Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
DragonCon attendees: What did you think of the Tolkien Track?
Poll: DragonCon attendees: What did you think of the Tolkien Track?
Loved it!
It was okay, but....
Didn't like it
I was at DragonCon but didn't attend any of the Tolkien Track panels
View Results (9 votes)

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2007, 1:50pm

Post #1 of 8 (230 views)
Shortcut
DragonCon attendees: What did you think of the Tolkien Track? Can't Post

For those of you who attended DragonCon this past Labor Day, i'd like to know what you thought about the programming track. Were you happy with the panels? Not happy? Anything you'd like them to add, or take off the track? Any and all suggestions, complaints, requests, etc.. are highly encouraged - I will pass them on to the Tolkien Track director.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2007, 6:56pm

Post #2 of 8 (162 views)
Shortcut
We didn't go to too many of the panels... [In reply to] Can't Post

but the ones we did go to were nice. We aren't writers so stayed away from those. We don't have action figures, so stayed away from that. I enjoyed the "Speak friend and enter", but OhioHobbit wasn't happy at having to participate. We both loved "Bakshi's Middle Earth." I would have enjoyed going to "Marriage in Middle-Earth" but you have to make decisions! We enjoyed "Jewels in the History of Middle Earth," but couldn't stay awake to stay for the elven family tree panel, so went back to the hotel. So, what we went to was great. Of course, I would like panels only on my interests, but I am well enough grounded in reality to know not everyone wants what I want. There was a mix of interests. All in all, we thought it was a fairly good track.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Sep 4 2007, 8:03pm

Post #3 of 8 (148 views)
Shortcut
I peeked in often [In reply to] Can't Post

The Track was solid and rounded. Next year get Christopher Tolkien to come.

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2007, 8:09pm

Post #4 of 8 (159 views)
Shortcut
He could participate in the Movie vs. Book debate [In reply to] Can't Post

Now if we could also get Fran, Phillipa and PJ on that panel too...

Pirate

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 5 2007, 9:58am

Post #5 of 8 (134 views)
Shortcut
I did not participate in DC [In reply to] Can't Post

But i snuck into 2 at the Hilton on sunday. I enjoyed them and got quite a bit out of them.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 5 2007, 6:56pm

Post #6 of 8 (138 views)
Shortcut
Can't really comment on the TT much... [In reply to] Can't Post

as I only attended Bree (always fun, pity the sound system was so awful, but that's not the TT's fault) and TORn's panel (OK, but I don't know who the three clowns were who seemed to be trying to 'lead' it - and they failed to report on the 'two years, three months and six days until principal photography' rumour... Tongue)

Being serious for a moment - Bree is a great fun event and I have really enjoyed the very few TT panels I've been to over the years. I'm impressed by the hard work and commitment the TT folks put in. I would perhaps like to see them add a few more 'light hearted' elements - for example, could they have an exhibit of Tolkien fan art somewhere? Or I'd really love to see an afternoon accoustic folk/celtic music gig - that would be a great way to mellow out on a DCon afternoon. Just sitting around with friends listening to Shire-like music... (OK I confess I'd actually like to DO the gig - but I do honestly think it would be a great idea!) I'm not really interested in scholarly stuff at DCon - although I know many are - but I'd love to see a slightly more 'social' aspect to a couple of the TT events.

Just imho, of course! You all do a great job. Smile

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2007, 7:42pm

Post #7 of 8 (124 views)
Shortcut
A couple of things we are working on. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was talk of having some Tolkien-inspired fan art hung up in the track room, as well as maybe a class on designing your own LotR jewelry - a lot of people were interested in more 'hands on' tracks.

I also suggested a 'movie vs book' track, which I think would be fun and liven things up quite a bit!

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Oct 4 2007, 9:32pm

Post #8 of 8 (161 views)
Shortcut
I didn't attend as many as I wanted... [In reply to] Can't Post

...which was disappointing. That convention is like a 3-ring circus, with multiple attractions calling for attention at the same time. I was hoping that the panel on creating and applying prosthetics was going to have demonstrations and/or be a hands-on experience, but it wasn't. I was very interested by the lawyer who was speaking about fan fiction and fan art in relation to the Tolkien estate and George Lucas and other copyright owners. I really enjoyed TORn's update on the status of "The Hobbit" movie. But overall I think there was a lot of variety and topics of interest.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.