Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door..."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2011, 4:31am

Post #1 of 23 (458 views)
Shortcut
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door..." Can't Post

Okay. Deep breath.

For those of you who have followed my previous updates about my hopes and dreams for my future - you will know that I desire nothing so much as to be involved in filmmaking. I have long honed my skills as an editor, and have dreams of becoming a director. Over the past couple years, I have dreamed and fantasized about numerous courses which would lead me to this eventuality. Of course, that type of thing only serves to irritate you in the long run. Dreaming without action is fraught with disappointment. So late last year, I began the process of applying to film school (FSU). I knew of the perils that went with this (film school not being the best way to make it in Hollywood and all that). Still, I felt it would put me in touch with others who loved filmmaking as much as I do. Alas, despite making it to the interview stage, and eventually being placed on an alternates list - I fear that ship has sailed.

I'm disappointed to say that I've licked my wounds, so to speak, for many months. I coped by plunging into the works of G.R.R. Martin's 'Song of Ice and Fire' books and tried to take each day at a time - telling myself that another door would open. Well, there's waiting for a door to open, and then there's finding one yourself and kicking it down.

I have a select number of former co-workers who have relocated to Los Angeles in the past couple years (one of which was a fellow photographer at the news station I work at - who also has an great love for films). So I have resolved that if they can make it out there, I can certainly make a go of it. I have spent practically all of my young life saving up, and I'll never be in a better position to do something like this than now. I am heading out there on a week long trip next month to scout out places to live and hopefully narrow down some places I might be able to find work.

My friends have advised me to take what I can get and accept any and all freelance work and internships I can locate - and, above all, talk to as many people as I possibly can. As a longtime shy person, I find this to be one of the most terrifying prospects I've ever heard of - but I suppose that's why it seems like the best thing in the world. Smile

I have no notion of where this course will truly lead me. I have my hopes of course - but I'm well aware of the fact that things rarely work out as we intend them. I do know, however, that I'm sick and tired of playing things safe. Each day seems to wither away, and I find myself both intellectually and emotionally unsatisfied. Maybe I'll look back at this as a mistake in the future, but I don't want to live my life regretting a chance I never took.

"...you step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Aug 18 2011, 4:34am)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 18 2011, 4:47am

Post #2 of 23 (261 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it, though! But! [In reply to] Can't Post

that's where actual "life" is, in my opinion. You said: "but I don't want to live my life regretting a chance I never took." I think it highly unlikely you'll ever regret taking this chance, even if it doesn't go as expected. You might even find a better, more exciting path, if only just because you've set yourself in motion!

All best wishes--and do keep us posted!SmileSmileSmile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 18 2011, 4:49am

Post #3 of 23 (414 views)
Shortcut
Good on you for putting yourself out there. [In reply to] Can't Post

No change is easy, but you will always learn and grow from your experiences. Good on you AtE!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 18 2011, 8:07pm

Post #4 of 23 (217 views)
Shortcut
I can't say it any better than Ethel did [In reply to] Can't Post

The best of luck on your journey!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 18 2011, 8:43pm

Post #5 of 23 (209 views)
Shortcut
Six months [In reply to] Can't Post

Get six months of filmmaking experience and doors should start opening for you.

Of course it can sometimes take a few years to get that six months....

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2011, 10:49pm

Post #6 of 23 (211 views)
Shortcut
Please receive my heartfelt best wishes of success! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know these things are tough, but doing them is rewarding. There will be tough days ahead, but just to quote James A.Owen, a very good author and a great man: "Never give up what you want most for what you want most at the moment."

Best of luck.

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2011, 1:37am

Post #7 of 23 (198 views)
Shortcut
Go for it! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're young, you have the freedom to move out there, and friends to help guide you - some have started on far less! You never know what may come of the things you try.

May you fare well, wherever you fare, and who knows...maybe the wind will change...Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Aug 19 2011, 1:53am

Post #8 of 23 (190 views)
Shortcut
I wish you all the best. [In reply to] Can't Post

Going out and meeting people is probably the way to go. In that field it's who you know.
My uncle made a movie, "A Tale About Bootlegging" we even had Sonny Shroyer (Dukes of Hazzard) but despite good acting, filmaking etc, it just didn't sell.
It really is about getting contacts and knowing people in the know.
Anything in entertainment industry is hard, but I wish you all the best in your film making endeavors!

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 19 2011, 2:16am

Post #9 of 23 (207 views)
Shortcut
I have a niece who headed to LA to follow her dreams... [In reply to] Can't Post

She ended up working on the crew for a few films, got her name in the credits a few times, went to work for a casting agent, and met a great guy -- they just got married, too, and she has some of the best wedding photos I've ever seen because of all the great photographers she met out there!

Her brother followed her out there, and is doing just fine doing sound-mixing kind of work for videos, etc.

I'm not sure what adventure my niece was hoping to have, but she followed her dream and it turned into a very nice life for her -- and opened the door for a family member to join her and do the same.

It sounds like you've got the perfect attitude to be open and smart about taking this chance -- so go for it and do us proud and tell us all about it!

Weaver

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 19 2011, 4:49am

Post #10 of 23 (230 views)
Shortcut
Great quote! Thank you-- [In reply to] Can't Post

That actually hit the spot for me right now (and really, that thought would work almostt any time any where for any one! Smile )

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2011, 9:22am

Post #11 of 23 (181 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad, and I agree. It should always be taken into account! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

shirehobbit
Rivendell

Aug 19 2011, 3:54pm

Post #12 of 23 (185 views)
Shortcut
i hope your swept off to a great adventure! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish you the best of luck out there! I dream of doing so myself some day and know the feeling of wishing for that success.
I hope you reach your goals.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 20 2011, 3:16pm

Post #13 of 23 (181 views)
Shortcut
Don't EVER regret following your heart :) [In reply to] Can't Post

If you never made this move and took this chance, then you would have sincere regret in the future. The "what if's* would drive you nuts! WHAT IF I'd gone to California when I had the chance? WHAT IF I'd taken that Fast Food Manager job instead of the freelance job? You should never second-guess following your heart.

I've started over so many times, it's ridiculous! My Mom... just yesterday... gave me 2 pages she just ripped out of her old address book. Since 1970, my addresses cover 3 full pages (both sides and most of another). And those are just the ones where I stayed in one place long enought to receive mail. We (now-ex, 2 kids & I) moved 22 times in 20 years from Michigan to Florida to Colorado to Indiana and a lot of short stops in-between. I finally landed where I belonged here in Central Michigan. I'd never appreciate what I have or feel so fulfilled if I hadn't experienced every step taken before now. Though... at the time during all those moves... I was totally anxious/fearful of what was to come and what I should do next and so sad at not having a home.... which is when I found LotR. I really REALLY related to Frodo, Sam, Merry, & Pippin as they wandered homeless. It became my lifeline during all those years... and it still is :)

Doors will open to guide you where you're meant to be! They'll slam shut when you shouldn't go. It sounds like your door is wide open, and I'm so proud of you for walking through it. No matter what comes of this move, don't regret taking the chance and following your dream. If you go into it with an open heart and firm fix on what you want, everything will fall into place. You may end up doing something you totally don't expect... but you'll know if it's right in your heart.

Good Luck! Seize the day!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 20 2011, 6:28pm

Post #14 of 23 (219 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful, Gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

and this gives me hope, as I too attempt to re-start my life in several different areas (even though moving somewhere isn't part of it, it's still a pretty big deal . . .).

I'm going to save this post of yours and take a peek every now and then when I need a "boost."

Smile [inline Bearded IrisC.jp2]

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 20 2011, 7:38pm

Post #15 of 23 (173 views)
Shortcut
Well, Pooh! My Picture didn't Post! I wanted to send you a little flower, [In reply to] Can't Post

but the site is acting weird and it isn't showing up in the image window.

I'll try again later!Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2011, 9:03pm

Post #16 of 23 (153 views)
Shortcut
It looks like [In reply to] Can't Post

you're trying to post "Bearded IrisC.jp2"

And that's exactly the name in your uploaded images. Did you have one that was .jpg instead of .jp2, that you could upload? I think that's where the problem is.

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 20 2011, 9:23pm

Post #17 of 23 (179 views)
Shortcut
Aha! I don't even know what a jp2 is. (Aaargh, computers!). Here goes . . . // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 20 2011, 9:29pm

Post #18 of 23 (198 views)
Shortcut
Here Gramma--I've been trying to give you this flower all day! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2011, 9:33pm

Post #19 of 23 (152 views)
Shortcut
Aww! Pretty! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 21 2011, 12:09am

Post #20 of 23 (199 views)
Shortcut
It's from my yard, but unfortunately, [In reply to] Can't Post

it hasn't grown flowers in 2 years and it's only 4 years old. I gave it bone meal this spring to no avail. The leaves look great, but I want my Gandalf Iris (beard and all)!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 21 2011, 5:28pm

Post #21 of 23 (180 views)
Shortcut
*massive smile* Wonderful!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Awww Ethel D... this is so lovely. You can't see it, but I'm sitting here with a huge smile on my face!

Thank you for your lovely note on my post, too :) *sticks toe in dirt*

No fear, m'dear!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 21 2011, 6:23pm

Post #22 of 23 (151 views)
Shortcut
: ) So glad you liked it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a massive flower too--I kept walking outside to look at it for days until it went. It's nice it can still make people happy fror a long time to come (the wonders of photography!Smile)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2011, 5:13am

Post #23 of 23 (236 views)
Shortcut
Thank you all... [In reply to] Can't Post

..for your kind wishes. I am most impatient to get moving. I the past weeks, the knowledge of what I'm about to embark upon has made me a wreck. Not so much because I fear what I'm about to do (though there's that too Wink), but because I realize the extreme 'lack' of living I've been doing. Pitiful as it may sound, I can't recall too many times in the past few years that I've been genuinely happy. I've been urged by those close to me to expand my interests, go out, be more open to things. But try those things as I may, my moments of pure joy have been reserved for darkened theaters, turning pages, and the sound of heart-achingly beautiful music entering my ears; and, unfortunately, I have found no one with whom these joys mean all that much to. I must say, there are times I feel like Antonio Salieri, reacting to the ridicule of his father, saying "How could I tell him what music meant to me?"

Not that I expect great change simply from moving. I know great effort will be required from me to reach out to those who might share such passions - but, at least, I feel I have a greater shot at finding those kindred spirits in a place like L.A. than small, little Cape Coral, FL. God willing, I'll find them and carve out my own destiny.

One thing I will say, though - I've never felt a lack of support in the online department; there really is no kind of people like Tolkien fans. I'm not sure there's a more artistically inclined fandom out there - and you guys (and gals) have been right there for me throughout my (attempted) endeavors over the past year or so. I really appreciate it.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.