interview with Movies.com, the actor addressed the question directly and says that while he was once asked if he was willing to be involved, nothing has moved forward at this point. That may not be official, but its about as confirmed as information gets.

"I'm not in it unless it there is some last-minute plan they have, but I thought I would have heard of it by now."

During the Middle-earth portion of the interview he mentioned the "bridge film" that was once part of the two-movie plan for The Hobbit but was later abandoned when the writing team of Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro wrote the episodic children's book into a two part movie. The mysterious bridge film was dropped. Moretensen spoke of his third film with director David Cronenberg, "A Dangerous Method," where the actor portrays Sigmund Freud.

The full article is available right here.

phredegar
Bree

Nov 22 2011, 9:20am

Post #2 of 47 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Hunting for Gollum? [In reply to] Can't Post

Gosh, this is disappointing - unless there's another sneaky little movie in the pipeline. By the way, saw Witness (Harrison Ford) again recently and spotted a very young Viggo, which makes 6 degrees of separation games a lot easier!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2011, 10:03am

Post #3 of 47 (1584 views)
Shortcut
I didn't expect him to. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Nov 22 2011, 10:05am

Post #4 of 47 (1610 views)
Shortcut
Maybe a 'quick' cameo role - [In reply to] Can't Post

- as an 'anonymous' Ranger could be sneaked into the footage. I think the attack on Dol Guldur could have involved the Dúnedain, who are allies of Elrond .

We could have got to see the first meeting of Aragorn and Gandalf. (A minion of the Necromancer tries to sneak upon the Grey Wizard, suddenly it sprouts an arrow from it's back, and then we get a brief glimpse of a hooded Strider standing there with a bow. Then Gandalf finishes off the minion.)

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a movie showing the reign of King Elessar.

Nightingale
Rohan

Nov 22 2011, 10:14am

Post #5 of 47 (1592 views)
Shortcut
A little suprised [In reply to] Can't Post

and rather disappointed, seeing that Aragorn was my favourite character long before Viggo appeared on my radar as an excellent actor.
The fangirl in me was hoping he would have a little screentime.

willowing
Lorien

Nov 22 2011, 10:57am

Post #6 of 47 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Viggo and The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting this article, it is well worth the read since we rarely get to hear or read anything about Viggo or some of the original cast members from LOTR. Viggo's replies and responses to the questions come straight from the heart and I do not detect a hint of bitterness here. I don't blame him for being possessive of the character 'Aragorn' as I too believe that only he, is good enough to portray Strider/Aragorn.

Viggo goes on to say that "I'm not in it unless there is some last-minute plan they have, but I thought I would have heard of it by now."

The last six to eight words of this quote reminds me of another actor who had personal problems that made headlines, his suitability for the role and whether he would be allowed into New Zealand was a hush hush story. 'Would have heard of it by now'.

So anyway Viggo's reply to the last question of the interview mentions nothing of his LOTR character and the LOTR movies. Which leads me to wonder whether the shadow of the LOTR is finally wearing off.

Finally, thumbs up for his devotion and love for his mother and for a flourishing career that is taking off!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 22 2011, 11:44am

Post #7 of 47 (1611 views)
Shortcut
We could still see the first meeting of Aragorn and Gandalf... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We could have got to see the first meeting of Aragorn and Gandalf. (A minion of the Necromancer tries to sneak upon the Grey Wizard, suddenly it sprouts an arrow from it's back, and then we get a brief glimpse of a hooded Strider standing there with a bow. Then Gandalf finishes off the minion.)

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a movie showing the reign of King Elessar.

A younger Aragorn could be played by a different actor.. I couldn't easily imagine Viggo playing an Aragorn still in his mid-twenties anyway. Tolkien did not provide much detail about how that meeting took place, just that Aragorn was twenty-five when it occurred

If the door was still open to showing a ten year-old 'Estel' living in Rivendell then a child-actor would have had to be hired in any case.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Nov 22 2011, 1:32pm

Post #8 of 47 (1578 views)
Shortcut
About Aragorn - [In reply to] Can't Post

- I can't see anyone but Viggo playing him . I would have thought that Aragorn in his twenties or thirties would look only slightly younger than he was in his eighties.

But I was suggesting that we only get a very brief glimpse of him, a sort of double-take moment. They might be able to get away with that.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Nov 22 2011, 1:33pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 22 2011, 2:42pm

Post #9 of 47 (1462 views)
Shortcut
Aww! :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have liked to see him in some capacity as part of that "hunt for Gollum" storyline... Frown

xxxyyy
Rohan

Nov 22 2011, 2:57pm

Post #10 of 47 (1500 views)
Shortcut
A sad day. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have liked to see him in Rivendell, and the first meeting with Gandalf, and maybe his involvment in the attack at Dol Guldur.
And about his age, they could turn him into a 25 yeat old man in no time with make-up or a bit of CGI, so the age is not the problem here...
A true pity.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Niniel Valinor
Rivendell

Nov 22 2011, 3:27pm

Post #11 of 47 (1491 views)
Shortcut
Good [In reply to] Can't Post

No offense to Viggo whatsoever of course, but that wouldn't have made much sense. I can see having Elijah in there somehow (if the reason he is in there really is the reason... lol), but Aragorn wouldn't have made much sense in being there. Maybe a 10 year old running around maybe, but not Viggo lol

"Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life."

Ruijor
Rohan

Nov 22 2011, 4:11pm

Post #12 of 47 (1497 views)
Shortcut
I can live without Viggo in The Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

but not so much with the total absence of Aragorn´s character. We should have a glimpse of Estel in Rivendell. Not mandatory but surely would be a nice nod...

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 22 2011, 4:39pm

Post #13 of 47 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Good. [In reply to] Can't Post

No reason for him to be there.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Snaga
Lorien

Nov 22 2011, 4:41pm

Post #14 of 47 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Would love to see some "bridge" material whipped into a movie someday [In reply to] Can't Post

If it was well written (staying as true to Tolkien as possible) and could stand alone as it's own story, while still fitting in with the other movies. That's the only way I could see us getting more cinematic Middle Earth after the two upcoming movies since the current rights exclude the Silmarillion and other material. And lets face it, unless they turn right around and do it within the next 5-7 years or so Viggo will probably be too old to play Aragorn again.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 22 2011, 5:47pm

Post #15 of 47 (1416 views)
Shortcut
Too late for that... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but not so much with the total absence of Aragorn´s character. We should have a glimpse of Estel in Rivendell. Not mandatory but surely would be a nice nod...

That ship sailed into the West when Jackson made the Lord of the Rings films before The Hobbit. He pretty much blew the timeline that would have allowed us to have a ten year-old Aragorn at Rivendell at the same time as Bilbo and Thorin. To keep a semblance of continuity between the films, Aragorn would have to be in his mid-twenties at the time of The Hobbit. This can all be traced to the condensing of the time span between Bilbo's leaving Hobbiton following his birthday party to Frodo's departure from the Shire (as evidenced by Sam, Merry and Pippin being present at Bilbo's birthday as adults instead of as children).

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Nov 22 2011, 6:35pm

Post #16 of 47 (1462 views)
Shortcut
I would have thought Aragorn had plenty of motives to be present at Dol Guldur. [In reply to] Can't Post

but Aragorn wouldn't have made much sense in being there.

No reason for him to be there.

He was a Ranger, dedicated to opposing the Enemy, even more so when you consider his family's history. And the Necromancer was practically a (unwanted) neighbour.

His (former) guardian was going to war. I can't see a young Aragorn not getting involved in his 'foster-father's' (and girlfriend's dad's) campaign against Sauron.

Would love to see some "bridge" material whipped into a movie someday

Much as I would have liked to have seen a movie about 'young' Aragorn. I don't want them to recast the part.

Unless they make a movie about his teenage years, that predates 'The Hobbit.' They'd have to leave out the Arwen storyline, (How old would Liv Tyler be by the time they get down to it? They can't exactly turn Arwen into a teenager too). That would turn it into an almost military movie - Aragorn: The Early Years. Probably a bit disappointing for people who were looking forward to the romance.

I suppose we could get a teenage rivalry between him and young Denethor, and what shaped both youngsters and turned them into the men they eventually became.

In conclusion - the bridge movie is over. It would be easier to make a 'War in the North' movie.

Mole
Bree

Nov 22 2011, 9:14pm

Post #17 of 47 (1384 views)
Shortcut
Seems Aragorn won't... [In reply to] Can't Post

be seen in the film, but will he be heard? I would expect him to at least be mentioned in the storyline of Dol Guldur; perhaps during the White Council as an optional ally to call upon?

Any thoughts?

(This post was edited by Mole on Nov 22 2011, 9:16pm)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Nov 22 2011, 9:35pm

Post #18 of 47 (1341 views)
Shortcut
We don't really know the plan for Dol Guldur - [In reply to] Can't Post

but will he be heard?

- but the Rangers could represent Strider, though I'm thinking that if they wanted to have some sort of reference to Aragorn, they could just as easily have had him present .

Let's hope Viggo does get a call from PJ and Co one of these days.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 22 2011, 9:44pm

Post #19 of 47 (1363 views)
Shortcut
Any Ranger would be a spoiler. [In reply to] Can't Post

From the POV of someone seeing TH first, then LotR (and there will be plenty) any mention of Rangers in TH will spoil the suspense of seeing a sinister-looking Strider in the Prancing Pony.

I prefer to think Aragorn was off in Rohan or Gondor at the time.

Join us in the Reading Room as we discuss the LotR Appendices! The real stories behind the Numenorians, Rohirrim, Elves, and Dwarves!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Nov 22 2011, 10:01pm

Post #20 of 47 (1340 views)
Shortcut
If we want to leave the Ranger's out - [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer to think Aragorn was off in Rohan or Gondor at the time.

- we could have Elrond mention that he's in, say, Gondor, perhaps in response to an enquiry by Gandalf .

By the time we get FOTR, people should get a 'Wait, I've heard that name before' sort of moment.

The scene would also emphasise for viewers just how long he's known the Grey Wizard and the Master of Rivendell.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 22 2011, 10:15pm

Post #21 of 47 (1330 views)
Shortcut
Emphasizing his relationship with Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

destroys the ambiguity of his first meeting with Frodo. It would destroy all the tension that PJ worked to create at Bree.

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?
Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013
Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 22 2011, 10:16pm

Post #22 of 47 (1304 views)
Shortcut
Movie Aragorn spent his life avoiding his destiny. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why on earth would he be at Dol Guldur?

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 22 2011, 11:16pm

Post #23 of 47 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Well at least we have Figwit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Nov 23 2011, 12:18am

Post #24 of 47 (1272 views)
Shortcut
I'm okay with this [In reply to] Can't Post

While I am a Viggo fan, I'm perfectly fine with Aragorn not appearing in the Hobbit.

Christopher Lee is plenty :)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2011, 12:31am

Post #25 of 47 (1386 views)
Shortcut
THANK GOD!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so glad of this I am SOOOOOOOO sick of everyone insisting there is still a "bridge" film. I realize people want to see more middle earth but at what expense? Its one thing to have the white council there because that happens during backstory stuff, and while Bilbo is on his journey. So I can live with that, it will explain where Gandalf went when he left the dwarfs at the edge of Mirkwood. Frodo I can live with because the way I see them probably bookending (my bet is the hobbit will be flashback in Bilbo's mind while writing his book) the hobbit movie with Old Bilbo and Frodo will kind of tie the LOTR to the hobbit so I can live with that. But there is no Bridge movie Bilbo did not know Strider at all as Aragorn was known before the events of FOTR, Bilbo had no knowledge of Gollum following him out of the misty mountains. I know Peter Jackson played with the timeframe for the LOTR movie trilogy but I mean at the time of the Hobbit events which is mainly what these 2 films will encompass Aragorn was like 10 years old (born in 2931 and Bilbo went to Erebor in 2941 YEP thats 10) I wouldn't complain with a dark haired 10 year old boy called Estel doing a cameo around Rivendell and I don't think Viggo would be able to pull that off. I honestly don't care to see Gollum any more than the riddles in the dark sequence, I don't need to see him leaving the misty mountain years earlier than he truly did, just to give some crappy semblance of suspense... we all know he left the misty mountains, because he is in the LOTR trilogy. I'm willing to look past Tauriel (made up strong female character NOT in the book) as long as she doesn't overshadow the story of the hobbit, Legolas I think is CRAP!!!! I can understand a cameo with maybe a few lines, but to turn his part into a major role PFFFFTTTT!!!!!!! WHAT A FREEKIN JOKE!!!!! I mean seriously there are plenty of KEY characters that haven't been cast yet or even confirmed will be in the films. the three trolls,When are they gonna announce who's doing the voices? According to Bilbo they talked, him telling his tale to the children in the beginning of FOTR. How about Dain Ironfoot? There have been rumors about Brian Blessed playing him but no confirmation yet. Isn't he pivotal? without him and his troops it would be the battle of 4 armies and 13 dwarfs. What about Roac the Raven who can communicate with the dwarfs?(mind you he's the only talking "animal" that should be in the hobbit, but talking almost like a parrot would, sounding like he was taught to speak like mimicking) He brings word to Dain about Thorin needing help again another PIVOTAL character. and here people are worried about Figwit or Lindir as he now has an official name WHO GIVES A CRAP? He should be unnamed extra # 783 for all I care. Same goes for Drogo Baggins WHY THE HECK IS DROGO BAGGINS EVEN CAST? He doesn't even fit anywhere into the story unless they want to show Frodo coming to live with Bolbo and again WHO CARES? They are worrying about too many BS details of extras and not worrying enough about the things they should be worried about. What about Bolg? wasn't HE the one who let the gobblins/orcs in the Battle of the 5 armies? Azog was Bolg's father who was killed by Dain at the mines of Moria in retaliation for Azog killing Thror, Thorin's grandfather, beheading him and carving AZOG into his forehead...Too many characters they are overlooking already.... A couple other things for me anyways the spiders don't need to talk, they can illustrate their emotion well enough without speaking, Remember Shelob? the Thrush its stated in the book can only be understood by Bard, The Wargs do NOT need to talk, they worked just fine in The Two Towers without talking. Beorn's animals will just look fine NOT talking and acting a bit more natural like for MY taste ( I like the historically realistic look of LOTR not some cartoony Narnia version of middle earth) Galion in my opinion does't even need to talk, maybe show Gandalf of talking to him but not hearing him talking is fine with me also. There are so many things that I think are looking great ALOT of things I don't even see them looking into. But bottom line this is not a film about middle earth its about Bilbo going on an adventure with 13 dwarfs and Gandalf and then going home again. They need to stick a bit closer to the book since they are doing it in 2 films this time for 1 book they can show all the fine details of the era around the hobbit book and all the details about Bilbo and the dwarfs journey with the white council stuff included

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.