Following the the making of The Hobbit
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 19 2011, 11:48am

Post #1 of 30 (1575 views)
Shortcut
Following the the making of The Hobbit Can't Post

I haven't been here in an 'age' Wink ...because I want to sit down in the cinema at the end of next year as The Hobbit opening titles begin, and for it all to be fresh, so that I'm completely blown away and not know a smidgen about how it was made.

So, I've been wondering whether those of you who've been following are glad of all you know so far, has there been too much information given, are there things you wish you hadn't seen/heard? Or am I missing out on all the anticipation!?

Artanis

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 19 2011, 2:08pm

Post #2 of 30 (1272 views)
Shortcut
I have been reserved in delving information. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am content with a piece here and a piece there. I am content that Peter 'n crew, 'n Shore too, with the grand 3-D ado will create Middle-earth anew in a fantasia of delight to fit the soul. The few bits of pieces just serve to entice the imagination to fly.

It will be, all i have to is wait in sweet anticipation.
And that's all i got to say about that.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Annael
Immortal

Oct 19 2011, 3:01pm

Post #3 of 30 (1263 views)
Shortcut
I'm definitely not as involved as I was for the making of LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

there I hungered for every scrap of rumor and eagerly took part in all the debates. I do think knowing what I knew actually helped me with the first-time viewings, because I was somewhat prepared for how the movies differed from the books.

But 10 years later I find the hysterical/angry tone of most of the discussions to be tedious, so I read the occasional News from Bree post and then scamper, for the most part. It will be what it will be. I wanted Martin Freeman for Bilbo, and I got it, so I relaxed a lot after that.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 19 2011, 3:02pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 19 2011, 3:32pm

Post #4 of 30 (1267 views)
Shortcut
I'm not as emotionally invested in The Hobbit as I am in LOTR. [In reply to] Can't Post

So the changes won't disturb me as much as they did with LOTR. (I do have a line drawn that I won't be happy if they cross it, but so far they've stayed well within the boundary. Heh...)

As with the LOTR movies, however, I am neither deliberately looking for info and photos nor deliberately avoiding them. I have never been one to worry about spoilers. To me, seeing what Smaug looks like before the movie comes out wouldn't be a spoiler anyway. I know Smaug is in the movie, so information about him is just details.

For the most part, I am happy with the look of things. I'm not thrilled by some stuff - I still hate that...thing...in Bifur's skull, I'm still a *little* concerned about the role of Tauriel, and etc. - but for the most part I am looking forward to these movies with more anticipation than dread. Say, a 90/10 anticipation to dread ratio, rather than 60/40 as it was for LOTR.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 19 2011, 4:29pm

Post #5 of 30 (1272 views)
Shortcut
This is how I am, too. But this is mostly because... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't love The Hobbit as much as I love LotR. It's Middle-earth, and I hope it will be even more inclusive of that world and what was going on in it than The Hobbit book is, but in the long run I'll not be as concerned about how it turns out, so I don't pay as much attention to all the bits of news. I absolutely do love the video blogs though, so that's how I'm most hyped.

Permanent address: Into the West

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Oct 19 2011, 5:58pm

Post #6 of 30 (1254 views)
Shortcut
I read the TORN home page but, that's about it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes I'll get on to the Hobbit Board but, I hardly ever post. I think I've posted tops five times on different subjects. And I also watch Hobbit in 5 when I can.

I wasn't around when LOTR was being filmed so, this is all new to me.TongueCool But, I will be watching the trailer (when it comes out) a billion times.Laugh It's just something I do. Lol.

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing they evidently prefer.

Who is that odd little fellow? - Saruman

"Oh, you're a villain all right, just not a SUPER one!" "Yeah? What's the difference?" "Presentation!"

(This post was edited by Gimli'sBox on Oct 19 2011, 5:58pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 19 2011, 6:52pm

Post #7 of 30 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Also, [In reply to] Can't Post

the first time around there was a lot of anxiety because the success of LOTR was such an unknown: Would this break New Line? How could such a complex book be made into a good film? Were LOTR fans going to be ridiculed by association when/if such a terrible movie hit the screens? Was the public ready for big fantasy? Just what was Peter Jackson going to do to our favourite book?

This time around we know, at least, that the movie won't stink. PJ and his crew will do a good job. Our worries are more specific (What is Tauriel going to do? How much of a role will Legolas have?) rather than a global anxiety.

Also, LOTR was my first love - I'm not as invested in The Hobbit. (Though I still want it to do really well!)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 19 2011, 8:04pm

Post #8 of 30 (1240 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not as emotionally invested in the The Hobbit as I am in LotR. I was generally happy with the LotR movies (well, there are certain details....) and so far The Hobbit looks good. I'm content to just glance around occasionally and see what's happening---the video blogs are great fun, for example---rather than hanging on every bit of news. I just hope that PJ doesn't overdo.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2011, 12:31am

Post #9 of 30 (1252 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't around back then... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can safely say I am much more invested in this than in LotR. The Hobbit is my favorite book, and LotR trails far behind in my book.

I followed this almost obsessively until the green light, and was glued to the screen during the July unveilings. Life has taken its toll, and I'm a little distraught lately... but I'm sure a stream of announcements would have me glued again (at least reading, if not furiously commenting in the forums again!)

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2011, 3:12am

Post #10 of 30 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Avoiding too many details [In reply to] Can't Post

Knowing too much would make it impossible for me to just watch and enjoy and that's what I want to do .... at least the first two or three times. Then I'll start digging for info....

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Gollum the Great
Rohan

Oct 20 2011, 4:59pm

Post #11 of 30 (1222 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't into LOTR when they were making it... [In reply to] Can't Post

so I'm being as obsessed as I can about Hobbit production to make up for it. :)

I don't think this will ruin anything for me. Before I was old enough to see LOTR, I had memorized the soundtracks, listened to FOTR (yes, I actually sat there and listened to the movie), knew all the actors and what they wore, could quote half the movie, had seen clips, etc.... and still, when I actually watched the movies for the first time, it was like... a whole new world... *walks away dreamily remember the first time she saw Samwise Gamgee in the movie...* :P

Lord Sméagol? Gollum the Great? The Gollum! Eat fish every day, three times a day; fresh from the sea. Most Precious Gollum!

Annael
Immortal

Oct 20 2011, 6:29pm

Post #12 of 30 (1191 views)
Shortcut
with you on both [In reply to] Can't Post

don't care as much, and please PJ rein yourself in sometimes! Or hire a ruthless editor and listen to that person.

I don't know the TinTin stories but the combo of Spielberg and Jackson - both of whom are prone to overindulging in certain ways (Spielberg: adorable children; Jackson: horror) - is a bit concerning. At least neither is as bad as Lucas. (I counted SEVENTEEN scenes in "Phantom Menace" that began with a CGI spaceship taking off or coming in for a landing.)

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 20 2011, 8:09pm

Post #13 of 30 (1181 views)
Shortcut
This is so interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I really expected a different response from everyone. I agree - I feel fairly happy with Jackson etc. and Howard Shore, though I'm still not convinced about it being in 3-D. But, having said that, the last 3-D film I watched was Journey to the Centre of the Earth...perhaps it's all come a long way since then...

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 20 2011, 8:21pm

Post #14 of 30 (1182 views)
Shortcut
Ah, this is where it is different for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I first watched the films September 2007. I'd began reading the FOTR in August and had got 3/4 of the way through and couldn't take it anymore - I had to see the films. My dad had been a Tolkien fan since before I was born and so he'd already got his books, figures, and movie paraphernalia...but I just didn't 'get' what the fuss was about Blush - when I was almost at the end of FOTR...it clicked though Cool.

So, when I joined TORn (2008 I think) I was so happy to see I wasn't the only one (apart from my dad) who was so touched (geeky!) by the books - I was devastated I'd missed out on all the fun before the films came out - so hearing The Hobbit was being mad I was determined to soak it all up (I could hardly breathe listening to the Unexpected Party with PJ and GDT.

Now though, now that I've got the opportunity to follow it all - I'm not. The first time I saw the film I didn't know enough about the changes to notice - but oh when I finished reading the book, I did have a moan!!! Any time I watch them now with my husband, I *have* to tell "The book is better - it didn't happen like that".Wink

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 20 2011, 8:27pm

Post #15 of 30 (1173 views)
Shortcut
This so weird for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really expected everyone to say quite the opposite!

I have to admit I was so excited when the photos first came out, but then got decidedly jangled because they didn't look how I wanted them to. I was stunned that my dad liked them and thought they were great...and being the geeky fan that he is, I thought I'd hold my final judgement and rest in his wise counsel!

Over the past couple of years I've been so let down by films and the hype surrounding them - that I really don't want the same to happen again...so I'd say my ratio would be the 60/40 it was for you with LOTR. I missed all the run up to the LOTR..perhaps if I hadn't - the nerves would less!

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 20 2011, 8:32pm

Post #16 of 30 (1164 views)
Shortcut
It's funny.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only watched a few of the video blogs and I always want to stop everything and put LOTR on. Laugh

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 20 2011, 8:34pm

Post #17 of 30 (1148 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes - all new to me too - hence my hesitation. I only saw LOTR in 2007 Blush so missed all the fun as they were being made.Frown I shan't be able to breathe when the trailer comes out! Laugh

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 20 2011, 8:37pm

Post #18 of 30 (1168 views)
Shortcut
This is so interesting to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never thought of all those reasons before. Fascinating and certainly explains the different approach people are taking this time around.

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 20 2011, 8:41pm

Post #19 of 30 (1144 views)
Shortcut
That is exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

how I thought I'd be - I missed the making of LOTR and was determined to soak up ever detail in order to make up for what I'd missed.

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 20 2011, 8:42pm

Post #20 of 30 (1164 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Oh yes - Lucas worries me too!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 20 2011, 8:45pm

Post #21 of 30 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

that's what I fear - knowing too much and spoiling it all somehow. Though I do hope that there are plenty of 'extra' discs when it comes out on blu-ray - I *love* the extras on the LOTR films.Cool

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Oct 20 2011, 8:47pm

Post #22 of 30 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Ah, so not everyone has LOTR as their favourite [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to admit I'm not sure which is my favourite - I'd be hard pressed to choose one!

Artanis

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 20 2011, 9:00pm

Post #23 of 30 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Knowing stuff ahead of time about LOTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is what saved the films from being a huge disappointment to me. Having an inkling ahead of time about some of the things they were doing gave me time to resign myself to them. So they didn't sting as badly as they would have done if I'd come into the films cold.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 20 2011, 9:16pm

Post #24 of 30 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Very true. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I already knew, for example, that Arwen's role had replaced Glorfindel, I was okay with it.

The only thing I couldn't get over (well, the main thing) was Elrond stating that "Arwen is dying". in RotK. I understand the rational behind it, it just was something I found jarring. But yeah, I really like knowing big changes ahead of time. I know, though, that even if it were a major change I'd still go see it. At least once.

Permanent address: Into the West

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 20 2011, 11:12pm

Post #25 of 30 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, me, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have gone to see LOTR anyway, just because it was Tolkien.

I'll go see The Hobbit anyway, because it's Tolkien.

And because it's Richard Armitage. EvilHeart

Haha!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.