Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door..."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Gondor

Aug 18 2011, 4:31am

Views: 380
Shortcut
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door..." Can't Post

Okay. Deep breath.

For those of you who have followed my previous updates about my hopes and dreams for my future - you will know that I desire nothing so much as to be involved in filmmaking. I have long honed my skills as an editor, and have dreams of becoming a director. Over the past couple years, I have dreamed and fantasized about numerous courses which would lead me to this eventuality. Of course, that type of thing only serves to irritate you in the long run. Dreaming without action is fraught with disappointment. So late last year, I began the process of applying to film school (FSU). I knew of the perils that went with this (film school not being the best way to make it in Hollywood and all that). Still, I felt it would put me in touch with others who loved filmmaking as much as I do. Alas, despite making it to the interview stage, and eventually being placed on an alternates list - I fear that ship has sailed.

I'm disappointed to say that I've licked my wounds, so to speak, for many months. I coped by plunging into the works of G.R.R. Martin's 'Song of Ice and Fire' books and tried to take each day at a time - telling myself that another door would open. Well, there's waiting for a door to open, and then there's finding one yourself and kicking it down.

I have a select number of former co-workers who have relocated to Los Angeles in the past couple years (one of which was a fellow photographer at the news station I work at - who also has an great love for films). So I have resolved that if they can make it out there, I can certainly make a go of it. I have spent practically all of my young life saving up, and I'll never be in a better position to do something like this than now. I am heading out there on a week long trip next month to scout out places to live and hopefully narrow down some places I might be able to find work.

My friends have advised me to take what I can get and accept any and all freelance work and internships I can locate - and, above all, talk to as many people as I possibly can. As a longtime shy person, I find this to be one of the most terrifying prospects I've ever heard of - but I suppose that's why it seems like the best thing in the world. Smile

I have no notion of where this course will truly lead me. I have my hopes of course - but I'm well aware of the fact that things rarely work out as we intend them. I do know, however, that I'm sick and tired of playing things safe. Each day seems to wither away, and I find myself both intellectually and emotionally unsatisfied. Maybe I'll look back at this as a mistake in the future, but I don't want to live my life regretting a chance I never took.

"...you step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Aug 18 2011, 4:34am)

Subject User Time
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door..." Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Aug 18 2011, 4:31am
    Isn't it, though! But! Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Aug 18 2011, 4:47am
    Good on you for putting yourself out there. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Aug 18 2011, 4:49am
    I can't say it any better than Ethel did Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Aug 18 2011, 8:07pm
    Six months Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Aug 18 2011, 8:43pm
    Please receive my heartfelt best wishes of success! Compa_Mighty Send a private message to Compa_Mighty Aug 18 2011, 10:49pm
        Great quote! Thank you-- Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Aug 19 2011, 4:49am
            I'm glad, and I agree. It should always be taken into account! :-) // Compa_Mighty Send a private message to Compa_Mighty Aug 19 2011, 9:22am
    Go for it! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Aug 19 2011, 1:37am
    I wish you all the best. aranelthehobbit22 Send a private message to aranelthehobbit22 Aug 19 2011, 1:53am
    I have a niece who headed to LA to follow her dreams... weaver Send a private message to weaver Aug 19 2011, 2:16am
    i hope your swept off to a great adventure! shirehobbit Send a private message to shirehobbit Aug 19 2011, 3:54pm
    Don't EVER regret following your heart :) grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Aug 20 2011, 3:16pm
        Beautiful, Gramma Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Aug 20 2011, 6:28pm
        Well, Pooh! My Picture didn't Post! I wanted to send you a little flower, Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Aug 20 2011, 7:38pm
            It looks like dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Aug 20 2011, 9:03pm
                Aha! I don't even know what a jp2 is. (Aaargh, computers!). Here goes . . . // Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Aug 20 2011, 9:23pm
        Here Gramma--I've been trying to give you this flower all day! :D Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Aug 20 2011, 9:29pm
            Aww! Pretty! // dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Aug 20 2011, 9:33pm
                It's from my yard, but unfortunately, Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Aug 21 2011, 12:09am
            *massive smile* Wonderful!! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Aug 21 2011, 5:28pm
                : ) So glad you liked it! Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Aug 21 2011, 6:23pm
    Thank you all... Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Aug 30 2011, 5:13am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.