Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
" The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy" one book to rule them all

Ceilidh

Sep 8 2007, 1:48am

Post #1 of 9 (199 views)
Shortcut
" The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy" one book to rule them all Can't Post

edited by Gregory Bassman and Eric Bronson. I mentioned this book to several of my new friends at the Woot Moot and said I'd send the information. it's a book of essays by various "deep thinkers" of our times. all the authors are Tolkien fans. it was an interesting read and added another level to the books.
still groovin' on my memories of the fun at D*C.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 8 2007, 4:28am

Post #2 of 9 (129 views)
Shortcut
Is it true that Kenny Rogers is one of the "deep thinkers" there cited? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://calimac.livejournal.com/2006/01/16/

Although Rivendell's "perfumed mountains" may just find some support in comments published in the new issue of Parma Eldalamberon: if the Valar and Maiar have a particular fragrance, perhaps the elves likewise, as Bilbo seems to suggest in The Hobbit?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discuss The Children of Húrin in the Reading Room, June 11-October 14.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8 2007, 12:13pm

Post #3 of 9 (99 views)
Shortcut
Well, since Bilbo did say [In reply to] Can't Post

when he first entered Rivendell: "Hmmm! it smells like Elves!", that would seem to indicate some specific olfactory sensation unique to that venue, hopefully a pleasant one.

But rather than the "mountains" of Rivendell, it should be the "valley", tra-la-la-lally, shouldn't it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 8 2007, 1:25pm

Post #4 of 9 (115 views)
Shortcut
It's not as bad as that review implies [In reply to] Can't Post

As someone who has read a good deal of Tolkien criticism and analysis over the years, I still can't call myself a Tolkien "scholar". And yet this book is nowhere near as bad as "Calimac" makes out. Who is Calimac and why is he an expert?

It's definately a "philosophy light" book, an introductory level book about popular culture as viewed and interpreted through different philosophical concepts. So yes, the essays are rather like quick term papers than doctoral theses. Absolutely. The book's in a series entitled "Popular Culture and Philosophy", and can only be but so weighty in nature or tone. There is a chapter that quotes the text of Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler" ("you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run") in a discussion of the Elves presence and absence from ME and essentially an explanation of the existentialist movement in Europe and WWII, if I remember correctly from glancing through just now. It's the lyrics, not the man, that are quoted.

I received this book as a Christmas present (I believe) and read it without expecting too much, and yet I did find interesting discussion about free will, the nature of evil, and even existentialism. While this book doesn't approach my top 20, and can't perhaps be called Tolkien "scholarship" (whatever that may be), and may even have errors from a philosophy expert's POV (I dunno, I'm not one), it's not a bad book if read for introduction to philosophical concepts as seen in interpretation of popular cultural phenomenon.

Which is, after all, its stated purpose!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"I can manage it," said Frodo. "I must."

Ceilidh

Sep 8 2007, 3:59pm

Post #5 of 9 (99 views)
Shortcut
not neccessarily agreeing with everthing in this book [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy reading many different views on most any subject. I found the book to get my gears whirling and think thru things for myself. I agree that it is "philosophy lite" and it still was worth the time spent. to me.
off to think deep thoughts ;->

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2007, 6:42pm

Post #6 of 9 (84 views)
Shortcut
Would that be Kenny Rogers the singer, or Kenny Rogers the pitcher?// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 8 2007, 8:03pm

Post #7 of 9 (84 views)
Shortcut
I look forward to reading it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Eventually.
Thanks for the recommendation!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Discuss The Children of Húrin in the Reading Room, June 11-October 14.

luinfalathiel
Lorien

Sep 10 2007, 10:33am

Post #8 of 9 (60 views)
Shortcut
Obviously Elves smell like strawberry bubble bath. Duh!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Follow my Korean adventures!
http://simulflow.vox.com

Grishnakh: Let’s put a larva-puncture in its belly.
http://pounce.skew.org/lotr/meetingtreebeard

the eye of luinfalathiel

the eye of luinfalathiel

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 11 2007, 10:03am

Post #9 of 9 (79 views)
Shortcut
Or pine-scented hair cream // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.