Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Song parody/tribute THE COUNCIL OF ELROND [I am the Walrus]

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Nov 21 2011, 3:59am

Post #1 of 12 (519 views)
Shortcut
Song parody/tribute THE COUNCIL OF ELROND [I am the Walrus] Can't Post

Source song audio with lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI-tkIXqHBw

For just the source lyrics: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/805/

For the FOTR script: http://cjbannister.users.btopenworld.com/fotrscript.htm The “The Council of Elrond” scene can be found a bit more than halfway down.

The series of couplets at the end of the parody are meant to replace the unintelligibly croaked/barked, chanting vocals at the end of the source song as it fades out.

Now, without further ado….

Song parody/tribute: THE COUNCIL OF ELROND [The Beatles, I am the Walrus]

Elves are here, as
Men are here, as
Dwarves are here, and
we are all together.

See who have come?
More friends who have come
hail from the Shire.
Mae govannen!

Friends and distant strangers
summoned here to heed my call,
Middle-Earth awaits its
awful bloody doomsday, Sau-
-ron’s been a naughty boy,
We’ve let his reach grow long.

Let’s see the Ring then.(OO-Oo-ooh!)
Bring forth the Ring then. (OO-Oo-ooh!)
Problem before us:
What should we do?

From the city, great white city,
Boromir is here, so hear me now!
See how it fits, this Ring, it is a gift!
Our foes will run!
Been fighting
the fi-i-i-i-ight. (FI-I-i-i-ight!)
Should try it!
They’ll fly- (TRY-y-y-y-y . . .)
y-y-y-y!! (. . . -y-y-y-y!)

This you cannot master.
There’s not one of us who can.
What’s a lowly Ranger
know about the matter?
Sir, he’s not a Ranger only,
He’s your future king!

We have no king there. (OO-Oo-ooh!)
We need no king there! (OO-Oo-ooh!)
Strong as our force is,
Who’d look to you?

Wishing he could tend his garden
When the talking’s done.
If he goes back home along with Sam,
He’s free from all the aches and pains.
Who’ll take the Ring then? [spoken:](What, you sir?)
Who’ll take the Ring then? [spoken:](No Elf may take!)
Who’ll bear it for us?
What would you choose?
What d’you choose to do?

Axe is shattered, totaled, broken!
That’s not how the Ring can be destroyed.
(Weh-heh-hell, hee-hee-here’s ha-ha-how)
Cast to the flame from whence that it came,
That’s how the Eye
Can die.

One of you must do this.
Simply walking into Mordor?!
Evil there is sleepless, eyeball ever watchful,
Barren, ashen wasteland,
Air to breathe, a poison fume.

Who’d take the Ring there? (WHO-oo-oo?)

I’ll take the Ring there! (OO-Oo-ooh!)

He’ll bear it for us?

You, you and you, what (CHOo-oo-oose!)
d’you choose to do?

You, you and you,
and you,
What d’you choose to do?

What d’you choose?

Choose it! Choose it! Choose it!

Choose it! Choose it!
Choose it choose it!

[spoken/rapped, gradual fade out:]
Now come what may,
Though I do not know the way. (D’you choose?)
I'll help, of course,
with the burden while its yours.
You have my sword,
My life, upon my word.
And my bow too,
each arrow flies for you.
And my (new) axe,
just point and there it whacks.
Have faith little one,
let Gondor see it done.
It's me, your Sam,
I follow as I am!
Oi, we’ll come too,
That’s what we’re gonna do!
Need brains to bring
for this Mission! Quest! Thing!
So where to now?
I guess that rules you out,
Pip!
. . . for this trip,
You’ll be the Fellowship!
Begun this book,
Young Frodo, take a look.
I’ll be your wife
So I choose a mortal life!
[repeat until fade out]

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 21 2011, 8:22pm

Post #2 of 12 (162 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am...speachless.

Koo koo kachoo.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 22 2011, 1:42am

Post #3 of 12 (166 views)
Shortcut
Another wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

Rux, I do believe you have bravely gone where no parodist has gone before!

This is incredible, it all fits, perfectly...

By the way, the repeated phrase at the end of the song is "Everybody wants one."

Shocked!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 22 2011, 10:19am

Post #4 of 12 (177 views)
Shortcut
*hearty applause* :D Now then.. [In reply to] Can't Post

THAT'S a meeting I wouldn't mind attending at all! EXCELLENT!!! :D Your muse is working overtime!! :D

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Nov 23 2011, 4:23am

Post #5 of 12 (168 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

to the above for all your kind attention and nice words. I had a blast writing it.

This whole week it seems I've been coming up with new song parodies. I came very close to posting another one just now, which I wrote today mostly during lunch. I will wait a bit longer this time.

@dernwyn, yes it does sound like what you said, thanks for the info! i'd always wondered whether those were supposed to be real words or just gibberish they were croaking.

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2011, 2:21pm

Post #6 of 12 (167 views)
Shortcut
The only way this could be bettered [In reply to] Can't Post

is with an actual recording. The way you structured was clever and I liked how it contrasted with the original song. As a Beatles fan, this is a real treat to read. Smile

"Oh, the cleverness of me."

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2011, 2:39am

Post #7 of 12 (224 views)
Shortcut
Humble thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Today is Thanksgiving Day here in the US and I'm thankful for your kind and thoughtful compliment. I had a great time writing it, especially as it gave me the chance to link two of my favorite things in this world, and I'm having an even greater time sharing it with those who enjoy with me, especially fellow Beatles (and Tolkien) fans like yourself.

To you and to all, Happy Thanksgiving!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 25 2011, 9:23pm

Post #8 of 12 (175 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty good at guitar if you want any parodies recorded? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2011, 10:14pm

Post #9 of 12 (161 views)
Shortcut
if you're really interested [In reply to] Can't Post

can you sing too? what style of guitar music do you play, etc. any experience with recording and uploading for the internet? was there a particular parody you were interested in recording/performing and have you tried it? you could PM me your details. that applies to anyone if similarly interested.

I was envisioning doing one of my parodies as some kind of youtube video, but audio-only is a possibility at least as a starting point. A youtube video would probably mostly if not entirely consist of clips from the movies, and possibly subtitles for the lyrics.

I wasn't sure about performing the music versus somehow getting a pre-recorded track from the original record for the accompaniment.

I've toyed with the idea of self-performing the music and singing it. I do guitar and keyboards and I have some experience self-recording/producing my performances on audio (as an amateur) and with performing live in bands and solo. I'm open to the idea of collaborating, such as with yourself and/or anyone who might be interested. The question of logistics would need to be addressed.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 25 2011, 10:26pm

Post #10 of 12 (189 views)
Shortcut
I'm a terrible singer, lol... [In reply to] Can't Post

I play acoustic mostly, because I prefer the sound... I play all kinds and am a big Beatles fan :)

I was in two minds whether to share this with you, because it's pretty embarrassing... But I will... http://youtu.be/oFEVPv2m85U

I can play a lot better, we were just having fun here.
(I'm the one in the light blue) Blush

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2011, 6:01am

Post #11 of 12 (178 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for sharing your entertaining performance. i am familiar with the Lady Gaga version, and seeing/hearing it in the sparse, laid back, deadpan way you guys did it made me chuckle Smile

Thanks for showing interest in recording one of my song parodies, it's very flattering, especially from someone of your talent.

If you're serious about doing a recording of The Council of Elrond parody of I Am the Walrus, please PM me to let me know, I'd like to know your ideas on how you would approach it. Although I didn't envision it done acoustically, maybe I'm in for a surprise.

Or alternatively, I might suggest you do a cover of the original/source song rather than its parody, which quite impressive in itself. Capturing or surpassing the original without the use of orchestral elements, sampled vocals or backup chorus of professional vocalists may be possible but not an easy challenge.

You may be looking to perform a Middle-Earth related parody of a song by the Beatles. However, in case you might be open to performing a parody of songs by other artists, I might also suggest some other parodies of mine that might more likely lend themselves to acoustic renderings, such as The Gardener (the Boxer), Arwen or the Grey Havens (Stairway to Heaven), The Hobbit 1.5 (Ziggy Stardust), or Moria (Hotel California). Even Aragorn (All Star-Smashmouth) might be ok in acoustic. Not sure about The Second Age (12 Days of Christmas) though.

Thanks again for sharing your link. I can relate to your feeling of two minds about posting it, I know how that feels every time I post any of these parody lyrics that I write.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 26 2011, 6:15pm

Post #12 of 12 (164 views)
Shortcut
I can already play Stairway to Heaven and Hotel California. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could probably learn the others... I'll PM you a rough video when I have the time and see what you think. Looking forward to it Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.