Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's time for FIESTA HOMECOMING 2011 !!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 11 2011, 5:27pm

Post #26 of 243 (1893 views)
Shortcut
*clicks Notta's glass* [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, a toast to us all! There's nothing like a great community---and people who read books Wink

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Post #27 of 243 (1924 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a soft-food diet for me, for today, and the bread is soft, so...Wink

Thank you for the aspirin, gramma! Laugh I'm not feeling as achy as I'd thought I'd be, at least not yet...

I hope you have a relaxing weekend, none of those tests to oversee so you can get outside to enjoy the Autumn air!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Post #28 of 243 (1933 views)
Shortcut
Heehee! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Why not have both, LOL! :D *gets a virtual piece of pumpkin pie to go along with the Fall/Winter Usual* :D

As for the weather, it actually just snowed the other day, and it's apparently cold enough now for the snow to stay on the ground, too. :) Ah well; it *is* November. :P :)

Hope you have a great weekend, too, dernwyn! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 11 2011, 5:28pm

Post #29 of 243 (1899 views)
Shortcut
HOWDY!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

For you.. A whole KEG FULL!!!

Server is nasty slow right now, but other than that all is well! How 'bout you!? It's been too long, dear friend :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Post #30 of 243 (1912 views)
Shortcut
Yes and No! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I did plant squash, but they were harvested in September. No other veggies are left, but OhioHobbit has a foxglove that bloomed after it got cold and the blossoms were still there this morning! I had monk's hood in bloom last week, but they are gone now. We've had a couple of frosts, but no freezes. I think we get help from thermal drainage. Wink

Mar
Gondor

Post #31 of 243 (1922 views)
Shortcut
Ah! The smell of bread and cardamon! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe a dose of Numbsit dropped in your coffee?? Cheers my friend. Glad we are still here.

An ill-humored person is a prisoner at the mercy of an enemy from which it is difficult to escape.

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2011, 5:29pm

Post #32 of 243 (1887 views)
Shortcut
Hey, AE! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to see you!!

Haha, the music site's going very well-- thanks! :) Hope everything is going well for you, too!

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Mar
Gondor

Nov 11 2011, 5:30pm

Post #33 of 243 (1914 views)
Shortcut
Rum you say? Where's the rum?// [In reply to] Can't Post

An ill-humored person is a prisoner at the mercy of an enemy from which it is difficult to escape.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Post #34 of 243 (1900 views)
Shortcut
There and back again.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, being the nervous sort, I'm hoping everything comes off as planned. But the plans are to spend three days in Sydney, then get on the ship with a group of like-minded souls, and visit Tasmania before heading off to New Zealand, where we get to visit Edoras, and WETA in Wellington, and Hobbiton, as well as appreciate all the gorgeous scenery. And we're hoping to catch up with Kimi and her delightful spouse in Auckland before coming home.

Whew!

I hope your tooth gets to feeling better soon, and I think I can smell your delicious bread from here!

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Post #35 of 243 (1894 views)
Shortcut
*clink* Hear, hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's to you too, Notta! Have a wonderful weekend :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Post #36 of 243 (1879 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Heheh, thanks-- and I hope you have a great weekend, too, Lily! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Post #37 of 243 (1905 views)
Shortcut
Yo, ho ho and a bottle of rum! [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit says it was just the right amount of rum!!!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 11 2011, 5:31pm

Post #38 of 243 (1917 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, we're lucky all right. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't forgotten that for a moment. As for a slob, no, I'm actually quite persnickety when it comes to, say, cleaning off my desk....

A happy weekend to you and yours, AE Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 11 2011, 5:32pm

Post #39 of 243 (1892 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Mar! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I shall bring photos and good stories, promise!

Advising Elf
Rohan

Nov 11 2011, 5:32pm

Post #40 of 243 (1923 views)
Shortcut
I'm alive. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've turned into an optimist. I'm looking at the good stuff.

;o)

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Nov 11 2011, 5:33pm

Post #41 of 243 (1949 views)
Shortcut
Never a dull moment... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everybody!

So listen to this: I thought I was just being paranoid, but I might actually have prevented an electrical fire! Mr HappyHobbit's been traveling for his job, and all sorts of weird things have been going wrong in the house, like we seem to have a critter in our walls, and it's all made me rather jumpy. Anyway, I was making dinner the other night and preheating the oven. When I walked by the oven a few minutes later, I saw something that frightened me--there was a bright red spot on the coil inside, and it looked like...a tiny flame coming out of it. I reacted so quickly to turn off the oven that I'm not exactly sure what it was that I saw, whether it was actually a flame or something different. Regardless, whatever it was went away when I turned off the oven. I called Mr HappyHobbit, but when I tried to explain what I saw, I was having a hard time describing it, and it started to feel as if I'd panicked for no reason. So I convinced myself it was fine, but I didn't turn back on the oven. (Made dinner in the toaster oven instead).

Well, when Mr. HappyHobbit came home the next day, we opened the door of the oven, and what did we see? The heating coil inside had weird white blotches on it that it didn't have before, and it had a huge crack in it! Good thing I hadn't tried to use it again, and good thing I walked by the oven when I did--maybe we could have had an electrical fire!

Now we have the exciting adventure of seeing if we can replace the coil in the oven ourselves. We aren't remotely handy, so this should be interesting. If we can't figure it out, we can always hire somebody. At this point, it doesn't seem like we need a new oven or anything.

Anyway, thank goodness I was paying attention! Stay vigilant, fellow TORNsibs! And have a great weekend!

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Post #42 of 243 (1981 views)
Shortcut
Hi, gramma! Rah, rah, rah! Sis boom bah! Stand up, sit down, fight, fight fight! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in Northern Colorado, we still have some snow in the shady spots, and some piles of broken tree branches here and there await their trips to the recycling center. The weather is unaccountable mild and glorious this week. In short, perfect homecoming weather! All we need to complete the experience are the football game, the marching band, and the school dance! Well, in the US, that is. What do folks in other parts of the world do to celebrate reunions and homecomings?

I'm drinking tea... again... while on the treadmill... as usual... The excitement for me 'n mine this week is that we now have a patio in the backyard. It's been a long time coming, and we finally hired a company to do it. Next up for us, we're redoing the family room - also a long time coming - but we're doing it ourselves. We're working to a deadline, since we're using the dining room for storage, and it needs to be back in shape in time for Thanksgiving in a couple weeks!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Advising Elf
Rohan

Post #43 of 243 (1922 views)
Shortcut
*CLANK* [In reply to] Can't Post

*GULP*

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 11 2011, 5:34pm

Post #44 of 243 (1913 views)
Shortcut
HOWDY maegwen!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry you're not feeling well... and during a party, too! I'm way proud of you for coming here afterall ;)

Happy Friday, m'dear... and I hope you have a way great weekend!

sample

Unused Scenes

Mar
Gondor

Nov 11 2011, 5:34pm

Post #45 of 243 (1922 views)
Shortcut
Praise us all with great praise! // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 11 2011, 5:35pm

Post #46 of 243 (1900 views)
Shortcut
Wise and wonderful man :) *hugs* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Unused Scenes

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Post #47 of 243 (2030 views)
Shortcut
Yay! (and memories) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I think an old friend of mine and longtime (second age) TORnsib is going to come back to post sometime today. :)

I can't wait to see everybody! I love this little history, btw. Hmmm, as for my own memories of LOTR and TORn, I would just say that I have loved getting to know everybody on here and discussing my favorite trilogy, as well as hanging around in the off-topic forums the last few years. Some favorite TORn memories:

1. Magpie's movie quizzes
2. A certain bathing suit picture I can't currently track down, but I will most certainly not forget
3. Darkstone's responses
4. No idea where the journal is now, but it was a fun project while it lasted, and I most certainly don't regret it (plus, we still have a website!) :)
5. Coming together to participate in projects when we could, to help out other sibs
6. Pun threads/pants threads
7. Mathoms
8. Celebrating/remembering various days
9. Looking around Feedback to find the "juicy" posts Tongue
This post
11. (eleven memories because it's 11/11) Being a member here for almost four years...that feels like a long time to me, because it's about a fifth of my whole life! :)

Happy friday, TORn! LaughLaughLaugh

‎"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."
--George R.R. Martin

Mozart and Chocolate
The College Student's List
Tolkien and Taters
Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Nov 11 2011, 6:05pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Post #48 of 243 (1992 views)
Shortcut
any cider? [In reply to] Can't Post

Soft cider, that is? And I just bought some pumpkin butter on the North Shore (from the Lake Superior Trading Post in Grand Marais) so maybe a plain scone to slather some on. I might sneak out a plate of those pickled snow peas my son bought, as well.

Stories of TORn's bygone days? gee, I've been here long enough you'd think I'd have some. I was just thinking this morning of the little hints that Altaira was dropping just before the new boards debuted. I can remember being really excited about working out what she was on about. I wish we could access those hints. I can't remember what they were now. And I can remember the true party we had when the new boards opened up. I think that's my most fond memories but there have been lots good discussions and fun times along with that one.

there aren’t any major holidays or Tolkien milestones around this time of year.

There is a minor Tolkien one. It seems that the UK publication of TTT was on November 11, 1954.

I used to wish that I had been part of the online fan crowd leading up to the LOTR movies' releases (I joined the web for leisure the summer of 2002 because of my renewed acquaintance and love of LOTR). But I'm mostly ambivalent about joining in The Hobbit discussions and news. I'm used to probe all gifts under the Christmas tree till I figured out what each one was. Then I realized it wasn't as much fun to *know* before the *experience* of Christmas than I might have thought. I think it's kind of the same with a movie like this. I not only don't want to know a lot of the minutiae of Hobbit news (although I don't mind larger scale news), I don't really want to discuss it at length. So I'm slightly following news but not closely and it is easy for RL to crowd out what the news of the day is in my brain's attention.

as for me, I just got back from 5 days on the North Shore (Lutsen, near Grand Marais... for those who know the area). The accommodations weren't what we were hoping for, my books weren't as engrossing as I would have liked, and lots of establishments were closed for the season. But our cabin was right on the lake and the waves were high the whole time meaning we lived with the sound of surf in our ears. And my son saved the day with a board game he brought that I really enjoyed playing (Small World) and episodes of Steven Fry's Quite Interesting on his laptop. When it came time to leave, it felt like my heart would break it was so full of emotion from the time we'd had together.

In terms of satisfying the obsessive beast in me, I have spent a lot of time on a soundtrack project and have renewed my interest in genealogy research. It seems the site https://familysearch.org/ has a lot more info than the last time I was researching. I've been able to go 3 or 4 generations further back on the line I'm working on. It is like a puzzle to me but with more human interest to be gleaned amongst the dry bits of info from census, birth, and death records than Angry Birds or Bejeweled provides. :-) I had my first genuinely happy moment in quite a while when I dug deep enough to find the name of one ancestor's father. Woo hoo... one more generation achieved. :-)

In honor of Veteran's Day, I'll post a page of the photo book I did about my Dad who served in WWII.

Now I'll hit "post reply" and catch up on the news from the rest of you.

and gramma... I LOVE that song by 10 Years After. They don't sing like that anymore, do they?

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Mar
Gondor

Nov 11 2011, 5:36pm

Post #49 of 243 (1910 views)
Shortcut
We'll all do our best to keep the noise down too ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2011, 5:36pm

Post #50 of 243 (1902 views)
Shortcut
*clink* [In reply to] Can't Post

*raises celebratory milkshake*

‎"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."
--George R.R. Martin

Mozart and Chocolate
The College Student's List
Tolkien and Taters
Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.