Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Aragorn's Coronation Armor?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 22 2011, 8:11pm

Post #1 of 15 (5426 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Aragorn's Coronation Armor? Can't Post

So, for those of you unfamiliar with the Did You Ever Notice? posts, I take a minute to try and highlight some of the details that went into the costumes of LOTR. Once upon a time these arrived every couple of weeks, but nowadays I'm lucky to put together one or two a year. Here's hoping this kicks off a new round of them.

These posts would not be possible without the amazing AlleyCatScratch costume website, which has many, many more pictures and details on this armor. I strongly urge you to check it out if you want to see more: http://alleycatscratch.com/...rn/AraCoronation.htm

There aren't a lot of pictures of the underlayers for this costume. I believe it's the same chainmail set as with his Black Gate armor, and he wears a burgundy tunic without obvious decoration. The tunic has silky sleeves and a heavier collar (wool maybe?)

Over that we get this fantastic armor and a cloak. You will see the crown and tree/wings motif everywhere.

This is the top of his breastplate. Notice all the scroll work. That's very fine etching work.

His shoulder.

Vambrace and greaves.

As always, you can see more pictures and details over at the AlleyCatScratch site.

So, any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running series taking a look at some of the details in LOTR one costume at a time. It appears on no particular day and follows no order. Look for it when you see it. You can always find previous discussions at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

tennie75
Lorien

Sep 22 2011, 11:11pm

Post #2 of 15 (3807 views)
Shortcut
thanks so much! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always enjoy your posts - you see so many details that I have never noticed.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 22 2011, 11:25pm

Post #3 of 15 (3893 views)
Shortcut
I'm so happy you've done this one!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always been sad that they didn't show Aragorn being dressed for his Coronation. I'm thinking it probably mirrored when Gamling helped Theoden put on his armour to prepare for the Uruk attack.

To see all of the details and beauty of this costume is so wonderful! Thank you for doing this. I always adore your costume posts. *bows deeply*

sample
Happy Birthday Bagginsesssss!!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2011, 8:01am

Post #4 of 15 (3856 views)
Shortcut
that was marvellous!! [In reply to] Can't Post

....Weta are amazing! though I still think that they should have done a fully blown winged crown for the actual crown. fabuluous armour though

"But the other two Istari were sent for a different purpose. Morinethar's and Rómestámo's task was to circumvent Sauron, to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion and after his first fall to search out his hiding and to cause dissension and disarray among the dark East. They must have had very great influence on the history of the Second age and Third age in weakening and disarraying the forces of East who would both in the Second age and Third age otherwise have outnumbered the West."

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2011, 10:06am

Post #5 of 15 (3835 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for this. They are always so interesting.

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 23 2011, 12:13pm

Post #6 of 15 (3872 views)
Shortcut
the detail is pretty amazing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and Viggo looks very amazing in it, if you ask me!

I've not yet watched the EE appendices for ROTK, but I recall from the Weta Design one in TTT the info on the kind of work and approach they took to Theoden's armor. Aragorn's here is certainly of that caliber, if not higher...

I like the etching and the tree and wing imagery -- the lines remind me of the Elven armor designs as well. So while this is very "Gondorian" (human) there is an Elvish hint or strain in the design in it -- which is really fitting for Aragorn.

I don't recall if this was armor just for Aragorn, or was originally Elendil's armor, which they intended him for him to sort of reclaim. That would make it 3,000 years old, though!

Thanks for the birthday treat -- always appreciate the time you put into helping us understand the design elements of the costuming!

Weaver

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 23 2011, 4:14pm

Post #7 of 15 (3820 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this all looks so heavy! We already know Viggo is wiry but strong, but even so, I'm surprised he could move in all this.

The details are beautiful, but then, so are the details of all the other costumes. Thank you for making sure we appreciate them all Smile

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 23 2011, 6:32pm

Post #8 of 15 (3790 views)
Shortcut
Maybe that's why [In reply to] Can't Post

he looked uncomfortable in that outfit. It is beautiful but I don't care for the way it looked on him.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 23 2011, 9:22pm

Post #9 of 15 (3976 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous!! So much detail. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! I always love these--hope you can do more!SmileSmile

ShyElf
Lorien

Sep 24 2011, 5:06pm

Post #10 of 15 (3749 views)
Shortcut
So nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Aragorn's Coronation Armor! And thanks for these posts -- always been one of my favorites!!!

Cheers!

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 26 2011, 2:41pm

Post #11 of 15 (3784 views)
Shortcut
On the dummy, at least... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that headpiece looks almost Egyptian.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Elven
Valinor

Sep 28 2011, 5:56am

Post #12 of 15 (3997 views)
Shortcut
The red undergarment... [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing how scarlet and rich the underlining is on the mannequin compared to the graded picture in the film - it certainly didn't stand out that much, nor could it be seen under the chain maille in the film - it might have been distracting. It reminds me of the lining of Aragorn's cloak we see a flick of in RoTK 'For Frodo' scene, just before he races into battle at the gates.
I love your DYEN threads - thanks so much for posting this one.

Cheers
Elven

Lothlorian
Lorien

Oct 3 2011, 6:30pm

Post #13 of 15 (3782 views)
Shortcut
I love your dyen series - [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you!

Bresixdouze

Oct 8 2011, 12:51am

Post #14 of 15 (3785 views)
Shortcut
I think you are correct [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as Elendil's armor being re-used, or at least re-created, to be used for his coronation armor. I recently re-watched the appendices for ROTK and I seem to remember them mentioning something like this. They wanted to draw the parallel between the two and their heritage, I believe. I could be wrong but that does ring a bell.

goldberryslily
Bree

Nov 1 2011, 12:32am

Post #15 of 15 (3784 views)
Shortcut
WOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heartwhat amazes me is the detail they put in to all the costumes specially as in the film you only get glimpses and dont get a chance to really take it all in when your watching it. i love the interview they did with ngila Dickson in the costume department, awsome. HeartHeartHeart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.