Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... And Beyond!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2011, 3:51pm

Post #1 of 47 (997 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... And Beyond! Can't Post

Hello, fellow walkers, joggers, swimmers, dancers, gardeners... I'll refrain from continuing this list further, but you get the idea!

Welcome (back) to the Walk to Rivendell... And Beyond!, TORn's weekly group for fitness and following in the footsteps of our favorite characters from Middle Earth. (Yes, that WAS a lot of alliteration.Tongue) I'm posting this week while riding (walking) on the back of my trusty ol' Bill the Treadmill.

In a couple weeks, I'm going to let you know about a new challenge here on the Walk. It'll be an opportunity to welcome more folks to the journey through Middle Earth and to motivate ourselves to go further than we have before. So start dusting off your bikes, adjusting your swim goggles, and lacing up your sneakers (trainers). Details to follow!

In the meantime, how's it going? What (Earthly or Middle Earthly) sights have you seen on your journey this week?

Myself, I'm barely out of Hobbiton, having just started on my journey after a difficult year for my family - there have been deaths, hospitalization, surgeries, and lots of travel this summer as a result - some, but not enough, of which included hiking. So I'm in a rebuilding phase now.

Thanks to Finding Frodo for passing the Walk to Rivendell baton!

Arandiel

Miles covered this week: 2
Cumulative miles: 2
Goal: I'll let you know in two weeks!

The Scoop on the Walk
Don’t forget to update your mileage on the Shields page. Be sure to keep a paper record of your miles, as there is always the potential for the Shields page to crash (again). And see you in Rivendell!!!!

Explanatory note: The Éowyn Challenge/ Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a LOTR-related fitness walk thingy that began in March 2003, and that has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. The idea is to keep track of your mileage as you walk, and soon you will find yourself traversing the 458 miles to Rivendell. The walk is open to all. Keeping a goal date in mind can be useful for some, others are happy taking the scenic route and getting to Rivendell eventually. The website for the Walk explains things far more coherently than I can; please check out the link below, especially the main page and the Walk page. Lots of useful links, including wonderful mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, can be found on the Tools page.

The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread can usually be found right here on Main, on Thursday mornings.
Walk to Rivendell: http://www.eowynchallenge.net

Wherever you go, there you are.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 8 2011, 4:15pm

Post #2 of 47 (688 views)
Shortcut
Starting over [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember where I left off in my walk and can't seem to access the Shields page today, so I'll just start over. I walked about 25 miles at Dragon*Con this past weekend (which is a nice way to start when starting over, btw) so I'm on Frodo & Sam's second day: "Road rolls up and down."

Miles covered this week: 25-ish
Cumulative miles: 25
Goal:
just keep walking, just keep walking...

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 8 2011, 4:36pm

Post #3 of 47 (690 views)
Shortcut
Walking at Dragon-con? Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry to hear you had technical difficulties. I don't know whether you were having trouble actually logging in or finding the login page for the Eowyn Challenge. In case it's the former, here's the link to the login page. If you were having trouble logging in, kindly please disregard the previous sentence!

Wherever you go, there you are.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 8 2011, 4:48pm

Post #4 of 47 (696 views)
Shortcut
This is perfect timing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just started an effort to get less fat, so I'm starting fresh here! Cool

So far, I've walked 5.25 miles. I'm not sure how to count the stationary bike mileage, since many of the online thingies for converting bike miles to actual miles all say that it's inaccurate and useless. But put me down for 5 hours of stationary bike. Maybe I'll count it as one mile per hour on the bike. It's gotta count for something!

So that puts me at 10.25 cumulative miles. I can no longer see Hobbiton and am about to stop for a frugal supper. Laugh (I just love the location finder on the Eowyn Challenge site. It's fun to see what the hobbits were doing along the way.)

Hmmm...I just tried to login over there and it won't go to the login page. Anyway, I did register and I'll be "AlasseaE" over there.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2011, 4:54pm

Post #5 of 47 (674 views)
Shortcut
And here we go!!!!! *geeky hand-clapping* [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't WAIT to see what you have in store for us, Arandiel!! *slaver, slurp* Anything that involves sausages or mushrooms? ;)

I hear ya on the rebuilding. Between illness, rehab, visitors and overall RL intrusions, I've been badly damaged in the rebounding... though I've been getting in my walks and other exercises as much as possible. STAY OFF STEROIDS!! I had a bad bout with some sort of Poison Ivy-esque reaction in July, and the doc put me on steroids for nearly 3 weeks! I put on 6 pounds the first 4 days (not from eating, sadly) and another 5 from it after that! So these extra 11 pounds just don't want to disappear no matter how hard I try. BUT I'll keep at it! They say it takes a while for the effects to wear off, and some say they don't go away at all! BALDERDASH! I won't believe that one!

Thank you so much for taking us under your wing and keeping us on the road. Don't be afraid to let a shout out if you need someone to "share the load" if you have a busy time :)

Cheers to our Fellow Travellers!! Keep on truckin'!!

*runs to Eowyn page*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2011, 5:14pm

Post #6 of 47 (665 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear about the tough year [In reply to] Can't Post

I always think hiking is good mental therapy, so hopefully that will help you out.

I haven't been keeping track of my Walk since last April, and I've completely fallen off the exercise wagon this summer, so Gandalf & Pippin are just passing the Entwash on their way to Minas Tirith. It's a long boring road....

But now that we've got a thread going again, I'm resolved to get moving again - so thanks, Arandiel!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2011, 5:25pm

Post #7 of 47 (666 views)
Shortcut
For what it's worth, here's how I count biking [In reply to] Can't Post

I did a bit of poking around a while back, and it turned out that biking seemed to use about 44 calories per mile no matter how fast the pace was. Similarly, walking takes about 85 calories per mile no matter the pace (and running about 125). So I figure every 2 miles of biking equals about 1 mile of walking energywise - and comparing my bike rides to my runs, I think it seems reasonable. Hopefully your bike gives you a mileage readout! Even if it doesn't, it seems like at a leisurely pace of ~8-10 MPH, your hour of stationary bike should be worth at least 4-5 miles! Don't shortchange yourself - you gotta keep ahead of those black riders! :)

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2011, 5:26pm

Post #8 of 47 (683 views)
Shortcut
The Shire to Rivendell is the best leg anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of these other legs are l-o-n-g anyway!

It's great to get to a Con AND get walking distance in - very nice.

Notta

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2011, 5:29pm

Post #9 of 47 (678 views)
Shortcut
*Images of a roid-ragin' gramma dances in head* [In reply to] Can't Post

You go, gramma. Remember what Gandalf told Frodo "All we have to do is decide what to do with the pounds that are given to us".

I've no doubt you'll whack those nasty pounds eventually.

Notta

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 8 2011, 5:54pm

Post #10 of 47 (696 views)
Shortcut
Well, we climbed a bunch of hills on the bike this morning! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid I'm easy pickin's for the Black Riders!

I definitely work harder on the bike. I walk on the indoor track and wasn't even breaking a sweat, so I got some ankle weights. It does seem to help. And I'm not a pokey walker,either. I walk pretty fast, compared to all the people I'm passing on the track. (Granted, many of them are in an older age bracket than I am.)

But the stationary bike doesn't have a mileage meter. It's one of those non-electronic types. They've got the other kind, too, at the rec center I go to, but the class I'm in uses the non-metered bikes. They don't even have a MPH meter. So I'll take your word for it and use five miles for my bike mileage per hour. (Easier to do the math!) So that would put me at 30.5 miles so far! Woo hoo! I've skipped the "frugal supper" and approach the river. Right ahead of the...Black Rider! Gee thanks! TongueCrazy

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 8 2011, 6:03pm

Post #11 of 47 (658 views)
Shortcut
That actually helps a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

The link from the main page wasn't taking me to the log in page for some reason, so linking to it directly seems to be exactly what I needed!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2011, 7:17pm

Post #12 of 47 (666 views)
Shortcut
*BWAHAHAHAHAA!!! snort* OMG! [In reply to] Can't Post

You got me.... POW!!!

That's awesome!! I'm gonna tape that on the bathroom mirror!!!!! *cuts, pastes*

*still sniggering*

THANK YOU!!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2011, 7:28pm

Post #13 of 47 (656 views)
Shortcut
Your shield page [In reply to] Can't Post

shows that you have 41.2 miles!!! That's a LOT!! So add what you've done at D'Con (way cool, btw) and you're well on your way!

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2011, 7:32pm

Post #14 of 47 (677 views)
Shortcut
That's a great conversion! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe we should put one together that we can all agree to use. Then there won't be the confusion of what to do. A TORn-up Conversion list!! I like what you've got figured... so we can start with that! Want me to start one? Yeah... I'll start one... this stuff goes first!!

sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 8 2011, 7:33pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2011, 7:41pm

Post #15 of 47 (658 views)
Shortcut
Now, now... [In reply to] Can't Post

You just pointed out to A.E. not to shortchange herself... so don't do it to yourself, m'dear! We're all getting back on our feet, but it doesn't mean we've just sat our our bu... cushions... all summer ;)

You know you probably did several converted-miles-worthy of activity every week/month this summer... so be fair to yourself and do some guesstimating :)

sample

Unused Scenes

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2011, 7:56pm

Post #16 of 47 (703 views)
Shortcut
Haha - a Torn-up list - I like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are the conversions I use. This is just the ratio of the amount of calories required to do activity X divided by the amount of calories to walk a mile for a person of the same weight. It takes more calories to run a mile than to walk it, so for every one mile I run, I get credit for 1.41 miles walked.

To use the conversion, just figure out how many "units" of an activity you did and multiply that by the number of MilesWalked for that activity.

For instance, if I swim 1000 yards, I get credit for 1000*0.0026 = 2.6 miles walked.

Code
Activity        Units           MilesWalked 
Run miles 1.41
Walk miles 1
Swim yards 0.0026
Stairs stairs 0.0024
Weights minutes 0.043
Ultimate minutes 0.118
Hiking minutes 0.086
Biking miles 0.52
Anything calories 0.012
SwimLaps 50Yd Laps 0.132
Elliptical minutes 0.163

Here is a list of calories for lots of different activities, just take the value in the 155 lbs column, divide by 88 (the calories burned by a 155 lb person walking 1 mile), and you have the MilesWalked factor for doing that activity for 1 hour. (Note that by using both numbers for a 155 lb person, you get a factor that is independent of your weight).

Notta

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Sep 8 2011, 8:05pm

Post #17 of 47 (692 views)
Shortcut
Actually, sadly enough, I didn't! :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Between vacations, bee stings and lazyness, I really have completely fallen off the wagon! That's why I'm glad to see this thread again, I need some motivation to get going.

Notta

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2011, 8:58pm

Post #18 of 47 (648 views)
Shortcut
Touchdown!!! Awesome! Thanks :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Unused Scenes

ShyElf
Lorien

Sep 9 2011, 1:47am

Post #19 of 47 (679 views)
Shortcut
Still can't walk any great distance.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so I'm kind of stuck 12 days from Weathertop (so close to Rivendell.....) Think I'll build a nice fire and roast up something yummy.....It's been a rough summer.

Hope my leg stops swelling up so much soon so I can at least make it around the block (grocery shopping is a huge event right now --- I've got the cart to lean on)

Sorry to hear you have had a tough year -- Here's to much better times for the both of us! I'm so glad you have taken this task on -- I'll be here each week -- even if I can't walk yet! I'm not giving up!!!

Cheers!

barrowblade
The Shire

Sep 9 2011, 6:45am

Post #20 of 47 (683 views)
Shortcut
I bicycle every day to work and back [In reply to] Can't Post

I average about twenty five miles a day by bicycle, forty or more when I'm feeling particularly intrepid. Then again, I hate driving.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 9 2011, 8:54am

Post #21 of 47 (636 views)
Shortcut
We're putting together [In reply to] Can't Post

a conversion chart where you can figure other activities to convert to mileage so you won't be limited with just walking (or such things). We'll keep ya on the road, m'dear :)

I'm sorry about your leg. I hope it heals up before long.

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 9 2011, 8:58am

Post #22 of 47 (654 views)
Shortcut
That's great :) [In reply to] Can't Post

You'd make it to Rivendell in no time!!!! :D

sample

Unused Scenes

barrowblade
The Shire

Sep 9 2011, 10:45am

Post #23 of 47 (624 views)
Shortcut
i'm already in Umbar [In reply to] Can't Post

...having drinks at Trader Imrahil's.

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 9 2011, 2:20pm

Post #24 of 47 (665 views)
Shortcut
I hope to get back into walking [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that the rains have stopped and the weather will be turning cooler I hope to be able to walk more. I've had heel problems on both feet for the last four years so I've not been able to walk as much as I'd like. I take step aerobics classes 2-3 times a week which is easier on my feet than walking but I love to get out there and hike with my dog. I walked her yesterday at 5 am but had to cut it short due to a thunderstorm.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2011, 2:34pm

Post #25 of 47 (653 views)
Shortcut
Step aerobic to Rivendell! [In reply to] Can't Post

According to this cool website, an hour of high impact step aerobics burns as many calories as walking 9 miles, and an hour of low impact step aerobics burns as many calories as walking 6 miles. So go ahead and keep on stepping, but give yourself credit!

Sorry the heels have been a real problem for you, I hope they begin to improve.

Notta

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.