Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
"Blessing of the Tree"

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2007, 3:18am

Post #1 of 11 (452 views)
Shortcut
"Blessing of the Tree" Can't Post

I was reading the magazine my alma mater sends to alumni and this article caught my eye. Every year since 1906, the college has planted a tree dedicated to the graduating class. I don't recall witnessing the ceremony at any time, but I enjoyed reading the blessing that is said over each new tree. Here it is:

May the axe be far away from you;
May fire be far away from you;
May there be rain without storm;
God of trees, may you be blessed;
God of life, may we and our world be blessed.

I can imagine Treebeard saying something like this over young trees in Fangorn. Of course, it would be much longer if he said it!

Where's Frodo?

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2007, 2:17pm

Post #2 of 11 (334 views)
Shortcut
That's lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds very Celtic.

But if they plant all those trees on campus, I wonder how they still have room left for the students! Or do they just plant them anywhere?

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2007, 3:20pm

Post #3 of 11 (328 views)
Shortcut
That does sound like [In reply to] Can't Post

the "Gaelic Blessing", doesn't it!

Tolkien would like that tradition Smile!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 3 2007, 4:51pm

Post #4 of 11 (329 views)
Shortcut
Wow, does that blessing date back to 1906? [In reply to] Can't Post

Timeless and lovely. Thanks for sharing that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2007, 5:56pm

Post #5 of 11 (330 views)
Shortcut
How beautiful - and I'd like to add a line - [In reply to] Can't Post

'May we care for you through all the seasons of the years'.
So often trees are planted - especially in public places - with much ceremony, then left pretty much to fend for themselves. They often need extra water while establishing, the bases need keeping clear of weed growth, strimmers should not be used anywhere near them, ties and stakes need checking and loosening, and removing after a reasonable interval, etc etc.
*pushes soapbox back under desk*

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2007, 2:28am

Post #6 of 11 (319 views)
Shortcut
Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume they're all on campus. At least, there are a lot of trees there. I really don't remember much, if anything, about this tradition from my school days. Apparently, each tree is also given a name by the graduating class. One mentioned in the article from the "Star Wars" era is "Tree-2-D-2". I couldn't tell you what my class tree is named or where it is. Perhaps some research is in order.

Where's Frodo?

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2007, 2:31am

Post #7 of 11 (317 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

If the blessing does date back to 1906, perhaps the author had some foresight in writing "May fire be far from you." There was a big fire at my college in 1986 (I think) and several buildings were destroyed. Certainly some trees must have been lost too.

Where's Frodo?

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2007, 2:33am

Post #8 of 11 (315 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, GwH [In reply to] Can't Post

That's an excellent point. I do hope the trees are well-cared for. That's something else for me to look into.

Where's Frodo?

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2007, 2:49am

Post #9 of 11 (316 views)
Shortcut
Aha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I no longer feel bad for not remembering the tree-planting tradition, because the tradition seemed to be on hiatus the entire time I was an undergrad. I checked the college website and it seems that the "annual" tree-planting was more like "occasional" tree-planting. Perhaps it depended on whether trees were needed (or if there was room!) or maybe it was the whim of the class. Also, the first year for a named tree that I saw was 1928. By 2006 there were 43 trees. The earlier names were from classic literature or ancient mythology, but in 1969 the tree was named "Aquarius", and there's a long stretch of humorous names after that. Then you hit 2000 and they're very serious, earnest and dull names like "Believe". "Believe" isn't a name, not even for a tree!

Where's Frodo?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 6 2007, 1:38am

Post #10 of 11 (306 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh... that's lovely *cuts, pastes* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2007, 7:42pm

Post #11 of 11 (341 views)
Shortcut
Hm - 'Believe' - perhaps a play on words? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not quite as dull as you might think? You know - let there be leaves, believe there'll be leaves, etc?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.