The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Discuss the The Hobbit presentation from DragonCon 2007

calisuri
PTB

Sep 8 2007, 1:21pm

Post #1 of 13 (5489 views)
Shortcut
Discuss the The Hobbit presentation from DragonCon 2007 Can't Post

Now that the presentation is online for all to see, discuss it right here!

You can view the Presentation at the following URL:

http://www.theonering.net/thehobbit07.html

The Mysterious Calisuri

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2007, 2:37pm

Post #2 of 13 (4229 views)
Shortcut
Cast speculation [In reply to] Can't Post

It was fun hearing the audiences' reaction to some of the cast rumors, especially Tom Cruise (noooo!) as Bard. I seriously hope he doesn't use his influence to worm his way into this, but if he must he can play one of the Dwarves. IF Sam Raimi does direct I could even see Bruce Campbell in the role.

My vote for Martin Freeman as Bilbo hasn't changed; I may even have to start a petition:

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

(This post was edited by deej on Sep 8 2007, 2:38pm)

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 8 2007, 2:51pm

Post #3 of 13 (4171 views)
Shortcut
MF really does look the part, doesn't he? [In reply to] Can't Post

And he'd be sweet and bumbling, as Bilbo needs to be. You have my vote! And I think whoever suggested Alan Rickman as the voice of Smaug was bang on! Perfect! I quite fancy Clive Owen as Bard, personally... Or maybe I just quite fancy Clive Owen... Actually I'd love to see Nathan Fillion in it but I'm not sure I'd be convinced by him as Bard. Maybe... Or the Beorn cameo for the extended editions??

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 8 2007, 3:08pm

Post #4 of 13 (4179 views)
Shortcut
man, those three idiots who presented it... oops, did I say that outloud?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue Actually it was an excellent panel. I knew it would be great fun but I must confess I had my doubts as to how informative it would be, given that in theory it wasn't saying anything new for those of us who have been following closely at TORn. (And yes, I even read in great detail that article about Bruce Hopkins and his case against NL!) However, I should never have doubted the PTB! It was actually very enlightening to see everything brought together in a chronological order, and the facts were clarified by seeing them assembled in that manner. It helped me to see how the film industry works, seeing comments made and quickly retracted! The recent shift in Bob Shaye's stance was made VERY clear, and that made me more hopeful that we may yet see a PJ Hobbit. The pressure is on NL from all quarters - so I think it may happen.

The 'PJ as producer, Sam Raimi to direct' idea is interesting and highly plausible. If Fran/Philippa/PJ write the script and PJ oversees things, then I would still expect an excellent film even with a different director - especially as the door would be open for WETA's involvement, and if PJ were producer I'm sure Sir Ian, Andy S, etc. would return. So we may well see the film we're hoping for! I'm still holding out for PJ directing, but if we can return to the ME of the LotR films (ie NZ!), even with a different director, I'll be happy. And now, following TORn's panel, I really feel that this will happen sooner rather than later. I have more of an understanding (I think) of how the wheels are turning in the 'biz' and how many people want this film made - to make them money of course, but that's OK. I also think folks will be anxious to make the movie before the LotR 'craze' dies away too much - as they may perceive that it will. So I think by the end of 2008 something will be definite and filming may be about to start - if it hasn't started already. (Oh wait, that was 'principal photography begins in 2 years, six months and three days' - or was it three months and six days?!)

I've also just got to say - genuinely - how impressed I was by the computer presentation. OK I'm a computer idiot and maybe it wasn't at all impressive to anyone else, but I just thought the images were so great, and I couldn't believe how quickly and easy you three chaps put it together. I LOVED that little bouncing Bilbo, and the Gandalf which arrived in a shower of sparkles was very cool! Maybe I'm easily pleased but it looked great! And visual aids always make it much easier to follow what is being said, and to put a coherent timeline together. That, coupled with your easy banter and some great jokes - and of course the genuine enthusiasm you all have for all things Tolkien - made for a most entertaining hour. (It was also great to see all those boxes which contained the 'Make the Hobbit happen' petition! Wow!) Bravi tutti! You guys were fab. I thought TORn did an excellent job and I look forward to seeing whatever their panel is next year at DCon.

(And hey, what genius came up with that 'Beorn again' joke? That was SURELY the highlight of the hour...) Tongue Sly

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2007, 3:39pm

Post #5 of 13 (4124 views)
Shortcut
One thing I miss about reading the presentation here... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is not hearing Calisuri making those little 'blips' when Bilbo moves across the screen. Smile

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Sep 8 2007, 7:00pm

Post #6 of 13 (4104 views)
Shortcut
My favorite part . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside from the witty and talented trio who added humorous (in their own minds) and salient (own minds again) points was during the second version of the presentation when an audience member speculated on how Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi's infamous car would make an appearance in the film.

Lots of ideas were bounded around the room but the best idea I heard was having some portion of the car stick out of the treasure mound that Smaug accumulated in his mountain lair.

The idea of that alone makes me want Raimi to direct! It ticked me in just the right way.

I do think the presentation was better live with commentary and boos and cheers and questions and comments and fans. I wonder if DragonCon would want TORn back? I would think so but I hope they hear from concerned citizens of TORn and Laketown and fandom at large.

Blah blah blah blah . . . Tongue

If we live in trying times, we must be the ones who try. If the future is looking dark, we must be the ones who shine.

Elven
Valinor

Sep 8 2007, 8:55pm

Post #7 of 13 (4063 views)
Shortcut
I wish I had been there ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The presentation on the web looks great, I like the chronolgy - It reminds me not only how fast time has passed, but this year especially, with all the Hobbit commentary flying around.
How many frames are there in the presentaion?
I got to the 2007 time line and the frames just kept repreating two of them over and over at the end.

Thanks for letting those who couldnt attend an insight to what we would otherwise have not seen - much appreciated!!

Elven x

SILVERCHAIRS Daniel Johns gets the crowd going at the 'Big Day Out Festival' at Minas Tirith before Denethors famous stage dive.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 9 2007, 1:49pm

Post #8 of 13 (4062 views)
Shortcut
Live! Massively Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's nothing better than interaction with others who are fans with their incredible ideas and comments!

I've already been pelting DragonCon with raves for the Tolkien Tracks. I'm so glad the efforts of our sibbies and others saved this! It would have been wonderful if others related to the films could have been there. I was so sad Sean Astin had to pull out; but others like Daniel Reeve, Bruce Hopkins (Gamling), Christian Rivers (for instance) would have really expanded the program and reminded people of the impact Jackson's The Lord of the Rings has had on films and Tolkien's World.

Next year. Just watch!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

calisuri
PTB

Sep 9 2007, 6:38pm

Post #9 of 13 (4019 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the positive comments about the presentation. I can't take a lot of the credit for the great visuals though - that is all the ingenius of Apple computer and their Keynote software.

The Mysterious Calisuri

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 9 2007, 10:55pm

Post #10 of 13 (4030 views)
Shortcut
do you get commission for mentioning them?! [In reply to] Can't Post

You should! Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 10 2007, 2:39pm

Post #11 of 13 (4068 views)
Shortcut
*rerun of original applause* [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a good turnout! And the audience was very involved, imho (compared to the track I was at before this one).

I was SO impressed with your presentation! Going into it, I was expecting discussion, but not a very slick, clean, contemporary-looking slide show! It was SO easy to follow and fun to watch.

I was delighted with the simple breakdown of the evolution and timeline of The Hobbit... right up to the current situation. Very clear and thorough. I also liked the reaction from the audience. I couldn't see behind me, but I could hear little murmurs and ooos/ahhhs as some of the slides would pop up.

Re: the timeline graphic. I loved the little travelling Bilbo. It was SO appropriate that he was moving from right to left as the entire Fellowship did throughout LotR ;)

Then the pics of the locations and speculations started. That was fun! The questions throughout the presentation proved that much of the audience had a good idea of what was going on and what was at stake.

As others have said, I laughed at the audience's reaction when Tom Cruise's pic came up as a possible cast member. NO WAY! Unless..... do you think they'll ever need to use the pantomime pony in this film? Heads or tails?

I was flabberghasted at Lith's petition! You had boxes and boxes and boxes of the printed petition right there in front of us! What a journey she's been on! I remember signing that when it first came out... and I applaude her perseverence and fortitude. She's a force to be reckoned with... and is, thankfully, our voice to New Line. One person CAN make a difference... and I salute her!

Sideshow, as always, was so generous to offer some of the great prizes.

Most of all, I SO enjoyed seeing MrCere, Calisuri, Lith, and you on stage. I just oooze with pride whenever I see TORn in action and thank my lucky stars for the opportunity to be a part of it. *bows deeply* Thank you, Calisuri, and all of our Admins (*points at MrC*) for giving us this awesome community and keeping the flame alive!

Cheers!

sample sample

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 10 2007, 2:42pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 10 2007, 2:56pm

Post #12 of 13 (4033 views)
Shortcut
pic of panel setting up [In reply to] Can't Post

Calisuri, MrCere, Corvar before Lith arrived. D'oh Calisuri...I don't know WHY I had it in my head that Corvar posted this! Another gramma moment. *sigh*

Those boxes in front of MrCere hold the petition!!!

sample sample

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 10 2007, 2:58pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 11 2007, 9:46am

Post #13 of 13 (4040 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* I have to admit... [In reply to] Can't Post

that was WAY COOL! :D

The excitement our panel-populators had for the topic was contagious. I wish we'd had more time!

sample sample

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.