Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
[Combat Training] to Rivendell? a/k/a Let Us Hunt Some Orc, a fitness challenge (reposted from the Arena)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Oct 15 2011, 1:30am

Views: 236
Shortcut
[Combat Training] to Rivendell? a/k/a Let Us Hunt Some Orc, a fitness challenge (reposted from the Arena) Can't Post

I've been asked to repost this here, my idea about a new kind of fitness challenge, like the Walk to Rivendell challenge but with combat training instead of walking.

This was originally posted within a thread in The Arena form, from which it will be deleted shortly. It's being moved from there with the hope it might get more responses here.

[tolkiennerd "3 to 5", in response to a thread entitled "Orcs v. Your own self":] I have trained in sword fighting for a long time but I'm very out of shape so any more the five and i will get worn out.

[Ruxendil Thoorg "Suggestion: [Combat-Training] to Rivendell?":] I previously made a similar comment above, about not being in as good a shape as I'd like to be. Maybe there ought to be a "Combat-Training to Rivendell" (this thread's version of Walk to Rivendell as regularly posted on the Main forum) to help pudges like us get back into orc-hewing, goblin-cleaving, foe-hammering shape.

It probably wouldn't be called "...to Rivendell". Instead perhaps "...to Hunt Some Orc".

Progress could be measured in whatever measure you set for yourself. as some examples, training hours per week, number of bouts, number of new techniques learned, or number of techniques/drills/forms/exercises reviewed, or degree of increase in consistency of success for a particular technique or combo...etc. just an idea.

(uh-oh, what can of worms am I opening here?)

[tolkiennerd "Good idea":] As well as as well as techniques/drills/forms/exercises ect. There can also info on different weapons and their use in history and tips for beingers.

[Ruxendil Thoorg "looking for show of hands":] Thanks and also good ideas on your part, tolkiennerd.

To all: I have some ideas on how to implement these ideas [EDIT: did I really write that?], if there's enough interest. I'd like a "show of hands" to know how many participants there might be. Participants would be those would actually go out and train in their respective style, trying to meet a goal set forth on a post-of-the-[month?], and log in their training progress in reply to the post, or would actually go out and try to apply the tips/info about weaponry or combat techniques described in the post. Also, anyone who'd like to take part in preparing these "Combat Training to Hunt Some Orc" posts, please PM me.

My initial thoughts on this possible project: originally my thought was to keep it non-style-specific, just as a way to encourage people like myself to get back into training in whatever style, like what Walk to Rivendell does for walkers. Tips for beginners and weapons info might work also, so long as it's basic enough for anybody to apply or utilize, regardless of style/background or lack thereof, and if it's sufficiently Tolkien-related, not too complicated to explain in a periodic forum post, and won't likely get anybody hurt.

Regarding subject matter (weapons), the most Tolkien-related weapon, I think, would be the German school of longsword. Also the single sword w/ shield, falchion or scimitar, dagger/knife or dual daggers/knives. Maybe axe also if I could find a source on it and if there's interest. However I think it might be ok to include the Italian school, which is probably similar enough to the German counterpart. I've done a little bit of Italian longsword.

I should probably mention my combat arts background. It's Asian martial arts mostly, including various Asian sword styles, but also several years of classical and historical (mostly Renaissance-era) European fencing. I have instructed, and hold instructor's ranks, in both karate and kung fu, the latter of which is my primary style and which I have studied (13yrs) and taught as a qualified instructor (8yrs) the longest of the styles I have studied/taught. Although I'm not trained in the German schools of Medieval weaponry, I know where to look for info and could come up with some links and references at least. As I said above, I have some longsword knowledge, though it's rather minimal.

My knowledge of Italian sabre would be relevant to the sword instruction Boromir gives to Merry and Pippin in FOTR. His references to sword parry numbers "2", "1", and "5", and the way they were applied in the movie, happen to coincide with the classical (and contemporary) sabre parry positions. That might be the subject of a first post.

I look fwd to seeing some "hands".

BTW I'm thinking of calling it the Let Us Hunt Some Orc combat-training fitness challenge, or Hunt Some Orc Challenge for short.

OK let's see some hands.

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Subject User Time
[Combat Training] to Rivendell? a/k/a Let Us Hunt Some Orc, a fitness challenge (reposted from the Arena) Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 15 2011, 1:30am
    Well Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Oct 15 2011, 1:48am
        I beg pardon Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 15 2011, 2:29am
            Sure - all are welcome there! NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Oct 15 2011, 2:47pm
    I've cleaned up Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Oct 15 2011, 4:05am
        thanks ataahua! Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 15 2011, 2:32pm
            My post above has a few details on converting exercises NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Oct 15 2011, 3:02pm
    Please do join us on the Walk! Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Oct 18 2011, 5:19pm
        Thanks for the welcome arandiel, and some thoughts in progress Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 18 2011, 8:44pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.