Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's time for FIESTA HOMECOMING 2011 !!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

GAndyalf
Valinor

Nov 11 2011, 7:27pm

Post #151 of 243 (1820 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

The trick is to not let loose of the rudder! Even in rough seas, if you keep at the tiller eventually you get to mark twain! Cool

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Nov 11 2011, 7:39pm

Post #152 of 243 (1889 views)
Shortcut
the only thing ive heard... [In reply to] Can't Post

is a little quote on a film i once saw 'its alive...igor!' but yes even i can make a grand cake.....
and no - do not ask for a cake order for xmas as we are inundated with them - hahahah!

hmm, well that is hardly any argument compared now is it?

dessert it indeed....

not much changing here....dont feel like i had been on vacation...no jobs at all this week...no work in this city its just about dried out......

still. enjoy the ''blue sky at the end of the tunnel'' m'dear

-e-

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

and through it all we remain strong and true
for eternity is bonds unbroken
beyond the sea...

into the realm of TORN!

wheres breakfast?

beauty is not skin deep, it is as deep as the wish of the beholder.
fore! fore! wassup!

Bound
Rohan

Nov 11 2011, 7:54pm

Post #153 of 243 (1861 views)
Shortcut
Congrats to one and all... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have a champagne - since we're celebrating

To all celebrating this homecoming... Enjoy...

Have to say these boards are filled with very kind and polite people and what better place to continue one's tolkien's obsessions.

Back in the real world - myself and my long term lady friend had decided (finally) to get all official and we will be getting married in July 2012.
So 2012 won't only be about waiting for The Hobbit... ;p

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Patty
Immortal

Nov 11 2011, 7:59pm

Post #154 of 243 (1911 views)
Shortcut
Howdy. And yes, late, as usual. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings to all our long-last TORnsibs; you've all been missed. Greetings to all who lurk, old and new (wonder what ever happened to Fingon? Tampa Phil and Nimrodel? And many many others who were/are dearly loved--you know who you are.) Is anyone still in touch with Sooth and Nenya? Ah, the elder days...Cool

Can't stop..I thought the grandPattys were coming to stay tomorrow, but instead they are coming today, and I must hit the grocery to stock up and accomodate them.Evil

Happy homecoming, TORn! Thank you to our administrators and to our staff and spies. We appreciate your work more than you can know.Heart

Permanent address: Into the West

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Nov 11 2011, 7:59pm

Post #155 of 243 (1891 views)
Shortcut
champagne for everyone!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Phew - nearly missed Homecoming! (Thanks for reminding staffers, gramma!) I'm sitting in the house of L.Ron Halfelven, about to begin a movie marathon of Deathly Hallows parts 1 and 2, but first we're drinking to TORn, to all our friends here, and to the fact that we would not be friends without these wonderful message boards!

I joined TORn soon after FotR came out, that June L.Ron was the first TORnsib I met in RL, and since then I have had many wonderful journeys and RL encounters with fabulous people who have become dear friends. So it's only a flying visit but with much love for TORn and all TORnsibs. Or TOrnadoes, if you insist. Tongue Definitely this calls for bubbly - not that I need an excuse! Cheers all! Heart

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Nov 11 2011, 8:06pm

Post #156 of 243 (1893 views)
Shortcut
Almost 10 years to the day after TORn sent me on my journey... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I found myself looking on a familiar sight. Cheers, friends old and new!

Fight for us! And regain your honor, learn valuable technical skills, and qualify for up to four years' college tuition under the GI Bill! What say you?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 11 2011, 8:21pm

Post #157 of 243 (1834 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

The first recipe called for a bread machine, so I've printed out the second one - I'd love to make this as loaves for my own family! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Nov 11 2011, 8:24pm

Post #158 of 243 (1858 views)
Shortcut
Ha, well, we don't have a bread machine... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so it must be the second one he uses! Cool

Enjoy1

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

Annael
Immortal

Nov 11 2011, 8:37pm

Post #159 of 243 (1859 views)
Shortcut
amen [In reply to] Can't Post

the only reason why I'm succeeding this time with the lifestyle modification is that this time, I am doing it with friends. Their ability to listen and talk me back on track when I derail (or want to) is the key ingredient.

Also, I find others' success to be really inspirational, so as someone who is almost back into a size 12 (I have to hoist up the 14s every few minutes) I say hooray to you and also thank you for showing me it can be done!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 11 2011, 8:40pm

Post #160 of 243 (1843 views)
Shortcut
Good grief! [In reply to] Can't Post

But at least it's really GOOD this time! Smile

How far can one walk into Mordor? Only half-way...after that, you're walking OUT.

Welcome back, GAndy!

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

Annael
Immortal

Nov 11 2011, 8:40pm

Post #161 of 243 (1872 views)
Shortcut
Seattle might not get too much [In reply to] Can't Post

the high winds are coming down the Strait of Juan de Fuca, so me'n Elberbeth, who are on either side of that, will feel it, but then it will mostly go east and miss Seattle.

Of course, they are making so much fuss about it, probably nothing much will happen. Right now it's still (but raining hard - guess that's the end of our Indian summer).

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 11 2011, 8:41pm

Post #162 of 243 (1852 views)
Shortcut
Wow, congrats to you! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 11 2011, 8:43pm

Post #163 of 243 (1829 views)
Shortcut
Yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

What's that phrase - something about it taking a heap o' vittles to fill a young hobbit's stomach! Better stock up well, Patty! Laugh

GAndyalf
Valinor

Nov 11 2011, 8:43pm

Post #164 of 243 (1833 views)
Shortcut
A thought just occurred... [In reply to] Can't Post

If I'm successful in what I'm envisioning it would be DR GAndy?! That's TOO funny to even IMAGINE! BWA! HAHAHAHA! <Puts out some of his home-made chicken soup for Fiesta-goers>

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 11 2011, 8:45pm

Post #165 of 243 (1856 views)
Shortcut
A Deathly Hallows marathon? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the perfect way to see them - enjoy! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 11 2011, 8:50pm

Post #166 of 243 (1904 views)
Shortcut
*scoops bowl of chicken soup* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, there's nothing like home-made soup! Smile I'd have some of my fresh-baked cardamom braid with this, but it's for a fair tomorrow...well, who knows, I'm making six braids so if one doesn't come out looking nice enough...Angelic

Dr., eh? So your son could go around telling everyone that his dad's a doctor! Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 11 2011, 8:53pm

Post #167 of 243 (1818 views)
Shortcut
And also [In reply to] Can't Post

a "familiar site"!

Cheers, L.Ron, and enjoy the movies! Cool

GAndyalf
Valinor

Nov 11 2011, 8:59pm

Post #168 of 243 (1887 views)
Shortcut
<Eyes cardamom braid hungrily> [In reply to] Can't Post

That WOULD go nicely w/the soup!

Yup, the plan is to get a doctorate so that I can go overseas to work. In 4 1/2 years (when the boy's 13 - I can't BELIEVE he's gonna be NINE in January!) we're going to Europe for a year, then Australia, Asia, S. America, and finally Africa for a year each. When it comes to Antarctica at 18 just a few weeks - no culture and not all THAT much to see! But "The Plan" is beginning to go the way I envisioned so this is a GOOD thing! Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 11 2011, 9:38pm

Post #169 of 243 (1861 views)
Shortcut
congrats to *you* [In reply to] Can't Post

Your news made me smile. :-)

Cheers and best wishes. (says she who has been with her elf man for 38 years and counting)

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 11 2011, 9:42pm

Post #170 of 243 (1811 views)
Shortcut
Don't know if this would be any help: [In reply to] Can't Post

I've also had the experience of depression going along with weight loss. After years and years, I figured out that for me depression is linked to low estrogen levels. And since fat cells produce estrogen, losing weight meant losing estrogen. After my hysterectomy, I was determined not to do hormone supplements. But that turned out to be a really bad idea. Now that I'm taking a *very* small supplement, I feel great.

My doctor told me last week I need to lose weight for the sake of blood sugar and blood pressure, so I'm motivated now. I've lost six pounds since then. I know the rate will slow, but I do know how to do this when I'm motivated, and I am now. I can feel the difference when I bend over to tie my shoes; my stomach doesn't get in the way as much :-)

Hugs to you, and keep writing. You don't have to "win" at NaNo for it to be worth doing. I "won" last year, and decided I was never putting myself through that again. So this year I'm editing last year's novel, and if I ever do NaNo again, I'll set my own personal goal that will fit in better with my long work days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 11 2011, 9:45pm

Post #171 of 243 (1828 views)
Shortcut
Congrats to you!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?
Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013
Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 11 2011, 9:52pm

Post #172 of 243 (1913 views)
Shortcut
*Helping myself to a huge virtual chocolate shake* [In reply to] Can't Post

since virtual food only has virtual calories :-)

My doctor told me last week I need to lose weight and exercise more, as my blood sugar is up, and my blood pressure has been too. I'm not really that overweight; I'm at 25 on the BMI index, but these health problems are worth tackling. I've been having trouble with my feet lately, and he fingered pre-diabetes as a possible cause.

I know how to lose weight; it's just getting motivated that's the key. So I'm motivated now. I've lost six pounds since the doctor visit, and I'm over at the gym every day with my aching feet working out on the elliptical and reading my kindle.

I cheated a bit yesterday and donated a pint of blood, which is a pound, but of course that doesn't stay off ;-)

Anyway, I have some lovely memories of TORn. I arrived in the fall of 2001, hideously depressed about 9/11 and my mother's declining health. It took her another nine years to die, but it began then. LotR and TORn and Figwit kept me going through those dark times, and I'm so grateful to this place.

Other people have mentioned the pink bathing suit episode, so I don't have to repeat that, but it was of course a highlight.

I didn't handle the Map adventure very well, but that's worth mentioning too: link Here's what the Map looked like: link

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Nov 11 2011, 9:58pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 11 2011, 10:03pm

Post #173 of 243 (1864 views)
Shortcut
That gave me pause. [In reply to] Can't Post

We've been having odd pitter-patters from inside the walls that I have assumed were mice (the cat seems very interested) but maybe I should keep and eye and nose out for electrical problems. :-/ Thanks for the warning, and I'm so glad you're OK!

Menelwyn
Rohan

Nov 11 2011, 10:13pm

Post #174 of 243 (1892 views)
Shortcut
Happy Homecoming! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a while since I've been around here, but I heard from a special mellon that today was Homecoming, so I thought I would come say hi! It's good to see everyone, both the faces from the past and the new ones, and to see that all the excitement still continues!

*raises glass of miruvor to what is still the best site on the web!*

Happy Homecoming to all my dear friends!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2011, 11:12pm

Post #175 of 243 (1902 views)
Shortcut
Happy homecoming! [In reply to] Can't Post

It really does feel like coming home when I pop in here. I'd forgotten about homecoming so I picked a good day to poke my nose in, even if I'm a day late! *Helps self to a Diet Coke and stares longingly at the rum*

I could cozy up to a fire and reminesce about the good ol' times on TORn til everyone's bored to tears, but I'll spare you that. :-) How could I possibly pick just one to share here? I think my favorite times on the boards used to be the limerick wars and pants threads. But of course there was all the fun we had *off* the boards too!

It's a dreary rainy day here and feels more like a northern-hemisphere November day than a southern-hemisphere one (which is actually okay by me: it's SUPPOSED to be dreary in November!). The princelings and NZ Strider are hard at work on train projects, and little NZ Wriggler (I think she needs a new name) is sound asleep, the way we like her! Here's a recent picture of her:

Happy homecoming weekend, everyone! It's great to have this as an annual event.

I'm off to bake cookies (does anyone else have uncontrollable urges to bake cookies on dreary rainy days?).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.