New Hobbit vlog up now
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Lissuin
Valinor

Nov 4 2011, 7:17pm

Post #151 of 234 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Tricky-woo [In reply to] Can't Post

was a very spoiled pet with an over-indulgent and over-protective owner on the BBC TV series from the 80's "All Creatures Great and Small" about a veterinarian practice in Yorkshire.

LordElrond
Rivendell

Nov 4 2011, 7:17pm

Post #152 of 234 (1517 views)
Shortcut
amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo at the top of the trees was perfect but I thought the leaves of mirkwood were suppose to be dark green not autumn color, not that it matters at all. Everything looks to be as good as I could possibly expect it to be. I'm guessing the pine tree set is them filming 'out of the frying pan into the fire'? I simply cannot wait for these two movies!

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Nov 4 2011, 7:30pm

Post #153 of 234 (1542 views)
Shortcut
Exactly...... [In reply to] Can't Post

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 4 2011, 7:51pm

Post #154 of 234 (1478 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo climbs an oak tree [In reply to] Can't Post

Oak trees change color in the fall (which is when Bilbo and the dwarves are in Mirkwood).

(This post was edited by duats on Nov 4 2011, 7:52pm)

Finrod
Rohan

Nov 4 2011, 8:07pm

Post #155 of 234 (1405 views)
Shortcut
surprised by joy [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny how it was the rising theme music of the Fellowship, last heard in full during Moria, that finally brought tears to my eyes.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 8:25pm

Post #156 of 234 (1379 views)
Shortcut
It's okay, I was just joking! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 8:34pm

Post #157 of 234 (1499 views)
Shortcut
The Figwit thingy is full of all kinds of awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

From numerous fans noticing the same extra independently from each other to PJ bringing him back for RotK just for us and giving him lines. It really was a Crowning Moment of Awesome and Heartwarming for PJ. I can't get over what an incredible guy he is.

However, to me them indentifying "Figwit" as the canon charatcer Lindir just crowns it all. The fandom's collateral love for an extra has potentially given him something more substancial to do and most importantly placed him on the pages of the book too.

Oh, and as much as I love Figwit, I sort of don't like the name - it's not Elvish and doesn't even look like it was. Such things irritate my geeky soul. But Lindir is a very pretty name and includes a joke about Brett's profession ("singer").

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 4 2011, 8:35pm

Post #158 of 234 (1416 views)
Shortcut
Is a date given? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is a date given? I know it was September while they were in Laketown, but that was after sitting in the elf-dungeon for a length of time. In any case, the relevant passage does describe the view as "a sea of dark green".

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 8:46pm

Post #159 of 234 (1379 views)
Shortcut
Oh, whoops [In reply to] Can't Post

I misread the Faenoriel's post or got it confused with another post, sorry Blush

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 8:46pm

Post #160 of 234 (1389 views)
Shortcut
Read the original fairy tales before 20th Century. They're horrifid [In reply to] Can't Post

Either they were written with the intention of scaring the kids to not to behave badly, or the people back then had really different standards of cuteness.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 8:50pm

Post #161 of 234 (1424 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps they just couldn't resist the temptation [In reply to] Can't Post

to give him a part in such a memoriable scene as the spider fight.

Oh, and wellcome!

mutelock
Bree

Nov 4 2011, 8:50pm

Post #162 of 234 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if that's Bret McKenzie [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like him, it looks like Figwit from ROTK, but there's something different about the face. Sure, the guy looks completly different without his beard and tangled hair... But, could it be his body double or something?

Love Alan Lee and John Howe. Good God! Cool

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 4 2011, 8:52pm

Post #163 of 234 (1422 views)
Shortcut
"Fairies are bad, m'kay? " [In reply to] Can't Post

"Faerie is whack, so watch your back!"
-19th Century PSA.

How many months to Hobbiton?
Four and ten.
Can I get there by candle-light?
Yes, there and back again.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 8:54pm

Post #164 of 234 (1383 views)
Shortcut
It's been suggested he's actually Lindir [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point about them being already cut from the tree. I really wish they keep that part. Just imagine yourself hanging from spiderwebs like those poor flies and butterflies... Being on the ground at least gives you some comfort of being on familiar terrain where you can try to roll or crawl.

Marillė by the Sea
Rivendell

Nov 4 2011, 9:21pm

Post #165 of 234 (1369 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they over-saturated the treetops [In reply to] Can't Post

Like they did with the forest and the dwarves' facial makeup.

Snulle
Bree

Nov 4 2011, 9:30pm

Post #166 of 234 (1414 views)
Shortcut
Beorn or Smaug? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What is that giant blurred-out maquette in the background at 08:32 Smile?

I was curious about this too and I tried to see if I could make the maquette more clearer. I played around a little with the colors and lights and came up with this.

For me it looks like some sort of creature. May it be Beorn in bearform, the Goblinking or even Smaug curled up?

http://i39.tinypic.com/21ajwd1.jpg

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 4 2011, 9:41pm

Post #167 of 234 (1307 views)
Shortcut
As an old Gardener, myself...YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

So excited to see the Shooting of that..

One More Test
For,
their.... Burglar
xoxoOB

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Nov 4 2011, 9:43pm

Post #168 of 234 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Dean O'Gorman? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've watched it a few times now, and I swear that every single shot that has Fili in it shows Rob Kazinsky, not Dean O'Gorman who replaced him early in the shoot.

Can anyone verify? I can't believe they would have shot that much footage before replacing Kazinsky, but in every shot where Fili is visible (including the very first shot of the vlog, the spiders, and the journey up the hill), that looks like Kazinsky rather than O'Gorman, whose face is longer and less 'square', and who has a bigger nose and larger eyes.

So now I'm thinking, what did they do about that? If this is true that means that the unexpected party, the adventure in Rivendell, the episode with the spiders, heck, the whole thing in Mirkwood, was shot with a different actor playing Fili than they ended up with. How are they going to fix that? That's a hell of a lot of footage to digitally alter so Kazinsky turns into O'Gorman!

A few very nice shots of Kili, though! :-)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 10:12pm

Post #169 of 234 (1295 views)
Shortcut
It looks O'Gorman to me...? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much identical to the Fili featured in the pic alongside Kili of the Seven Fingers and the Scowl of Gloom.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

IDLookout
Rivendell

Nov 4 2011, 10:14pm

Post #170 of 234 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Wow, I hope not [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see ANY point in veering away so greatly from Tolkien's storyline to allow him at the Spider Fight.

They could do a back and forth between Thorin & the elves, and the rest of the dwarves and the spiders.

To me, this is one scene where Bilbo "grows." He tackles the spiders head on. There's no Thorin to cut down first to take over, just Bilbo alone.

Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
He's only three feet tall.
The bravest little hobbit of them all.

-Leonard Nimoy

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 10:22pm

Post #171 of 234 (1328 views)
Shortcut
He might be tied up with the others, and Bilbo saves the day, then they fight some more spiders together. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or at least I hope so Smile

IDLookout
Rivendell

Nov 4 2011, 10:24pm

Post #172 of 234 (1264 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

But if that happens, Thorin will be in charge and not Bilbo. That's the part that will disappoint me if it happens. Same thing with similar "character building" scenes with Frodo in LOTR. Just because they CAN change something, doesn't mean they should.

-Leonard Nimoy

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 10:30pm

Post #173 of 234 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Both Rob and Dean [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure it's Rob in the Rivendell scene where they're scared by something (it kills me to not to know what it is!) In the first scene in the pine forest, that looks like Dean. In Mirkwood, at some angles it looks like Rob, at some other points it's like Dean, so go figure.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 10:34pm

Post #174 of 234 (1257 views)
Shortcut
That's how I see it too [In reply to] Can't Post

It's entirely plausible for Thorin to get lost from the others in the middle of after the spider battle. It could make it even worse, because they've just encountered these Dwarf-eating giant spiders, and afterwards notice that Thorin is missing... Makes it all the more terrifying for them.

IDLookout
Rivendell

Nov 4 2011, 10:52pm

Post #175 of 234 (1230 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

lol - i'm still against it. My thought on it is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Smile

-Leonard Nimoy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.