Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 20 2011, 3:18pm

Post #1 of 48 (1293 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Hello, Fellow Travelers!

I'm on the go this morning (well, it's morning where I am, anyway!), so I'll post mileages a bit later today. But don't let that stop you! How's the view from where you are? Sunny? Cloudy? Green? Indoor? Aquatic? Do tell, do tell!

Catch you all later (well, maybe not - I don't run fast!),
Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge: http://newboards.theonering.net/...um.cgi?=post=392431;
Helpful activity conversion charts: http://newboards.theonering.net/...rum.cgi?post=392446;
http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm
Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards (courtesy of grammaboodawg): http://newboards.theonering.net/...rum.cgi?post=392398;
Learn about the Walk to Rivendell/Éowyn Challenge: http://www.eowynchallenge.net
Éowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles: http://careydigitalstudio.com/...esdatabase/login.php

If you use the Éowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

The Éowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness walk that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Éowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Oct 24 2011, 4:07pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 20 2011, 4:03pm

Post #2 of 48 (901 views)
Shortcut
Sunny and cold here [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we're skipping fall again this year. My body is going into hibernation mode for winter and I had a lazy week. Still managed to add 11.3 miles, but I skipped 3 days of exercise Crazy

Miles this week: 11.3
Cumulative miles: 115 miles

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?
Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013
Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

sherlock
Gondor

Oct 20 2011, 4:45pm

Post #3 of 48 (839 views)
Shortcut
It's sunny, windy [In reply to] Can't Post

& chilly here today. Perfect walking weather, in my opinion. I will probably walk to the dog park after work. Can't wait!

Nightingale
Rohan

Oct 20 2011, 5:13pm

Post #4 of 48 (930 views)
Shortcut
The flu goes ever on and on... [In reply to] Can't Post

Down from the campus, whence it began.
Now far advanced the 'flu's become
And I must survive if I can!

Have been struck down with 'Freshers Flu' this week, even though I am not a first year student. So the tally is rather low.
Much better than I was however, and looking forward to clocking up some serious miles this week. Smile
Proper autumn weather here in the UK, but with some lovely crisp mornings which make me want to travel - just like Frodo in autumntime.

Miles this week: 3
Cumulative: 15

NottaSackville
Valinor

Oct 20 2011, 6:01pm

Post #5 of 48 (840 views)
Shortcut
ohhh - you feel better soon, I hope! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

NottaSackville
Valinor

Oct 20 2011, 6:04pm

Post #6 of 48 (910 views)
Shortcut
Fall is coming... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nottalotta miles for me this week, but the big work deadline is past and my cold is nearly over. So hopefully I'll be ramping up soon - just in time to "enjoy" the cold, wet fall weather.

Miles this week: 9
Challenge so far: 47.8

In my own walk, I'm still heading towards Minas Tirith with Gandalf & Pippen - no new milestones this week.

Notta

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 20 2011, 10:52pm

Post #7 of 48 (889 views)
Shortcut
It's nasty rainy cold and windy here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Michigan is catching a nor'eastern clocked as high as 51 mph! Lots of power outages, but not here in my little Shire :) I feel bad for the farmers who need dry fields to harvest their corn/soy/beet/etc crops. We had about 3 1/2 inches of rain in 2 days... so it'll be a while before the tractors can do their thing!

I did get a better bit of mileage going for a few day with "running" tests, walking to meetings across campus, and getting out on the road when the weather was nicer over the weekend. Then there's the exercise in front of the tv!

Hope everyone is having fun with their Quests!!! See you all on the road!

Miles this week: 19
Cumulated miles: 69

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 20 2011, 11:06pm

Post #8 of 48 (879 views)
Shortcut
T'is the season to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fall is finally moving into the coldsies here, too. It's hard to get excited about going outside when you have to dress in layers ;) Hang in there!!!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 20 2011, 11:08pm

Post #9 of 48 (825 views)
Shortcut
Now see.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The sun makes all the difference! :D Have a GREAT time with the park full of doggies :)

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 20 2011, 11:11pm

Post #10 of 48 (882 views)
Shortcut
Bummer. I'm sorry you're sick [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have to say I like your prose :D

There's a lot of sore throat, coughing, dragging going on here at my campus, too. You'd be surprised how many students don't have their warm coats from home yet... so it doesn't take long for the sickness to move through every office.

I hope you feel better very fast! :)

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 20 2011, 11:15pm

Post #11 of 48 (858 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* Nottalotta :D Fall has Fell [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you're feeling better! AND that you've gotten past a deadline! Things are looking up :D

Have you thought of what you're going to wear for Halloween?

Uh-oh... another deadline ;)

Hang in there!

sample

Unused Scenes

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2011, 3:42am

Post #12 of 48 (918 views)
Shortcut
With an apology to those of you for whom it is already Friday... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have mileages for this past week!

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles covered last week: 119.95
Cumulative miles: 553.95*

In keeping with the general mood this week, Bilbo and Company are traveling leisurely toward the Brandywine Bridge. Even our intrepid heroes have slow times - thankfully!

*Once again, our cumulative mileage has jumped this week (Wahoo!) - some of our posters were able to add some miles from previous weeks. Something about pedometers... Which is awesome!

Today was hectic, but I've had a more productive week than previously, so on balance, things are going okay. I just have to figure out a clown costume for my Hobbit and a Donna (companion from Doctor Who) costume for... see below for my Elf's new nick!

And I'm presently "quite close" to the Old Forest!

Miles covered this week: 18
Cumulative miles: 63
Goal: There and Back Again!

My Elf has decided on her own nick, so from now on, I'll be sharing...

Beamer's progress:

Miles covered this week: 14
Cumulative miles: 69
Goal: Group Challenge

She's reached the end of the Old Forest - and volleyball season, so she's working on some other types of activity to complement her dance classes!

Arandiel

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 21 2011, 9:40am

Post #13 of 48 (891 views)
Shortcut
Beamer!! Awesome!! [In reply to] Can't Post

WELCOME AGAIN BEAMER!! :D

What a busy week you're surrounded with! WOW!

We're 1/2 mile short of the 120 weekly goal. That's actually quite great considering how busy or ill so many of us are :) In fact... I think there's a weaver coming along that will put us over that official (so far) goal ;)

Cheers Arandiel, Beamer, and all! See you on the road!

sample

Unused Scenes

NottaSackville
Valinor

Oct 21 2011, 12:07pm

Post #14 of 48 (847 views)
Shortcut
We're just a day or so behind you [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of cold, wet, windy weather here in NY as well. This weekend is looking a bit drier for us, at least.

Enjoy getting that 'TV' exercise.

Notta

NottaSackville
Valinor

Oct 21 2011, 12:09pm

Post #15 of 48 (867 views)
Shortcut
I very nearly bought a woopie-cushion costume [In reply to] Can't Post

Which probably says a lot about me, none of which is complementary...

Notta

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 21 2011, 4:27pm

Post #16 of 48 (816 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG!!! I'd never guess!!!

sample

Unused Scenes

Annael
Immortal

Oct 21 2011, 4:50pm

Post #17 of 48 (892 views)
Shortcut
joining in late [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I joined way back in the day, but haven't updated in years.

I walk 15-20 miles every week, thanks to my doughty walking group that hits the trail at 8 a.m. five days a week, rain or shine, and friends who love to go hiking on weekends. So . . . what is that, a thousand miles a year? No wonder my walking shoes wear out so fast!

Did you know that walking at a 3.5 mph pace gives you all the benefits of jogging without the injuries?

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2011, 5:01pm

Post #18 of 48 (843 views)
Shortcut
Welcome (back)! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's never too (early) late! We all arrive precisely when we mean to.Wink

Your walking group sounds impressive - such dedication! What kind of terrain do you usually walk on?

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2011, 5:04pm

Post #19 of 48 (852 views)
Shortcut
Broken-up linkies [In reply to] Can't Post

I just realized I have broken links in The Scoop on the Walk. sigh.

I'll fix them up next week, so you don't have to hunt for info... web sites... mileage charts... Red October Tongue

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Oct 21 2011, 7:19pm

Post #20 of 48 (853 views)
Shortcut
can't believe I forgot to post! [In reply to] Can't Post

Argh, guess it shows how busy of a week it's been!

Anyway, I didn't get out and about as much this week, but did plenty of swimming and still feel pretty good about what I did. I'm hoping the weather holds and we can go on a nice leaf-peeping walk with my parents while they are visiting this weekend.

So, my totals:

This week: 22.1
Grand total: 172.1

Yay! And congrats to everybody else!

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Oct 21 2011, 7:24pm

Post #21 of 48 (864 views)
Shortcut
hibernation temptation! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear you on the tendency to hibernate Arwen's Daughter! I really struggle with it too, though it hasn't been cold enough here yet for me to shut down much. Last winter was the WORST. I'm hoping the swimming will help force me to be active this time around.

Anyway, keep up the good fight, and congrats on all you've accomplished so far!

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

ShyElf
Lorien

Oct 22 2011, 11:38pm

Post #22 of 48 (856 views)
Shortcut
Resident turtle chiming in.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I've been AWL - I am working a little extra to make up for all the sick time I had to take during the summer and for the appointments I still have to go to. My workplace has been AWESOME and supportive - I'm really lucky. But, I do feel I should give back.

However, I have been keeping track of my walking (even though it is nowhere near what you guys are doing!!!), but every mile counts.

Since my last visit: 5 miles
My total so far: 7.5 miles. Tongue

Cheers!

dillene

Oct 23 2011, 12:04am

Post #23 of 48 (846 views)
Shortcut
I'll pitch in, too. Lord knows I need the exercise. [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 23 2011, 1:07am

Post #24 of 48 (904 views)
Shortcut
Again, I made it to the rec center exactly once this week. [In reply to] Can't Post

Total this week: 7 miles
Cumulative: 101 miles

There is a light at the end of the remodeled tunnel. (And it's covered in drywall goo!) We have bottom cabinets in, floor tile, trim work and the walls were painted today! Still waiting on the granite countertops, then we'll get the back splash installed as well as the upper cabinets. It's starting to look fabulous! I'll have you all over for a big party when it's done! Laugh

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 23 2011, 1:09pm

Post #25 of 48 (876 views)
Shortcut
*eyebrows shoot up* 3.5? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a very hobbity number ;)

I didn't know that... and it really appeals to me since my poor joints can't take the impact of jogging. THANK YOU!

And WELCOME BACK!!! You really do have some figuring to do, don't ya? ;)

I think you've accomplished every one of those mileage charts a couple of times by now! I'm working on doing some charts to finish The Hobbit Quests. These on the Eowyn site stop after the Battle of Five Armies... so I'm just putting some together for us to play with. From the Lonely Mountain to Beorn's and then to Rivendell, and then from Rivendell to Bag End. We've also got some more postcard to send when we get to iconic areas.. with more coming ;)

Walk to Rivendell Postcards

It's so great to see you here :D

sample

Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.