The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bloom in NZ for 6 months.

megha
The Shire

Aug 31 2011, 6:52pm

Post #1 of 20 (7711 views)
Shortcut
Bloom in NZ for 6 months. Can't Post

"I'm sort of between America and New Zealand and here and everywhere at the moment," Bloom said.
"I'll be coming and going for about six months I think."
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/8291550/bloom-gets-two-fathers-days
looks like he is in for a long haul - atleast longer than a cameo.

Smile Smile

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 31 2011, 7:04pm

Post #2 of 20 (6401 views)
Shortcut
Peter does do a lot of takes.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

duats
Grey Havens

Aug 31 2011, 7:16pm

Post #3 of 20 (6412 views)
Shortcut
*Sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

megha
The Shire

Aug 31 2011, 7:18pm

Post #4 of 20 (6411 views)
Shortcut
but still.... [In reply to] Can't Post

still 6 months for a cameo is a bit to long.
also elijah woods will do a cameo and will shoot for only a month.

i donot think that he will have a major role but longer than rumoured.

LordMaximus
Rivendell

Aug 31 2011, 7:20pm

Post #5 of 20 (6378 views)
Shortcut
Here for a bit of snow boarding as well I bet // [In reply to] Can't Post

megha
The Shire

Aug 31 2011, 7:21pm

Post #6 of 20 (6392 views)
Shortcut
NO....!! [In reply to] Can't Post

i sincerely hope not. that scene was very silly

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Aug 31 2011, 8:29pm

Post #7 of 20 (6354 views)
Shortcut
He just doesn't want to move again. [In reply to] Can't Post

4 months of shooting, then pick-ups? I'm just happy he's there. What's the problem? Don't worry, be happy...only 471 days to go. Smile

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Aug 31 2011, 8:30pm)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Aug 31 2011, 8:42pm

Post #8 of 20 (6321 views)
Shortcut
Maybe, maybe not. [In reply to] Can't Post

It just means that between now and March or so...he will need to go back and forth to NZ for scenes, and pick-ups. Not that his role is so big that it takes 6 months to shoot. They may shoot some stuff in Mirkwood, then shift gears and shoot Laketown for a couple months, then do some stuff for Erebor, or some scenes with Gandalf, then come back to Legolas in Mirkwood.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Maylily
The Shire

Aug 31 2011, 10:42pm

Post #9 of 20 (6318 views)
Shortcut
I don't see the big deal. [In reply to] Can't Post

Look, we all know that Legolas will be in the movies in some shape or form, and I seriously doubt he will have major screentime with such a humongous cast already. He says he will be in and out of NZ throughout the six months, not like he is staying there continuously like some other cast members. However, of course, it's looking more and more like his role will be more than a 1-2 minute cameo, which is fine by me, since his father, King Thranduil will have a major role, but most of all I trust Peter Jackson to tie everything together nicely in the end.

sueb1863
Rivendell

Aug 31 2011, 10:53pm

Post #10 of 20 (6268 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have a problem with Legolas having a few scenes. He'll probably have a discussion or two with his father in which Thranduil will verbalize his distrust of the dwarves, and we'll probably hear Legolas echo his views, setting up his initial dislike of Gimli in the LotR films. He *might* do some fighting in the BoFA, but as long as he doesn't overshadow the dwarves and Bilbo, I'm fine with that.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 1 2011, 12:26am

Post #11 of 20 (6311 views)
Shortcut
Haven't you guys heard, [In reply to] Can't Post

The name has been changed to "The Elf & The Dwarves: The Hobbit".

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 1 2011, 3:29am

Post #12 of 20 (6253 views)
Shortcut
More than a cameo I suspect. [In reply to] Can't Post

We still don't know the Dol Gulder sequences and they could involve Legolas in some fashion as well.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2011, 9:46am

Post #13 of 20 (6163 views)
Shortcut
Ah, a voice of reason [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm okay with him having a larger role than a 1-2 minutes cameo. Actually, I kind of hope that he has a minor supportive role, instead of a one scene cameo.

A cameo of him popping into the screen, saying a one-liner and dissappearing with no further mention would be rather annoying and serve no purpose other than to pull me out of the movie to say hi to Orlando Bloom. Instead, if he stays around for a little longer and actually interacts with the other characters, he helps to flesh out his surroundings and the people around him. That would make his existence purposeful for the movie, not just a wink to the audience.

(Because I love Thranduil, I hope they don't demote him to an extra but let his personality and character show (to the measure it's possible for a supporting character to get much of a attention in such a huge cast) and interacting with Legolas seems to me a very possible and useable tool to establish his personality - and the "personality" of the whole Mirkwood.)

Plus, I think we should have buried Tolkien in a larger coffin, he probably cant turn very well in his. -Rossmonster

sueb1863
Rivendell

Sep 1 2011, 10:18am

Post #14 of 20 (6131 views)
Shortcut
I think so, too [In reply to] Can't Post

I think PJ is going to use Legolas in part to build some continuity between TH and LotR, at least as far as the dwarf and elf feud goes. If we see Legolas openly disdainful of the dwarves here, it'll connect to his dislike of Gimli in LotR, and add more meaning to the fact that he eventually changes his mind and they become close friends anyway.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2011, 2:57pm

Post #15 of 20 (6105 views)
Shortcut
Voice of caution and distrust [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think PJ is going to use Legolas in part to build some continuity between TH and LotR, at least as far as the dwarf and elf feud goes. If we see Legolas openly disdainful of the dwarves here, it'll connect to his dislike of Gimli in LotR, and add more meaning to the fact that he eventually changes his mind and they become close friends anyway.

Agreed. Legolas cannot be chummy with Dwarves by the end of TH:2.

This goes along with my "pet theory" relating to him and Tauriel described in an earlier post of a week or so ago. In short, I think we will get to see a different side of Legolas, one that emphasizes his distrust of the Dwarves even more than what we saw in FOTR.

Remember how he represented the voice of caution in the Fellowship--hurry up, I sense danger, we need to keep moving, etc. I think that part of him will remain a constant in TH. He will represent the voice of caution by discouraging Thranduil from trusting the Dwarves. That is what I predict, anyway.

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Maylily
The Shire

Sep 1 2011, 3:23pm

Post #16 of 20 (6130 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Legolas will have a purpose. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I was thinking. I would much rather have Legolas interact with Thranduil and others in a meaningful way that would move the story along, rather than him just popping out for a minute or two. I'm also hoping they flesh out Thranduil and Mirkwood more as well.

PattyJB
Rivendell

Sep 1 2011, 10:22pm

Post #17 of 20 (6091 views)
Shortcut
Orlando and PJ - fashionistas? [In reply to] Can't Post

I cracked up when I saw this article about Orlando and PJ taking in a fashion show/competition. I hope they are not costume idea shopping for the Mirkwood Elves! Wink

A big moment for Richmond's Julie Brawley was walking off the stage during the Brancott Estate World of WearableArt Awards and seeing filmmaker Peter Jackson and actor Orlando Bloom applauding her.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...-by-Julies-addiction

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Sep 2 2011, 1:24am

Post #18 of 20 (6050 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

and I definitely want to see more of his mistrust and disdain toward the dwarves.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Sep 2 2011, 3:53am

Post #19 of 20 (6009 views)
Shortcut
They could [In reply to] Can't Post

Want him in the background for a lot of scenes along with the ones in Mirkwood which is adding up to be a lot of time. Maybe...

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilė.

End of line.

Ruijor
Rohan

Sep 2 2011, 5:15am

Post #20 of 20 (6974 views)
Shortcut
I“m amazed that some of you still think of Legolas as a cameo appearence... [In reply to] Can't Post

From my point of view he will be as relevant(to say the least) as his father will.

(This post was edited by Ruijor on Sep 2 2011, 5:15am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.