Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My greatest fear is that the two Hobbit movies will look like Avatar
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 30 2011, 12:52pm

Post #1 of 72 (2879 views)
Shortcut
My greatest fear is that the two Hobbit movies will look like Avatar Can't Post

or even "Rise of the Planet of Apes". I guess the best description I can give what I am talking about is "realistic but not real". I dislike the over processed feel of a lot of the new movies.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Durin

Aug 30 2011, 1:27pm

Post #2 of 72 (1481 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think PJ will be trying to recapture much of the look of the trilogy. Plus, with so much set-work, and tons of outdoor shooting in the beautiful backdrop of New Zealand, I think it will feel a lot more rustic. Just my thoughts. ;)

-Durin

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 30 2011, 1:50pm

Post #3 of 72 (1450 views)
Shortcut
It is not the sets they use or the locations they shoot in. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is something about the look or feel of the final product. 3-D only intensifies the problem.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 30 2011, 2:09pm

Post #4 of 72 (1391 views)
Shortcut
Is it age? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can ask that ageist question cause I have the same problem with intensely cgi scenes. My old eyes seem to have difficulty grasping the separate cgi elements. They seem to slide right off the effects unless I make a conscience effort to focus. For example certain cgi intensive scenes in the later Star Wars films leave me more frustrated than amazed. And the entirely green-screened film Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow (2004) was especially problematical. The film was incredibly detailed, yet I had to strain to even come close to appreciating it. Maybe the younger you are the more ability you have to lose yourself in cgi.

As for 3-D, I seem to be able to appreciate it best in fully animated films. Though it was impressive in Avatar (2009), I found the calmer sequences more comprehensible, while the massive battle scenes tended to be confusing.

How many months to Hobbiton?
Six and ten.
Can I get there by candle-light?
Yes, there and back again.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2011, 2:13pm

Post #5 of 72 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Well, for me I never thought of the Na'vi as CG characters because they were so lifelike it made them just look like actors with makeup and prosthetics, but I can see what you mean.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Aug 30 2011, 2:21pm

Post #6 of 72 (1312 views)
Shortcut
I see what you are getting at. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think part of that problem is when a typical average theater shows a film designed to be see at a higher resolution then it's projector is able to display, it's print is compressed down and is shown at around say 1.5K resolution where as the film itself is around 4-6K, the CGI begins to look more artificial because all the extra fine detail is lost. Plus when you throw in the whole 48 FPS change etc., I'll make a safe bet that if you make sure to see it in a digital IMAX theater that is projected at 48 FPS it will look phenomenal.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Aug 30 2011, 2:23pm

Post #7 of 72 (1305 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking otherwise Kangi [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that actual sets (bigatures?), make up, the natural setting of NZ and other such things will make this look more medieval with some realistic but not real elements.

Don't worry until we see footage, Mister Ska. :)

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Lindele
Gondor

Aug 30 2011, 3:00pm

Post #8 of 72 (1259 views)
Shortcut
I think that [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson prefers and relies on a more organic look, feel, setting than James Cameron. The fact that PJ used a lot of miniatures and matte paintings on LOTR gives me hope that The Hobbit will not look like the films you have described. He is more old fashioned than Cameron for sure.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2011, 4:11pm

Post #9 of 72 (1208 views)
Shortcut
The Look [In reply to] Can't Post

I know what you mean. But I think The Hobbit will look better than the typical young reader fantasy franchises they turn into eye-candy movies that don't look so real. e.g., Narnia, Golden Compass, etc.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2011, 4:55pm

Post #10 of 72 (1204 views)
Shortcut
LOTR didn't look real in a number of places... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bound
Rohan

Aug 30 2011, 5:00pm

Post #11 of 72 (1163 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

And its only going to look even more "clean" because of the frames per second.....

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 30 2011, 5:04pm

Post #12 of 72 (1223 views)
Shortcut
What was weird.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...was that in some places where it didn't look real it turned out it was, and in some places where I'd swear it was real it wasn't.

Six and ten.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 30 2011, 6:22pm

Post #13 of 72 (1156 views)
Shortcut
I was certain [In reply to] Can't Post

the valley backdrop to Edoras was a painting. I felt like a right fool when I was told it was real! In my own country!

Some Kiwi I am. Wink

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Durin

Aug 30 2011, 6:24pm

Post #14 of 72 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Right, like... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in TT when Legolas swung himself onto the horse at the start of the warg fight- I could've sworn that was CGI! ;) Just kidding, I know what you mean, though.

I feel like sometimes CGI is almost too good, to the point that you can pick it out.

The 3D thing does worry me, though. I hope the movie doesn't have too many cheesy 3D shots, I'm waiting for that gimmick to fade back into the 90's.

-Durin

Finrod
Rohan

Aug 30 2011, 7:20pm

Post #15 of 72 (1108 views)
Shortcut
invisible CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I feel like sometimes CGI is almost too good, to the point that you can pick it out.

If you can pick it out, it isn’t that good.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Aug 30 2011, 7:36pm

Post #16 of 72 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Don't you mean fade back to the 50's? [In reply to] Can't Post

The 3D thing does worry me, though. I hope the movie doesn't have too many cheesy 3D shots, I'm waiting for that gimmick to fade back into the 90's.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2011, 7:45pm

Post #17 of 72 (1091 views)
Shortcut
That is definitely true. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ uses greenscreens and bluescreens when he must, but usually only in necessity, when it can't be done any other way. The Hobbit doesn't exactly call for the type of CGI that Avatar used, because Cameron was creating a world that didn't exist at all, and everything from the flowers and trees had to be designed and created on computers.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2011, 8:03pm

Post #18 of 72 (1069 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't worry. [In reply to] Can't Post

They would have to completely neglect WETA workshop, and all the work that Richard Taylor puts into prosthesis and weapons and make-up, and all the great things that all those people work on. The locations will be there in the film, they won't be created with CGI (with the possible exception of Mirkwood), the people will be there, they won't be CGI creations. Obviously there's going to be CGI, just as there was in Lord of the Rings, but the computers have advanced so much over the years, that it will be even harder to discern. As others have said, so much of the LotR deceived people, as they thought some things were fake when they were real, or some things were real when they were fake. I have full faith in Lesnie, Dan Hennah, and Richard Taylor, and the creative people at WETA who make everything look so amazing for the cameras. I think Peter will go for the same look, if not a little brighter or cheerier, for these movies. Your fears may be put to rest when the trailers hit.

I know how you feel though, I can't help but think these dark thoughts at the back of my mind all the time, such as "what if they don't put all the effort and work into these movies as they did with LotR?" or "what if they aren't as good as LotR, will it tarnish the legacy of those films?"...but I think all of those questions come out of love for the world in which they're making these movies. That anxiety probably won't go away until the trailers are released, and we see that it's just as it always was, like the team just naturally went into the project from LotR. But hey, it can't be all that bad if The Hobbit turns out like Avatar, that film received pretty great reviews (for the most part), became the highest grossing film of all time, and won the Golden Globe for Best Picture, and was nominated for 9 Academy Awards. I'll be a very happy man if those same things happen with these films (without the Pocahontas and Fern Gully comparisons of course...Wink).

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 30 2011, 8:08pm

Post #19 of 72 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Blue hobbits? [In reply to] Can't Post

If New Line thought Tolkien's legal team was tough, just wait till they go up against Peyo's!

Six and ten.

Durin

Aug 30 2011, 8:41pm

Post #20 of 72 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Right. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

If you can pick it out, it isn’t that good.

Point taken. What I mean is, sometimes things almost look too clear when it's CGI. I'm not sure how to explain it. Maybe it's something in the shadowing and shading of the subject.

-Durin

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2011, 8:42pm

Post #21 of 72 (1065 views)
Shortcut
That would bother me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I found Avatar kind of dizzying to watch. It was an okay movie, but the basic plot has been done to death before, even specifically by James Cameron (Dances with Wolves anyone? -- I thought that movie was better.) The only reason to really see that film is for the CGI, and it did bother me when I watched it on the big screen. CGI is a little too "perfect looking" and makes people look like rubber to me.

The interesting thing is that computer animated movies like Shrek don't bother me in the same way. Maybe because it's not intended to look photorealistic.

However, I think PJ really likes practical effects. Why waste the money and time on CGI with something that can be done just as well practically? CGI should only be used in a live action film where a practical effect won't work, in my opinion. It makes sense to me to use it in combination with a practical effect, to help make the practical effect look more real, for example (like adding waving flags to a bigature shot.) That or for something like the Massive shots in LotR.

Hopefully, PJ will continue to stick with his pattern with practical effects.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Marionette
Rohan

Aug 30 2011, 8:56pm

Post #22 of 72 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe The Hobbit will look more realistic than LOTR trilogy.
They will use 10 years of better technology.
It has to look way better and more realistic!!

I wouldn´t compare Avatar to the Hobbit, however...Avatar looks truly amazing and realistic to me (3D-theaters version and the DVD-TV-version as well)

Anywayz to me they are both different things.
Blush

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

LordMaximus
Rivendell

Aug 30 2011, 8:58pm

Post #23 of 72 (1067 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure Weta can do better than the Scorpion King in the Mummy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you are forgetting already how detailed the digital doubles and characters such as Gollum were, and remember Gollum’s face was ‘hand animated’ (for the lack of knowing a better term) rather than mo cap? The level of polish in these films was very high and i would doubt that they would risk anything less for the hobbit.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30 2011, 9:04pm

Post #24 of 72 (1053 views)
Shortcut
I still couldn't quite believe it was real [In reply to] Can't Post

when I was standing on top of the hill itself. So ridiculously beautiful.

Boardwalk in mangroves

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2011, 9:18pm

Post #25 of 72 (1065 views)
Shortcut
My greatest fear is that the two Hobbit movies won't be great (beyond the looks). // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.