The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
"That looks like the Elfstone"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 1 2007, 3:35pm

Post #1 of 7 (457 views)
Shortcut
"That looks like the Elfstone" Can't Post

I was at one of our back-to-school meetings this week, before classes start next week. I was wearing a pendant I got at the church rummage sale, a gold-plated thing with a green glass "jewel". One of my colleagues came up to me and said 'That looks like the Elfstone. " It was fun because that had been in the back of my mind. Of course it doesn't look much like the Elessar stone, which was set into an eagle brooch. I actually made one of those once by gluing an emerald into an eagle pendant. But it was fun that he'd recognized what I was thinking.

He has an interesting LotR story, by the way. When he was a young man, he was drafted and went to Vietnam. In basic training, he had a locker that had been used by someone else. The previous person had left a copy of LotR in the locker. He read it, and he said it got him through his time in Vietnam.

Here are scans of my "elfstone" pendant, and the 'Elessar" pendant I put together.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 1 2007, 8:00pm

Post #2 of 7 (367 views)
Shortcut
I really like that Elfstone pic. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although the chain is still, it looks like the Elfstone has a life of it's own. :)

Isn't it great when colleagues make a LOTR reference completely out of the blue? It's almost like a secret signal - "Yeah, we're playing at living in the real world, but we know that Middle-earth is where the real stuff happens."

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elven
Valinor

Sep 2 2007, 4:02pm

Post #3 of 7 (349 views)
Shortcut
It does too!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love your Elfstone pendant!! Very special!! ... and its nice to see it attracts the right people to you ... other LoTRingers!Smile
Thaks for the pic!!

Elven x

SILVERCHAIRS Daniel Johns gets the crowd going at the 'Big Day Out Festival' at Minas Tirith before Denethors famous stage dive.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2007, 5:16pm

Post #4 of 7 (353 views)
Shortcut
That's one of those stories [In reply to] Can't Post

that makes one realize, that there are things in this world that are "meant" to happen. His finding LotR brings to mind Peter Jackson & company, walking though a warehouse they wanted to purchase but knew it would be a big risk, coming across a lone table, with a copy of LotR opened upside-down on it as if someone had just left the table and was keeping his place in the book. And also of a very young grammaboodawg, coming across a trilogy of books while looking through someone's discards by the side of the road...

That's a lovely shade of green in that pendant's stone! It does make it look like an "elf-stone". What kind of reactions have you gotten when you've worn your "Elessar" pendant?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 2 2007, 7:02pm

Post #5 of 7 (351 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What kind of reactions have you gotten when you've worn your "Elessar" pendant?

Altaira recognized it immediately for what it was supposed to be :-) The only other reaction was from a man in a coin shop who asked if that was an emerald. I told him yes, but not a gem-quality one (I got the emerald at a rock shop for $10. The eagle pendant is pewter and cost about the same.)

Yes, my colleague's story of finding the books in his locker really feels like something that was "meant" to happen. I hadn't heard the one about gramma. Beautiful! I discovered Tolkien through a pen pal in 1969, which feels kind of prophetic now that I'm here with all my pen pals :-)

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Mar
Gondor

Sep 2 2007, 7:08pm

Post #6 of 7 (343 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful pic and story. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles,
it empties today of its strength.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 7 2007, 4:30pm

Post #7 of 7 (340 views)
Shortcut
*goosebumps* Wonderful Story! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't tell me fate is fickle! That's wonderful! The pendants are beautiful, m'dear! You've had several treasures come your way through the jewelry and the story. AWESOME! :D

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.