Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Orcs v Your own self
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jonathan the Elf
Rivendell

Sep 25 2011, 10:42pm

Post #1 of 28 (996 views)
Shortcut
Orcs v Your own self Can't Post

Okay here is one. You v Orcs. So how many orcs do you think you could take on. All at once you have can have any Middle-Earth weapon you want.

Jonathan the Elf (fan)

“How shall a man judge what to do in such times? Yea ask. As he ever has judged, good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another thing among . It is a man’s part to discern them, as much as in the Golden woods an in his own house” said Aragorn

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Sep 26 2011, 12:38am

Post #2 of 28 (576 views)
Shortcut
Oh gosh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Can I get back to you after I start training?...haha

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

GlowWorm
Bree

Sep 26 2011, 11:50pm

Post #3 of 28 (442 views)
Shortcut
:O [In reply to] Can't Post

The orc would win I expect. I would be too scared to defend myself at first and then I would become angry cause it hurt me and then I would go nuts trying to obliterate it for hurting me...Crazy

I should like to dance for a living...

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Sep 27 2011, 12:13am

Post #4 of 28 (433 views)
Shortcut
Well the fact that I couldn't have a machine gun really narrows things down... [In reply to] Can't Post

With a sword and bow I *might* be able to live through three or so if I didn't have help. And like, one Uruk Hai or less.Tongue

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilë.

End of line.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Sep 27 2011, 3:25am

Post #5 of 28 (490 views)
Shortcut
I suppose if I had some Jack Links Beef Jerky and a couple of immature friends we could take on one Uruk-Hai ala those "Messin with Sasquatch" commercials.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 27 2011, 6:02pm

Post #6 of 28 (494 views)
Shortcut
interesting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've thought about this. I'd have to say: Four Orcs, tops.

I don't usually tell people this on discussion forums, but since it's relevant to the topic, I will say that I've been training for most of my life, and am qualified to teach others, in skills that could come in handy in this scenario. So, I'd like to think myself ready for the first Orc and possibly against the first two or three, maybe four at a time. I think the scenario assumes that they are only attacking melee, not from a distance.
After the first four, I doubt I would have enough endurance / cardio to allow me to apply what I've learned against Orc number 5. Especially this month, I've been too busy to train at all so far.

My choice of Middle Earth weapons would be the spear as primary. Then as back-up: sword or falchion (single-handed in either case) with cloak in the off-hand, then knife (just one, not two), then empty-hands.

better yet, since I can have any Middle Earth weapon I want, I'll take Anduril, and use it to summon the Oathbreakers to do the fighting for me Wink haha! Evil

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2011, 2:03am

Post #7 of 28 (630 views)
Shortcut
Me.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I fight'em with everythin' I gots......

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Sep 28 2011, 3:22pm

Post #8 of 28 (498 views)
Shortcut
That would depend on the battle [In reply to] Can't Post

If it were merely a physical battle, the orcs would have me beat. But I think I'd win in a sing-off, a crochet-off, a change a baby's diaper-off (the orc would probably get frustrated and chop up the baby!), a read-off... just about anything that involves something artistic or practical.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Bladerunner
Gondor

Sep 28 2011, 8:19pm

Post #9 of 28 (630 views)
Shortcut
LOL! The orc would claim he only signed up to 'find' the halfling not change its diapers! ;0) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Jonathan the Elf
Rivendell

Sep 30 2011, 5:19am

Post #10 of 28 (388 views)
Shortcut
"artistic or practical [In reply to] Can't Post

"artistic or practical" is very high on an orcs abilaties.

Jonathan the Elf (fan)

“How shall a man judge what to do in such times? Yea ask. As he ever has judged, good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another thing among . It is a man’s part to discern them, as much as in the Golden woods an in his own house” said Aragorn

Jonathan the Elf
Rivendell

Sep 30 2011, 5:22am

Post #11 of 28 (372 views)
Shortcut
Sweet as [In reply to] Can't Post

That is what I wanted to hear.

Jonathan the Elf (fan)

Jonathan the Elf
Rivendell

Sep 30 2011, 5:26am

Post #12 of 28 (467 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

That seems to be what can happen when you fight.

Jonathan the Elf (fan)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2011, 9:16pm

Post #13 of 28 (413 views)
Shortcut
oh? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That is what I wanted to hear.

just out of curiosity, why did you want to hear that? would you have been disappointed if no one had given that kind of answer? i got the feeling you were going somewhere with this, but i'm not sure where.

also curious about: how would you answer your own question? something tells me your answer might be interesting.

don't get my hopes up b/c it's starting to sound like you're looking for a few good adventurers, i.e. "Let us hunt some Orc". You me and Wraithbuster, "Forth the three hunters!" for realz! Cool Laugh

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Oct 1 2011, 1:50am

Post #14 of 28 (392 views)
Shortcut
I always feel so sorry for Sasquatch when I see those commercials... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard enough that people are always trying to hunt him down, but now they play pranks on him?

Poor, poor Sasquatch.

Wink

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Patty
Immortal

Oct 1 2011, 6:31pm

Post #15 of 28 (689 views)
Shortcut
My choice? [In reply to] Can't Post

The One Ring. I'd put it on just long enough to be invisible and disappear. I couldn't fight even one orc.

Of course, then I'd start to become susceptible to the ring's power, and I'd have a whole other set of problems.

Permanent address: Into the West

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Oct 8 2011, 12:58pm

Post #16 of 28 (420 views)
Shortcut
Give me two knives and a whole lot of orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Let them come....

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Jonathan the Elf
Rivendell

Oct 10 2011, 5:38am

Post #17 of 28 (403 views)
Shortcut
re [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, well I myself spend quit a bit of time sword fighting with my brother so it isn’t new to me. Also I think it would be a very hard to kill another human even in battle. But I wouldn’t loose a bit of sleep over a few dozen orcs. However I’m being a bit sneaky when I say “you can have any Middle-Earth weapon you want” as it includes Gandalf’s staff which is my choice and Glamdring with that I think I could take on a good number say 80. But really I want the LOTR fans to think up there own scenario. Other then a staff I’d take Legolas’ gear. But from what one of the fans said there seems to be surplus of Staffs LOL

Jonathan the Elf (fan)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Oct 10 2011, 3:16pm

Post #18 of 28 (445 views)
Shortcut
staff & Glamdring combo [In reply to] Can't Post

personally I'd find the combo cumbersome. (I'm assuming no magic from the staff, as Gandalf's abilities are probably Istari-exclusive. If wizard magic were allowed then the answer to your question changes.) I'd go with either one or the other at a time. Even if Glamdring were a shorter sword and easier to use in one hand, i find wielding a long staff (aka quarterstaff) in one hand, while possible, to be more awkward than it's worth. Not much power in the strikes, not much leverage, too easy to get disarmed.

Legolas' gear is a good choice. Personally though, I prefer one knife versus two at a time because I like having one hand free for grabbing and, for me, allows for more techniques that I'm comfortable with using. (I realize that for a movie, two knives is better because it's flashier and more impressive-looking than just one. interestingly, in the book he only had one long knife)

what kind of sword fighting have you been doing, if I may ask? what kind of sword is it, what is it made of, what kind of safety equipment or safety rules do you apply, and are you using a particular style, school, or manual as a basis?

warrioress
The Shire

Oct 10 2011, 8:38pm

Post #19 of 28 (363 views)
Shortcut
I cannot say how many... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I am somewhat confident when it comes to fighting skills. I've had 6 on one fights in the past and I've handled them alright, but orcs are obviously a different matter. 4 or 5 I think. Maybe more, maybe less. There's no way I can give a certain answer! Oh and I'd be using a sword.

All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost...

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2011, 1:42am

Post #20 of 28 (319 views)
Shortcut
sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

seeing that you go by the name warrioress, i'd expect no less. I'd be interested in hearing the story of your encounter with the 6 goons, preferably with detail regarding the juicy combat action and describing the environment / setting and circumstances.

your answer assumes that orcs make for tougher opponents than humans. maybe you're thinking of uruk hai. the regular-sized orcs are smaller, weaker, dumber, and less well organized, although they can be agile. If you were in control of a fight against 6 humans then you could probably take 7 or 9 regular-sized orcs. 4or 5 sounds right if you mean uruk hai.

what kind of sword would you choose, and is there a particular style/school/manual that you would apply?

Jonathan the Elf
Rivendell

Oct 11 2011, 5:14am

Post #21 of 28 (380 views)
Shortcut
LARP [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I’ll have to see if you can get staffs pre-charged from Valar tools and appliences. LOL. The type of sword fighting I do is either with a wooden sword or LARP which you can learn about at this website http://www.strongblade.com/nav/LARP.html

Jonathan the Elf (fan)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2011, 5:53pm

Post #22 of 28 (385 views)
Shortcut
polymer waster [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't done LARP but maybe one day. sounds fun.

My interest in swords, and other weapons, is mostly for serious study of traditional martial arts, from both Asian and European styles. Like you, i've worked with wooden and boffer wasters. Most of my training has involved steel fencing blades. I've also worked with the shinai.

More recently (last year) I've discovered a really nice new kind of waster, it's a flexible polymer that is used by the World Jianshu League as its official fencing blade, nicknamed the "onyx". Some info on it can be found here: http://daoistfightingarts.blogspot.com/2009/08/wasters.html they have a nice weight, and unlike the wooden ones they won't warp, crack or splinter. also much safer than the steel ones. safety gear is required, just like it would be for any other waster/practice blade, as a strike from the polymer blade could pack quite a wallop and leave marks. however, they're hard to get via internet, I eventually procured one through sheer determination. too bad they're not very common, but they may catch on.

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Oct 12 2011, 1:01pm

Post #23 of 28 (385 views)
Shortcut
3 to 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

I have trained in sword fighting for a long time but I'm very out of shape so any more the five and i will get worn out.

TheNazgul
Rivendell

Oct 13 2011, 9:23pm

Post #24 of 28 (407 views)
Shortcut
One million (as I put my pinky finger to the corner of my mouth) [In reply to] Can't Post

see it depends on scenario if it is huge battle they are all dead but if it is just me against a whole bunch of orc i wont last.

sora

Rána Baggins
The Shire

Oct 18 2011, 8:51pm

Post #25 of 28 (289 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

It depends on what condition the orc is it. If he's lying there on the ground about to die, then I would win, but if he's fit, I don't think I'd stand a chance! Tongue

http://happyinmyhobbithole.weebly.com/uploads/6/8/5/9/6859773/9451637.jpg?650

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility is being superior to your former self."
-Elijah Wood

(This post was edited by Rána Baggins on Oct 18 2011, 8:52pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.