Ezu
The Shire

Nov 4 2011, 5:48am

Post #1 of 234 (7660 views)
Shortcut
New Hobbit vlog up now Can't Post

3D!

Here's the link

(This post was edited by Eledhwen on Nov 4 2011, 7:48am)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 5:58am

Post #2 of 234 (4517 views)
Shortcut
*bursts into tears* [In reply to] Can't Post

Yesss! Watching it atm!

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 4 2011, 6:16am

Post #3 of 234 (4369 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

We need a screen-cap of Martin Freeman at 4:43. Pronto.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 6:21am

Post #4 of 234 (4444 views)
Shortcut
Okay, watched it. So many new scenes! [In reply to] Can't Post

All the info about 3D was really interesting, but I can't help but to me spazzing over all the scenes we got a glimpse of.

* Bilbo opening his front door and the Dwarves falling on the floor (have to check if Thorin is on the bottom of the Dwarf pile when rewatching!)

* Dwarves arriving into Rivendell between pretty Elven statues, and later on being scared by something in Rivendell.

* Elrond reading the Map (or so it seemt to me, has to check this one too.)

* Bilbo and Dwarves running in the pine forest in the eastern side of the Misty Mountains, apparently being attacked by Goblins. I'm happy they kept the look of the forest and the whole enviroment as it was described in the book, as the description came from Tolkien's own memories of hiking in the Alps.

* MIRKWOOD! Yes it's a bit over the top, but as they said it's going to be so dark it has to be such to get any idea what it's like.

* Bilbo sitting on the tree top, looking out. The oak he's sitting on is in its yellow autumn colours. Nice touch! Usually the artwork of their journey through Mirkwood pictures the forest being in its summer splendour, but indeed its autumn. How are they going to fit this with the real location shots they take? It's all green out there.

* Spider web! And Dwarves being covered in it! Notice: they aren't hanging from trees, but lying on the ground. Hmmm... I would have liked them hanging, but perhaps there's a reason for this change. Perhaps it's to allow the spiders be of a smaller statue.

It was nice to see a bit of Martin's acting. Also notice Gandalf charging towards the cameras, armed with Glamdring! Then there were some new costumes, and the best of all...

John Howe and Alan Lee! Oh they were adorable. Heart They've aged, especially Alan. But just look at them. Drawing 3D concept art with 3D classes on, looking positively adorkable.

Brb, rewatching it. More comments may follow.

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Nov 4 2011, 6:21am)

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 4 2011, 6:29am

Post #5 of 234 (4263 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a good thing they made a point to explain the reasons behind Mirkwood's colorfulness. Otherwise we would have had people freaking out about how it looks more like something out of Alice in Wonderland.

(This post was edited by duats on Nov 4 2011, 6:29am)

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 4 2011, 6:30am

Post #6 of 234 (4262 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't forget the shot of Gandalf scratching the sign on Bilbo's door.

And I believe I saw a shot of what looks like Thranduil's wine cellars.

(This post was edited by duats on Nov 4 2011, 6:38am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 4 2011, 6:35am

Post #7 of 234 (4379 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, lots of interesting stuff in here! *Spoilers, obviously* [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite bit:

"Are we having fun?"
"Yaaaaayyyyy...."

At 5:02, I think we are seeing the tip of Gandalf's staff making the mark on Bilbo's beautiful green front door! Looks like it might be Gandalf's "G" rune to me.

At 5:13, I loled at the skull wearing glasses...are those 3D or just sunglasses?

At 5:17 and at 8:22 we see some Elvish-looking statues, and in the second shot we are getting some interesting defensive action from the dwarves. Part of the "unfriendly" welcome to Rivendell, I fancy.

I think 5:30 might be a reaction shot to the white stag in Mirkwood, with Bilbo looking awed and Thorin shooting an arrow.

Nori's hairdo is looking a little the worse for wear in a few shots, especially at 5:50 and 7:03

I loved watching Alan Lee and John Howe working together in 3D...I wish I had some glasses here so I can see the art that way....for those who do, how does it look?

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 6:37am

Post #8 of 234 (4278 views)
Shortcut
I didn't notice the rubbing [In reply to] Can't Post

but I did see the wine cellars, and immediately though of Thranduil.

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 4 2011, 6:37am

Post #9 of 234 (4169 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil's wine cellar? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you go to 3:14, you see a bunch of wine barrels in what looks like a cave.

Thranduil's wine cellar perhaps?

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 4 2011, 6:38am

Post #10 of 234 (4267 views)
Shortcut
I don't know what it is [In reply to] Can't Post

But something about Gandalf just looks... better.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 4 2011, 6:40am

Post #11 of 234 (3936 views)
Shortcut
He's younger, you know. ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 6:41am

Post #12 of 234 (4224 views)
Shortcut
Nori's hair is looking better and better :D [In reply to] Can't Post

While I was rewatching vlog 3 earlier today and though about how normal the eccentric Dwarves look to me by now, I must admit Nori's hair is looking better when he's having a bad hair day. It's pretty fabulous!

Yes, the white stag scene came to my mind too! With Bilbo looking all awestruck, and Thorin trying to shoot something at the same direction. I've been wishing they keep the deer incident, complete with the doe and the fawn. There's just something so fairy taleish about it. Let's hope they also keep the distant Elven voices: the sounds of the hunt, and the laughter. I love those things.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 6:42am

Post #13 of 234 (4031 views)
Shortcut
He's less stressed and has a nasty Scarf of Asskicking? // [In reply to] Can't Post

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 4 2011, 6:45am

Post #14 of 234 (4118 views)
Shortcut
I would just like to say [In reply to] Can't Post

That Bilbo's robe is hysterical.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 4 2011, 6:45am

Post #15 of 234 (4076 views)
Shortcut
I like his hair messed up too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I expect the dwarves will look increasingly disheveled until they arrive at Laketown, looking anything but fit to tackle a dragon. Smile

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 4 2011, 6:47am

Post #16 of 234 (3996 views)
Shortcut
It reminded me of [In reply to] Can't Post

the Sixth Doctor's coat....maybe Sylvester McCoy lent it to him from the TARDIS wardrobe. Laugh

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 4 2011, 6:49am

Post #17 of 234 (4061 views)
Shortcut
The question is... [In reply to] Can't Post

What is that giant blurred-out maquette in the background at 08:32 Smile?

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 6:56am

Post #18 of 234 (4080 views)
Shortcut
First I was all 0_o ......Then I was all :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It could be partly due to the 3D requiring wierd colours to look good on the final product etc, but I'm really getting the vibe they're intentionaly going for a "slightly off" or "a bit more than in reality" feeling. That they're trying to express the whimsical fairy tale feeling of the story and the narration in the visuals.

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 4 2011, 6:58am

Post #19 of 234 (4024 views)
Shortcut
I'm perfectly fine with it [In reply to] Can't Post

But I imagine it might be a bit much for some people.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 6:58am

Post #20 of 234 (4083 views)
Shortcut
The Lonely Mountain or Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

By the shape of it.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 6:59am

Post #21 of 234 (3925 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it will probably rub some people the wrong way. // [In reply to] Can't Post

duats
Grey Havens

Nov 4 2011, 7:02am

Post #22 of 234 (4251 views)
Shortcut
As disappointed as I am... [In reply to] Can't Post

About Thorin having a short beard, I admit that he looks pretty good at 06:57.

Looks very intense.

(This post was edited by duats on Nov 4 2011, 7:02am)

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Nov 4 2011, 7:03am

Post #23 of 234 (3984 views)
Shortcut
WOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everytime I see on of these videos I get more and more excited about it! Seeing Peter happy now and all the old gang together is a dream come true for me! And perhaps they have a spare RED camera to borrow? I could use one.Wink

the user formerly known as "Legos"

Power can be held in the smallest of things...

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2011, 7:03am

Post #24 of 234 (4039 views)
Shortcut
He's standing straighter and walking with more ease. [In reply to] Can't Post

You indeed do notice there's something different and "younger", but it's first hard to put your finger on it. I'm glad they've found such a simple and subtle yet effective way to make Gandalf different yet still the same.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 4 2011, 7:05am

Post #25 of 234 (4187 views)
Shortcut
The three things that've made my day are... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Gandalf etching his G rune onto Bilbo's beautiful green door.

2. Bilbo looking out above the trees in Mirkwood (YAY! I'm sure we'll get to see the Black Emperors).

3. Thorin shooting an arrow at what can only be the white stag (YAY! We get to see the white stag).

Oh! Also some other perks.

I was excited to see Jabez Olsen and Tamy Lane again *does happy dance (while seated) for returning crew*

I also spotted a stately Elf being dressed in a beautiful purple robe

YAY YAY YAY!

Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.