Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Scenes that won't be in the hobbit and new scenes that will
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mybear
Bree

Sep 11 2011, 3:11pm

Post #1 of 48 (2045 views)
Shortcut
Scenes that won't be in the hobbit and new scenes that will Can't Post

The first part of the hobbit book is practically a series of mishaps that happen on the way to the lonely mountain, there are even some in the second half. Peter Jackson probably won't use some of these scenes but may include them in the extended editions. Also, he will add new scenes in the dol-guldur subplot. Post scenes that you think will not be in the theatrical release and also new scenes that may be in.

(Cut or in the extended editions)
-Bilbo escaping the goblin tunnels after gollum
-The Rock Avalache right before the warg attack
-The Enchanted River

(New Scenes)
-The White Council
-Golbins gathering under Mt. Gundabad
-Gandalf checking out dol guldur
-The attack on dol guldur
-Possibly an attack on the woodsmen by the necromancer
-Sauron revealing himself and secretly retreating to mordor
-Sauron's backstory
-Random Scene with Tauriel Frown

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 11 2011, 3:20pm

Post #2 of 48 (1038 views)
Shortcut
First post? [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome, Mybear.

I don't think they can cut the Enchanted River. We may only see the deer in the extended cuts, though. But we need Bombur falling under his mysterious sleep, slowing everyone down, forcing them to carry him. His dream about the elves, too, gives them the motivation to search out the light in the woods themselves, rather than send Bilbo.

Mybear
Bree

Sep 11 2011, 3:31pm

Post #3 of 48 (959 views)
Shortcut
You're right [In reply to] Can't Post

hopefully they don't cut it, i'm just listing what they may cut
i hope they don't cut anything actuallyEvil

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 11 2011, 3:51pm

Post #4 of 48 (981 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the Boards and [In reply to] Can't Post

with two movies we will see pretty much every scene Tolkien wrote though they probably will not be done the same (as the evidence of Peters VLOG 3 indicates for the Troll sequence.) There will be the added events involving the White Council at Dol Guldur but I think it will not take as much time as some might believe. It is only a secondary plot and really is not that important to the main plot after all.Evil

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2011, 4:08pm

Post #5 of 48 (988 views)
Shortcut
Not too sure as of yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

Removed Scenes:
-The Eagles' Aerie may either be cut or perhaps in the extended edition
-The lead-up to the barrel escape may be different from the book (ALA Reddit guy)
-Probably no Roac or talking birds (ALA Reddit guy)
-The Arkenstone may be cut or in the extended editiuon (ALA Reddit guy)

New Scenes:
-Many more scenes of interaction and development for the Dwarves, including flashbacks to the Lonely Mountain and Thorin earning the name "Oakenshield" in battle
-The White Council subplot involving Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman, Radagast, the Necromancer and possibly more characters as well
-More in the Shire before Bilbo sets out on his adventure, (with Drogo and Primula) as well as possibly more at the end of Film 2 (suggested by GdT)
-More in Mirkwood including Tauriel and Legolas
-Much more of the politics of Laketown involving Bard, The Master and Alfrid
-Mikael Persbrandt recently mentioned being "hoisted to the ceiling for a difficult torture scene", so I agree with your idea that we may see the Necromancer VS Beorn and other denizens around Mirkwood
-I imagine that most of the characters and locations will have more to do and be more fully explored than in the book

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Sep 11 2011, 4:08pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2011, 4:34pm

Post #6 of 48 (896 views)
Shortcut
Why do you think those scenes are left out? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you have some particular reason? Because to me they seem scenes easily turned into very cinematic, memoriable moments. Why waste them?

Oh, and welcome to the forums! Smile

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Sep 11 2011, 4:34pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2011, 4:35pm

Post #7 of 48 (966 views)
Shortcut
Reddit guy [In reply to] Can't Post

Did he just disappear? Pretty much everything he said ended up being true, so he must have had some insight into the production (possibly read the script).

(This post was edited by Carne on Sep 11 2011, 4:36pm)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2011, 4:55pm

Post #8 of 48 (993 views)
Shortcut
He made only one concrete, falsifiable statement. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was that Smaug would be voiced by an actor whom we had heard – twice – in the trilogy. As we all know, this turned out to be completely untrue. All of his other statements can be divided into two categories: pre-existing (and rather predictable) rumours, such as Peter Jackson directing, Martin Freeman starring as Bilbo or the films being shot in 3D; and unfalsifiable statements, such as Jackson and del Toro strongly disagreeing on the design of Laketown.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2011, 5:09pm

Post #9 of 48 (863 views)
Shortcut
Oh [In reply to] Can't Post

My mistake then.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 11 2011, 5:14pm

Post #10 of 48 (845 views)
Shortcut
I'm interested to see [In reply to] Can't Post

how much Del Toro was cut myself. but this is mostly design work I guess.

Twitter: @IrfonPennant

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2011, 5:21pm

Post #11 of 48 (843 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

if he was a fake, then IMO he was a good one. Tongue

And Carne, yep, he pretty much vanished after a while.

I would rather be watching Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and Ridley Scott's "Prometheus"...it's going to be a long few years.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Sep 11 2011, 5:22pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 11 2011, 5:24pm

Post #12 of 48 (855 views)
Shortcut
To be honest. [In reply to] Can't Post

it's easy to be a convincing fake, especially if people want to believe you're real.

Twitter: @IrfonPennant

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 11 2011, 5:27pm

Post #13 of 48 (913 views)
Shortcut
"we have heard his voice twice in LotR" [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, maybe he only meant that Sauron would be voiced by the same person as Smaug. In which case he was right. But, I agree it's flimsy and he was probably just looking for attention.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2011, 5:49pm

Post #14 of 48 (864 views)
Shortcut
It's possible [In reply to] Can't Post

that the voice actor playing Smaug wasn't originally going to be Benedict Cumberbatch.

Either way, not sure if he's been conclusively proven to be legitimate or not yet, ("he" being Reddit guy, although I guess the same could be said for Benedict as well). Wink

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 11 2011, 6:59pm

Post #15 of 48 (828 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Cumberbatch wasnt the first choice for Smaug. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Plurmo
Rohan

Sep 11 2011, 7:49pm

Post #16 of 48 (851 views)
Shortcut
I think Beorn will be sitting atop of the Carrock [In reply to] Can't Post

(as he usually does) when Gandalf arrives carried by the Lord of the Eagles and the whole awkward introduction of the company to Beorn will happen there, with the eagles arriving at separate intervals, throwing their weighty burdens on the rocky top and going away without a word. I don´t think there will be any scene at Beorn's house.

sueb1863
Rivendell

Sep 11 2011, 8:05pm

Post #17 of 48 (844 views)
Shortcut
The Arkenstone [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see them cutting the Arkenstone. They'll have plenty of time to show it, and it's the major point of contention between Bilbo and Thorin.

It was cut from the Rankin Bass version due to time, but PJ isn't going to have that problem.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 11 2011, 10:03pm

Post #18 of 48 (745 views)
Shortcut
Much has changed since GdT left & PJ took over.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 11 2011, 10:08pm

Post #19 of 48 (742 views)
Shortcut
I would definitelty begg to differ.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 11 2011, 10:13pm

Post #20 of 48 (758 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

When the Reddit Dude was writing GdT was still in charge. I am sure that BC's involvement was recent and the result of an audition tape he did (Possibly at Martin F's encouragement). As I said above things have changed.

Photobucket

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Sep 11 2011, 10:52pm

Post #21 of 48 (778 views)
Shortcut
I think the Arkenstone will be there. [In reply to] Can't Post

It has an important role in the book, and if they can fit in explanations about the White Tree of Gondor in LotR, then I think perhaps the Arkenstone is fair game.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 12 2011, 1:55am

Post #22 of 48 (760 views)
Shortcut
Except that [In reply to] Can't Post

there is an interview with BC that goes back to the time when GdT was still in charge (and before Martin was hired as Bilbo) in which BC was asked what roles would be his dream roles and one of two or three that he listed was Smaug in the Hobbit. I seriously doubt that he would have given that answer out of the blue if he had not already auditioned (and probably had already been told he was a or the leading choice).

I am 100% convinced that the Reddit guy was completely false. And I certainly hope that I am right, because if he was telling the truth about the Arkenstone being omitted, these films will be a failure, at least in my opinion.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Sep 12 2011, 3:41am

Post #23 of 48 (797 views)
Shortcut
here's a candidate for scene cutting... [In reply to] Can't Post

when the people of lake town burst into song when one dwarf so much as sticks his nose out of doors.

the singing lake towners don't really fit with the gritty image of LOTR, do they?

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 12 2011, 11:13am

Post #24 of 48 (707 views)
Shortcut
I am 100% convinced that he was not false. [In reply to] Can't Post

He would spend what, 8 hours of writing false, serious replies to various peoples questions? For what purpose? There was nothing to gain and he was right in all accounts apart from the voice of Smaug but that may very well have changed. Remember that during this time, PJ was still denying that he would be the director and it was just a rumour during that stage, as was 3D. The reddit guy claimed that PJ was locked and would soon be announced together with 3D which became true. Same with Martin Freeman.

Actors come and go all the time. GDT's Beorn was probably not Persbrandt and when GDT was out of the picture so was his first choice for Beorn. Same with Smaug, I bet GDT had somebody in mind that this reddit guy know of but then PJ picked another Smaug after he managed to get ahold of Freeman and fell in love with "Sherlock".

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 12 2011, 1:32pm

Post #25 of 48 (659 views)
Shortcut
People making false claims about the movies are as common as a cat has hairs [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen numerous occasions where people made much more elaborate claims than this reddit guy, with people defending them even more voraciously than you, that proved to be completely false. Why do they do it? It is somewhat of a mystery, but I guess it is to make them feel special. The redditt guy has all the same hallmarks as these other false messiahs. You are welcome to believe in him, if that makes you feel good. In the end the truth will be clear (of course, nothing will stop you or others from saying things like "the script obviously changed to add the arkenstone back in" and things like that to justify why his predictions didn't come true).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.