What bugs you about the movies?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2011, 2:34am

Post #76 of 78 (559 views)
Shortcut
I remember the deep-seated worry [In reply to] Can't Post

among fans as the films were being made. Would the movies do the books justice? How was it possible that such a detailed story could do well on screen? Would the hobbits and elves look silly? Would New Line go bankrupt on this risky venture?

Then there was the relief and explosion of excitement when FOTR was released, and people saw how gritty and real this fantasy movie was.

I think you're right that we've become used to this high level of portrayal of fantasy on screen, and now expect more - which isn't a bad thing if it pushes film makers to do better with their stories each time. But I think we would lose perspective if we ever forgot what a leap forward the treatment of fantasy was when LOTR hit the screens.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

JohnWayne

Dec 31 2011, 12:22am

Post #77 of 78 (533 views)
Shortcut
Diminished Characters vs arcs [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with a lot of the finer details that have been mentioned in this thread, but what particularly bothers me is the portrayal of both Aragorn and Gandalf.

It seems that Gandalf's 'power' and 'authority' are greatly diminished e.g. "I have sent Frodo to his death" *worried look on his face*. Gandalf seems clueless a lot of the time, where his character in the book exerts much greater authority and assuredness (particularly as Gandalf the white). I hate the way he looks so terrified all the time; the way it is Aragorn who forms the stategy of marching to the black gate - it is this essential strategy which represents the absolute culmination of Gandalf's Strategy i.e. the final distraction of the Eye whilst Frodo completes his task. The breaking of his staff is really symbolic of PJ's lack of subtlety - the Gandalf vs Witch-King is perhaps one of the most powerful pieces of DIALOGUE in the book . There is no 'fight' between them, because the approach of the Rohirrim represents the 'turning of the tide' - it is the greatest blow to the Witch King that Gandalf could perhaps of delivered (without digressing into how an actual 'fight' would have turned out), in the greater scheme of things. But why let subtlety and powerful dialogue get in the way of 'more action'? We all know the director l o v e s ACTION!!

Aragorn is also greatly diminished, presumably in favour of a character 'arc'. He is full of doubt and is reticent to become 'who he is born to be' in the beginning. But for me, the arc is too steep. By the end, he seems almost arrogant. I hate the way he beheads the Mouth of Sauron, i almost wish i could delete it from my DVD. Perhaps i am biased, as Viggo really doesn't do it for me as Aragorn - i find his voice to be rather weak, his stature too short, and he lacks the sort of bearing and nobility that Aragorn should have in my mind. He really does not strike me as a 'leader of men' the way, say, Russel Crowe does in Gladiotor. Even the way he runs is a bit camp! I find him very uninspiring. The whole 'falling off the cliff' scene was really, really uneccessary.

I really could have elaborated more, but i'm tired, and I haven't seen the films for 5 years, or read the book for 10! But i'm glad to see people share some of my feelings in regards to certain portrayals

(This post was edited by JohnWayne on Dec 31 2011, 12:27am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 8 2012, 3:56am

Post #78 of 78 (694 views)
Shortcut
something I forgot about... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just a Lord of the Rings marathon with my friends (our fifth), and I noticed something that's bugged me since the movie came out, which involves Shagrat and Gorbag.

I'll lay it out here...

in the book:
Shagrat:
-orc (possibly uruk) of Cirith Ungol, and smaller than Gorbag
-wants to bring the mithril shirt to Sauron
-lives to bring it to Sauron

Gorbag:
-orc (possibly uruk) of Minas Morgul
-wants the mithril shirt for himself
-killed by Shagrat

in the movie:
Shagrat:
-uruk of Cirith Ungol, and bigger than Gorbag
-wants the mithril shirt for himself
-lives to bring it to Sauron (or I guess we can assume something happened to him, and someone else brought it to Sauron)

Gorbag:
-orc of Minas Morgul
-wants to bring the mithril shirt to Sauron
-killed by Sam

They're small and basically pointless details, but it just seems like they'd be easy details to stick to (other than letting Samwise kill Gorbag of course) kind of like how they randomly changed the number of uruk-hai Legolas and Gimil killed at Helm's Deep by ONE.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.