Concerning the Woot Moot:).
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 3 2007, 7:52am

Post #1 of 160 (2728 views)
Shortcut
Concerning the Woot Moot:). Can't Post

We all, the three of us, just wanted to tell the people bringing this about; Corvar, Calisuri, Deej, Greendragon, Cahobbit, SandWitch King, and others i may have forgotten for the righteously good time at the Woot Moot. And also to all the TORnsibs there i had a chance to meet and share time with, it was wonderful. This time will be remembered forever.
Time to get on the road for the trip back. I love you guys more than you know:). Safe journey to you all on the way home.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 3 2007, 3:48pm

Post #2 of 160 (2003 views)
Shortcut
you folks drive safely!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're a star, Sil, and it was so wonderful to have the three of you there! When is our next get together? Smile

It was SO fantastic seeing everyone this weekend - just sad it's over! Just about to board a plane to boston, so report and pics will have to follow later! meanwhile love to all, and safe travels! Here's to the next time!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2007, 7:28pm

Post #3 of 160 (1995 views)
Shortcut
Safe journeys to you all! [In reply to] Can't Post

*taps foot, drums fingers on table-top* Hmm...report? Pics? Inquiring minds are dying to know!!! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

SandWitch King
Rohan

Sep 3 2007, 10:09pm

Post #4 of 160 (2001 views)
Shortcut
Similar sentiments [In reply to] Can't Post

Sil and all, I have the best and highest opinion of you all with great respect and love.

The credit for the party goes alphabetically to CaHobbit, DJDeathkiss and Green Dragon. While Corvar and Calisuri did give birth to TORn along with Xoanon and Tehanu, these three ladies made the moot. Corvar did pick up a round of drinks so that is pretty super.

But the thing was great because of all who showed up and participated and shared of self. THAT is what made for delux memories. Horray for good people and good times!

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped - David Mamet

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 3 2007, 11:45pm

Post #5 of 160 (2037 views)
Shortcut
Here's a start.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like everyone else who was at DragonCon (I'm assuming!) I'm now totally knackered! Going to bed at around 5am four nights in a row has a way of catching up to you... Plus my computer here at home is SO useless and it keeps acting up, won't let me download my photos, etc. And tomorrow I have to sit through ten hours of opera auditions so I'd better get myself organised and ready for work!

So - I'm afraid pics from me will have to wait until either later tomorrow or (alas!) Wednesday! But I will post pics and I'm sure others will report in too. Meanwhile here's a first go at a report and I also thought people might be interested to see which sibs were there! We asked everyone to sign a 'TORn's Army' list when they arrived, and this is the list! (If I've got anyone's name wrong please correct me, and if you didn't get on the list but were there, please let us know! I apologise for anyone I may have overlooked on the list - it doesn't mean we didn't notice you were there!! Wink )

me - that's greendragon!
deej
CAhobbit
frodo_for_president
L.Ron Halfelven
Silneldor and fabulous family!
Smeagirl/Girllum and Mr Smeagirl
Alcarcalime
Ohio Hobbit
Elfriend
Namadriel
White Lady Eowyn
Frodan
Taliesin
Corvar
SandWitch King
Calisuri
Shuya
Alassea Elensar
Greenwoman
Wednesday Addams
Kris
BagginsDMV
Eowyn Wannabe
Laurelindorian
Hermione
Saelind
Hobbitlove
Ordinary Hobbit
Love horses
grammaboodawg and grandson Paragon
SailingwestIII
Celebrian
Foe-hammer-of-Gondolin
Jincey - who managed to show up for part of the evening after all, hurrah!

Quite a list eh? Distinguished company! It really was such a thrill to be amongst such excellent and admirable TORnsibs - and I was so delighted that we were able to get such a group together. Thanks so much to you all for making the effort to come! Many sibs came armed with wonderful gifts for the group - Sil made song sheets with all the words of the hobbit drinking song (which of course we sang!), gramma made sheets with wonderful pictures from TORn and from the movies, and with a brilliant poem which she wrote (gramma, would you mind sharing it with folks here?), and Hobbitlove, Ordinary Hobbit and Love horses had made gorgeous badges with photos and captions on them - just wonderful! During the course of the evening Greenwoman drew some incredible illustrations on napkins for some of us - what an amazing artist! And we had some lovely prizes, many of which were very generously donated by Sideshow Collectibles, so we were thoroughly spoilt!

Altaira and BG, who alas couldn't be there, joined us in spirit by sending along a quiz, which was suitably tricky and which was finally won by L.Ron! Costume prizes went to a wonderful Tom Bombadil and three ladies in beautiful Arwen and Eowyn outfits.

The venue, 'High Velocity' bar in the Marriott, did a great job for us - they were very accommodating and patient, and didn't even mind that we had Legolas and Frodo standees which we put up in the windows! They said it was the best party they'd had in there (OK, they've only be open a short while but we've set a high standard!), and I think their staff went from being bemused to enjoying the general merriment of the group!

We took some group photos - if anyone can get one posted before I manage to sort my camera, please do! Then - the best part of the evening, imho - Jincey suggested that we turn our chairs around to face looking out of the glass wall of the bar, watching passers by. DragonCon is all about the costumes, so there we were in our own 'judges' gallery' watching the fashion parade going past! Folks were at first bemused by the loud cheering and clapping which greeted them as they walked by, but many played along brilliantly! Various folks posed and performed, and I loved seeing Santa Stormtrooper and Home Depot robot! Four chaps dressed as shapes from Tetris were especially good... Things went from whacky to wild as we discovered that dollar bills would fit through gaps in the glass - one '300' spartan ended up with a bill stuck in his wee shorts... ; ) Meanwhile our very loud carousing was patiently tolerated by the High Velocity staff, and our wonderful waitress even walked past the window to her own round of applause at one point!

There were many other things which happened during the course of the evening and I'm sure others will write a much better report than this! This is just what I remember off the top of my somewhat tired and befuddled head - apologies if I've misreported any of this! I know that many 'sibs met again for lunch the next day (sorry, I overslept!) and many of us also had a great time at TORn's panel on 'Making the Hobbit Happen'. What other Con events did folks attend? What were people's highlights of the weekend? Let us know your thoughts and share some pics!

I'm suffering from post-con blues now - so wish I could be out partying with you all again tonight! (Although I think I may need some sleep....!!) Thanks again to all who came and made it such a wonderful night - and weekend. Hope everyone is home safely! And those of you who couldn't make it - mark your diaries for next year! We might just manage to do it again... Wink

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 4 2007, 12:06am

Post #6 of 160 (2000 views)
Shortcut
One thing I forgot to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to embarrass them, but it was especially great having two of the four founders there! How fab to meet Corvar and Calisuri - and what wonderful gents they are. It's now clear to me that the great atmosphere of TORn comes directly from the folks who set it up in the first place. Our little moot was made even more special by having them join us - thanks, chaps! You are stars! And MANY thanks for buying us all drinks! Laugh

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2007, 12:29am

Post #7 of 160 (1962 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was wonderful meeting you and your family - thank you so much for being there, and for the thoughtful gifts. Hope to see you again Labor Day weekend 2008!

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

calisuri
PTB

Sep 4 2007, 12:33am

Post #8 of 160 (1985 views)
Shortcut
*blush* [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush Thank you so much GD for the kind words. It was a pleasure being there with all of you. You and CaHobbit and DJDeathkiss did a great job setting up the Moot - it couldn't have gone better.

For me, the highlight was physically seeing the energy and passion of the TORn board community. Larry has always told me how great our boards are, but because of my schedule I never really get to partake. Having now spent time with you all during DCon, I'll try my best to be more active...that is of course if I don't cause any problems, in which cause Altaira can boot my ***.

But anyway...

Thanks for making the TORn boards an overwhelmingly positive experience both online and offline and I look forward to our next encounter!

PS - I promise not to force you all into playing 'Name that Tune' either.

The Mysterious Calisuri

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 4 2007, 12:54am

Post #9 of 160 (1960 views)
Shortcut
shouldn't that be [In reply to] Can't Post

'boot my ****'? You Americans - will you never learn to speak English?! Wink

Corvar
PTB

Sep 4 2007, 2:32am

Post #10 of 160 (1994 views)
Shortcut
Glad I could come [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok Simon ;)

I also want to say thank you all for inviting and welcoming me, and even though I had some other obligations, the part I was present for was a blast. Next year, I will try to do my scheduling better.

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2007, 12:33pm

Post #11 of 160 (1974 views)
Shortcut
Wow - you found the boards! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I didn't even have to send you a link.

Wink

Corvar
PTB

Sep 4 2007, 12:41pm

Post #12 of 160 (1961 views)
Shortcut
Not that hard [In reply to] Can't Post

I just had to remember back to helping install them ;)

calisuri
PTB

Sep 4 2007, 1:11pm

Post #13 of 160 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of... [In reply to] Can't Post

What's up with TORn left nav. Need a real link to the new boards!

The Mysterious Calisuri

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2007, 1:36pm

Post #14 of 160 (1980 views)
Shortcut
We want to thank the wonderful women who set up this moot, also! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had just the best time ever. By the time we got home, we were so exhausted, but were so full of happy memories. The WootMoot was so much fun -- the trivia quiz from Altaira was fun even if we didn't win. We had planned to have lunch with Hobbit Love, Ordinary Hobbit, and their daughter and with Sil and family, and were so happy to see all the sibs who were waiting for a table. We took to calling it the MiniMoot and then after lunch a bunch of us walked over to the Hilton to do the trivia at The One Ring.net table and stood and talked with more sibs. I even won a prize (crown of King Elessar); this became the mini-mini-Moot, and a bunch of sibs were talking after the Jewels in Middle Earth talk and we took to calling that the Mini-Mini-Mini Moot. We had so much fun running into sibs here and there as we went to events or talks. OhioHobbit and I will certainly remember this for years.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Sep 4 2007, 1:50pm

Post #15 of 160 (2032 views)
Shortcut
I'll go first with the pics. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the group! Others may be able to help me out with names:

No trouble remembering these three! Greendragon, CAHobbit, and deej, who organized the whole thing.

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Sep 4 2007, 1:54pm

Post #16 of 160 (2019 views)
Shortcut
Here's gd's <strike>favorite</strike> favourite pic from the con: [In reply to] Can't Post

The SandWitch King unexpectedly ran into someone in the hall Sunday night!

And Rose drew him in, and set him on the harpsichord bench, and put little Wilhelm Friedemann upon his lap.

He began composing a fugue. 'Well, I'm Bach,' he said.

calisuri
PTB

Sep 4 2007, 1:59pm

Post #17 of 160 (1969 views)
Shortcut
OHG - He really does look just like him... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mysterious Calisuri

Patty
Immortal

Sep 4 2007, 4:12pm

Post #18 of 160 (1966 views)
Shortcut
Larry, ya never looked better kid! [In reply to] Can't Post

(is that the statue on the left or the right?)

I'm glad you folks had such a great time!

Riding with the Rohirrim!

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2007, 4:45pm

Post #19 of 160 (1981 views)
Shortcut
Is it just me.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Or are Calisuri and greendragon getting pretty "friendly" with Legolas in the back row?

Angelic

SandWitch King
Rohan

Sep 4 2007, 4:47pm

Post #20 of 160 (1958 views)
Shortcut
Who be these strangers among us? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why look! The management has come to visit.

The fellas look something like this:

Cool shirts eh?

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped - David Mamet

Patty
Immortal

Sep 4 2007, 4:59pm

Post #21 of 160 (1958 views)
Shortcut
What does the shirt that Calisuri has on say? [In reply to] Can't Post

the one with the hobbits on it?

Riding with the Rohirrim!

Corvar
PTB

Sep 4 2007, 5:05pm

Post #22 of 160 (1972 views)
Shortcut
Hobbits = Corvar [In reply to] Can't Post

That is one of the OneRingCelebration (ORC) shirts from the first go round. I don't know that it says anything more than ORC 2004 (and the year is a guess ;)

calisuri
PTB

Sep 4 2007, 5:08pm

Post #23 of 160 (1945 views)
Shortcut
ROFL [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that is some funny stuff - Good thing no one caught what GD was really doing to the cardboard cut out. LOL

The Mysterious Calisuri

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Sep 4 2007, 5:30pm

Post #24 of 160 (1938 views)
Shortcut
A diversion!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Taliesin
The Shire

Sep 4 2007, 7:28pm

Post #25 of 160 (1939 views)
Shortcut
pics being sorted [In reply to] Can't Post

It was so nice to meet all of you this weekend, and yes..I know I have been a terrible lurker. I was talking with Sil and realized that I have been lurking for almost 6 years now. I will try to post more often.
Thanks to everyone who came out and thanks to deej, greendragon and cahobbit for organizing this!
I walked by "our room" yesterday at High Velocity and giggled.
I took over 500 pics this weekend and will post a link as soon as I get them organized.
Thanks again to all who helped out and who was able to show up for a night to remember!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.