Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Evangeline Lilly talks Hobbit with SFX
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 21 2011, 1:18pm

Post #176 of 184 (1782 views)
Shortcut
I don't think you need worry about that [In reply to] Can't Post

That's not what I was suggesting.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 21 2011, 1:21pm

Post #177 of 184 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Rare?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't think of a female character in Middle Earth that isn't some sort of warrior... Rosie Cotton, maybe... I think there's probablly some cut footage of Rosie kicking orc-butt during the scouring of the shire. In the books we have Goldberry...

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Sep 21 2011, 1:25pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 21 2011, 3:21pm

Post #178 of 184 (1776 views)
Shortcut
What about them? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't including the Silmarillion, which the majority of your film audience will never have read. Or the Unfinished Tales, or wherever it came from.

Call that a cop-out, if you like. But if we have to put up with change in the name of "adaptation," then it's perfectly valid to object to a change that diminishes the impact of an important character who is familiar to those who have seen the other films.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

IDLookout
Rivendell

Sep 21 2011, 3:45pm

Post #179 of 184 (1766 views)
Shortcut
Fair point [In reply to] Can't Post

:-)

Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
He's only three feet tall.
Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
The bravest little hobbit of them all.

-Leonard Nimoy

Snaga
Lorien

Sep 21 2011, 4:30pm

Post #180 of 184 (1765 views)
Shortcut
Invented characters [In reply to] Can't Post

I always assumed that PJ would have to invent a lot of characters for these movies that aren't specifically mentioned in the book. After all, Tolkien was very descriptive as an author but could not and did not describe and list every single orc, elf, laketown man, and dwarf that came and went from the story. He used broad brush strokes in a lot of his descriptions for these, and I think this leaves PJ a lot of leeway in his adaptation.

If Tauriel helps tell the story, is well cast (and Evangeline is a fine actress IMO) then it's going to fly just fine. If after watching the films I'm left with a sense that she was "shoehorned" in just for some silly side story or thinly-linked romance, then I will probably crinkle my nose like I did during the whole "Arwen is dying" part of TTT. Then I move on and eat some more popcorn.

Everything being equal, I don't believe I've ever enjoyed a film adaptation of a book(s) more than I enjoyed PJ's previous adaptations. I think I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. My two cents.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 21 2011, 4:48pm

Post #181 of 184 (1788 views)
Shortcut
Good morning!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Who's the coverdwarf now, prettyboy!

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Sep 21 2011, 4:50pm)

The Wanderer
The Shire

Sep 21 2011, 6:26pm

Post #182 of 184 (1789 views)
Shortcut
I was also thinking about this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see people already hating the character mostly because of the Itaril descriptions -- thinking they'd be the same character with just a different name. Ehh. The only description I'll take as canon is what PJ has actually said/will say about Tauriel .. Not my thing to hate/mock a character that I know nothing about yet.

Arwen Skywalker
Lorien

Sep 24 2011, 2:55pm

Post #183 of 184 (1721 views)
Shortcut
One point about Hadhafang [In reply to] Can't Post

In the filmverse backstory, Hadhafang was originally owned by Idril. While it may be fanfiction on Jackson's part, it has some basis on what Tolkien wrote. In Unfinished Tales, Idril is described as fighting Maeglin "like a tigress" (though it doesn't say she uses a sword to do so). This unfortunately, was downplayed in the editing for the Sil.

Alya Lairë

Sep 27 2011, 8:36pm

Post #184 of 184 (1737 views)
Shortcut
Elvish word + iel/wen/ion = NAME! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm probably just being nitpicky, but the name Tauriel just sounds like someone's character from a roleplaying game.

Why? Because it just so happens that, in Sindarin, it's a pretty direct translation of "daughter of the forest"? Wink

However, while the -iel means "daughter of" no matter how you slice it, "taur" actually has a pretty wide array of uses, and could also mean "mighty", "high", "noble", "lofty", "sublime", "king", or, for those of you with a keen sense of irony if this character should wreak havoc on canon... "awful".

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.