Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Flower on earth, now as a Hosta,

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 8 2007, 8:14pm

Post #1 of 11 (348 views)
Shortcut
Flower on earth, now as a Hosta, Can't Post

but back in Middle-earth what flower could it have been? Maybe it was a Niphredil or a Simbelmyne or perhaps the flower from the tree Lairelosse?

This was blooming two weeks ago between the deck and the dock under a small bushy red maple and we took many pictures in different lights of early morning both my wife and i. The beauty of this flower is extraordinary. Now that i can post pictures, i am able to share this lovely wonder.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of ManwŰ let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of ManwŰ S˙limo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8 2007, 9:42pm

Post #2 of 11 (205 views)
Shortcut
A white Hosta? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, mine are all purple! That's lovely bloom.

And I'd say it's a related to niphredil, which Tolkien described in Letter #312 as "a delicate kin of a snowdrop". Close enough!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2007, 11:34pm

Post #3 of 11 (194 views)
Shortcut
We have a hosta with white blooms... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just haunt the nursery catalogs!

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2007, 6:59pm

Post #4 of 11 (183 views)
Shortcut
I have one that looks very much like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's past it's bloom-time now. But I have several that have never bloomed, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. They look healthy enough, as long as the deer don't find them.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

orcbane
Gondor

Sep 9 2007, 9:51pm

Post #5 of 11 (181 views)
Shortcut
Nice Light [In reply to] Can't Post

I could imagine it in Lothlorian or Doriath

White Gull
Lorien

Sep 10 2007, 1:03pm

Post #6 of 11 (196 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* That's lovely. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's probably large for a blossom from the white tree, but it surely would belong in middle-earth!

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2007, 1:43am

Post #7 of 11 (168 views)
Shortcut
Ooo! [In reply to] Can't Post

A purple one sounds intriguing tooSmile.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

By El~Cugu

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2007, 1:49am

Post #8 of 11 (173 views)
Shortcut
Our's is pretty spent now. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was sure to get out each morning to try a shot or two.

I do not know enough from the flower world to know why something does not bloom. I have that situation with some of my lilacs.

By El~Cugu

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2007, 1:53am

Post #9 of 11 (169 views)
Shortcut
I found that too early [In reply to] Can't Post

and yellow a light washed out the flower. It was the whiter light i think that really sets off a white flower.

By El~Cugu

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 11 2007, 1:58am

Post #10 of 11 (187 views)
Shortcut
On first sight [In reply to] Can't Post

it takes your breath doesn't it. The lines of this flower only continue to grow with time.

I am glad you like it:).

By El~Cugu

Lossefalme
Gondor

Oct 4 2007, 1:28pm

Post #11 of 11 (213 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're all glad you learned how to post pictures, Sil! Wink

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.