Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Speculation: Official Announcement for The Hobbit in September?

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2007, 6:00pm

Post #1 of 17 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Speculation: Official Announcement for The Hobbit in September? Can't Post

So, I'm going to take a shot and say it: The Hobbit might be announced this September.

No, I'm sorry, I do not have any insider information, and I am just saying it, out of some conclusions.

First of all, why September? Well, two things: all the buzz for the movie started September 10, 2006 when Harry Sloan, MGM's CEO announced they would make The Hobbit, as announced by comingsoon.net and originally, Variety . Secondly, The Hobbit turns 70 on September 21, don't tell me it wouldn't be a good thing for Jackson and ths studios to announce the project exactly at the 70th anniversary? Above all it sounds like a smart marketing move, given the emotional part...

Kristin Thompson from the Frodo Franchise says in her blog:
Quote:

The same story, however, added this snippet of news: “By a happy coincidence, Sir Ian is currently in New Zealand performing in King Lear and plans to dine with New Line’s bosses shortly when he will make it clear how keen he is to play Gandalf in the new film.” If indeed McKellen plans to do so, it may hint that the negotiations between New Line and Jackson are going well.

When might that meal occur? The Auckland run of the plays ended on August 25, and the Royal Shakespeare will be presenting them at the Brooklyn Academy of Music from September 6 to 30. After a stop at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, the RSC will be in Los Angeles for performances from October 19 to 28. Given that New Line has offices in both New York and Los Angeles, that dinner could take place in either city.

Now, after seeing how Jackson and Shaye are apparently making up, could we be heading to a much expected and highly publicized announcment (hopefully sans Raimi)? Or will we be left to continue speculating and waiting?

I don't know, but September does sound like a plausible and interesting moment to do it.

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

Patty
Immortal

Sep 1 2007, 9:18pm

Post #2 of 17 (1043 views)
Shortcut
Well, I can't think of a better mathom for Bilbo's birthday. [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit that I had thought of this already, but I dismissed it as wishful thinking. I so hope you are right. We don't have long to wait. Boy, the celebrations, the celebrations!

Riding with the Rohirrim!

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Sep 2 2007, 7:29am

Post #3 of 17 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Hope you're right! [In reply to] Can't Post

My intuition tells me the Hobbit movie will be made. I just hope the stars align to make it happen with PJ & Co.
Call it close-minded, but I just cannot see anyone but Mr. Jackson directing the Hobbit.

Elven
Valinor

Sep 2 2007, 2:23pm

Post #4 of 17 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Those time lines .. [In reply to] Can't Post

Im not dousing your thoughts with water here Compa Mighty, but

were already thought of September as being significant in (14th) August ... speculatively ... (edited quote)

and it is an exciting time ... well not really - maybe September will bring some news ... it seems to always be a snippet every couple of months ... it dies down, and then it starts again ... it keeps us sustained and interested ...

During this time there are a few changes taking place .... and that was talked about once some threads started to be joined together ...
An announcement is one thing ... there hasnt been a announcement that it wont be made ... its just when and who ....

I do think September there will be announcements but maybe more of the same ... something to celebrate or get happy about .. but a bit more substantial than before - a real possibility of the movie going ahead .. I'll speculate a big announcement at the begining of November (5th) Dec 22 to January (3rd) and then March ...
The way I see it - what ever has been standing in the way of the Hobbitish movie/s, be it money, direction/er, health whatever .. I think things are moving and there has been a new focus and movement come into play ... all the reports seem to reflect this .. what has had to happen is things coming back into some form of balance and perspective ... a tempering of sorts, maybe thats to do with peoples tempers or just getting the harmony back - at least the right combinations so that things will settle down and work smoothly. I can imagine there to be a few glitches or suprises before this all pans out - something has got to give before the Hobbit can move ahead, and maybe thats a change and a restructure, and that may have to do with bigger conchos and studios .. but it would be hard to trust anything right now - its not the time (not good planetary aspects up until the 22nd Sept anyway ..Crazy) ... so, as always it would be interesting to see what happens ...

The other interesting aspect is the new technology awaiting ...and Petes new camera Laugh
It would (to me anyway) ... make sense that if Sir Ian was in town ... and Pete is set up maybe to screen test Gandalf - which he may have done - at Bag End (which is now on Pete's new property ... talk film ... add to the library of shots they have ... talk schedules ...

I dont think we might here Pete is on board until later than we expect ... but I'll bet my cotton socks he'll be involved.

Just some thoughts
Elven x

SILVERCHAIRS Daniel Johns gets the crowd going at the 'Big Day Out Festival' at Minas Tirith before Denethors famous stage dive.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"

Patty
Immortal

Sep 2 2007, 5:40pm

Post #5 of 17 (1026 views)
Shortcut
I do not call you close-minded. [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree with you.

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Sep 3 2007, 12:11am

Post #6 of 17 (1029 views)
Shortcut
You do? [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if I should have said: "I do not want to see anyone else except for Peter Jackson and his family and team involved with the Hobbit movie."

Maybe the folks at Weta can capture the look of the movie, and New Zealand would become Middle Earth again. Except without PJ I don't think the Hobbit movie would be able to follow the spirit of the LotR trilogy, so to speak.

orcbane
Gondor

Sep 3 2007, 5:14pm

Post #7 of 17 (995 views)
Shortcut
You forgot the tea leaves [In reply to] Can't Post

We must be desperate to begin to assign meanings to certain numbers and dates. It sounds like those old court magicians reading signs & portants.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 3 2007, 7:44pm

Post #8 of 17 (988 views)
Shortcut
Don't know about desperate... [In reply to] Can't Post

but certainly anxious.Sly

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 3 2007, 9:12pm

Post #9 of 17 (998 views)
Shortcut
Calling Professor Trelawney.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.....oops, J/K!

What about Pete's new camera? Explain please!Smile

Owlyross
Rohan

Sep 4 2007, 10:53am

Post #10 of 17 (962 views)
Shortcut
He's been testing [In reply to] Can't Post

The RED digital camera, a new design of camera which can provide super HD resolution (4520 x 2540) footage at a 2540p (roughly twice the resolution of normal digital video) at a fairly low cost. As far as I know he has now completed the test footage he was commissioned for (a ten minute WW1 scenario).

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Elven
Valinor

Sep 4 2007, 12:59pm

Post #11 of 17 (956 views)
Shortcut
LOL!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I brew tea leaves ... otherwise I just uncloth the Palantiri .... Wink

Elven x

SILVERCHAIRS Daniel Johns gets the crowd going at the 'Big Day Out Festival' at Minas Tirith before Denethors famous stage dive.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"

Timbo_mbadil
Rivendell

Sep 4 2007, 6:12pm

Post #12 of 17 (973 views)
Shortcut
And i still haven't made up my mind [In reply to] Can't Post

if I'm looking forward to The Hobbit…
After all, it's a children's book, it mostly consists of short episodes suited to read one at a time at bed-time, it has (let's be honest) funny to silly characters etc.
Now I'm not a Tolkien-purist, but changing it to an adult film would mean to mess a great deal with the book. Like I said, I still haven't made up my mind…
But thanks for your post, and yes, September would be the perfect time for an announcment.

Otherness represents that which bourgeois ideology cannot recognize or accept but must deal with (…)
Robin Wood 2003, p. 49. "Hollywood from Vietnam to Reagan – and beyond". Columbia University Press, New York, Chichester, West Sussex.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2007, 3:16am

Post #13 of 17 (986 views)
Shortcut
Not encouraging [In reply to] Can't Post

Latino Review posted on August 13 (a little old, but hadn't spotted it):

Does that mean that Peter Jackson could be back to actually direct The Hobbit? Our sources say no, that Jackson is still off the flick. Who is on? How about Spidey's Sam Raimi - who has long been linked to the prequel? You can now file him being the new Hobbit director in FACT rather than fiction.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=2642

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

Rabittooth
Bree

Sep 6 2007, 5:22pm

Post #14 of 17 (989 views)
Shortcut
From The main site... [In reply to] Can't Post

News for Sep. 06, 2007
Raimi Definitely Off of 'The Hobbit'?
9/06/07, 11:17 am EST - Celeborn WizardUniverse.com is reporting that Sam Raimi is definitely NOT involved with the film version of 'The Hobbit.' In a late report from Comic-Con about the '30 Days of Night' film, Sam Raimi answers the question about his involvement with Hobbit: "I am not involved. I respect the director [Peter Jackson] a great deal and he may do it some day, so no." Why this specific information has not been reported from a well attended panel discussion at Comic-Con, we don't know. We will try to confirm this information and report our findings ASAP!
---------------------------------------------
Now THAT is encouraging news!!!
If Raimi is out...I'm of the opinion that this only leaves PJ!
Plus...Raimi refers to Jackson as "The Director".
VERY promising!!!Cool

-Rabittooth

www.rabittooth.com

fmaximus
Rivendell

Sep 13 2007, 12:54pm

Post #15 of 17 (927 views)
Shortcut
This article is rubbish... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Who is on? How about Spidey's Sam Raimi - who has long been linked to the prequel? You can now file him being the new Hobbit director in FACT rather than fiction."

How do they know this as a Fact. What sources do they have to back it up. Maybe their sources are from 2 months months ago. The articles I'm more inclined to believe are the ones that actually talk to the parties involved. Sam Raimi has always maintained that it is PJ's movie to direct and only if he got the go ahead from PJ would he do it. Latest article I read is that Raimi himself said that he will Not direct the Hobbit afterall.

(This post was edited by fmaximus on Sep 13 2007, 12:55pm)

Rabittooth
Bree

Sep 13 2007, 1:45pm

Post #16 of 17 (891 views)
Shortcut
Link... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just so folks know what yer posting about:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=2642

-Rabittooth

www.rabittooth.com

Milady
Rivendell

Sep 15 2007, 11:14pm

Post #17 of 17 (903 views)
Shortcut
but-but-but... [In reply to] Can't Post

DO we want PJ as director?
Agh, I guess you're right. I just can't see anyone else doing it.

Middle-Earth stands on the brink of destruction.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.